scorched earth Wildcard, you have one chance to salvage the community.

MrDynamicMan

30 minutes ago, UDGxKnight said:

You make absolutely no sense and these exact comments are the kind that are poisoning this community slowly. How can you think this is better than what we got? How can you complain about getting a functioning batch of new content to play? That is idiotic. Paying for it now vs later makes no difference. You wanna wait like another 4 months or possibly a year to play new content rather than get it when the game is perfectly playable and the only bugs people complain about are just trivial, "Oh no I lost a such and such thing," if you did the work to get it once guess what you can get it again. So yeah there are crashes but guess what, ALOT of fully completed games have the capability to crash and sometimes when servers go to crap they crash a lot. I and probably many other including yourself, you probably wont admit it if you did get it the DLC, have had absolutely ZERO issues with this game or DLC. If I did have an issue it was either just not big enough to even concern myself with or I just didn't care cuz unlike most people in this community I understand what I payed for to play. Which was a game full of bugs cuz it isn't complete if you were wondering.

What community are you referring to?  My criticisms have solely been aimed at the company.  I would rather wait another 4 months for a high quality, polished, expansion than to pay the same price for an unpolished and buggy expansion now.  I would also not have a problem with the option to pay a reduced price for the expansion now and have it released after the game is finished, if additional funding was required to produce it.

Those fully completed games that are buggy, perform poorly, and crash frequently are also poorly rated.  The reason that ARK is not is because it is understood that it is still a work in progress (Early Access).  That is the problem, they are charging for additional unpolished, buggy content.

I do not own the expansion and will not buy it.  The reason that I am posting here at all is that I started to read about the reaction to the Scorched Earth release and believed that at least my objection to it was not being understood.  I posted to clarify the reasons that I objected to the release and the reason for my negative review on Steam.

People are capable of disagreement without malice.  Disagreement and criticism are not attacks or hatred.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
12 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Maybe, maybe not.

One thing for sure is that Facebook, where the majority of people read stuff like this is full of how disatisfied people are, whether you like to hear it or not. Don't under estimate the power of Social Media like Facebook, where people are always asking for peoples opinion on whether they should buy something or not. Wildcard is not immune to the hate going on over there either.

Never said or implied Social Media should be ignored.  While I am a big proponent of free speech, unforutnately, in my opinion, there are people who want the right without the responsibility.

For what it is worth, I have not used FB much in the last years, because I find it mostly a waste of my time.  People will repost anything without actually verifying it.

Sort of like that site you posted.  They brought up the 'Pay 2 Win' straw man.  But really, it was just a recap with zero substance, which I find a lot in social media; may as watch one of the Kardashian shows, as I would get just as much useful information about Ark from that.

48 minutes ago, AaBb said:

What community are you referring to?  My criticisms have solely been aimed at the company.  I would rather wait another 4 months for a high quality, polished, expansion than to pay the same price for an unpolished and buggy expansion now.  I would also not have a problem with the option to pay a reduced price for the expansion now and have it released after the game is finished, if additional funding was required to produce it.

Those fully completed games that are buggy, perform poorly, and crash frequently are also poorly rated.  The reason that ARK is not is because it is understood that it is still a work in progress (Early Access).  That is the problem, they are charging for additional unpolished, buggy content.

I do not own the expansion and will not buy it.  The reason that I am posting here at all is that I started to read about the reaction to the Scorched Earth release and believed that at least my objection to it was not being understood.  I posted to clarify the reasons that I objected to the release and the reason for my negative review on Steam.

People are capable of disagreement without malice.  Disagreement and criticism are not attacks or hatred.

Acceptable, but just don't comprehend it. I will keep making the same argument, it is better to release all your content or the large majority of it(when the game isn't finished) before fixing every single bug because if you stop adding and start fixing then when you go back to adding then all the same problems or new even worse problems are created when you could just deal with it until the actual bug fixing phase of development after the content you want in before release gets put in to lessen the amount of back and forths to go. See normally Devs don't let people just casually play the game during this phase of development so we never see it and we only get the version after the content and majority bug fixes and polish. WildCard literally said they wanted to release this expansion early to test the waters and work out the issues to possibly handle future projects better.

On 9/3/2016 at 2:37 PM, CyanicEmber said:

Well, I mean, we've still got over 50,000 players on, which is normal. And the majority of reviews for Scorched Earth are positive. On top of that, most of the negative reviews are personal opinions and not content evaluations... In other words, not reviews.

