Resources Not Respawning Now Due to Pillar Spam

HighDBoom

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Anything is better than the current state

That's not true at all. Go to the steam forums and read where griefers are running rampant and blocking resources so now nobody on the server can access them.

That is not better than an ugly map.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GreenRoc said:

It seems that metal is respawning pretty close to pillars. It does appear to block tree resources however.

VEHIv2T.jpg

Not as bad as it seemed. I can be ok with this.

Was this metal mined before this change? Resources that respawned before this change will continue to be there until gathered. Once they are gathered they will no longer respawn. I have a base infront of a large deposit of metal on South Jungle on The Center. There is barely any metal nodes up there anymore because the pillars have blocked respawns.

2 minutes ago, nscheffel said:

The best solution would probably just be to make high level resources (crystal, metal, obsidian, oil, pearls, loot crates) spawn regardless of what was built on top of them and destroy anything in their way. The same thing as turning off building inside the volcano crater, but more comprehensive. Oh, and it would actually work.

That would still allow players to build AROUND resource areas in an effort to block them off in a PvP sense, but it would not allow them to completely disable them from spawning.

Yea I'm not good with words but that's what I was trying to get at

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

The game already has that. It's the no build on critical resource locations.

Are you playing on a PVE server? The critical resource protection is only on PVE servers as PVP servers have the means to remove structures in those areas.

Yes, official PVE. I can even open the dev kit and see the locations of the blocked areas. I can build in each of them. I'm pretty sure it's not turned on.

Perhaps I'm being simple minded about this (entirely possible), but if there is no building on resource spawn locations then the bulk of the issue should be resolved. 

And if this option is not turned on for all types of official PVE servers at this point, it would appear that it should now be done... which would seem to be a rather simple thing.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, ranger1presents said:

Perhaps I'm being simple minded about this (entirely possible), but if there is no building on resource spawn locations then the bulk of the issue should be resolved. 

And if this option is not turned on for all types of official servers at this point, it would appear that it should now be done... which would seem to be a rather simple thing.

Yes and no. It solves the issue of metal spawns not getting blocked at mountain tops (those are the only areas protected, cave entrances too). But it doesn't prevent people from still abusing the hell out of other spots.

How old is that pillar in the screen shot above?  Serialization issues are still at play even with the new save format. I remember when they changed Behemoth gates that old ones still didn't count as foundations to block building too close to them, that pillar might have the same issue.

It's entirely related to being able to mod the game. Only some objects are being saved in the new format... anything too different is still being saved raw it seems... I've noticed on servers with a lot of mods that the save pauses are still pretty long. 

I'm so glad to be done with official servers... If I hadn't been done already, I would have been done after this change.  I hope they hired more admins to police things...

Even if pve servers were 100% troll/griefer free, they'll eventually fill up now... Better get that procedural generation working or there will be a new complaint soon... Not enough land to build on...

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Yes and no. It solves the issue of metal spawns not getting blocked at mountain tops (those are the only areas protected, cave entrances too). But it doesn't prevent people from still abusing the hell out of other spots.

I see.  I thought it was an area of effect around all types of rare resource spawns (metal, crystal, obsidian, etc).

So I suppose that begs the question, why isn't it?

Perhaps there are technical reasons why the no build zone is restricted to mountain tops... but if a foundation can have a no build area around it for other tribes I see no reason for a resource node to not be able to have a no build area around it as well.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, ranger1presents said:

I see.  I thought it was an area of effect around all types of rare resource spawns (metal, crystal, obsidian, etc).

So I suppose that begs the question, why isn't it?

Perhaps there are technical reasons why the no build zone is restricted to mountain tops... but if a foundation can have a no build area around it for other tribes I see no reason for a resource node to not be able to have a no build area around it as well.

Ya the no build areas are just boxes drawn out on the map. Most of the no build space is underground.

Just now, GreenRoc said:

I agree fully with this suggestion! A much better solution in my opinion. I support this idea.

I'm pretty sure that would not solve a thing, nor would having resources destroy anything built on top of them.

People would just seal off the area, using large constructions... and of course on PVE servers that means the same issues would be in play.

I have a dream that if we have view-able statistics the Development team will hear the community and respond accordingly.

That being said I have made several strong points as to why I believe this change was a negative one.

Those arguments can all be seen in this thread Resources Not Respawning Now Due to Pillar Spam

So I've created a poll because arguing back and forth can mislead the Development team as to what popular opinion is.

Pillar Resource Prevention Poll

Poll Results

Would work better if it was on a site that didn't require signing in.... though I suppose that has to be done to keep people from mashing one answer or the other...

