Industrial Grinder Is a Joke

MikeLoeven

The industrial grinder is yet another example of something that should be amazing but turns into crap due to a poor implementation.

The cost alone is ridiculous and another example of the dev's inability to comprehend balanced recipes.

the implementation is even worse. The fact that it returns 1/4 of the materials used to craft an item is great however capping the output at 50 of each item is a bridge too far. its not needed and royally screws over players who planned to recycle higher level items. For the love of god someone needs to slap some sense into the guy who is in charge of coming up with these really horrible mechanics.

End the insanity.

cut the cost of the grinder in half and remove 50 item cap it is simply not needed with the 1/4 yield

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeah its not worth at all, it also seems to only give you organic polymer(even if the original recipe used normal Poly), so... jeah ... not sure why they would cap it this hard its not like you can effectively farm ocean crates for poly cause the time it takes you to even find a riot piece or a fab sniper you can easily farm a similar amount imho. 

dude im not saying i cant pay it i could pay it easy, im saying its not worth, cause the amount of stuff youd have to grind up to even pay the machine itself  is ridiculous... and impossible because you dont even get polymer.  

in fact i think im the kind of player this is targeted at  i have tons of stored up high end equip i never use. but still i dont think i will build this anytime soon.

Another tech for alphas and modded players. Doesn't fit the bill to be cost-effective for most players. Surely it's meant for destructing expensive but useless saddles deep sea crates have to offer, for the likes of paracer, bronto, quetz, plesio and mosa. Definitely not what the userbase was so avidly craving for. I think most people just wanted to recycle their alpha dino loot and similar small objects. I have vaults full of apprent+ gear which at some point was on offer to beginner players but not any more. Maybe 10% of those people stay for over a month.

Anyways, 1/4th for a 50 times limit on use is ridiculous. I was really hoping for half the materials return and maybe enforce durability on said machine to limit the excessive use.

1 hour ago, eESTlane said:

Another tech for alphas and modded players. Doesn't fit the bill to be cost-effective for most players. Surely it's meant for destructing expensive but useless saddles deep sea crates have to offer, for the likes of paracer, bronto, quetz, plesio and mosa. Definitely not what the userbase was so avidly craving for. I think most people just wanted to recycle their alpha dino loot and similar small objects. I have vaults full of apprent+ gear which at some point was on offer to beginner players but not any more. Maybe 10% of those people stay for over a month.

Anyways, 1/4th for a 50 times limit on use is ridiculous. I was really hoping for half the materials return and maybe enforce durability on said machine to limit the excessive use.

wait you mean it breaks after 50 uses or it will only give back 50 units of an item?

15 minutes ago, Meat said:

I only see blueprints for thatch and flint. You guys are finding more? 

I was definitely hoping it would be the same grinder as the mod but expected it to be nerfed. It was nerfed alright!

Wood into Thatch and Stone into Flint are the only resources you can grind into. The other function of this machine is to demolish saddles and weapons and other items like that into 1/4th of the materials that were needed for making of them.

1 minute ago, eESTlane said:

Wood into Thatch and Stone into Flint are the only resources you can grind into. The other function of this machine is to demolish saddles and weapons and other items like that into 1/4th of the materials that were needed for making of them.

and THAT output is capped to 50 per recource, so if you wanna grind up sth expensive though luck you only gettin 50 max of each recource, also does not give Polymer only organic polymer.

1 minute ago, LokiTDD said:

wait you mean it breaks after 50 uses or it will only give back 50 units of an item?

That it would have a durability bar like any armor (except saddles) or weapons have. With current item slots, which is at 60, the machine could be limited to 2 converts and then will be completely broken and need of a rehaul, which is around 10% of the crafting costs. Same thing could be done with fabricators as any machinery wears in time and use.

10 hours ago, MikeLoeven said:

however capping the output at 50 of each item is a bridge too far. its not needed and royally screws over players who planned to recycle higher level items.