Here is a review of Scorched Earth: 
 It is broken and full of bugs that have basically ruined my game.
I bought the DLC on day one and was fully enjoying it. The new survival dynamic, the new dinos and items. Gladly paid $20 for that content.
Then started seeing all the bugs, like getting stuck in rocks, lag and crashes.
Basically it was just a cosmetic DLC with the same problems as the main game, as well as adding new ones to both SE and the Island.
And finally, went to transfer out of Scorched Earth, which I have done numerous times before without an issue,  and lost my character.
So, basically I paid $20 to have my 3000 hour progress (base, dinos, level) wiped.
Have been waiting for support now for 5 days with no reply.

Hows that for a review ?

2 hours ago, Trikky said:

Here is a review of Scorched Earth: 
 It is broken and full of bugs that have basically ruined my game.
I bought the DLC on day one and was fully enjoying it. The new survival dynamic, the new dinos and items. Gladly paid $20 for that content.
Then started seeing all the bugs, like getting stuck in rocks, lag and crashes.
Basically it was just a cosmetic DLC with the same problems as the main game, as well as adding new ones to both SE and the Island.
And finally, went to transfer out of Scorched Earth, which I have done numerous times before without an issue,  and lost my character.
So, basically I paid $20 to have my 3000 hour progress (base, dinos, level) wiped.
Have been waiting for support now for 5 days with no reply.

Hows that for a review ?

Fine by me. It just reinforces my opinion that it's good they released it now. Think of the outrage if they'd done this post launch and had characters lost? Better to iron it out now.

16 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

Fine by me. It just reinforces my opinion that it's good they released it now. Think of the outrage if they'd done this post launch and had characters lost? Better to iron it out now.

It matters not that the game is not released yet because the server they are playing on is released and will not be wiped at release.

46 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

What post launch are you talking about ? This is post launch. I don't imagine they will get more unique players than they have right now.
The words "official launch" are just words.
If this game was in limited release with only a handful of players having access then I could see how that makes sense, as of this point anyone who wants this game can get it and I have seen, on my server, a lot more players quit than join over the last 6 months.
So, I have no idea what you are expecting when the game is "officially finished" or "launched" ?
An influx of new players form where ?
Unless it is optimized to the point of where you do not need a dedicated graphics card to run it, which I highly doubt.

26 minutes ago, Trikky said:

What post launch are you talking about ? This is post launch. I don't imagine they will get more unique players than they have right now.
If this game was in limited release with only a handful of players having access then I could see how that makes sense, as of this point anyone who wants this game can get it and I have seen, on my server, a lot more players quit than join over the last 6 months.
So, I have no idea what you are expecting when the game is "officially finished" or "launched" ?
Unless it is optimized to the point of where you do not need a dedicated graphics card to run it, which I highly doubt.

Read what he was quoting... He is talking about a person getting there account deleted due to character transfer he is glad its bugged now not later on.

2 hours ago, Trikky said:

Offial release means xbox gets sotf and ps4 gets the game

Again, the drawback of not having a wipe on official release.  People are already getting way too attached to their characters.

Trikky, the main difference is that core mechanics are still being added, fine tuned, and bug fixed... and you are still under the strict conditions of an early access game where you are told up front that there WILL be issues (sometimes serious), changes (sometimes sweeping), and bugs (sometimes crippling).

You can insist that your definition of what stage the game is in should be reality, but it's not.

I hadn't played Ark for many months (I stopped playing a month or two before the first new biomes were relased) and only recently had it catch my attention again due to seeing one of the 'DLC Backlash' articles.

Immediately found it 'odd' then worse when I did my own research and found that some of my main bug peeves from when I played were still very much present. Dino AI, god, please stop adding more dinosaurs, fix the pathfinding AI and then apply that to new ones tweaking for different species, current way makes no logical sense! It's just bumper cars with more variety now, the dino's biggest enemies are trees and rocks! and of course optimisation, falling through floors and losing dinos etc and that the previously absolutely fine excuse, adding content then optimisation, fixes etc was still being used. But now they're charging for some of this content, a fair bit of which was touted for the normal base game (when I say touted I mean heavily implied and certainly absolutely no mention of extra money being required before completion), desert, dragons (in the first game trailer ffs!) and weather but to implement these in the paid DLC first? It doesn't make sense aside from a cash grab.

