Remove building on quetz platform

TheSpirit

Do you even understand what "slippery slope" even means?

I'll explain it to you.  If you are on a "slippery slope" it means that you are about to do something that could have far-reaching and very unintended consequences down the road - including setting a precedent from which you can't return.  I do not see how any of MY comments are a slippery slope since all I have said is that it is a mistake to remove this from the game because of the UNINTENDED consequences to the PvE community.  It can't be a slippery slope, because to leave it alone means nothing changes with regards to this...so tell me genius - where exactly is this "slope" you keep referring to?

On the other hand, YOUR suggestion to remove it from the game IS a slippery slope because:

1 - It would unintentionally screw the PvE player base

2 - It would set a precedent on how they handle further exploits in the game (removal vs. actually fixing the issue)

3 - It would further encourage the "If you don't like it, and can't win because of it, bitch about it.  If you scream long enough, they will get out the nerf bat" mindset

I mean - what if the next guy thinks your precious plants are OP...because you removed the Quetz platforms so "boo hoo, I can't win now, so nerf the plants"...and they either nerf them severely, or remove them entirely - because after all, that was HIS "Band-Aid" fix - remove them until you can balance them with the rest of the game.  That, my friend, is a slippery slope - and one that YOU started, and one that YOU endorsed, and the very one that YOU have advocated for repeatedly.

I will agree - and always have - that being able to DO this (build the box) with the Q's is an exploit, and should be fixed - I have only tried to be one of the many voices of reason to you to explain why the REMOVAL of this mechanic is a bad idea.  Unfortunately, because I disagree with you about removal as passionately as you feel they SHOULD be removed, everything I say here you feel is a personal attack on your character.  Even when I clearly stated I wasn't TRYING to start a war over this, your answer was "I don't care...you hurt my feelers and I won't stand for it".  Well - at that point, game on - but you called this down, not me.

I find that your copy/paste reply was a very well thought out, well presented argument on your thoughts.  I am just sorry that you could not see past your anger at everyone for disagreeing with you and make those arguments yourself.  You had to steal them from a far more level headed individual who is obviously far more articulate than you are.  Again, I've never said there weren't problems with how people are applying the mechanic...just that the complete removal wasn't the answer.

Finally - don't get it confused.  I am not scared about losing anything - especially to the point it is "scaring the poop out of me".  Far from it.  I don't now, nor have I ever used these exploits, but again, I play in a PvE environment so there is really no need other than convenience for it to even be considered on my server.  Do some use them?  I'm sure.  Does it matter?  Not to me, on my server.  If you want to make a single run to get more flint than any 3 people could possibly use in a week's worth of trying because you have other things you want to move on to - or you want to spend 500 runs to gather the same amount because you find harvesting relaxing - I really don't care.  In a PvE world, you aren't gaining any significant advantage over me or anyone else - so knock yourself out.

You, however, are the one that comes off as scared about this mechanic.  "OMG, I can get pwned by this mechanic if I'm offline and someone decides they want my meager chest of cloth armor.  I must crusade to get this removed."  Whatever dude.  you are going to spin this however you want - just as you have every other post of dissent placed here, and I'm sure I will hear from you again in the  next day or so...because you just can't leave it alone.  Knock yourself out.

At this point the only thing you are missing is a Fez and an Organ Grinder.  Dance for me little monkey...dance.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok... Let's go point by point about this nonsense you call a post...

14 hours ago, Hoseman143 said:

A slippery slope argument (SSA), in logic, critical thinking, political rhetoric, and caselaw, is a consequentialist logical device in which a party asserts that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant (usually negative) effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.[1] The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process that leads to the significant effect. This type of argument is sometimes used as a form of fear mongering, in which the probable consequences of a given action are exaggerated in an attempt to scare the audience

yes I do. Unless you can see the future this argument holds no ground whatsoever. 