Tell us all how many items you were planning on putting into the grinder, calculate the mats at a quarter return without the cap. Then we'll see why there is a cap.

And....when the alpha tribe realizes it is easier and funner to process the rest of the server through their grinder instead of mining rocks, what then? They would look at your base like " look at that juicy mosa with a mastercraft saddle...let's blow it up, that's x amount of y parked there." 

My point is, the devs do think about outcomes and repercussions with these decisions they make, show some respect and don't call them dumb. 

3 hours ago, waterKeeper said:

And....when the alpha tribe realizes it is easier and funner to process the rest of the server through their grinder instead of mining rocks, what then? They would look at your base like " look at that juicy mosa with a mastercraft saddle...let's blow it up, that's x amount of y parked there." 

My point is, the devs do think about outcomes and repercussions with these decisions they make, show some respect and don't call them dumb. 

My opinion of the devs comes not from just this one incident but from a long line of bad design choices they always choose the hammer to try and balance something that can easily be balanced by other methods that make more sense and as a result end up with broken mechanics. additionally they never listen to the community posts spoon feeding them better methods for implementing the broken features. 

as to your point about the alpha tribes killing peoples mounts for loot hears a news flash THEY ALREADY DO THIS and more often than not just for the lulz. so your point is completely invalid since greifing on that level already happens on a daily basis unless your playing on PVE

i really wish these forums had a poll function because it lets you get accurate numbers for community opinion since people who might not bother posting in a topic will still find the time to vote since its rather fast and painless

8 hours ago, ChrisDino said:

these mashines are for alpha tribes. for you it is expensive but for others really cheap. go 5 ankys in the volcano, kill some penguins, loot some beaver dams and you are fine. stop complaining for stupid things.

If it was for Alpha tribes they still wouldn't need it since they don't need the poop resources that are returned lol So that would make it a poor item either way. 

• Volunteer Moderator

The grinder was implemented in such a way that players can convert unused materials into resources while at the same time still making running out into the wild to collect materials a necessity. Left without these restrictions, people would just be flying around garbage collecting supply crates for resources rather than taking an ankylo for metal, or a beaver for wood, etc etc.

10 hours ago, MikeLoeven said:

My opinion of the devs comes not from just this one incident but from a long line of bad design choices they always choose the hammer to try and balance something that can easily be balanced by other methods that make more sense and as a result end up with broken mechanics. additionally they never listen to the community posts spoon feeding them better methods for implementing the broken features. 

as to your point about the alpha tribes killing peoples mounts for loot hears a news flash THEY ALREADY DO THIS and more often than not just for the lulz. so your point is completely invalid since greifing on that level already happens on a daily basis unless your playing on PVE

i really wish these forums had a poll function because it lets you get accurate numbers for community opinion since people who might not bother posting in a topic will still find the time to vote since its rather fast and painless

While I do not see eye to eye with the development team on a number of balance / game mechanic issues... this is not one of them.

For an initial investment you gain a low but steady resource stream from items that you would normally trash and get nothing from.  If you're a member of an even moderately active tribe you can't help but come out ahead... over time WAY ahead.

Putting an item like this in play without hard limits (50 cap) would be incredibly foolish.  Now they may tweak that limit a bit after it's been in play for awhile, but to remove it entirely is highly unlikely.

16 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

While I do not see eye to eye with the development team on a number of balance / game mechanic issues... this is not one of them.

For an initial investment you gain a low but steady resource stream from items that you would normally trash and get nothing from.  If you're a member of an even moderately active tribe you can't help but come out ahead... over time WAY ahead.

Putting an item like this in play without hard limits (50 cap) would be incredibly foolish.  Now they may tweak that limit a bit after it's been in play for awhile, but to remove it entirely is highly unlikely.

While i see your point perhaps the caps should be based on the relative value of the item instead of a flat 50 units per grind. if the cap was more reasonable.

but i still stand by what i said about the grinder having it's cost cut in half

Archived