(For those of us who don't want to sign in, let's just give our simple yes/no answer. Use the other thread for longer other requirements)

I'm a solid 'No, this was a bad decision'

This new update to pillars is seriously depressing. I've read through all the posts up to this point, and have spoken with some of the most active players on my PVE server and those who understand the use of protecting resources with pillars feel the same way. Our community has been using pillars to protect resources sites against griefers, and have made great effort to work together to ensure the safety of its respawns. Now this puts us in a position where we have to unpillar these sites, leaving it WIDE open to griefers (which we have also seen an increase of on our server lately, before this patch....) I am literally terrified (as the rest of us who protect metal spawns) of what will result in me taking down my pillars around metal sites.... We had all the best places protected and now we are unintentionally ruining it. Now if I take down my pillars, it is left wide open for some griefer to come in and ruin it, and we cannot do anything about it (PVE). Seems most of the people on my PVE server have agreed to leave the pillars up for now and wait a few days or more to see what the devs do about this, and im perfectly fine with struggling for metal if it means not allowing griefers to place their own foundations/pillars over resources in the event this change to pillars gets reversed.

This is going to play out horribly for us PVE players and I sincerely hope the devs reconsider this change. We could protect resources with gates instead of pillars but going through each pillar and making that change would take a VERY long time and more resources than I'd like to secure something that was ALREADY secured in the first place.... So now the ugly map will look even uglier because instead of pillar spam, it will be gate spam to protect resources and block unwanted neighbors.

Please devs, I am not alone in feeling this way about the pillar update. Please listen to our responses and take not of how this will affect not only PVE but PVP servers as well. This is a bad move! This takes away the last bit of control that the good people who care about resource sites had. I know using pillars to protect resources was not intended, but the truth is, that its far better than what this pillar change will bring. I suggest that pillars be returned to not blocking spawns, until a better method of protecting resources is implemented. 

I love ark and while I've thought an update here and there wasn't so great, this one stands out enough to actually make me very sad to play my favorite PC game  I now feel as if I am to continue to play Ark, that I should quit PVE and find an unofficial/host my own to play on and enforce rules on resources by brute force.

Again, please PLEASE wildcard devs, please reconsider this change, as it is going to make our in game lives hell in the future

2 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

This new update to pillars is seriously depressing. I've read through all the posts up to this point, and have spoken with some of the most active players on my PVE server and those who understand the use of protecting resources with pillars feel the same way. Our community has been using pillars to protect resources sites against griefers, and have made great effort to work together to ensure the safety of its respawns. Now this puts us in a position where we have to unpillar these sites, leaving it WIDE open to griefers (which we have also seen an increase of on our server lately, before this patch....) I am literally terrified (as the rest of us who protect metal spawns) of what will result in me taking down my pillars around metal sites.... We had all the best places protected and now we are unintentionally ruining it. Now if I take down my pillars, it is left wide open for some griefer to come in and ruin it, and we cannot do anything about it (PVE). Seems most of the people on my PVE server have agreed to leave the pillars up for now and wait a few days or more to see what the devs do about this, and im perfectly fine with struggling for metal if it means not allowing griefers to place their own foundations/pillars over resources in the event this change to pillars gets reversed.

This is going to play out horribly for us PVE players and I sincerely hope the devs reconsider this change. We could protect resources with gates instead of pillars but going through each pillar and making that change would take a VERY long time and more resources than I'd like to secure something that was ALREADY secured in the first place.... So now the ugly map will look even uglier because instead of pillar spam, it will be gate spam to protect resources and block unwanted neighbors.

Please devs, I am not alone in feeling this way about the pillar update. Please listen to our responses and take not of how this will affect not only PVE but PVP servers as well. This is a bad move! This takes away the last bit of control that the good people who care about resource sites had. I know using pillars to protect resources was not intended, but the truth is, that its far better than what this pillar change will bring. I suggest that pillars be returned to not blocking spawns, until a better method of protecting resources is implemented. 

I love ark and while I've thought an update here and there wasn't so great, this one stands out enough to actually make me very sad to play my favorite PC game  I now feel as if I am to continue to play Ark, that I should quit PVE and find an unofficial/host my own to play on and enforce rules on resources by brute force.

Again, please PLEASE wildcard devs, please reconsider this change, as it is going to make our in game lives hell in the future

Gates dont block building. I know this as the person i mentioned in my previous post was able to place a fence 2ft away from my fences and gate. I have no idea why the text still tells you "near a enemy foundation or GATE"

Archived