2 - It would set a precedent on how they handle further exploits in the game (removal vs. actually fixing the issue)

3 - It would further encourage the "If you don't like it, and can't win because of it, bitch about it.  If you scream long enough, they will get out the nerf bat" mindset

I don't play PvE. I could see that building on platforms could be very important, but I don't know. So as I said, if they can't make it PvP only they should not make the fix it at all. 

Like, how many times I can say "temporary" and "bandage". I can't even...

Yeah... Cause that has worked so many times. See the definition of slippery slope argument again.

I mean - what if the next guy thinks your precious plants are OP...because you removed the Quetz platforms so "boo hoo, I can't win now, so nerf the plants"...and they either nerf them severely, or remove them entirely - because after all, that was HIS "Band-Aid" fix - remove them until you can balance them with the rest of the game.  That, my friend, is a slippery slope - and one that YOU started, and one that YOU endorsed, and the very one that YOU have advocated for repeatedly.

Aaand with slippery slope arguments again. "Next guy"? There already was "next guy" and they nerfed plants to the point so the quetz platform makes them nothing. And that is not slippery slope, that is called consequences. And you know what other consequences there would be? Players actually playing on officials. i know it's hard to understand but PvP wthout the Ps is not really fun.

I will agree - and always have - that being able to DO this (build the box) with the Q's is an exploit, and should be fixed - I have only tried to be one of the many voices of reason to you to explain why the REMOVAL of this mechanic is a bad idea.  Unfortunately, because I disagree with you about removal as passionately as you feel they SHOULD be removed, everything I say here you feel is a personal attack on your character.  Even when I clearly stated I wasn't TRYING to start a war over this, your answer was "I don't care...you hurt my feelers and I won't stand for it".  Well - at that point, game on - but you called this down, not me.

Glad we agree on something.
Personal attack? I'm sorry, but you did go to ad hominem on like your third post. And, this could be just me being bad at communicating, I told you (at least I meant) that you won't faze me. I don't care if you insult me, all I care is arguments. That may be my bad I could have phrased it better, but if you think that you hurt my feelings, shouldn't I go all " HALF-WIT", " change your helmet and empty your drool cup" (which is kinda disrespectful of people with mental issues), "DIAF" on your ass, as you did? Does that don't bother your?

I find that your copy/paste reply was a very well thought out, well presented argument on your thoughts.  I am just sorry that you could not see past your anger at everyone for disagreeing with you and make those arguments yourself.  You had to steal them from a far more level headed individual who is obviously far more articulate than you are.  Again, I've never said there weren't problems with how people are applying the mechanic...just that the complete removal wasn't the answer.

Do I really look angry? I really just try to stand my ground so that I can see what is the best arguments that the other side can throw at me. Yours was really good and an aspect that I hadn't thought when I made the thread, PvE would get screwed. That is a valid argument. 
Well yeah I'm not good with my words, especially talking in foreign language. That means what? I'm stupid? My opinions don't count? I really don't get why are you going into personal traits.

Finally - don't get it confused.  I am not scared about losing anything - especially to the point it is "scaring the poop out of me".  Far from it.  I don't now, nor have I ever used these exploits, but again, I play in a PvE environment so there is really no need other than convenience for it to even be considered on my server.  Do some use them?  I'm sure.  Does it matter?  Not to me, on my server.  If you want to make a single run to get more flint than any 3 people could possibly use in a week's worth of trying because you have other things you want to move on to - or you want to spend 500 runs to gather the same amount because you find harvesting relaxing - I really don't care.  In a PvE world, you aren't gaining any significant advantage over me or anyone else - so knock yourself out.

You, however, are the one that comes off as scared about this mechanic.  "OMG, I can get pwned by this mechanic if I'm offline and someone decides they want my meager chest of cloth armor.  I must crusade to get this removed."  Whatever dude.  you are going to spin this however you want - just as you have every other post of dissent placed here, and I'm sure I will hear from you again in the  next day or so...because you just can't leave it alone.  Knock yourself out.

I never got it, why PvE would ever rush building anything. I mean I get that gathering would be a grind, but the buildings would be that much impressive.

