Wildcard: I want to play the DLC and I want to give you money, but...

Junglist

4 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Just a couple of points, in no particular order.

Complaints about releasing DLC content before the core game is finished is a bit problematic.  As far as I can tell WildCard is still putting out regular updates and are sticking to the release schedule they revised months ago.  Revised, I might add, because the community kept pushing for more content to be added before release.

Complaints about "game breaking" bugs that aren't actually game breaking are questionable as well.  Yes, certain bugs can be very annoying... but hardly game breaking and for most players are not a common occurrence.  To the poster that asked if his lack of experiencing frequent bugs meant he was "just lucky?"... no, it means you're just an average player.  Most importantly, we aren't even to that point in the development cycle.  This is for obvious reasons that have been explained countless times on the forums of every EA and beta test forum I have ever participated in.

Complaints about paid content being released for a game that is still in development make little sense either, since there are countless games that have charged for additional content throughout their development process.  Many of which have gone on to be tremendously successful.  For an example currently in development I direct your attention to titles like War Thunder, among others.

Lastly, if you don't want to pay for the DLC then simply don't.  No one is forcing you to, and no one is blaming you if you don't choose to do so.  Wait until the game releases, or don't purchase it at all.  If you're in a tribe your tribe mates will likely bring back the cooler items for you to check out at your leisure and then make up your mind.

So far SE has had tremendously positive reviews, so you have nothing to lose by taking the "wait and see" approach.  There are other expansions to ARK currently in development, some will be to my taste while others likely will not be, so I'll be taking that same approach at some point.  However, while there are many issues where I don't see eye to eye with WildCards development strategy, but this isn't one of them.

Thank you for being logical and presenting your points like an adult. Great read.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TheRealTFreezy said:

Well as far as I know all those items are available on other arks as well. And if that's the case then it is just the map. If not then my info is wrong which is possible. 

So am I the only person that plays this game that has had minimal issues regarding bugs and stuff. Every person that has argued their point in this acts like they haven't been able to play half the time due to bugs, or lost thousands of Dino's. If so then wow I'm lucky but I've only lost 1 Dino and had 2 server wipes when the center released. That's it. So it seems to me that the dramatization of the matter is just to give your point more weight as apprised to talking about facts.

And so to you just removing the early access title on steam would make all this better? I just don't see this a malicious as so many seem to. I don't mind a game that has been one of my favorites ever asking for a little more money and in return adding the number one thing I've wanted in it, dragons. Plus the tons of other stuff you happily pointed out that are really cool. I'll support wildcard not only with feedback and my opinions but with funding.

and to end a little rant, games have be $60 for years. Yet the difference between ps2 and now is astronomical. A game running me half of a full one to then need $20 more is no issue at all, in my opinion games should be more, not because I want them to but because that's business.

Hi TheRealFrenzy,

With specific regard to the quoted post, you're very open about claiming that your experience doesn't conform with that of many people who have complaints about the state of the game. There's nothing wrong with that claim, but to make it and then somehow have that claim transmute into a declaration that dramatisation is being utilised on the part of other people in lieu of factual information is a little disingenuous.

These problems that people are complaining of are unequivocally subjective experiences. I'll be the first to concede that many people probably haven't had supremely frustrating experiences with the state of the game. I'm even willing to buy that you're one of them, which is fantastic for you! ARK is an amazing game and its wonderful that you've been able to get by without running into too many problems. But the fact that you haven't had problematic occurrences in no way diminishes that other people undoubtedly have. Furthermore, given the extremely subjective nature of said occurrences, you're not very well situated to assert whether or not someone is utilising excessive dramatisation in order to further their agenda or not, since you have absolutely no way to judge their relative experiences.

I personally have experienced significantly more problems whilst playing the game than you yourself claim to have encountered. Additionally, some of these problems I have encountered have significant, dare i say "dramatic", effects on my gameplay experience. As such, they may sound dramatic. They may BE dramatic and the level of drama involved with them may even serve to support the point that "bugs exist and are a problem that should be fixed.". This is however, not the same as unnecessarily dramatising the issue so as to make it appear worse than it actually is.

To my mind, there are a broad spectrum of issues occurring that impact gameplay in ARK's current state. These issues range from "minor" through to "game breakingly prohibitive". Firstly I think it's more than a little unfair to judge other people's claims based solely off your own experience in an environment which will undoubtedly provide a variable interaction on an individual basis. Secondly, it's rather misleading and even false to imply, even indirectly, that such a difference in experience is only dichotomal (no issues vs end-of-world issues) in its nature.

