ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, GregoPeck said:

Why was the desert not added as a biome to The Island, but instead got it's own map (Scorched Earth)? Why didn't the snow biome get the same treatment (it's own DLC map)?

Can we expect more biomes on The Island or DLC like Scorched Earth? If so, can you give us a hint at what they might be?

they already stated that the island wouldnt be getting any more new biomes since its to small and they cannot make it larger 

I love the way Wyvern eggs work on scorched earth. Gotta find an egg and raise them from birth. That has been my ideal since ark came out for all dinos. 

You guys plan to expand that system? I would love to play in a way where ALL my dinos are from eggs I hunt down, steal, and hatch. Could add an interesting challenge and RP opportunities. Perhaps babies in the wild could also be imprinted since not all creatures lay eggs. 

I love building cool bases and structures in Ark. Over time you learn tricks and methods to get the items to do what you want or place the way you like but it's not always possible to use such tricks. Sometimes even when you seem to have that wall showing "green" exactly where you want it, you hit place and it somehow moves. In order to make building a bit easier I have 2 suggestions:

1. Give structures that have snap points, (such as walls and foundations), an option in their menu to make them a "Priority Snap-point". Then run a simple script when a player is trying to place an item that searches if the nearby area has a "Priority snap". The item, (wall for example), will only snap to the priority snap-point and ignore all the others. This will allow players more control of where they want items placed.

2. The twist option that's available for placement with some items is useless in it's current setup because you always have to have a "green" placement first from the front perspective. If you actually want to get a large storage bin for example into a small space, you can't use the twist until you place it lengthwise. Meaning if you want the side of it to be facing out, you need to place it while standing on the left or right of the small space. This is where the twist option is supposed to help but you can't twist an item until you have a "green" placement, it which case you might as well place it from the side and ignore the twist. All items that give the twist feature should allow you to click placement on "red" first so you can then twist the item into a "green" placement.

Oh yes and for the love of gawd can we please please please have a better system for game and mod updates? When something updates all players get kicked from the server immediately with no warning and then have to scramble to find an admin to fix it and hope they haven't died in the process. Better hope you weren't flying over water when a mod update hits.

The update system should have a history and an ability to select which and when updates are applied. At the very least if updates need to be forced, give admins the ability to schedule them according to their convenience.

On top of the question I already asked. With the addition of the wind turbine, might we be able to craft a small capacitor to hold electrical power during times that the turbine has no wind to function? Maybe something like for every 10 mins (in game) capacitor will run for 15-30 mins (in game). Maybe even see the addition of solar panels to generate power?

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Few questions:

•On pve SE servers water veins are no build volumes could these be altered to allow water pipes it would open up more long term building locations

•Can you make viewing advanced info toggle able

•As someone who likes to keep cables/pipes nice and tidy and or hidden completely can we get angled irrigation pipes and electrical cables...we have the diagonal piece looking for more horizontal options

•Add a favorites option when transferring a character to/from SE servers

•Will we be able to paint railings and other various currently unpaintable structures

Here are a couple questions for the next digest:

• Electric lighting is harsh in Ark. Can we get a way to change light colors, such as dying the light the same way we can dye flare guns?

• Power on Scorched Earth greatly limits viable build locations, not because of refrigerators but because of high tech gadgets such as the chemistry table needing to be powered to run. Given that it is a desert environment, an official Solar Panel that works only during the day (excluding times when there are storms) would be great. Combined with the Wind Turbines for night power would greatly help the power situation while still keeping the spirit of power being imperfect alive. Any chance of this happening?

• With the low stack count of organic polymer and the high polymer costs of some of the late game techs, can we get more slots in the fabricator?

• Collecting certain resources, such as paste while riding frogs, can result in high level creatures ceasing to collect due to "slot limitations" while still having plenty of weight available, especially on servers with increased weight limits - can we get a better way of handling this so we don't run out of slot room on our animals as easily? Especially useful, even if the number of slots per animal is changed, would be a notice on screen that tells you you couldn't pick up the goods due to too many items on your animal - at least then you'd know to drop your massive piles of raw meat!

Thanks!

Can we have server settings where you can have part of the map be pvp so like for scorched earth you could make a huge city where people can meet but don't go to far south because that's the wild badlands where everyone murders each other. Also the city has an arena or something.

This way people can kinda build a world on their servers and have fun with all the styles of play.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:19 PM, Klaytos said:

Any news on the ability to host an Xbox server via PC? You mentioned it as being something you are working on some time ago, and I was hoping maybe you could give us an update.

This is likely tied to the Play Anywhere launch with the Windows Store version. Once that is out then (at least in theory!) any PC able to run the game as a server can host a game - that is hopefully join-able for XB1 players.

Archived