Community Crunch 58 and ARK Digest 39!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hello Survivors,

Welcome to your latest edition of the Community Crunch and ARK Digest!

Nerd Out!

So you guys may remember our friends over at Nerd Out, who made that awesome Evolve song right? Well, they're back again with another cool track. Check it out!

ARK Survival Of The Fittest Song | "Fit For Survival" | #NerdOut! by Nerd Out!

and if for some reason you haven't heard Evolve yet.. well, let's sort that out right now.

ARK Digest!

Here is our question and answer session with Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, Co-Creative Director of ARK: Survival Evolved, and Co-Founder of Studio Wildcard: Jeremy "Drake" Stieglitz!

Survivor, GamerPerfection asks, “Would you be able to put a setting in, maybe in the INI, so that I can disable the flee mechanic completely for tamed dinos? So that I can have "fight to the death" scenarios?”

Ah yes I’ll go ahead and make it a per-Dino setting to force that Tamed Dino never to flee. How cruel!

FlyingJapman4 had some Primal Survival based questions...

---

Survivor, FlyingJapman4 asks, “Will there be a commo-rose for each creature species, and will the AI react to those vocalization? For example, if a Rex player were to roar at a smaller species of carnivore who was wandering around a nesting spot, would the AI run away or continue to disregard the Rex until the player chose to attack as they do now? Would there be mating calls, "pack order" calls, etc?”

Yep, vocalized calls will be a method of communicating/ordering in Primal Survival.

Survivor, FlyingJapman4 also asks, “Since humans are required to drink water, will there be a "drinking" action similar to a "feeding" action for creatures? Or will drinking not be a thing in Primal Survival?”

Drinking will indeed be a new mechanic for most creatures in Primal Survival, as will temperature.

Survivor, FlyingJapman4 also asks, “Will there be breeding for the currently non-breedable species when this game mode launches, or will that be added later on? On top of that, will there be a change to the breeding mechanics for Player-AI breeding? Currently, AI creatures (tamed) have to be set to Wander while being boxed in with each other, and then both parents can just disregard the egg/baby entirely after mating while the human player takes care of it.”

Not all creatures will have breeding at launch of Primal Survival, but all playable creatures will have Taming. Mating and Taming (recruiting) will have different mechanics in Primal Survival, vs Survival Evolved.

Survivor, FlyingJapman4 also asks, “Will all currently added creatures (up to the Titanosaur or Allosaur when it is added) be playable, or will they come out in tweeks and updates to the game mode?”

It’ll start with a limited set of playable creatures (about 15-20 or so), but modders will be able to add more, and then over time we’ll add more as well.

---

Survivor, MiniMonyx asks, “Any chance we can get an upgrade to the grapple in the tek tier, either a grapple with durability instead of a one time use or a wearable gears similar to the "Attack on Titan" ODM gear?”

I don’t have a Tek Grapple planned for the Official content, but with the Tek Jetpacks, you probably won’t need one...

Survivor, Falitian asks, “Despite the performance issues, any chance of getting VR Support for the HTC Vive, or at the least enable it as launchable through Steam VR so we can at least start testing/optimizing our rigs?”

The first step is relaunching the Oculus VR support which should be happening this week, and after that I’ll be taking a look at what we can do with the Vive!

Survivor, MiniMonyx also asks, “Can Blueprints for items such as "Water Jars" and "Medium Crop plots" and structures such as "Metal Sign" and "Metal Wall" have some kind of discount so that its worth keeping those blueprints around”

Well, the advantage to a Blueprint is that you don’t need to learn the Engram, saving you EP ;)

Survivor, maze asks, “Could we (again on Xbox) get an option to see 'extended HUD info' quickly? By just holding LB, maybe?”

Yep, this will be added in the next Xbox Update.

Survivor, Adamsmasher asks, “Could the tracking system's ping timer be extended? It shows only for a few seconds and, due to the names all being horizontal, it can be difficult to see the name you're seeking. However, if it was extended and/or a dot was added to our map then at least we could get a better idea where they were in relation to our position, even briefly.”

Will go ahead and triple that ping timer.

Survivor, Creotor asks, “Please consider adding an autodestroy function & timers for tamed dinos and player bodies, like the one for structures. It would help a great deal with admin'ing.”

Indeed I’ll do so.

Survivor, tomb asks, “Anything you can reveal about the upcoming Lycanthropy, Vampirism, and Zombietis that is coming to the halloween event? Will we be able to turn into wolfs during the fullmoon? Or is it more of the dodos turning into weredodos?”

It’s player-transforming. It’s going to be a heck of an event-week to remember (and will be available as a Mod thereafter).

Survivor, tomb also asks, “How is the "only target wild" turret mode coming along?”

Aha, it’s added in v245.93 now, though requires a server-update; we’ll get our servers upgraded to that soon :)

Survivor, xKingPheonix asks, “Will every or at least most creatures have an alpha variant?”

The major carnivores will!

Survivor, Jtmorris asks ,”With the upcoming ability to host Xbox servers on PC, would that in theory make it possible to untether players in split screen?”

