Is it hard to tame a Giga?

warcryr

I've never tamed a Giga before. I feel like I'd probably just get killed over and over, and that I should probably get a tribe together to help me and then we could share the tame or something, but I don't know.

Is it pretty hard to tame a Giga?  How do you do it?  And once you have one, how do you keep it from eating all your other dinos?

4 minutes ago, warcryr said:

I've never tamed a Giga before. I feel like I'd probably just get killed over and over, and that I should probably get a tribe together to help me and then we could share the tame or something, but I don't know.

Q: Is it pretty hard to tame a Giga? A: It can be, it all depends on a number of factors, how you approach it is the most important.

Q: How do you do it? A: It should be done with a tough flyer like a Quetz and finding a way to pen it in using Dino Gates (metal ones) is also a very good way to do it. There are dozens of ways to tame Gigas, but staying safe, especially solo, is a real challenge. Best to use a high level Crossbow if you're by yourself. If you have tribemates, use Longnecks & Tranq Darts. 

Q: And once you have one, how do you keep it from eating all your other dinos?  A: You feed it, just like every other Dino & you don't let it take massive amounts of fall damage all at once, or let it take massive damage from RPG's or other Gigas biting it.

Gigas are not the devils most people think they are. Yeah when you're on the receiving end, it's no fun, but they're great Dinos when respected & used outside of Raids. Just respect them & take good care of them.

• Volunteer Moderator

It's pretty hard doing it by yourself. Doable, but much much harder.

The new changes to dino flee mechanics make it worse.

While the cliff thing works don't get too comfortable. I had one climb (clitch?) right up a cliff more than twice as tall as it and eat me. A vertical, shear face cliff. Good times.

6 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It's pretty hard doing it by yourself. Doable, but much much harder.

The new changes to dino flee mechanics make it worse.

While the cliff thing works don't get too comfortable. I had one climb (clitch?) right up a cliff more than twice as tall as it and eat me. A vertical, shear face cliff. Good times.

Yup !! They're buggy. When the center released we built in Jungle spires (by volcano island not blue side) and had metal gates up in the first few days. We used those gates to tame gigas (since there was so many we just tamed a butt load in the first 5 days ) 

Multiple times it Glitched into the gate and bit us while still remaining outside the gate , the clip glitch is real dangerous with gigas 

As a team effort, it usually isn't too bad.  We did encounter one recently with more than double the average torpor of the rest of our gigas, so he was a bit harder to put down.  Use a good quality longneck with darts or a good quality crossbow.  It's pretty helpful to have more than one person shooting at it.  If you don't have tribe mates to help you, I'd suggest offering a trade to someone else to help you put it down, and if they happen to get last shot, have them come unclaim whenever it's done.  Obviously choose someone you trust.  Don't trust to the dododex with tranq numbers- we always take at least double the arrows/darts, just in case.  I would have someone carrying someone else on a good stamina argent to shoot (much easier to see in an argent claw than a quetz claw), then you can have someone else shoot from the back of a quetz.

To keep it from becoming a problem for the rest of our dinos, we initially built its own metal box in our base.  After we got more gigas than would fit in that box, we converted it into a birdcage and expanded the exterior of our base to house the gigas (added more gates, leaving the old gates in place as a separation).  It was a good move in the long run for us anyways- for a while on our server, gigas would never spawn, but we had a few weeks where we were taming one every week.  Building an enclosed metal pen big enough to fit 12 sounds like a nightmare.  Obviously it will take some time to build the expansion and fortify it, but you don't want an enraged giga going nuts in your main base.  It gets ugly very quickly.

You can build some sort of enclosure near where you find the giga with metal dinosaur gate frames, and place a big bear trap in the middle. Lure the giga in there, wait for it to get into the bear trap so it can't move  and then seal off the enclosure with more gateframes.

A giga loses torpor really fast, so we usually use high quality crossbows over longnecks as they reload faster, thus keeping the torpor up more.

If you have some friends to help you, it's not hard at all. Just peg that thing with arrows (or darts, but I don't use those on gigas), and once its down, be ready to pump it full of narcotic. Use kibble if you can, otherwise prime meat is the way to go.

