scorched earth Wildcard, you have one chance to salvage the community.

MrDynamicMan

43 minutes ago, Purrmaster said:

I don't want to de-rail the topic but I'm glad you mentioned the sci-fi aspect.  I've always thought weird, high tech science fiction was going to be at the core of the game.  This is why I hope Tek Tier is still on the menu.

Tek tier is still part of the core game and is in the Dev kit, its awaiting the rest of the functionality to go with it.

This was planned since last year, an expansion. This was not part of the main game and a Desert biome was never promised on the island. I've given the quotes out and there is no quote that exists where the devs say the desert is part of the Island. The only place this has come from is speculation. The game was planned to release in June/July this year with the originally planned content. Which was 50 dinos and not everything that is currently in the game. As the devs have progressed they have taken on more ideas from the community and fleshed out the game. They can not win either way. One side would be mad about them not being listened to, while another is mad that the game isn't finished but they have all the content currently ready in the game.(This isn't Battlefield one which has the other maps, game modes and weapons all hidden till full release.) Which I don't get. you've got the most up to date ready and available content. The longer its in EA the more free stuff your going to get if the Dev's think.. Hang on that would be great in the Core game.

They could have taken a waterfall approach finished the game with the only planned content and would you have had such a satisfying experience? Why are people so desperate to see it finished when its not in Alpha and Beta like other games that limit content access till full launch. There not running off. Developers who run off don't update your game every week or as active in the community as these are or host monthly tournaments. Or spend close to $200,000 for your ark servers every month if you play official.

We'd have people complaining who knew about 'a' expansion happening a few months after launch. Why such a thing was delayed and why the dev's kept teasing. They can't win everyone, but the spread of continued mis-information by people who can not back up with quotes to fuel the hysteria is getting out of hand.

The core game has not been abandoned. If you read through the digest and information, you could easily see that the core game is at 60-70% complete in content(not including the two mods and standalone). The patch for the 2 newer dinos will drop next week and you are getting continued updates every week, even if they are minor patches. Some companies do patches differently, favoring doing larger batches over smaller ones. There are 2 DLC's and a standalone which you get for free on top of the $20 paid just for the core game, and yes they were mods. But Ark bought them and they pay a salary to both of them to ensure that they are not abandoned. I'm not denying that prim + hasn't had a rocky start since becoming a total conversion because something went wrong when it was 'cooked' but Cedric works hard and you can see his work in the new DLC. The problems are going to be fixed its one Man who made that and he hates it probably more than you do when you encounter problems with the mod. So does Frank with the center, he is very open and livestreams his stuff. He doesn't have to but they are both very passionate individuals who are paid by the company to provide you this DLC. (before i get  people asking why some mods are taken under the wing of the company and some aren't. It's at their discretion and if they fit with the overall picture of the game.. Which we don't know.) Ark didnt have to take on any mod officially.

Don't get me wrong they've made mistakes like big companies and indie companies. But have you been fobbed off by this expansion? No.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Purrmaster said:

That's a relief.  Thanks for letting me know.

Out of curiosity how many dinos are left to be implemented?  Ones they have more or less confirmed.

This i find is better to visually see: Top is released dinos and down the bottom are unreleased.

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Dino_Dossiers

Man does anyone think about the 40mio dollar fine Wildcard had to pay this year? A lot of work flowed into this DLC and almost all of the main game revenue is gone and the employees also have to get payed. I think it is more than reasonable that Wildcard published this DLC not for free. More they were kind of forced to do so. And as quoted, ONLY the map is not free. All new items, monsters, optimizations and bug fixes of the DLC are also available in the main game without the DLC...

6 minutes ago, Kaedan said:

This i find is better to visually see: Top is released dinos and down the bottom are unreleased.

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Dino_Dossiers

Thanks!

Counting.... holy Christ, 29 unreleased dinos?  Can they actually implement 29 more?

Wow.  Now I am really concerned about progress on the main game.

38 minutes ago, Irk said:

I'm of the camp that isn't offended by the price tag. I've said before and I'll say again, I really wouldn't mind spending more money on this game as I enjoy it. Even after saying that I refuse to buy this expansion, I still bought it since I saw this as a "hey, we kinda need a few bucks to reach our end goal". Assumption, of course, though I bit regardless.

The one's simply seeing the price tag as the issue don't have a leg to stand on. Like you said, had the expansion been free they'd be fine with it. I believe the majority of the moans-n-groans on here are due to the core game being horribly glitchy while this new expansion is a "finished product". Is this how it's going to be? Keep the core of the game riddled with bugs and release finished expansions just to maintain an "early access" title so they can fall back on that if the poop ever hits the fan?

Expansions are fine in my book. I'll pay $20 for each one; I don't care. Hell, if they made some multi-verse where expansion Arks made up some kind of web-like system of worlds that you can use obelisks to transfer to/from, I think that'll be bad ass.

But please stop our dino's from vanishing in the core game. Do something about bodies falling through floors/maps. Fix dedicated servers. I could list many of the other bugs but I'm sure you get the picture.