Alas, console splitscreen players will need to remain tethered due to console memory limits. The main benefit of PC hosting for Xbox servers is: not requiring a premium Xbox Live account or separate Xbox to host, more control over game settings, higher performance for up to 100 players, and options for certain server-side mods.

Survivor, OrbitalPredator asks, “Will there be any sort of implementation for size variations with regular dinosaurs, much like the different sizes Coelacanth and Saber-toothed Salmon”

It will likely be done for all non-rideable creatures, but not ride-ables since we can’t dynamically scale the saddle to still fit the rider.

Survivor, Vargen Saphia asks, “Could you please make so that if tribe owner is inactive for 30 days, the tribe ownership gets passed down to the most active admin or player in the tribe? I've been wanting so join other players tribe, merge tribes and change tribe name for a long time now, but since I am not the owner I cannot change the ownership of structures or dinos to personally owned, even though I am admin of the tribe.”

I’ll make it an option for a Tribe Rank group to have full ownership access, so that that least the Tribe can alternatively have another Owner to manage it.

Survivor, Martellus asks, “Vehicles and Bionics, is it still a debate/dialog at Wildcard?”

Bionic Implants of sorts will be happening with the Tek Tier. Vehicles are an ongoing debate.

Survivor, nscheffel asks, “Behemoth gates currently open inwards if you trigger the left door, and outwards if you trigger the right door. Can you make that a selectable option? In/out (current functionality), always inwards, and always outwards would be 3 extremely useful settings for all doors. “

Sure, why not ;)

Survivor, Irk asks, “We currently only have tranq/stone/metal arrows, but would it be possible to use leeches to make poison arrows?”

That’s certainly an interesting idea to give leech blood more uses, will consider it.

Survivor, Nightkill101 asks, “With the Allosaurus out now with its pack tactics. Will the same thing be added to the dire wolves sometime soon?”

Yep, it will be quite soon now!

Community Contests!

ARKitect!

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitect for Community Crunch 58 is…

Valoule for his China ARKline!

20160728224856_1.jpg.945fc671dcfaac03f06

1_1.jpg.778962dd294224667e843f5dcebd6831

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/t5bHi

We'd also like to announce two runners up that we were very impressed with, you'll all be awarded runner up prizes and thanks again for your awesome entries!

Zergling939 for their Tree House!

FataL1ty’s Wall-E!

2DxiKgh.jpg

2g0jnjF.jpg

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/kl7M8

ARKVideo!

This contest is open for all types of video be they funny, epic, scenic, stories, whatever inspires you. Just a general reminder that they should remain safe for work, think of the children! 

The ARKVideo winner for Community Crunch 58 is…

ARK GOT ME A GIRLFRIEND! By nakedzombo

We'd also like to announce Lame Wolf Production as a runner up for their Squeakers entry, congratulations!

That’s it for this week’s entries guys! Thank you to all those who entered and congratulations to all our winners and if you’d like to take a look at what all the survivors submitted, you can do so here:

Fan Feature!

250 ALLOSAURUS VS GIGANOTOSAURUS! | SEA OF FIRE! | Ark: Survival Evolved by Syntac Gaming!

Allosaurus - How to Tame/Everything you need to know! By Thick Freedom!

MODDED ARK: Annunaki Genesis - TAMING A FROST DRAKE! By sl1pg8r

Building a BIG Wall! :: ARK Survival Evolved Gameplay on IronMine by SWChris!

ARK UPDATE v245 - ALLOSAURUS, PELAGORNIS, FISHING, GRINDER AND MORE!! By JayEx23!

Dodorex Princess by Albina Diamond

9757C098CABF255D6425B7E0C1BCE42AB3DBEC97

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730545405

Treehouse by FinestCreature3

040CC833124A1F8325B5DE3790732F793D56CF44

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732900024

Wyerex’s Trike!

01EAAEFB5DB167BDA962D4FB05A30CB50CC27B3F

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=733858662

Drowsee and Squirtle! By Sharkcat

B4C9C2F73DEA51D22AA7676951CCA28A298B8AFE

5D50197AA2A664E0FA91F0FC0E10BF4732C46731

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730138638

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730035163

Harbour City II by Sharkking

F7DFCF7ABED8632259BE43B7769FF8881BDD7F51

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701602515

Fanmade Dossier: Nigersaurus by Mega

6323162944FB79DFD165829DC0615F7B32955A1C

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730031589

Fanmade Dossier: Marioth by Mega

457917B86ED6FBBA53D0A7113A00DD1EF7DD0710

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730917100

Fanmade Dossier: Isisaurus by Mega

8275AD921B32EF67B45547C45B327E2E09852F33

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731924148

Steam Free Weekend and Epic 50% Sale!

large.579bf7f94129b_Pastedimageat2016_07

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110

To celebrate the release of Primitive+ as an Official Mod and the major update which came to The Center and ARK: Survival Evolved, From Thursday through Wednesday, July 28 - August 3, 2016, ARK: Survival Evolved is on sale for Steam players at 50% off (retail $29.99)!