To clarify, I don't have a problem with your assertion that you havent had many issues and are willing to continue to support Wildcard by paying for additional DLC. That's fine. But equally, for people who have had significant problems and are not content with the release of DLC in the face of persisting issues that can have significant impact, I have no problem with them legitimately citing that this DLC upsets them and justifies no longer patronising the development studio.

As such, whilst I believe youre wholly entitled to your point of view, I truly fail to comprehend how, in this instance, your particular experience can have any real application to that of someone else for whom circumstances could be, and likely are in many cases, significantly different.

• Volunteer Moderator
32 minutes ago, Terradoss said:

Hi TheRealFrenzy,

With specific regard to the quoted post, you're very open about claiming that your experience doesn't conform with that of many people who have complaints about the state of the game. There's nothing wrong with that claim, but to make it and then somehow have that claim transmute into a declaration that dramatisation is being utilised on the part of other people in lieu of factual information is a little disingenuous.

These problems that people are complaining of are unequivocally subjective experiences. I'll be the first to concede that many people probably haven't had supremely frustrating experiences with the state of the game. I'm even willing to buy that you're one of them, which is fantastic for you! ARK is an amazing game and its wonderful that you've been able to get by without running into too many problems. But the fact that you haven't had problematic occurrences in no way diminishes that other people undoubtedly have. Furthermore, given the extremely subjective nature of said occurrences, you're not very well situated to assert whether or not someone is utilising excessive dramatisation in order to further their agenda or not, since you have absolutely no way to judge their relative experiences.

I personally have experienced significantly more problems whilst playing the game than you yourself claim to have encountered. Additionally, some of these problems I have encountered have significant, dare i say "dramatic", effects on my gameplay experience. As such, they may sound dramatic. They may BE dramatic and the level of drama involved with them may even serve to support the point that "bugs exist and are a problem that should be fixed.". This is however, not the same as unnecessarily dramatising the issue so as to make it appear worse than it actually is.

To my mind, there are a broad spectrum of issues occurring that impact gameplay in ARK's current state. These issues range from "minor" through to "game breakingly prohibitive". Firstly I think it's more than a little unfair to judge other people's claims based solely off your own experience in an environment which will undoubtedly provide a variable interaction on an individual basis. Secondly, it's rather misleading and even false to imply, even indirectly, that such a difference in experience is only dichotomal (no issues vs end-of-world issues) in its nature.

To clarify, I don't have a problem with your assertion that you havent had many issues and are willing to continue to support Wildcard by paying for additional DLC. That's fine. But equally, for people who have had significant problems and are not content with the release of DLC in the face of persisting issues that can have significant impact, I have no problem with them legitimately citing that this DLC upsets them and justifies no longer patronising the development studio.

As such, whilst I believe youre wholly entitled to your point of view, I truly fail to comprehend how, in this instance, your particular experience can have any real application to that of someone else for whom circumstances could be, and likely are in many cases, significantly different.

This is a post that should have been a paragraph but a thesaurus made it a book. 

7 hours ago, Terradoss said:

Hi TheRealFrenzy,

Ok so after pulling out my dictionary and making it through you novel I have one point to make. When I say I haven't had the amount of game breaking bugs people claim, that goes for me, and 95% of people I have played with. From friends I have been in a tribe with for hundreds of hours, to people I've met as I was hopping server to server. I have not spoken to one person that has encountered the amount of problems people on this forum claim happen to them nightly. 

Meow I am not doubting that those bad things have not happened to you, or to someone else, but if we were all being honest I would argue that 75% of people on here claiming all this happened to them is just regurgitating responses they have read by someone who read it from someone from someone who it actually happened to. But what sounds better? "I hate this dlc because the game is still broken and there are bugs that are ruining my experience, etc..." Or "I hate this dlc because this game is still broken, nothing has happened to me personally aside from losing one Dino but I heard it happened to this guy where his whole base fell through the map"

that is my point. Just because you aren't being dramatic and overexagerating your claims, does not mean many are.

5 minutes ago, LurchUSA said:

Well, they are treating this game as if was already released! Pushing out DLC for a game is something you do AFTER you release... unless they are either being deceitful or a desperate for cash.

