[Wildcard QA] Xbox Play Anywhere

CryptedJeffrey

Dear Wildcard staff,

Could you tell us (the community) a bit more about the Xbox Play Anywhere that is coming on Sept. 13. This can be usefull for the PC & Xbox players as it allows them to play cross-platform with eachother.

Also this might fix the Player Dedicated Servers as it does not require to be hosted on a Xbox anymore. (this excites me the most). But also ofcourse PC & Xbox players that can now finally meet each-other.

According to: www.xboxplayanywhere.com

ARK is in the launch list of the Microsoft Play Anywhere service.

For this reason I think that I and many others would love to hear something from Wildcard themselves about this.

Thanks!

EDIT #1:

Killer Instinct is already 'cross-platform' in this case. Just updated Win10 with latest update. As it sais in the Windows 10 Store it can be cross-platform multiplayer between Xbox One and PC players.

kinstinct1-cross-platform1.jpg

After reading the information on Microsoft's site about "Xbox Play Anywhere", my take on this is a little different than the OP.

What I think this is, is that it will allow people with Windows 10 to play an Xbox One game. This does not allow you to play the PC version of ARK against XBox One servers. It is much simpler than that, it allows you to play the Xbox One version of ARK on a PC. Of course to do this, you will probably already own an Xbox One console, as you will need to own the Xbox One game first. I think PC players can get that for free (not sure about this part). You will also need an Xbox One account to get the Xbox One version of ARK, same as all Xbox One games.

I gave an Xbox One to my step son, so I might try this out if I can ever get time on it when he isn't using it :)

Update: Read more about this, yes, like the OP, I read that you can host a dedicated server on your Windows 10 PC also. Just making the point that this is a server for Xbox One ARK players and Windows 10 Xbox Play Anywhere version of ARK players, not for the PC steam version of ARK.

11 hours ago, wildbill said:

After reading the information on Microsoft's site about "Xbox Play Anywhere", my take on this is a little different than the OP.

What I think this is, is that it will allow people with Windows 10 to play an Xbox One game. This does not allow you to play the PC version of ARK against XBox One servers. It is much simpler than that, it allows you to play the Xbox One version of ARK on a PC. Of course to do this, you will probably already own an Xbox One console, as you will need to own the Xbox One game first. I think PC players can get that for free (not sure about this part). You will also need an Xbox One account to get the Xbox One version of ARK, same as all Xbox One games.

I gave an Xbox One to my step son, so I might try this out if I can ever get time on it when he isn't using it :)

Update: Read more about this, yes, like the OP, I read that you can host a dedicated server on your Windows 10 PC also. Just making the point that this is a server for Xbox One ARK players and Windows 10 Xbox Play Anywhere version of ARK players, not for the PC steam version of ARK.

Some games it is just shared save. But in this case it will be cross-play. So server would be on Win10 box, if you search well, you find some tweets from ARK devs hinting on hosting xbox dedi's on pc's as well. So at this moment I am getting rid of all my boxes 1 by 1. Once this lands I will have these servers up in matter of minutes. Can't wait. 

I think this will only take into account people who have the game through XB1 already or buy it from the Windows 10 store. Whichever version you buy you'll get access to it from the other platform, so you only buy it once to play on XB1 or PC. My understanding is that you'll be able to host games on the PC that XB1/PC gamers (though only Windows Store bought) can join and vice versa.

This isn't going to let us join the servers of people who have the game via Steam, or them join our games.

However, there's no mention of ARK being released on day 1 of the Play Anywhere launch so unless the PC build will be a fairly straightforward compile (which it could be, presumably the XB1 and Windows Store builds are very similar given the architecture) it may not be top of WC's priority list. But hopefully someone from the team can answer that 

Archived