If you're by yourself, it can be a challenge. Trapping it or luring it to a cliff is the best way unless you have a quetzal. Don't sweat headshots because they don't do any more damage than body shots. Once you have downed it, you basically will not want to move away from it except to very briefly kill anything that may attack you. Prepare food beforehand--if you can't get kibble, then at least cook a large amount of prime meat (or use raw prime fish if near a river). If you don't have increased tame rates, you'll probably not be able to do the tame without kibble, though, because the tame length and narcotic requirements are pretty out-of-hand.

To keep it from going berserk, just put it in a separate pen or box like other have suggested. If you're not on a PvP server, though, you really don't need to worry about it; the only things that will make it rage are other Gigas, Titans, and bosses (I don't think even an Alpha Rex will make it rage). Just hop off it if you think you're going to fall off a cliff or something because the Giga takes a lot of fall damage and rages very quickly this way, and it's better to die and recover your stuff than risk losing the Giga.

The only hard part about taming a giga is the new AI mechanic where it starts to run and the kibble it takes is fairly difficult to get if you don't have many quetzals . Other than that it's like any other tame....trap it. I trap everything now. Set up metal gate ways and kite it there, then box it in. Pretty easy. Proceed to tranq the crap out of it

I was able to (single player) tame one last night. In the river that runs between far's peak and frozen tooth I built a long metal dam, with 2 gates on it. One edge of the dam was up against a cliff, the other was open. 

I lured the giga (lvl 12) into the open end by grabbing a parasaur with my quetzal (any flyer with any prey will do) and flew above but close to it to lead it into the dam. In between the two gates (behemoth, all metal) I placed several bear traps, which allowed me plenty of time to dismount and shut the gate, trapping it. 

I was planning on making a tower to the side where I could blast it, but the cliff surrounding the dam was close enough for me to shoot it without worry. For the level 12, it took about 150 tranq arrows (I missed a couple, most likely) but I had several hundred, and backup primitive crossbows in case. 

All told, it was much easier than I expected. The torbor drop is absurd, but just waiting until it's almost awake then shoveling a few hundred into it will give you around 10 minutes of torpor regen (it doesn't drop as long as it's adding more, and it adds slowly)

My method is very expensive, the hardest part was just getting the metal. But I like the look of it, and it feels better (to me) than exploiting the wacky hitbox with the 4 small gate/trap method, which works the same, but costs a lot less. 

All in all, it's not difficult UNLESS you try and do it without cages. If you do, godspeed. You're in for the ride of your life!

It's pretty easy to tame a giga if you are prepared, even solo.  With a quetzal w/ platform saddle, food, narcotics, 2 crossbows, 300 tranq arrows, a metal enclosure, and bait you can easily tame any level giga that you want.  Since gigas are nigh-invincible from ambient wildlife it's pretty easy to drag them to wherever your enclosure is, even all the way across the map if you're patient.  Just dismount and shoot it from the platform and it will follow you for a bit before losing interest again.  Rinse, repeat.  A decent quetzal can take a bunch of hits from the giga too if you accidentally fly too low.  I've always used a tamed dino that i park in my enclosure to tempt the giga inside and then close the door behind it but bear traps and wild dinos would work too.  Then just shoot it with tranq arrows until it drops.  No reason to use darts - it has enough health that you might as well use cheap arrows to knock it out.

Put 3 metal dino gates down making an almost close in square with one side open put a large bear trap in the middle lure giga  into said trap put the 4th dino gate up when hes stuck by the bear trap making a closed in square around the giga then fire away the tranqs have kibble and narcotics in inventory GG no Re

6 hours ago, OGCookies said:

Put 3 metal dino gates down making an almost close in square with one side open put a large bear trap in the middle lure giga  into said trap put the 4th dino gate up when hes stuck by the bear trap making a closed in square around the giga then fire away the tranqs have kibble and narcotics in inventory GG no Re

This, or if you have the time/resources do what I posted in the screenshot. The pit can also be used by other people if you want to give out the pin.

20160825101051_1.jpg

Archived