Industrial Grinder Is a Joke

MikeLoeven

1 hour ago, GobboKirk said:

Pretty much what I use it for.. Anything I don't wanna keep I toss in there... Actually adds up quite nicely after having it for a while.

Less waste etc.

Yep, we have a drop (green-blue-pink and a rare yellow) right in front of the base. We have to walk 10 feet to collect the crap out of it. 99% of the time it's stuff we don't need but we take and grind. Over time it turns into amazing quantities of good mats. 

Just last week we collected about 10 pieces of primitive flak and turned that into about 300 ingots. We could have gone and farmed that in 5 minutes, yes...but that flak was going to disappear anyway so why not take it and ''use it'' if its right in front or our nose.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, powerstuck said:

Yep, we have a drop (green-blue-pink and a rare yellow) right in front of the base. We have to walk 10 feet to collect the crap out of it. 99% of the time it's stuff we don't need but we take and grind. Over time it turns into amazing quantities of good mats. 

Just last week we collected about 10 pieces of primitive flak and turned that into about 300 ingots. We could have gone and farmed that in 5 minutes, yes...but that flak was going to disappear anyway so why not take it and ''use it'' if its right in front or our nose.

Exactly, it's there, free stuff is free stuff.
Not like I need 200 apprentice hatched anyways, might as well get some free ingots.

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2016 at 5:18 PM, HYUNA said:

If you are too stupid to figure out how to use the grinder, that's on you. Its a VERY good item.

Well aware I am replying to an old post, but ---

I haven't made a grinder -- yet.  So far it seems to me the resource costs vs the resource gain seems marginal at best.  It seems it would take a long time to replace just what you used to create the grinder using the grinder.

Perhaps I am missing an obvious function?  I do realize you can put unused items like tools, weapons and saddles in the unit.  The whole getting organic polymer instead of standard polymer just seems like a kick in the teeth on top of the other restrictions.

On 7/30/2016 at 5:49 PM, ciabattaroll said:

The grinder was implemented in such a way that players can convert unused materials into resources while at the same time still making running out into the wild to collect materials a necessity. Left without these restrictions, people would just be flying around garbage collecting supply crates for resources rather than taking an ankylo for metal, or a beaver for wood, etc etc.

This is a very good point but if this is a tool targeted towards alpha tribes, I would think said tribes would be working on very large projects at that point the leadership would just be working the grunts anyways. :)  Having fewer limits on the grinder could help upset the feudal relationship alphas have with their peasants. LOL :) HAHAHAH

On 7/31/2016 at 4:09 PM, ranger1presents said:

If I read the patch notes correctly they have already raised the cap to 100.

Seems like a good idea.

The industrial grinder is amazing to get resources quickly.
The amount of crap we loot, including easy access to raw materials such as stone and wood make the grinder a godsent for collecting everything in one go.

Take a chainsaw to trees, get 3000 wood, turn half of it into thatch with 1:1 ratio, and the same for stone with a 2:1 ratio.
Building has never been so easy, and grinding experience with this is nuts.
1 to levels an hour easily on level 95+.

The inudstrial grinder is far from a joke when used properly.

4 minutes ago, Olivar said:

The industrial grinder is amazing to get resources quickly.
The amount of crap we loot, including easy access to raw materials such as stone and wood make the grinder a godsent for collecting everything in one go.

Take a chainsaw to trees, get 3000 wood, turn half of it into thatch with 1:1 ratio, and the same for stone with a 2:1 ratio.
Building has never been so easy, and grinding experience with this is nuts.
1 to levels an hour easily on level 95+.

The inudstrial grinder is far from a joke when used properly.

I hadn't considered the chainsaw, trees, grinder thatch strategy but honestly I rarely if ever have an issue getting plenty of thatch with a pickaxe.

The lift of 50 to 100 cap makes the grinder more inviting.  I am mostly sold on it but not 100% convinced it is awesome but it may be one of those you need to see it to believe it.  Does it still create organic polymer when it grinds stuff made with polymer?  Not a big deal just need to plan around that and only grind polymer items when we need it.

Thanks for the input!

6 minutes ago, DoucheVader said:

I hadn't considered the chainsaw, trees, grinder thatch strategy but honestly I rarely if ever have an issue getting plenty of thatch with a pickaxe.

The lift of 50 to 100 cap makes the grinder more inviting.  I am mostly sold on it but not 100% convinced it is awesome but it may be one of those you need to see it to believe it.  Does it still create organic polymer when it grinds stuff made with polymer?  Not a big deal just need to plan around that and only grind polymer items when we need it.

Thanks for the input!

yeah it still does Organic Polymer

On 8/1/2016 at 4:18 AM, Duffried said:

The very fact you're allowed to put an item into the grinder that you didn't craft is ridiculous in itself.

I would think it would be ridiculous to grind things that you just crafted only to net 25% of the materials.

Thatch and Flint are damned easy to farm if the Grinder only had the ability to provide those items I am not sure how useful it would be.

EDIT -- Weird did they close this thread out?  I know it was an old thread but most of the topic matter was still relevant.

