Scorched Earth Technical/Detail FAQ! (Ongoing)

Jeremy Stieglitz

3 hours ago, Stoneman said:

I have some questions:

1. Do I have to set all ports different of this servers?

2. Is it possible to connect 3 Servers with the same cluster (island, center, scorched or only island and center also) ?

3. When there are different save folders. Is it possible to migrate the saves from a current server? (copy the saved to a new folder?)

4. what exactly does  -NoTransferFromFiltering  ?

5. are both servers in the server list? what happens when i go sleep on server1 and later connect to server2?

I really want to see all of this answered.

Additionally If you try to run with the command lines given, you will have ran into the issue that whatever server you started up second will display an error that "bind couldn't find an open port between 27015 and 27015".   This seems a little shady.  Has anyone even gotten this to work at all?  If so, can you post your command lines?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Engy99k said:

I really want to see all of this answered.

Additionally If you try to run with the command lines given, you will have ran into the issue that whatever server you started up second will display an error that "bind couldn't find an open port between 27015 and 27015".   This seems a little shady.  Has anyone even gotten this to work at all?  If so, can you post your command lines?

Question 1 --> Yes you have to define different ports

Question 3 --> Yes you can. You have to copy the datas from the old server /ShooterGame/Saved/SavedArks/ to /ShooterGame/Saved/<SaveFolderName>/

Question 5 --> Yes both in the list.   If you transfer your character from the island to scorched, then you do not have this character on the island anymore.  If you wanna have characters on both servers, then you must create a new one on scorched instead of transfering it.

13 hours ago, Jeremy Stieglitz said:

For Unofficial Servers, if they wish to allow dynamic Cross-ARK Travel, they will need to run two Servers on the same box from the same directory

First, thank you guys for ARK Prime and everything you have given us to play with, and now with this add-on, it's extra icing on the cake. Thanks for all your hard work!

But, I don't fully understand this new cross-travel method. Is it a game engine related must-do or a design related choice? Seems a little unfriendly to both a player who runs their own servers, or the server providers.

Also, if Wildcard releases any future DLCs similar to Scorched Earth, is that going to require another server instance as well? Seems a little tech 'hefty' on the requirement side of things.

The Cross-ARK travel is probably the biggest feature of the DLC and it's almost self-defeating -in regards to how end user friendly ARK Prime has been with mods, server customization etc.

Unless running 2 server instances on 1 box is not very demanding? I'm hesitant to believe that though.

30 minutes ago, Toni said:

Question 1 --> Yes you have to define different ports

Question 3 --> Yes you can. You have to copy the datas from the old server /ShooterGame/Saved/SavedArks/ to /ShooterGame/Saved/<SaveFolderName>/

Question 5 --> Yes both in the list.   If you transfer your character from the island to scorched, then you do not have this character on the island anymore.  If you wanna have characters on both servers, then you must create a new one on scorched instead of transfering it.

Awesome, thanks a few things are now clear for me, thanks.

when i leave server1, am i tribeless on server2? When i come back, am i kicked out of the server1 tribe?

8 minutes ago, optyk said:

Seems a little unfriendly to both a player who runs their own servers, or the server providers.

^^ This 
Our server is running The Center
I purchased server hosting yesterday from the same company (Host Havoc) 
I got my SE server up and going. 
Now we either have to allow ALL transfers into our original servers or none to be able to enjoy the travel between our two servers. 
Host Havoc (and any other hosting company I have spoken too today) say that they do not support dual server instances and currently have no plans to do so. 

We really need a server transfer whitelist so we can allow transfers from servers we trust. 
The only other option is to host on AWS or Azure and IF the person can get it set up you pay more than twice the price along with bandwidth usage. 
I tried AWS for ark with a single instance and the cost to run it at a decent speed was $97 a month. 

Please give us a server whitelist or some other way to cluster servers from different boxes. 

32 minutes ago, AngelusMalus said:

@Jeremy Stieglitz  There actually seems to be NO way to transfer ITEMS back to the island / center.

25 minutes ago, Isho said:

Wish you guys could be more specific. If i upload my survivor to a scorched earth server, does that mean that I will lose my survivor on The Island? Because thats what the message says at the obelisk...

These two messages are kinda relevant. And also the fact that ORP servers keep on being locked out of the DLC content we've paid for and that we can't get an answer about that here in this topic and in the specific one in general discussions, on twitter, on reddit or by ticket.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Isho said:

Wish you guys could be more specific. If i upload my survivor to a scorched earth server, does that mean that I will lose my survivor on The Island? Because thats what the message says at the obelisk...

Yes uploading your survivor will remove your survivor from that island. This is the same for any server transfer.

Just now, Isho said:

in my testing last night YES the character vanishes from The Island 
when you go to SE you download him and all his engrams.... that is all not items or dinos. 
you play around on SE and go back to The Island you can take your dinos and items with you. 
When you return to The Island you can Download your char with new engrams, levels, items, dinos and such. You will also be back in the same tribe and have all your buildings and such. 

