Scorched Earth DLC - Impressions, Suggestions & More

Picolo XL

DISCLAIMER:

I have NOT played the DLC long enought to know it up to a level where I can say I know it, so all of the following is based on first impressions AND longer throughts I had over the last weeks (Especially for "The Gateway"/Cross-ARK-Travel)

DISCLAIMER 2:

This Thread is (as usual) not ment to be insulting in any way nor do I want to despise anyone. I always try to keep it as constructive as possible, so we will not just have another meaningless post out there.

The "Positives" about SE:

• New Map, new Items, new Dinos, new Weather, new Boss, new Survival experience, refreshed motivation for veterans.
  • $$$ for Studio Wildcard, that is needed to continue improving the game (Oh well, this will get quoted alot)

Well there is more I just did not think about right now, but I guess you are not here to see what is so good about the DLC anyways, If I would only want to gratulate for a super awesome DLC I could just tweet that to anyone, Wont be recognized anyways.

The "Negatives"/"Improvements" of SE:

• The Gateway AKA Cross-ARK-Travel

There is one big problem I have with this part. I do simply not like to have a content that is not accessable by everyone "for free" BUT allowes people from foreign servers to migrate their stuff to your server. It could actually have been worse if we would have been able to transfer items/dinos from "The Island"/"The Center" to "SE"/"Island"/"Center", but still it remains fact, that alot of servers will be flooded by tribes from others servers (that are probably really into the game and got alot of good Stuff on their Scorched Earth Server).

Sadly we aint play barbies horsefarm, so I do not expect those tribes to join any server to "impress their friends", but rather to "Have fun" for a while before leaving it destructed. (Yes, you cannot transfer your stuff back in this case, but the tribes/people I am talking about will own more then one wyvern.)

The other problem I have with all of this "Cross-ARK" is, that the newly added stuff fits perfectly into the Scorched Earth map but has in my opinion no reason to exist neither on "The Island" nor "The Center". The items you can craft are actually acceptable to have on those maps (Well idk about flamethrower but w.e.) but the dinos are not.

My Suggestion:

We can live with the character transfer as it is right now, the items may also be accepted, but the Dinos have so many negative aspects (Unbalancing the current fauna, not fitting into the current fauna, not beeing accessable by everyone) that you probably should NOT allow them to be transfered. (I am especially talking about Wyverns and Rock Elementals, but the others do not fit aswell). Another way to solve this problem i parts would be, that you can only transfer items/dinos to the server you were coming from (from where you uploaded your character)

• The added content compared to the price

After playing for roughtly two hours and some more singleplayer exploration I already feel what I kind of expected. The DLC seems big and beautiful, has a map size comparable to the Island, BUT it already feels like I have seen everything after 2 hours. It is pretty much alot of sandstone-rocks in different sizes together with some new creatures.

Normal Ressources (especially metal) are rare on the SE so I would guess it is expected from the players to build out of the new tier "adobe" (I think you can compare it to stone but I may be prooven wrong)

Aside from the new creatures you can find alot of old dinos on SE. I was kinda surprised to see a big amount of direwolfes (Do they owe a build-in air-conditioner?)..

Sure there are also some new great-looking caves, the wyvern-canyon and a big amount of pre-build ruins/structures and of course the death-worms and the new boss... but in the end we have 50 new items and 9 new dinos in an DLC that is on nearly the same price as the main game. It does not feel like I could play on SE for a long period of time as I do now on the island. That is due to the fact of lesser amounts of unique dinos, low amounts of ressource incomes and because of the general feeling that there is not much to do.

My Suggestion:

I would never suggest to lower the price or making the DLC completely free. I was thinking along time about the future incomes of Studio Wildcard and with the right amount of content added with such an DLC it think this is a good way to earn money. What I suggest instead is, that Scorched Earth gets updated frequently, adding more dino-varitie and maybe some more structure-tiers. (I would actually like not to have acess on the wood,stone,metal-tiers from the main game. Give the players somethign that is actually compareable to the main-game and they are happy to pay 20€ for it. I understand that you cannot release a DLC of the full size of the main game as the main game itselve build up over a long period of time. So the promise that this DLC wont stay as it is now would probably help people to accept paying money for it.

I probably missed alot of my throughts I had so far but this are the things I am thinking the most about right now. 

I hope some other players will join this post, confirm what I said or proove me a fool.

Sincerely,

The Picolo which is neither from Dragonball Z nor some kind of alcohol.

Archived