WC should LEARN from this.

Trikky

The DLC is actually great, I would say better than the core game (look and design wise). I think it is worth the $20.

But older players are upset and have every right to be.
It is not because of the $20 DLC.
It is not because the game is not finished yet.
IT IS because after a month of waiting for some expected new dinos and features, and something REALLY BIG, they got some ceiling doors and an FPS drop. THAT IS IT.
So yeah, if you are not spending the $20 on the DLC, then essentually, because of the FPS drop, you got a game worse than the one you had 30 days ago. 
Allos and Titans still walk into your bases, dinos still vanish, and you feel like nothing was worked on in the core game because of this DLC.

Hope WC understands this and will not make the same mistake in the future.
If you are going to release a DLC all the best to you, I hope it is as good as this one, but, at the same time, dont cheat your core game in the process and  skip on the promised content

13 minutes ago, Trikky said:

The DLC is actually great, I would say better than the core game (look and design wise). I think it is worth the $20.

IT IS because after a month of waiting for some expected new dinos and features, and something REALLY BIG, they got some ceiling doors and an FPS drop. THAT IS IT.
So yeah, if you are not spending the $20 on the DLC, then essentually, because of the FPS drop, you got a game worse than the one you had 30 days ago. 
Allos and Titans still walk into your bases, dinos still vanish, and you feel like nothing was worked on in the core game because of this DLC.

If you are going to release a DLC all the best to you, I hope it is as good as this one, but, at the same time, dont cheat your core game in the process and  skip on the promised content

KInd of a strawman argument here, the FPS problem has already been patched.

Every new patch brings bugs, most of which are patched shortly after, nothing new here.

Every other new patch is missing something important, nothing new there.

So what are you really upset about, maybe that you didn't get the DLC for free?

Not any real new mistakes here, same old stuff that is the same as any software that is not released yet. Nothing that you shouldn't be aware of if you read any of the disclaimers.

the expansion looks boring. its's the most dull type of terrain and enviornment to be in.

the Island is still the greatest and gorgeous ARK map, best wildlife, etc.

they have no staff to optimize the base game?  if they are gonna leave it like DayZ unoptimized, at least official say the game is finalized so Sony can accept it for porting.

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, DragoValhar said:

Only reason I'm pissed off at all is that this is setting a precedent that can be abused to high hell by shady companies. I'm only hoping that Wildcard has good intentions and actually needs the money.

The expansion pack (optional content someone else pays for that can interact with the rest of the community that didn't) is a principle not far detached from the likes of founders packs (optional content someone else pays for that can interact with the rest of the community that didn't). To say that it's setting a precedent is just speaking out of misinformation.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

The expansion pack (optional content someone else pays for that can interact with the rest of the community that didn't) is a principle not far detached from the likes of founders packs (optional content someone else pays for that can interact with the rest of the community that didn't). To say that it's setting a precedent is just speaking out of misinformation.

That is not remotely what a Founder's pack is. What founders packs have you been looking at? And it IS a precedent. There is no other early access game on steam that has released a paid DLC the likes of Scorched Earth before leaving Early Access. You can not deny that. My friends and I looked for well over an hour. Show me one other game that has released a $20 DLC while still in Early Access. I'll wait.

All the founders packs I've ever found were usually:

A. Basically Preorder Bonuses

B. Available to Non Founders via game mechanics, spawning it in does NOT count. (Skins are an Exception here, many games do give out cosmetics that aren't available to anyone but the founders.)

C. In game currency to be used on purchases in the micro transaction portals.

1 hour ago, Trikky said:

Constructive criticism done right, pay attention.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Seriously?! I hope you know you are really just making this worse.

3 hours ago, successxx said:

the expansion looks boring. its's the most dull type of terrain and enviornment to be in.

the Island is still the greatest and gorgeous ARK map, best wildlife, etc.

they have no staff to optimize the base game?  if they are gonna leave it like DayZ unoptimized, at least official say the game is finalized so Sony can accept it for porting.

It is a freaking desert that happens to be very hot. Not sure if you were expecting a tropical forest on the map.

2 hours ago, waterKeeper said:

Constructive criticism done right, pay attention.

It would be constructive if he hadn't forgotten to mention that the new dinos that "we didn't get" are late not missing altogether and will be arriving next week.

So if the "missing" content is all that's important he's just throwing a tantrum about a weeks delay.

13 minutes ago, Greygor said:

It would be constructive if he hadn't forgotten to mention that the new dinos that "we didn't get" are late not missing altogether and will be arriving next week.

So if the "missing" content is all that's important he's just throwing a tantrum about a weeks delay.

I agree, I'm seriously not getting what everyone is so upset about.

If it is that they want the new content for free and don't want to pay for it, that really makes no sense to me. It is just $20. I've spent over $1000 on my PC that I use to play this game, $20 is a drop in the bucket. Are there that many people that are somehow borrowing or getting a PC given to them, but have to buy their own games and can't afford it?

Do they not want ARK to be improved? WC is not a charity that works for free, they must generate income somehow. Their income will either come from new players or from new paid content. If they only give free content to existing players, they won't be able to continue adding to the game.

New content has been delayed many times previously, and of course many complained then too, but this time it seems a bit different, almost like an organized attack against the game. Possibly the game has not just collected that many pissed off players, and now is as good a time as any to complain?

On 9/2/2016 at 3:27 PM, ciabattaroll said:

I'm still waiting for this other Early Access game that released a $20 expansion.

46 minutes ago, DragoValhar said:

I'm still waiting for this other Early Access game that released a $20 expansion.

Paid content release during the development faze is extremely common.

All an "Expansion Pack" is, in essence, is a collection of paid for premium content... commonly offered by many companies during development.

The only difference is that they are using Steams DLC mechanic instead of direct download.

Edit:  Sorry for the edit, had to step away for a sec.

I have purchased entirely too much premium content from Wargaming over the years, much of it while the various games were in development phases.  

I purchased a Founder Pack from Obsidian Games during EA which contained unique tanks that would not be available to the rest of the player base for over a year... as well as unique, functional camo schemes.  They also had many other individual and groups of other premium vehicles available for sale during EA and now in Beta.

I've purchased huge amounts of premium content from Gaijin Entertainment (War Thunder) and it's still in Beta.  I may well purchase the premium ship packages they have available now to participate in testing the Alpha version of their new ship component (that will eventually be added to the main game... that is still in beta).

I am considering purchasing into Star Citizens development phase, and after giving other ships a trial run with in game currency then turning around and purchasing the ones I like with real currency so that I not only keep them but also further support the products that Roberts Space Industries is working on.

The list goes on and on.

Archived