I can't leave it alone because you lie. I'm sorry to say that, but you constructed me in you head as some angry teenage, "want-to-win-easy" crybaby and you can't let go of that image. I'm just a guy with a night job and time to waste and can't play ARK on my laptop. And I really love this DLC I want it succeed, even though all the players here are treated like... well, let's say not very well. And I don't see that happening if officials are empty. A lot of people don't like private servers and most don't like empty ones either. 
Do I want to play in constant fear that someone will just go through my defenses as if it's nothing? No. But it's kinda the game. Do I like to have allies and people to play, trade, help and then raid with. Yeah, cause it's supposed to be the game. I don't want to make it easy for anybody to just come and in a week wipe the server clean of players, it should take more time IMO.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:11 AM, Hoseman143 said:

I'll explain it to you.  If you are on a "slippery slope" it means that you are about to do something that could have far-reaching and very unintended consequences down the road - including setting a precedent from which you can't return.  I do not see how any of MY comments are a slippery slope since all I have said is that it is a mistake to remove this from the game because of the UNINTENDED consequences to the PvE community.  It can't be a slippery slope, because to leave it alone means nothing changes with regards to this...so tell me genius - where exactly is this "slope" you keep referring to?

On the other hand, YOUR suggestion to remove it from the game IS a slippery slope because:

At this point the only thing you are missing is a Fez and an Organ Grinder.  Dance for me little monkey...dance.

Well said.

The most recent patch impacted the Quetz box strategy.

On 1/2/2016 at 7:06 AM, Jen said:

Current Version: v247.999
* Prevented spike walls on Dino Platforms (retroactive, unless ?OverrideStructurePlatformPrevention=true)
* Prevented Quetz from moving when head is blocked by platform structures
* Prevented floating platform structures (non-retroactive)
* AutoTurrets shouldn't ever shoot where it can't hit anymore
* Prevented building near supply drop points on PvE (unless ?PvEAllowStructuresAtSupplyDrops=true)
* Overworld supply drops will now spawn near player structures in online PvP

I am of the mind that all saddles should take damage and be destroyed when hit.

Isn't that what the durability portion is supposed to be for?

Why aren't the saddles taking damage from all of those hits?

If a foundation is attached to the saddle shouldn't the damage being delt be a percentage according to the number of parts on the animal?

So if a saddle has 4 parts attached to it and a part is destroyed than the saddle should take 1/5 its health in damage. Unless the bird takes direct damage in which case it takes 100% of the armor percentage in damage because it has an armor values and when it is destroyed the bird is saddleless and only able to attack by command not with a rider. If a saddle has 25% armor 1/4 of the attack power damages the saddle until the durability expires and the saddle is destroyed.

See simple to explain.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:21 PM, BushKillFalls said:

I am of the mind that all saddles should take damage and be destroyed when hit.

Isn't that what the durability portion is supposed to be for?

Why aren't the saddles taking damage from all of those hits?

If a foundation is attached to the saddle shouldn't the damage being delt be a percentage according to the number of parts on the animal?

So if a saddle has 4 parts attached to it and a part is destroyed than the saddle should take 1/5 its health in damage. Unless the bird takes direct damage in which case it takes 100% of the armor percentage in damage because it has an armor values and when it is destroyed the bird is saddleless and only able to attack by command not with a rider. If a saddle has 25% armor 1/4 of the attack power damages the saddle until the durability expires and the saddle is destroyed.

See simple to explain.

Actually, IMHO, this is an outstanding idea.  You could even take it one step further that each Tier gives you X hp, and each Tier of weapons hits for X% of each total.  This mechanic could be applied across every facet of the game - not just saddles - but then everything would take SOME damage, no matter what you hit it with.  Could you beat a brick wall down with your fists?  SURE!  It might take you 3-4 literal weeks to do it, but yeah, it would be possible.

Great idea...AND addresses the OP WITHOUT resorting to removing it from the game completely.

Archived