It is like you physically leave your house when you go to work but when you come back you have more knowledge and things but you now back home.... 
Hope that helps a little bit. 

2 minutes ago, aftershock113 said:

in my testing last night YES the character vanishes from The Island 
when you go to SE you download him and all his engrams.... that is all not items or dinos. 
you play around on SE and go back to The Island you can take your dinos and items with you. 
When you return to The Island you can Download your char with new engrams, levels, items, dinos and such. You will also be back in the same tribe and have all your buildings and such. 

It is like you physically leave your house when you go to work but when you come back you have more knowledge and things but you now back home.... 
Hope that helps a little bit. 

Thanks alot for the help. Lets say you decide not to upload your survivor from the Island and start over on scrorch. Does that mean that you're still able to transfer dinos to your old character from scrorched earth? Im not willing to sacrifice my old survivor just for this, since im well settled on my official server.

8 minutes ago, Isho said:

Thanks alot for the help. Lets say you decide not to upload your survivor from the Island and start over on scrorch. Does that mean that you're still able to transfer dinos to your old character from scrorched earth? Im not willing to sacrifice my old survivor just for this, since im well settled on my official server.

I have not tried uploading new dinos only and not the character then trying to download them with an old character. But I would bet money that would not work. 

You do not lose anything on your old server when you get back to it from scorch you are still in your tribe and have all your stuff. 
Think of it as going on vacation... everything is waiting for you when you come back.... just get back before dinos starve and house decays

18 minutes ago, AngelusMalus said:

I tested this and your survivor will be "removed" means you can not spawn him, but he will still be a member of the Tribe and keeps admin / owner.

So if as a solo player i leave an official server and transfer my only character to SE, what happens to the tribe, my buildings and dino's on the server i transferred off of?

Just now, TeRyn said:

So if as a solo player i leave an official server and transfer my only character to SE, what happens to the tribe, my buildings and dino's on the server i transferred off of?

They are sitting there waiting for you to return. 
Just like if you create new char instead of respawning . 

4 minutes ago, aftershock113 said:

I have not tried uploading new dinos only and not the character then trying to download them with an old character. But I would bet money that would not work. 

You do not lose anything on your old server when you get back to it from scorch you are still in your tribe and have all your stuff. 
Think of it as going on vacation... everything is waiting for you when you come back.... just get back before dinos starve and house decays

Ohh so you'll have to download it back on the island to get your stuff back and survivor. I think this is still pretty risky since theres bound to be a glitch where it removes your survivor completely. Ill keep it on hold untill actual confirmation.

2 minutes ago, aftershock113 said:

They are sitting there waiting for you to return. 
Just like if you create new char instead of respawning . 

1 minute ago, Isho said:

Ohh so you'll have to download it back on the island to get your stuff back and survivor. I think this is still pretty risky since theres bound to be a glitch where it removes your survivor completely. Ill keep it on hold untill actual confirmation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/50szm3/wc_you_really_need_to_be_more_clear_on_how/?st=islzpirc&sh=b35acea0

4 minutes ago, TeRyn said:

Just read it. I find this very risky since I've put in over 1500 hours in my survivor, base, tames etc. With all the terrible tribe settings and ownership Im definitely sure something will go wrong with tames atleast. 

I'm having a very hard time with performance with this patch. The game ran very smoothly for me up to yesterday before the current changes. Doesn't matter if I play solo or unofficial server version, I keep getting very strong stutters and freezes, especially on movement or camera movement. It feels like I have to move a step, wait for freeze to fix, move a step, wait again, etc just to get around. It's almost unplayable, and I don't think I'd survive any combat with the constant freezing.

I saw the hotfix to improve performances, and it doesn't seem to be an exact frame rate drop, just really jerky performance. What should I try to do to make the game playable again?

Are there plans to be able to allow PvP characters to go onto PvE servers, but not vice versa?  I understand not allowing people playing on PvE to go to PvP, but I was really hoping to take my high level character off the PvP server he's on so that I don't have to spend weeks leveling again.  I would totally be willing to never be able to take him back to PvP again if this would be allowed.

I have a ton of questions that havent officially been answered.

1- I tried the:
?AltSaveDirectoryName=Save1
?AltSaveDirectoryName=Save2

I tried creating the folders and it did not create them. I tried letting it create the folders, it did not. It seemed to be saving .ark data in the clusters folder but everything else in the "savedarks" server. Which is going to cause corruption correct??

?PreventDownloadSurvivors=False
?PreventDownloadItems=False
?PreventDownloadDinos=False
?PreventUploadSurvivors=False
?PreventUploadItems=False
?PreventUploadDinos=False

If you allow them all, anyone can upload and download from other servers. Which is not what we all want. We only want them to transfer from our server to the scorched earth server and vica versa.

We would ALL appreciate more elaborate guides and walk through's.

Archived