Raw UDP Sockets - Server Stability Note for Server Admins

Drathek

We are still currently investigating performance and stability issues that are related to use of raw UDP socket server connection mode. We recommend server hosts, and admins disable this option by removing "bRawSockets" from the launch parameters until issues are resolved. This will result in your server using the Steam peer-to-peer API instead.

Original: http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/10/517142892069785665/

• lilpanda pinned and featured this topic
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31.12.2015 at 6:47 PM, Drathek said:

We are still currently investigating performance and stability issues that are related to use of raw UDP socket server connection mode. We recommend server hosts, and admins disable this option by removing "bRawSockets" from the launch parameters until issues are resolved. This will result in your server using the Steam peer-to-peer API instead.

Original: http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/10/517142892069785665/

Can you please give some details of this stability issues? What exactly is working better with steam P2P?

They reason why im asking this. We tested that when you created the original thread in steam. In our case, UDP runned much smoother than Steam P2P. Therefore i first want to know what stability issues you found? We doesn't have server crashes, we doesn't have any losts of items, we doesn't have lags. So what you mean with stability issues? Which bugs you found?

Thanks for some additional informations.

12 hours ago, Toni said:

Can you please give some details of this stability issues? What exactly is working better with steam P2P?

They reason why im asking this. We tested that when you created the original thread in steam. In our case, UDP runned much smoother than Steam P2P. Therefore i first want to know what stability issues you found? We doesn't have server crashes, we doesn't have any losts of items, we doesn't have lags. So what you mean with stability issues? Which bugs you found?

Thanks for some additional informations.

Yes, you will definitely see performance improvements by using this. However, the chance of various fatal errors increases the longer the server stays up. If you want to have scheduled downtime daily, you probably could pull it off without problems until you have to increase the delay in downtimes if server activity picks up.

9 hours ago, Drathek said:

Yes, you will definitely see performance improvements by using this. However, the chance of various fatal errors increases the longer the server stays up. If you want to have scheduled downtime daily, you probably could pull it off without problems until you have to increase the delay in downtimes if server activity picks up.

Thanks for the additional informations.

My experience with that: I've activated bRawSocket since you released it. I never had any fatal errors with it (Except the "max UObjects" which is there since about 4 weeks and not related to that).

I only restart my server when you update the game. So the longest runtime was about 1.5 - 2 weeks (before christmas). So i will further use bRawSockets :D  The performance differences between P2P and UDP is too big to not use it :D

On 1/5/2016 at 7:00 PM, Drathek said:

I have not tried using raw UDP sockets yet, but I am interested if it means increased performance. So if I have my server set to reboot once per day (as I do), I should be able to use raw UDP?  I would be willing to run two reboots per day if it means increased performance.

5 hours ago, Bones said:

I have not tried using raw UDP sockets yet, but I am interested if it means increased performance. So if I have my server set to reboot once per day (as I do), I should be able to use raw UDP?  I would be willing to run two reboots per day if it means increased performance.

As the user above mentioned, they never ran into problems, but your experience may vary. Experiment with the scheduled downtime suggestion I gave, and see if it works for you. :)

Be sure to take note that the ports you have to forward may be altered by changing to raw sockets. If you are paying for a host, you may need to work with them to get it all going.

I switched to RawSockets last night, so far it seems to be running smoothly. I've noticed there seems to be less rubberbanding and lag on attack, although there was not a 'lot' of this going on before the change. Will continue to monitor the server on a 1 restart per day setup.

Thank you for the reply Drathek, it's really nice to see the dev staff so involved with the community on this project

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else had issues with players connecting while using bRawSockets?  When we tested it out we continued getting reports of players unable to connect to our server.  I would estimate only 10-20% of our player base couldn't join. We would also have cases where 5-10 people would all get disconnected at once.  Other than that, we didn't have any issues.  We perform daily restarts for performance with or without using bRawSockets

• 1 month later...
On 30.12.2015 at 6:47 PM, Drathek said:

Some updates on this? 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I know this has been awhile but I just wanted to confirm what I have working and not:

Working

1. The Island
  2. The Center
  3. Scorched Earth

Not Working

1. Ragnarok
  2. Crystal Isles
  3. Thieves Island
  4. Most Mod Maps

Can you please look into this and see why some work and other don't? The Raw Sockets is much better for stability it's a HUGE difference.

Also, if you are using Raw Sockets, do you need to use 2 peer ports? IE: 7777,7778 just for one server? I thought I was onto something here but never really could get a 100% result.

I just figured that Ragnarok isn't working with it, so it would be worth looking into. My brother can't even stay connected on NON-Raw Socket as the ASYNC kicks him off with the famous "floating fish" :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.6.2017 at 10:15 PM, ONEadmin said:

What do you mean it is not working for some maps?  I would expect this is purely about network data and has nothing to do with a map.  I seriously doubt there is an option available to map makers to tweak the network code of the server.

i also would say it should not be map related.

i just can confirm that udp with ragnorak is working for me (hosted on gportal but only a very small 10 slots). i do daily restarts. and with raw udp the pings are better (on a laptop with wlan , I had sometimes 200ms with steam p2p, now around 20-50ms, please note i normaly would not expecting this difference, so maybe steam p2p has an issue with laptop/wlan.. however on a pc with lan connection i got from 20ms down to 19-15s with udp). well just my 5cents.

im anyway very curious what the current / official state of raw udp is. any news?

Archived