What if their desires for what will be the full game has grown, their money has run low and they have had this planned for a while. We know this has been a thing for a significant amount of time, they released the mysterious mysteries thorny dragon a while back. They have said a hundred times, all the content has to be in the game before they can fix bugs. Each new patch with new content adds new problems and so taking the time to fix it before they have all the content they want for the main game actually released wouldn't be very productive. It is an optional dlc to provide more content while gaining more financial support. I just don't see the maliciousness of it.

here is what I have said above and I don't remember when or to who but at least when I buy this dlc I know that money is going to content going forward. As apposed to buying dlc for a released game that has a season pass of 3 dlcs already planned. 

6 minutes ago, TheRealTFreezy said:

at least when I buy this dlc I know that money is going to content going forward.

You sure about that? Do you have any proof that monies paid for this DLC will go into finishing off the current code base and content updates?

For all we know they probably have another SOTF spin-off in secret development, with the "Scorched Bank Account" DLC paying for it, or do they still have legal fees yet to be paid from when Trendy launched its lawsuit against Co-Founder and Lead Designer Jeremy Stieglitz in December 2015?

Also as a side note, from your past posts it appears either you're connected to Wildcard studio's in some fashion, or just a really rabid fan boy brown noising for brownie points. Nobody can be THAT oblivious to the reality of the situation... Just saying.

Lurch, the only thing removing the EA designation would do is actually give some validity to people's complaints.

They could then truthfully say that the game was released with major unfixed bugs.

You really need to understand that many games, by very reputable game companies, offer paid additional content during their development stage.

Whether that be paid premium vehicles, cosmetic items, functional camo schemes... the list goes on and on.

Invest some time actually thinking this through, save your outrage for something that actually deserves it, and realize that the core game is still on the same schedule it was on before this DLC came out.

5 minutes ago, LurchUSA said:

You sure about that? Do you have any proof that monies paid for this DLC will go into finishing off the current code base and content updates?

For all we know they probably have another SOTF spin-off in secret development, with the "Scorched Bank Account" DLC paying for it, or do they still have legal fees yet to be paid from when Trendy launched its lawsuit against Co-Founder and Lead Designer Jeremy Stieglitz in December 2015?

Also as a side note, from your past posts it appears either you're connected to Wildcard studio's in some fashion, or just a really rabid fan boy brown noising for brownie points. Nobody can be THAT oblivious to the reality of the situation... Just saying.

Lurch, like every game company in existence, as long as they are sticking as closely as possible to their tentative release date they can do whatever they like with THEIR money.

YOU gave them the money for access to a game still in development... which is exactly what you have received.  

1 minute ago, LurchUSA said:

1. No I'm not sure, but I want to play sotf as well so if my money goes to another great game then awesome.

2. If I'm paying legal fees from that then awesome. I get to spend a very little amount of money to get content that so far I prefer to the core game and I help keep the team working on it all employeed so they can finish. Win win.

3. I am in no way affiliated with wildcard other than I have played the poop out of their game. I'm a fan. I love the concepts. Have the messed up? Yeah. Have I raged on here? Yeah. I actually posted about 2 months ago that I quit, I was done. The running away mechanic made me so angry I was done playing. Obviously this was released and I'm back because I love dragons. But just because I'm not nerd raging about less than and hour of work (to make $20) to get to play something I have wanted since release. You can call me a brown nose, but your blind rage matches that of my 2 year old when I tell her she can't have a cookie before her dinner. 

2 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Lurch, the only thing removing the EA designation would do is actually give some validity to people's complaints.

That's the whole point of revoking their Early Access status. People have valid complaints and the rabid fanboy's are using EA as an excuse to dismiss their claims, for their WildCard overlords.

2 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

You really need to understand that many games, by very reputable game companies, offer paid additional content during their development stage.

Oh really?

Without citing MMORPG's, as they are always evolving, I'd like that list... and no, despite this game being multiplayer, it isn't on the "Massively" scale like WoW, GW2, etc.

7 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Whether that be paid premium vehicles, cosmetic items, functional camo schemes... the list goes on and on.

This is a very good point.

3 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Lurch, like every game company in existence, as long as they are sticking as closely as possible to their tentative release date they can do whatever they like with THEIR money.

OK, yes I paid for an Early Access game, but they are NOT as you put it, "sticking as closely as possible to their tentative release date".

As for it being their money, sure they can do whatever they like, as for MY money, they are no longer going to get any more of it until they fulfill their early access commitments.