Hi,

hmm, in the past it was used because you got more than you put in, glitch and then patched.

Before launch of ARK: Survival Evolved we put it on a raft and had one castoroides to fill it with wood, grabbed note and started the beast. The raft could not be moved until the end of all wood. For some reason that stopped the XP. I am just saying if someone decides to test it now. Very easy way to gain xp.

Regards,

Ariana

On 7/29/2016 at 10:37 PM, MikeLoeven said:

The industrial grinder is yet another example of something that should be amazing but turns into crap due to a poor implementation.

The cost alone is ridiculous and another example of the dev's inability to comprehend balanced recipes.

the implementation is even worse. The fact that it returns 1/4 of the materials used to craft an item is great however capping the output at 50 of each item is a bridge too far. its not needed and royally screws over players who planned to recycle higher level items. For the love of god someone needs to slap some sense into the guy who is in charge of coming up with these really horrible mechanics.

End the insanity.

cut the cost of the grinder in half and remove 50 item cap it is simply not needed with the 1/4 yield

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way Grinder works or what it takes to make it.

Do not like it? Do not make one or use it then.

It has its pro's and cons just like most everything else in the game.

Just because you might not understand it for this one, does not mean it is broken like you think.

We personally have multiple grinders for various uses and will be making more.

On 7/30/2016 at 5:37 AM, MikeLoeven said:

The industrial grinder is yet another example of something that should be amazing but turns into crap due to a poor implementation.

The cost alone is ridiculous and another example of the dev's inability to comprehend balanced recipes.

the implementation is even worse. The fact that it returns 1/4 of the materials used to craft an item is great however capping the output at 50 of each item is a bridge too far. its not needed and royally screws over players who planned to recycle higher level items. For the love of god someone needs to slap some sense into the guy who is in charge of coming up with these really horrible mechanics.

End the insanity.

cut the cost of the grinder in half and remove 50 item cap it is simply not needed with the 1/4 yield

this is by far the best investment I did on official pve. I got so much stuff from loot crates and the grinder gave me alot of materials...really worth the cost. not to mention on ragnarok mantises drop electrical prods, which at primitve quality disenchant EACH on 30 crystals 30 electronics 30 ingots and 30 polymer

I like the grinder. It was one of the first things I made on this playthrough and while yes getting all the ingredients early was a chore now I just farm oblisk drops and put the metal loot some dinos give into it and I've probably already gotten back the cost of supplies a while ago. It has helped me not have to grind so much for metal and wood, given me back a decent amount of paste, as well as extra ingredients.

It does have another use, the industrial leveler.....  just get a load of wood, wait for 2x and make sure you have a toilet..  Then start it off processing wood to thatch, run around the room, take a poop on the toilet, run around more, etc.. keep pooping and keep that bonus on..   You'll level up like a rocket.

Also great if you want to quick level a dino, just get a tribe member to sit on it and you shread wood to thatch.   That animal will level up quickly.  This other ability is much more useful than the first as once you hit max level, that's it.   But getting a new dino up and running fast is very useful.

Unofficial PVE server here and we used a combination of the following to create an xp grinding area:

2 x Industrial Forge (to turn metal into ingots, wood into charcoal)

3 x Industrial Grinder (to turn stone into flint)

9 x Chemistry Benches (to turn stone/flint into sparkpowder and sparkpowder + charcoal into gunpowder)

3 x Fabricator (to turn gunpowder/metal into ammo)

2 x Smithy (not used often but for shotgun shells mainly)

6 x Doedicurus (for collectin stone)

2 x Therizinosaurus + 2 x Mammoth (for collectin wood)

With that combination and some "shared xp" we are able to quickly level new tames or breeds ready for boss battles.

The grinder is not just for recycling trash... It is also a great source of XP.

LVL up tribe farming dinos if someone sits on the dino while you initiate the craft.

You will never have to farm flint or thatch ever again after a good plvl session, you wont know what to do with all of it.

It is expensive for a reason.

Or... instead of handing people free mats let's make the industrial grinder do what it actually would do. Anything metal that goes in comes our as ore that needs to be reforged into ingots as anything coming out of that grinder would be so destroyed it would be useless until it was melted down. Anything with wood does not give back wood at all but thatch only for the same reason. Any plastic would come out maybe as obsidian so it would need to be remelted down to make into polymer again.

The point is, this thing is a free ride as it is giving out free mats to people for things they just looted. You make it like you want it and no large tribe would ever gather resources again. 

2 hours ago, Shadex said:

Or... instead of handing people free mats let's make the industrial grinder do what it actually would do. Anything metal that goes in comes our as ore that needs to be reforged into ingots as anything coming out of that grinder would be so destroyed it would be useless until it was melted down. Anything with wood does not give back wood at all but thatch only for the same reason. Any plastic would come out maybe as obsidian so it would need to be remelted down to make into polymer again.

The point is, this thing is a free ride as it is giving out free mats to people for things they just looted. You make it like you want it and no large tribe would ever gather resources again. 

It wouldn't be worth the time it takes to grind for the initial materials if it were like that.

• 7 months later...

Archived