That’s it for this week’s post guys! Cedric’s catching up on some rest after the intense few weeks he’s had preparing for the release of Primitive+ DLC, so he’ll be back soon with his Workshop Spotlight!

As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on Twitter at @survivetheark - Facebook at www.facebook.com/survivetheark and Reddit at www.reddit.com/r/playark

All the best,

Wildcard Jat and the ARK: Survival Evolved Team!

View full article

1 hour ago, Jat said:

Survivor, Jtmorris asks ,”With the upcoming ability to host Xbox servers on PC, would that in theory make it possible to untether players in split screen?”

Alas, console splitscreen players will need to remain tethered due to console memory limits. The main benefit of PC hosting for Xbox servers is: not requiring a premium Xbox Live account or separate Xbox to host, more control over game settings, higher performance for up to 100 players, and options for certain server-side mods.

When is this coming out?!??!

4 hours ago, Grognak said:

When is this coming out?!??!

Probably not for another month at least. Wildcard has to wait for xbox to come out with an update that has no definite release date. It's the update that officially releases the "play anywhere" option. How long  it will take wildcard after the Xbox update release i have no idea either.

2 hours ago, eco said:

I love the Nerd Out song! The plane with the little dinos inside is so creative and the tree house is just beautiful. I love that his exists! 

Thanks Eco! Wished I could have used your plant mod with it but sigh my pc wont allow me to use it For some reason my pc makes it cause issues with my game! As your mods would have been perfect! Am now on primitive plus though which mods can't be used with but still it would have been awesome for that base

Sigh I can only wish lol But if my PC (even though its only 2 months old) Complains and doesn't like them I can't do much about that unfortunately

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, TedyBearOfDeath said:

Probably not for another month at least. Wildcard has to wait for xbox to come out with an update that has no definite release date. It's the update that officially releases the "play anywhere" option. How long  it will take wildcard after the Xbox update release i have no idea either.

Sept 13.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/1/12077802/xbox-play-anywhere-launches-sept-13

3 hours ago, Dustiest-Ninja said:

"Just a general reminder that they should remain safe for work, think of the children!"

I feel like the amount of offensively disturbing innuendo in "ARK GOT ME A GIRLFRIEND" disqualifies it.

Not to say the ending is not funny, or that they did not put a lot of hard work into it.

Although as a preview game ark doesn't have a rating but it obviously isn't going to be "E" for everyone. When released it will most likely get an "M" rating for 17+. At that point it is up to the parents to watch out for their children not us. This game includes multiple forms of violence, partial nudity, and drug use. Any person old enough to play this game can handle some innuendo. If that video offended you personally, you must be new to the internet.

On not being able to scale saddles: You could make saddles a 2 piece item, one in which one half attaches to the player (which doesn't change size), and that in turn is connected  to the dino, which does scale, and at the point where the two halves connect, you can have varying sized dinos without messing up the saddles.

I think that some of the baby dinos should look a little diffrent! For example the Argentavis should not just be a smaller version of the adult one! It should be like the real life baby eagles white and brown and look more new born (and it would not be able to fly) And the same thing with other birds like the Kaikuru! And maybe should the Sabertooth baby look more like a kittin, and the Dire Wolf baby should be more like a puppy. And there are more that should have a chance but thats just my opinion :D

• lilpanda pinned and featured this topic
10 hours ago, CHESTAH said:

Will there be a hotkey implemented on the Xbox for using admin commands? For example if I'm using the givetome command, I won't have to go to the pause menu for every single item. Or perhaps an "give all" command? Thanks.

What is the context of this? What are you taking? There are a lot of commands that can help admins on player dedicated servers depending on the situation.

I would LOVE to see this... Put up some dedicated datacenter servers with 256 GB of RAM, use 56 GB of RAM to create a disk (Yes, you can create a disk from RAM, making it 10x faster than an SSD), have 200 GB of RAM left, and maybe 2 or 4 Xeon CPU's. 1 Gbit unmetered premium transit line on it.

If it does not run smooth then. I give up 

On 8/5/2016 at 4:19 PM, TedyBearOfDeath said:

What is the context of this? What are you taking? There are a lot of commands that can help admins on player dedicated servers depending on the situation.

I had to claim (via "give to me" command) an entire base because of a tribe dispute on my server. So for every individual piece I was having to go to the start menu and click the command again. That's why I was thinking of having a hotkey for admin commands. That or something along the lines of a "claim entire structure" command. 

6 minutes ago, CHESTAH said:

I had to claim (via "give to me" command) an entire base because of a tribe dispute on my server. So for every individual piece I was having to go to the start menu and click the command again. That's why I was thinking of having a hotkey for admin commands. That or something along the lines of a "claim entire structure" command. 

There is a command to do that. "Giveallstructure" I believe. You can also wipe all of a tribes structures on the map with one command. 

• lilpanda unpinned, unfeatured, pinned and featured this topic
  • lilpanda unpinned and unfeatured this topic