ARK Digest 22

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hey Survivors!

Sorry about the delay in getting this Digest out - we’ve been incredibly occupied lately with preparing this week’s content update, as well as preparing for our imminent release of “ARK: Survival Evolved” on the Xbox One!

Alienware Modding Contest

large.56683de2c7a6b_AlienwareBanner.jpg

It’s been quite a few months since we first announced the Alienware Modding Contest! The submission period, initial voting and judging period has now ended! Alienware will be announcing the top 10 from the contest tomorrow, so be on the lookout and good luck to everyone who makes it!

Community Crunch Contests

Be sure to check out our two-weekly running contests! ARKitect and ARKArt where we check out the best bases and the best pieces of art in the game! If you’d like to submit your base or something you’ve created in the game, you can check out the entries thread here which will fill you in on all the rules too!

Community Crunch Contest Submissions

Dino Dossier

large.Leedsichthys.jpg

A new Dino Dossier has been revealed, this one is everyone’s favorite gargantuan beast of the waters, the Leedsichthys!

Common Name: Leedsichthys
Species: Leedsichthys Conviviumbrosia
Time: Mid-Jurassic
Diet: Piscivore
Temperament: Defensive

Wild:
Leedsichthys Conviviumbrosia is probably the largest fish in the waters around the island. Its meant is also extremely succulent, a surprise given its size. It is often traded with the same value as Prime Meat, and colloquially called ‘Prime Fish’. Of course, not all of Leedsichthys’ meat is this high quality but most of it is!

While the demand for Leedsichthys meat is high, the fish is notoriously difficult to track and hunt. Between its large size, powerful attacks, incredible speed (when it turns to flee), and humankind’s general ineptitude on open water, actually killing a Leedsichthys is one of the island’s more difficult tasks. The hunt for an extremely elusive breed of the fish, the fabled ‘Great Albino’ Leedsichthys has been known to drive otherwise-sensible men and women mad with obsession, as if all evil were visibly personified and made practically assailable in this one creature.

Domesticated:
Despite its large size, and the fact that it may well be strong enough to carry heavy loads, Leedsichthys does not appear to be intelligent enough to tame. Nevertheless, some large tribes keep an enormous pen with a few Leedsichthys trapped inside for cultivating purposes, as bits of prime fish can be repeatedly scraped off the gargantuan beast without killing it.

ARK Digest Q&A

Survivor, Manks asks, “Hello Devs, in a previous Ark Digest you mentioned a new way to get high tier blueprints, would you be able to give anymore information on that?”

Bosses with scalability difficulty! So the tougher boss you summon, the better gear you’ll be able to get :).

Survivor, CautiousCreeper asks, “Could you make it so we can press "E" to rotate more structures like elevator rails, ceilings etc?”

Sure, we’ll work on getting this setup.

Survivor, Neoris asks, “When are you going to add an industrial version of the cooking pot? Right now is really tedious to make 100+ kibbles. Pls we need this !!”

Yes, the Industrial Oven will be released next week just in time for your Thanksgiving Roast! 

Survivor, eagle_1980 asks, “Can we get a preview on the Tek structures and what sort of mats would be involved and when will these be out?”

Teleporters. Shield Generators. Cloaking Devices. Plasma Rifles. Making heavy use of a new end-game resource called “Element”. An initial set of these will be releasing before the end of this year. Will that do? ;)

Survivor, Demitry asks, “Hello devs any ETA on when the water cave and bigger ocean will be coming?”

Early 2016 -- our priority at the moment is Snow/Swamp/Tek caves and Boss Arenas. But we will get to it!

Survivor, Martin Cinemax III asks, “Any chance we'll see a "Claim" option for structures belonging to dead players/tribes in Hardcore?”

Not likely specifically, as that would provide too much incentive to PvP.

Survivor, bubblywums asks, “What is the progress on water dino/amphibian/arachnid breeding? :)”

Working on it ;)

Survivor, Reubatina11 asks, “Can you tell us more about the upcoming Turkey Terror event? Will the tameable DodoRex be smaller and less powerful than the one in Fear Evolved?”

It’ll involve vicious Turkeys, and lots of them.

Survivor, JasonB asks, “When will creature AI get worked on and what do you hope to achieve from better AI?”

It’s undergoing a refactoring that will be deployed in December. Local-area navigation and sensory perception are the too main areas getting attention at the moment, along with more specialized abilities for the launch creatures.

Survivor, Dinogirl4Ever asks, “Could we get a perch for animals like dimorphodon and mesopithicus. I would love to store them properly instead of throwing them all around the room.”

Yes, that’s a cool idea and we will do it.

Survivor, warlordm59 also asks, “Can you make it where bats can land? and maybe even under ceilings:)?”

Yeah, we’re going to add the capability for bats to “hang”.

Survivor, Giveaway412 asks, “Were there any creatures planned for Ark that didn't make the final cut?”

Tame-able humans. ;)

Survivor, Erebuss asks, “Could we get the ability on PVE servers to demo old rafts? There are literally a hundred abandoned rafts all around.”