Which after even more research I could see as being legitimately likely due to the lawsuit. But after watching a few YouTube videos its clear that the same bugs exist in Scorched Earth so it is no more complete really but it looks like a lot of fun. I won't be buying it because well the bugs that stopped me playing are still there. I do want to come back to it should it be finished and have most of the day 1 issues finally fully addressed but I worry that if I come back in 3+ months time is there going to be more paid DLC? As evidenced in this thread desert biomes were planned to be included in the core game so theoretically nothing is untouchable? Weather is coming but the server transfer stuff for the items and new creatures seems very unfeasible for most. And for all the arguments the dev's have made about Scorched Earth justifying money they have made no mention of desert biomes ever appearing for free so I can assume we can rule those out.

I don't know if anyone has looked into the lawsuit in detail but it's very obvious there was illegality in the creation of WC studios. It is not a AAA developer with many reputable CEO's, employee's who've headed many previous successful companies like developers such as Activision, Ubisoft, Sony etc they had an exceptional idea (which are few and far between these days in most entertainment industries) and have executed it fairly well so far but they could go under just like a lot of Early Access studios. It's not for me to say how they run their business but maybe a Community Manager could ask (as they have advised it is easy to do) if there will be more paid content prior to completion?

Just to clarify a few points:

*Scorched Earth seems worth £15 - not arguing that point. Just sort your main game first.

*WildCard is of no higher expectation than a lot of first time studios who have in certain cases 'taken money and run' leaving their users completely in the lurch - not saying they will do this but people forget.

*I don't care about the Dev's confirming pretty much anything except no more paid content before game launch? I wanted to come back to the game at its proper release and see all the new content I had read about for the core game, not to find that several parts are in paid DLC.

1:  They revised their position on desert biomes in the core game over a year ago, and that stated that instead of being included on the Island it would instead become something much larger.

2:  Again, over a year ago they announced that there would indeed be paid DLC in the form of expansions.

3:  They stuck with their original release date for the expansion, which would have been after official release except they decided to comply with the player bases desire to see even more content included during EA... which pushed the core game's release date back.

4:  There will be more paid DLC in the form of expansions coming and are quite likely already partially into their lengthy development process.  Their release date is unknown.

5:  It would be fairly silly to have an already complete expansion sitting around for a few months while work on the core game progresses.  In fact, if they had kept this expansion a secret and news of such an act came out after release the "vocal minority" of the player base would most likely be just as furious as they are now.

39 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

4:  There will be more paid DLC in the form of expansions coming and are quite likely already partially into their lengthy development process.  Their release date is unknown.

while this is true, we do know that any expansions to be released will be post-release of the game, as they stated so.

scorched earth was basically a test to see how the community thinks of the idea of expansions to ark and what they could do the same/differently for the next expansion.

On September 12, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Trikky said:

Almost everyone Ive talked to said they will pick it up again with the official release once more content is added and the bugs are ironed out. I know its only anecdotal, but its the majority opinion within my circles, and it stands to reason that there will be a large influx with the update. The influx will come from people who had put down the game and are waiting for it to be finished.

it sucks that you lost you charcter, and I feel your pain, but ultimately its growing pains. Hopefully you get feedback from support. That is the kind of bug that needs a rollback or extensive testing befre patch launch.

14 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Again, the drawback of not having a wipe on official release.  People are already getting way too attached to their characters.

Trikky, the main difference is that core mechanics are still being added, fine tuned, and bug fixed... and you are still under the strict conditions of an early access game where you are told up front that there WILL be issues (sometimes serious), changes (sometimes sweeping), and bugs (sometimes crippling).

You can insist that your definition of what stage the game is in should be reality, but it's not.

^^^

as ive said before. We NEED a complete server wipe accompanied with a massive amount o changes, and balance fixing. Everyones saying how balanced scorched is. The island could easily be balanced like that but then the community would be up in arms about some dinos becomign weaker/stronger.

WC can make better toys for us, but we're too afraid of losing the ones we have now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 9:37 PM, ranger1presents said:

3:  They stuck with their original release date for the expansion, which would have been after official release except they decided to comply with the player bases desire to see even more content included during EA... which pushed the core game's release date back.

The game isn't going to release fully in December now?

44 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

Okay ... I was a bit worried there.

I don't blame you.  In game development there is always the possibility of something unforeseen happening that can delay even the best laid plans.

It's enough to make anyone a little apprehensive.

So far though we haven't heard of any further delays.

Archived