And I get it. They teased the desert biome for a couple of months. Cool, thanks WC; you clued us in. But I'm sure many players assumed that the desert biome would be part of the Island in order to get the desert creatures in to the map. It was assumed that the biome would be added to the core game as an additional step to completion.

I know what you're going to say. You're going to harp on how this is an EA title, we shouldn't assume what the dev's are doing/thinking, yadda-yadda. You're right on all points, absolutely. Who knows? Maybe they'll still hit their winter release date now that they can focus on the core game and these complaints would be all for naught.

Or maybe we'll get an additional snow biome expansion for the low-low price of $19.99! Right on time for Christmas; tame Santa Claus and his reindeer's! Use the obelisks to transfer them to the core game! Here's a Santa Hat skin and a Santa Sleigh skin! Here's something big BIG BIGGER!

perfect.

One other thing that irked me is the 'polished and finished' tag SE has .... do the same to base game maybe? and the balance they mention about not been able to take stuff TO the SE yet can bring it ALL back FROM SE to the center / base game .. yeah balance .... flying fire breathing dragons and flamethrowers, because we have similar things already like that dont we ..... 

I have no problem with cash or the price tag BUT i do have a problem with as already said gamebreaking bugs that have NOT been fixed in the base game that annoy and upset me a great deal ... the quezt bug a few weeks ago killed all of mine in less than a day, clipping through walls killed my dung bettles while i was offline .. 2 walls thick been in the same pen for AGES n problem then 2 days in a row boom all dead .. oh and lets not forget the 'early' addition of removing unclipped buildings / crop plots - little annoyed more of losing all my plant X's but made me actually make a greenhouse at last .. meh ... either way the price tag is NOT the biggest bug here about the DLC, its the fact it was really shady dealt with, released as a boom in your face give us money now approach, when stuff is quite clearly NOT 'polished and finished' on the base game .. and dammit i want TEK tier  

The truth, ill give my two cents as a gamer that's been gaming since the 80's.

Ark, its a awesome game, but it is hard to play with all the issues it has, Lag, rubber banding, bugs, to name a few. Now I feel to be a good company that handles the client base (Gamers) properly you need to be transparent and communicate. None of the two have I seen from Wild Card, though they communicate better to the PC crowd than the console crowd, but even then its nearly not enough.

Wild Card has what I see as two options right now.

1. Sell Ark to a major Game company IE. Blizzard, or Sony as examples and get out of the game before they tank.

2.  Wild Card needs to get there Sh*t together and reboot, start fresh with there customer base or its going to go down hill really fast from here on out. They need to become transparent, inform the customer base of everything that is going on and why they are doing what they are doing. Become active on the forums, reply to questions, and be proactive. Customers get pissy when things don't happen when companies miss dates or don't include things they say they are.

The bottom line is WC is going to fail if they keep up the smoke and mirrors game they are playing.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

The announcement for the delay came long after the Desert biome was announced, and even with that no one ever said "then just stop producing the desert biome".

As for the latter sentence, that is patently false. The bylines of the early access program flat out states that what you pay for  isn't for a team to finish it's product, but rather to have the ability to play the game as it is being developed. It even goes as far as  to say that you paying doesn't guarantee a product will be delivered, as not all teams manage to finish their  project.

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

Is this the same as pre-purchasing a game?

No. Early Access is a full purchase of a playable game. By purchasing, you gain immediate access to download and play the game in its current form and as it evolves. You keep access to the game, even if the game later moves from Early Access into fully released.

When will these games release?

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

Yes, I understand that buying an EA game isn't a grunted of the product being finished, but it still doesn't feel like they're living up to our hopes. I understand that doesnt mean poop legally but it's still not nice for your community. 

And also, as I've said before, we were under the impression that the desert biome was a part of the game. I garuntee if however many months ago they'd said "We're delaying the game cus we're working on DLC" there would have been just as harsh a reaction. 

4 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Prior to the release of the expansion pack, was there anyone complaining that Wildcard was working on the desert biome? Forum search yielded no results for me on that front.

You HAVE to be purposely distorting the issue given how many times this has been explained over on the steam forums.  Of which Ive seen you posting.  The reason people are mad isnt because were spoiled brats asking that everything be free.  Were mad because the game isnt even out yet, full of bugs, unoptimized, and yet development time was wasted on this money grabbing expansion.  A game in EARLY ACCESS is trying to charge us for content while its not finished.

55 minutes ago, Novarae said:

Per Jesse's own words: the DLC content, save the map is actually atm free:

Also per the FAQ Jeremy too states similar and shows the codes to load stuff into single player and unofficial servers and the rest will come via the dev kit for modding in a major update in the coming weeks.

Its not free or accessible unless you own your own server and can spawn the items/dinos.  Otherwise you MUST pay the $20 for the DLC to access the map which has all those dinos.

And if this is the spin they are putting on it, you all just paid $20 for a map.  Let that sink in.  Probably start charging for The Center next.