Yep, v234 will have the option to “Demolish” Rafts that you own, or that are claimable (so after the Claiming time period makes them available).

Survivor, Tyrannogon asks, “What kinds of creatures will be found in the snow biome's cave?”

Yetis.

Survivor, RadioActiveMan asks, “When the DodoRex returns, will we have larger time windows to experiment on this abomination of nature? The few times our server was able to locate him, he always despawned before we completed any experiments; even when we were actively engaged in pacifying him.”

Yes, next time he’ll stick around for an entire day.

Survivor, The Minted Lady asks, “Will you please add a game.ini option to enable wild dino damage on the spiked walls? They are so beautiful, I hate to have them go to waste on my casual PvE server. Right now there's no point to setting them up.”

Sure, we’ll do this in v234.

Survivor, Kimsie asks, “Is it your intention that we breeders keep track of each of our breeding animals' natural stats (the ones passed on to the offspring) or is this something we might be able to look up, say in the family tree you've announced? I'd love to do some pedigree breeding”

That’s the plan in the longer-term. For now, you might want to make your own family tree ;)

Survivor, SquidPublicArkAdmin asks, “Can you change the class of the "storage" in the StructureDecay system to match the longest timer i.e. metal tier- it's a bit silly if a player comes back from a week's holiday to find their metal base standing but all storage boxes / mortars etc demolished if the server is using the AutoStructureDestroy feature. It shouldn't make a difference as if a thatch / wood building auto destroyed the storage will automatically destroy when the foundation support is removed (apart from vaults of course”

Good point, we’ll do it for v234.

Survivor, Kabub asks, “will sl1pg8r get the sl1pg8r award?”

That will be up to sl1pg8r ;)

Survivor, Seghs asks, “Do you think there will every be trophies from other creatures besides the rex etc? I'd love a pair of Megaloceros antlers hanging on my wall”

Yes, there will be plenty more mountable Trophies incoming.

Survivor, Garick asks, “Tribe admin logs: Please elaborate on how this functions”

You’ll find out first-hand when v234 launches soon :)

Survivor, Valoule asks, “Can we have one option for maximum building height cap ? I want to construct Very big building but i can't ;'(“

It’s there for technical reasons at the moment, but we’ll look into providing an option to expand it.

Survivor, ImpureFrost asks, “Will we see more options with the implants in the future?”

Yeah, they play an important part in the upcoming Ascension game-loop.

Survivor, HelenTheHero asks, “With baby, juvenile, and adolescent kaiurukus in-game, will we see something similar for other dinos? It would be great to see baby dodos wandering around. :D”

Yes the intent is to have juveniles of many species out in the wild soon.

Survivor, BruceTheShark asks, “After just equipping my Paracer with a Catapult, I got to thinking... Wouldn't it be great if I could fling giant balls of feces at others? Any chance that will become a thing? :P”

Hmmmmm….. 

Survivor, [MAD]Jelly asks, “Please please please add a colour blind filter or change the colour of the compass since my directionally challenged partly red/green colourblind partner cannot find his way around the game, so a colour filter on the game or just changing the tip of the compass from a red to a blue or white would really help him”

Done, in v234!

Survivor, CraigChappy asks, “So I see your new Troodon will be tameable by letting it hunt dodos. But only dodos? Maybe.... prisoners? ;)”

Dodos was the example used in the Dossier, but it’ll hunt anything it thinks it can take on, including humans. Especially humans.

Survivor, Warcrime asks, “Can we get leashes or hitching posts so that we would be able to keep a dino in place even when someone accidentally hits the "call all" key?”

That’s a pretty neat idea, especially if it was integrated into the concept of tethering even during aggressive state (so that you could have a mean aggressive guard dog that would only be able to travel so far from the hitching post). Will be looking into this in the near future.

Survivor, ASLAN the jesus lion asks, “Will all the dossiers eventually be added to the game or is the unreleased section just a place to brainstorm.”

All Officially released ARK Dossiers are confirmed creatures that will be added to the game!

Survivor, dylan asks, “I will ask every digest... Will we have cannons that can launch doedis?"

Sounds like a good idea for a Mod :P

Survivor, Neizen Senpai asks, “Can you add submarine loot crates (illuminated treasure chest)? (yellow lvl 45, red lvl 60, orange lvl 75 and black light lvl 90)”

Yeah, we definitely will.

Survivor, Navi asks, “The angler gel is so great! You should see the trail of lights I've got up :D will we be seeing more colors for these?”

Indeed the plan is to make the colors randomized soon based on the color of the Angler itself.

Survivor, thekingcatfish asks, “We're had multiple dossiers hinting that fish are going to be a separate food source from meat/prime meat. (Kairuku/Baryonx/Icthyronis etc.), and today's dossier (the Leedsicthys) pretty much confirms that notion. When can we expect this to happen?”

In December with the introduction of Ichthyornis!

That’s it for this version of the ARK Digest! Thanks for tuning in and for your continued support everyone!

All the best,
Wildcard Jat & The ARK Survival Evolved Team!

• Jatheish pinned this topic
  • Tom unpinned this topic
  • Jatheish featured this topic

Archived