That's the whole point of revoking their Early Access status. People have valid complaints and the rabid fanboy's are using EA as an excuse to dismiss their claims, for their WildCard overlords.

Oh really?

Without citing MMORPG's, as they are always evolving, I'd like that list... and no, despite this game being multiplayer, it isn't on the "Massively" scale like WoW, GW2, etc.

War Thunder (which is huge), Armored Warfare, World of Warships, Star Citizen... how many more would you like.  Each one of those has a huge following, and offer you multiple ways to spend cash with them while still in development.  Of course that's only counting a handful that are currently in development, there are countless others that are now successfully released titles.

23 hours ago, OniZero713 said:

After seeing all this hate on the forums I really want to know how many of the people complaining have ACTUALLY stopped playing? I see a lot of criticism and how this is a bad idea and the community is going to fall off etc. etc. but how many of you have ACTUALLY stopped? 

I actually uninstalled the game, and won't reinstall until the game is released. 
There's actually a lot of people that got tired of the gamebreaking bugs. Have you seen how much the playerbase has dropped? How dead servers are?
That's because of this kind of decisions. 

OK, yes I paid for an Early Access game, but they are NOT as you put it, "sticking as closely as possible to their tentative release date".

As for it being their money, sure they can do whatever they like, as for MY money, they are no longer going to get any more of it until they fulfill their early access commitments.

I've seen nothing to indicated that they aren't still on track for the revised tentative release date that they set months ago, we are still getting regular updates.  In fact, in the one a couple of weeks ago they took a stab at one of the biggest irritations people have with the game, dinos dropping through floors... although that appears to need more work.

Of course you can choose not to purchase anything else, no one is saying otherwise.

1 minute ago, ranger1presents said:

War Thunder (which is huge), Armored Warfare, World of Warships, Star Citizen... how many more would you like.  Each one of those has a huge following, and offer you multiple ways to spend cash with them while still in development.  Of course that's only counting a handful that are currently in development, there are countless others that are now successfully released titles.

War Thunder (which is huge), Armored Warfare, World of Warships are Free to Play MMO games, that do NOT follow the same business model as ARK. So they don't count.

Stat Citizen is just an outright scam, which has been documented for many years about how Chris Roberts has lied, cheated and outright conned his kickstarter backers.

War Thunder (which is huge), Armored Warfare, World of Warships are Free to Play MMO games, that do NOT follow the same business model as ARK. So they don't count.

Stat Citizen is just an outright scam, which has been documented for many years about how Chris Roberts has lied, cheated and outright conned his kickstarter backers.

All of those titles offered packages you could purchase to be able to play during their development phase, as well as additional optional content you could purchase along the way towards full release.

I'll admit, I was doubtful about Star Citizen for quite some time, however they just released a huge update that has their fans delighted, and the live play through of the patch coming out in a couple of months showed off functioning game code that covered a HUGE amount of promised features people thought were going to end up being too ambitious to see reality.  You should check it out, it's incredibly impressive.

If you're going to sit there and dismiss huge AAA titles that have done EXACTLY the same thing as WildCard there is no point in arguing with you.  I won't bother you with facts any longer, feel free to be a sheep with the rest of the kids.

Just now, waterKeeper said:

"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." 

- morpheus

The DLC is the red pill

Indeed it is, for people with zero understanding of how game development and marketing actually work.

Ive been playing ark pretty much since it was started pre released  , i have had some screaming moments cause of bugs and lost some really time consuming tames, but the bugs are far from game breaking and they are not frequent enough for people to bich like they do constantly. If you play long enough you learn how to get around and avoid the bugs that there are. Definately use the forums to make devs aware of issues, but complaining and making charactor acusations of wildcard studio is unwarented and a waste of everyones time.

I am going to put in my two cents in on this. I am not happy that to play the new DLC. I am going to have to pay more for the game it self. All be it I got it on sale. Now with that said I know why They are charging for the DLC. If we want more of this game the Dev need to pay the bills. And they are not as big as the the company that put out triple A games. So I do not mind put some money in to the game now to help them keep it going. People put money in to kick starters all the time now. I feel this is much the same. More over I have only been playing ark for little over a month and have already got my money worth of fun out of it. And more. All you need to do is ask your self do you feel you will get $20 bucks worth of fun out of a game you already like. I say yes and to that take my money plz. 

Archived