5 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Your post speaks towards the core source of anger as being the price tag though. You said it yourself, you believe everyone thought it would be free, and are using this as justification for why there was no uproar at the fact that the desert was being worked on. Prior to the reveal all everyone did was speculate on how they'd implement it or what creatures  would habitate it. Pretty much no one went "finish the game instead of giving us new biomes". And now that it's released and revealed to be a paid expansion only now do you have people crying out misappropriation of resources or complaining that Wildcard  isn't working on finishing the game or fixing bugs.

Oh my stars and gardens you are completely distorting everything.

Adding a free desert biome would HELP FINISH THE GAME. It'd be adding content which would push ARK further to full release. If the desert biome were part of Survival Evolved it'd be content for the MAIN GAME. The problem here is not that they added a desert biome but that they segregated it from the main game and blocked it off with a paywall. So ARK gets a DLC that is focused on more than the main game which we PAID FOR to see completed. Now we're expected to fork over another 20 bucks to get something that should've been in the main game?

Never mind the fact that releasing another incomplete product when your first product is still very incomplete (it is nowhere near complete- there's over 30 creatures left to be added plus tek tier and everything else in the "coming soon" section) is sketchy as hell. This is a very poor business ethic and trying to bog it down to "BUT YOU GUYS WOULD BE OKAY WITH IT IF IT WAS FREE" is completely missing the point and an attempt to strawman our argument. The problem isn't that it costs money, the problem is that it is something that should've been in the main game- or been made after the game was actually completed.

(inb4 ban and/or comment deletion)

5 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Which doesn't really make matters better as you're basically giving off the air that people wouldn't have been huffy about Wildcard "taking away time and manpower that could have been used on finishing the main game" if only it were free.

If it were free it would be a part of finishing the main game... I don't think your point makes sense.

1 minute ago, Kimsie said:

If it were free it would be a part of finishing the main game... I don't think your point makes sense.

jeah chiabatta likes to derail threads by poking at technicalities, im not sure if he really doesnt understand the problems ppl have with this or if its a clever way to water down the Threads that voice the outrage of the playerbase

5 hours ago, OXStrident said:

One problem I see with it is that I don't think there's much you guys can do. Everybody that's mad has already bought the game, and lots of people are still buying the DLC. It would probably be a lot easier to get them to listen if it was some other kind of game with iap.

Well, there's one thing... that people already seem to do: The reviews have positively tanked. Now down to just 52% positive (last 30 days) and I believe it's still decreasing... Not sure, but the outrage could even bring down the overall score - it has already lost a few points as well.

2 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

Well, there's one thing... that people already seem to do: The reviews have positively tanked. Now down to just 52% positive (last 30 days) and I believe it's still decreasing... Not sure, but the outrage could even bring down the overall score - it has already lost a few points as well.

I changed mine from 5 star to 2 on the marketplace. When the game was released on xbox we were promised bi-weekly updates. Its down to bi-monthly and they even break saves for the last 3 updates in a row. Warned possible buyers to stay away unless extremely desperate for a dino survival.

Just now, SumNubX said:

I changed mine from 5 star to 2 on the marketplace. When the game was released on xbox we were promised bi-weekly updates. Its down to bi-monthly and they even break saves for the last 3 updates in a row. Warned possible buyers to stay away unless extremely desperate for a dino survival.

Im doing the same once I get confirmation my dedicated is being wiped yet again. 

10 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

Funny, the overall review score is Very Positive, for Ark and for the new DLC !!

Yes, the new DLC score is Very Positive despite a lot of players crying.

So much Doom and Gloom.

Ok, I agree that releasing a paid DLC before the game is finished isn't smart from a community rep perspective (it might be from a business perspective though)

Also, I'm sure plenty of people will buy the DLC, I bought it already myself, I played some, its fun, I have no regrets.

It's pretty much water under the bridge now though. It's done. Go play it and maybe you will feel a bit better about it.

I'm sure the core game is being worked on again, I'm sure they intend to finish it, and while I can understand people's frustrations, realize that your job, as the consumer, is to play and enjoy the game.

We are a playing community, not a dev team, and really not stakeholders. We really have no say into how the game is developed besides what the dev team allows us. 

I'm not necessarily saying that you shouldn't complain, Wildcard needs to be able to judge the player base somehow. That said, forecasting the end of the world or assuming to speak for the entire consumer base is pretty nonsensical. 

5 minutes ago, Zaphod4th said:

Yes, the new DLC score is Very Positive despite a lot of players crying.

Of course - people who don't like the DLC won't buy it and are thus not allowed to review it. That's a very silly statement of you ; ) But I agree it does look amazing : ) If it weren't for the mythological creatures (and it being a whole new ARK instead of a biome) I would be very tempted myself!

Oh, and of course the overall score is good. almost 90k reviews are gonna take a while to derail. That's why I'm more fascinated by the recent reviews. The last 30 days' reviews only hold 52% positive (at the time of writing), when the DLC has been out for 1 day... that's saying something! : O

Archived