How do I launch the Ark Client in Primitive+ Mode on the first try?

Evolution13

What I think he means, if the server has what I think is called battleye, then it runs for a long time loading stuff, then the game completely restarts. You then need to select the server again and launch the game. Even the 2nd time it takes minutes to load, then finally goes through a final quick load and the game starts. 

This isn't unique to Primitive Plus, but the load time on Primitive Plus is already so long, this really slows the whole process down. I have a SSD and fast computer and connection, and it really tries my patience every time I play.

When you go to the main menu of the game, you select primitive+ in the lower right.  Once you have done tht the first time and join a game, play, then exit out properly (not crashing to desktop sort of thing) then the NEXT time you open the game up, it will already be defaulted to primitive+ and you dont need to select and restart the game again.  It will stay this way UNTIL you select NORMAL ark on the main menu and try to play on a non-primitive+ server.

If you like to switch back and forth between primitive+ and normal ark servers, well, you are screwed

As for looking for a command line switch, you MIGHT be able to use the same command line switches that dedicated servers use to run the game, as I think the normal ark game accepts the same ones.  So look for the server command line options for it and add it to your shortcut pointing at the ark exe.

13 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

When you go to the main menu of the game, you select primitive+ in the lower right.  Once you have done tht the first time and join a game, play, then exit out properly (not crashing to desktop sort of thing) then the NEXT time you open the game up, it will already be defaulted to primitive+ and you dont need to select and restart the game again.  It will stay this way UNTIL you select NORMAL ark on the main menu and try to play on a non-primitive+ server.

If you like to switch back and forth between primitive+ and normal ark servers, well, you are screwed

As for looking for a command line switch, you MIGHT be able to use the same command line switches that dedicated servers use to run the game, as I think the normal ark game accepts the same ones.  So look for the server command line options for it and add it to your shortcut pointing at the ark exe.

Either you are not personally seeing this problem or you don't play the PC version.

I had thought everyone was having the same problem as the OP and I are having. We do exit normally, we do not switch between primitive+ and normal, and we do see a huge load time each time we start the game (after turning our computer off or exiting the program. 

I have looked for command line switches, did google searches, spent a few hours trying to find a solution, have found none.

38 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Either you are not personally seeing this problem or you don't play the PC version.

I had thought everyone was having the same problem as the OP and I are having. We do exit normally, we do not switch between primitive+ and normal, and we do see a huge load time each time we start the game (after turning our computer off or exiting the program. 

I have looked for command line switches, did google searches, spent a few hours trying to find a solution, have found none.

I play the PC version.   When I first downloaded the DLC, I had to go into the game, and manually switch it to the Primitive Plus, which it sounds like you know what to do so I won't go on about how to, game restarted, and I was running Primitive Plus.  I have my own server I run, and once I connected to it, I have yet to have to switch back to Primitive Plus.  It simply starts up as Primitive Plus when I start Ark on my PC, even after shutting it down, unless I manually switch it back to normal.

So, I'm not sure why you would have to be changing it constantly.   As for load time when I start Ark, I don't have any long load times.  It's just the normal time I get when running the game.  I of course do get the load times getting into the server, but since I know it's a bug, I don't let it bother me. 

10 hours ago, Grimm said:

I play the PC version.   When I first downloaded the DLC, I had to go into the game, and manually switch it to the Primitive Plus, which it sounds like you know what to do so I won't go on about how to, game restarted, and I was running Primitive Plus.  I have my own server I run, and once I connected to it, I have yet to have to switch back to Primitive Plus.  It simply starts up as Primitive Plus when I start Ark on my PC, even after shutting it down, unless I manually switch it back to normal.

So, I'm not sure why you would have to be changing it constantly.   As for load time when I start Ark, I don't have any long load times.  It's just the normal time I get when running the game.  I of course do get the load times getting into the server, but since I know it's a bug, I don't let it bother me. 

I don't have to change it constantly. I leave Primitive Plus selected. I still get really long load times like it is the first time you play Primitive Plus. Maybe we are both talking about the "Normal" long load time, which I think is unacceptable, but you just accept as another bug in ARK?

• Volunteer Moderator

I think wires have been crossed several times in this thread. The OPs post makes it sound like the game doesn't open in Prim+ when he runs ARK, because he says "first time". However, I suspect his phrasing is just poorly worded and is causing some confusion.

Primitive+ is known for it's long loading times. There is no fix to it, from our end at least. Ced is well aware of the loading issue. This is one of the reasons it was delayed on Xbox One due to the very long loading times. The other day I started up ARK, loaded my single player, then went down stairs washed up all my lunch stuff in the kitchen, then wiped it all up and put it away. Spoke to my Brother for several minutes on the phone, then came back up stairs to find it still loading, and that was over 5 minutes.

But the fact the OP hasn't come back to clear up this confusion doesn't really help identify exactly what he is referring to. But if it is about the load time then there is nothing we as players can do to speed it up.

18 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I don't have to change it constantly. I leave Primitive Plus selected. I still get really long load times like it is the first time you play Primitive Plus. Maybe we are both talking about the "Normal" long load time, which I think is unacceptable, but you just accept as another bug in ARK?

Yeah, I just accept the load time for what it is, as @GamerPerfection stated above, us as players can't really do anything about it, and since @complexminded already knows about it, to me it's a bug that will eventually be fixed.   I guess I'm the patient type.

The long load times are unoptimized code. Which is what you get during the big "bug fix" push. Ark, itself, was somewhat like this early on and the reality is that until everything existent works well enough, it is silly to optimize code you'll just have to optimize again.

For the time being P+ has long load times. That's the reality of playing it now. I know for certain these load times will decrease as CM does more work, but getting things to work is what you have to do before you can optimize code.

So the long load time is here to stay for the time being. If people have patience it'll get better. If you don't have patience, then P+ isn't really for you right now for so many reasons aside from load times.

On 20/08/2016 at 9:47 PM, GamerPerfection said:

Not quite sure what you are getting at? What do you mean the first try?

When you select Prim+ from the TC list then it will open as Prim+ every time you start ARK unless you change it back again.

Pointless feature is pointless when it patches the core game files every single time. That button for P+ might as well not even exist. First load up takes 10-15 minutes on a decent system.

The long load times are due to the fact that Primitive Plus is a Total Conversion, and are an issue for the main game itself. They have had a history of having problems.

For example, a major bug was fixed back at v231.9 (Fixed issue with slow-loading/stalling Total Conversions).

We just need to go to the main bug forums and mention that the Total Conversion load times are still intolerable.

Archived