Heat experts needed (staying warm in Snow Biome)

Charlie12345

Recently started living in the Snow Biome.  Really enjoying it.  One thing I have noticed is I am going through my rare mushrooms and rare flowers at quite a rate.  I am fortitude 31 and have full fur armour (primitive).  

Wondered how people stay warm to reduce the food consumption?   I know you can tame the penguins but rarely am based in one spot so not sure that will work.  I also know you can cook curry, but recon the resources needed are probably less than the additional food I need to consume due to the icicle temperature.

Any other clever ways to keep warm while out and about the snow biome farming, etc?

I most certainly understand the pain, as I encountered similar nuisances when starting my base. As of now, I was able to find higher tier Fur armor, I still keep several Kairuku near my base and in some rooms, not to mention numerous air conditioners. However, whenever I'm traveling around the tundra in my Quetzal, I make sure to bring a Kairuku behind me on the platform, and since the Quetzal is battle armored, the Kairuku is safe from harm.

EDIT: About the rare mushrooms, I find them easy to come by mining crystal with an Ankylosaurus.

• Volunteer Moderator

Hope this is of some help.

Every 4 to 5 levels(depending on rounding) of fortitude should also get you about 1C of protection.  You also get a small extra insulation boost around every 6 to 7 levels of fortitude; might be due to rounding.

Also, you can get some protection by using a dire bear.  You get 50 heat/cold protection(about 3C worth) standing next to them; and I believe you get that when mounted.

Holding a torch gets you get you a little less than 50, which can flucuate a bit due to movement.    So, standing next to a bear with a torch should be good for 5C or 6C of protection; playing it safe on the estimates incase of rounding issues.

In an emergency, campfire will get you 94 insulation, which should be good for 5c to 6c of proteciton.  Multiple fires around you will you get more.

Of course, you burn through more food when you have the snow flake, and then you start to take damage(along with burning through food) when you have the ice cube.

1.) Campfires, campfires, campfires. Everywhere. If you have a solid enough base, use airconditioners. They'll perfectly regulate temperature so you won't get wild swings & have to regulate between eating or drinking too much.

2.) Cooked meat, not Mushrooms & Flowers. Cooked meat is designed to heal you when do start losing health and works better than the 1st 2 items. I understand they're abundant, but when it comes to health, meat is the way to go.

3.) Fortitude is your friend. Fortitude not only increases your resistances to extreme conditions, but it will also allow you to drain torpor faster, should you ever pass out. I've heard so many people say it's a waste of a stat. Heh, I woke up one time after getting knocked out, they didn't anticipate me having 40 fortitude & waking up as fast as an un-narced Giga to knock them out & get them in cuffs. (Provided you're on pvp, otherwise it's still very useful for extreme conditions.)

Just my advice, hope it helps.

Indeed I can vouch for the fur in underwater drops. It's still rare of course, but that's the only place you'll find it. 

Also as pointed out above, Direbears DO have the hypothermal bonus (from standing close to, or riding on them) but so do Direwolves. Careful, both are glass cannons so its easy to get carried away and forget how fragile they are

Archived