Alpha Raptors Claim Another Victim

Airthrow

So the other day I snagged a 116 direwolf and dragged it back to my base to tame. While waiting, I went online to read more about them and pass the time, and came across a thread about a guy saying they were too squishy, because an alpha came out of nowhere and killed it. The thread laughed, I laughed, the world went on. 

After he was done, I took him out for a spin to test him out before going cave-foraging, which was going to be his purpose in life. It was a grand time. Got him to level 184 and never had a single issue before stopping at my base for the night. Come morning, I took him out for the short jog to the southeast cave by Drayo's Cove (I live beneath the cliffs to the west of the cove) and came across a pack of raptors. 

I make sure the coast is a safe haven, and always slay any predators that wander in so that the herbivores can live in peace (and also because I'm waiting for a 120 doed to spawn there. One day!) Not 2 bites into my attack, I see the dreaded red/orange glow on my screen from behind. Like a trained soldier combat rolling into the trench, I immediately make a 90 degree turn and belt it out of there. Behind me was a 96 alpha raptor who I would swear on a stack of bibles wasn't anywhere to be seen on my travel over.

Never before has there been an alpha in my cove, nor any alpha nearly that high anywhere on my singleplayer game. Not to worry, I can outswim it, alphas are fast, but raptors are slow in water. Well nuts, wolves are slow(er) in water too. Ok, new plan, thread my way through the brontos and other herbivores nearby! Nope, for some reason this alpha wanted me dead and wouldn't stop to attack anything else, even though I'd not yet attacked it. 

I had to watch with despair as my stamina ran out, and the alpha tore my wolf apart, and me shortly after. I take the loss of any animal very sadly, and this was especially sad since I'd not yet had him for 24 hours, nor named him (animals earn their names after a while). I took my rex out after rezzing and beat the stuffing out of the horrid creature, maybe SOMETHING good can come from it!

A small handful of berries and a primitive cloth hat. From a 96 alpha raptor. 

Oh cruel fate, to take away my wolf and turn him into berries. I presume to teach me a lesson for laughing at someone elses misfortune, and then deliver it back in a strangely consistent way. 

I'll remember that forevermore, especially as I still haven't found a new wolf companion over level 50 :)

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

Kinda like the Industrial Grinder. But crappy.

Lol the worst part about that? The alpha ate my corpse, but not the wolf's. It was vastly more depressing to see his bloody corpse lying there on the beach where I spend so much time. Well, no use letting it go to waste, bring out the hatchet!

5 hide and 1 pelt? FML 

10 hours ago, Novarae said:

Only solution I can offer would be to do as many do for their single player games and up the stats given each time you level a dino so that alphas would be a non issue.  However if you are deadest intent on a purist thinking then expect more deaths with alphas sadly.

Ah I'm not too worried about it. I take their loss hard not because of stats, but because they're like trusted virtual friends to me, and when they die, I've failed them. 9/10 times I see the alpha and give it a wide berth unless I can bring in some backup animals or my champion rex, but this was one of those times where it caught me off guard. 

He's up there in digital heaven, howling beside wolf jesus now!

9 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

It sucks how Alphas can be so powerful and become "milestones" in so many people's gameplay experiences, but offer such terrible rewards. I also acquired a primitive cloth hat and berries from a level 104 Alpha Raptor on Official.

No wonder people farm these pieces of crap instead of properly fight them.

Right? I also got to the point where I could fight them properly/farm them about a week before the exp nerf came down. If I'm being honest, they're not worth my time most of the time, I just clear them for fun and/or to protect my lands. The sole exception being alpha rexes, which I want for those skull trophies to festoon my walls.

I've only seen two, and I don't dare bring any of my animals against them. The first I killed by sitting on my quetzal and blasting it with arrows (over 300 and a couple broken crossbows later) I got the skull, some berries, and a journeyman bow. whee!

The second I kited into the water, and it swam with its head beneath the surface for a day and night cycle without drowning so I lured it to the edge of the map to get it to despawn. 

The most profitable was an alpha carno which gave a journeyman crossbow and mastercraft pick, but the vast majority are green/grey items, if not just berries

I lost a newly tamed Direbear, when a Giga popped his head over the treeline suddenly. We also raced for our lives, but only made a short distance before the second chomp killed him and the third chomp demolished me. 

It's baffling how we can miss the massive Giga or bright Alpha Glow until it's right on top of us.  I was devastated by the loss, but it's a necessary evil.  I use a lot of smaller land mounts and cloth gear to keep things interesting....which means more dangerous. Keeps me on my toes....or dead.  Lol. 

I also get attached to my pixels on the screen.  Sorry about your bad fortune. 

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, FireStormRising said:

I lost a newly tamed Direbear, when a Giga popped his head over the treeline suddenly. We also raced for our lives, but only made a short distance before the second chomp killed him and the third chomp demolished me. 

It's baffling how we can miss the massive Giga or bright Alpha Glow until it's right on top of us.  I was devastated by the loss, but it's a necessary evil.  I use a lot of smaller land mounts and cloth gear to keep things interesting....which means more dangerous. Keeps me on my toes....or dead.  Lol. 

Yeah, the Giga hiding (or even disappearing when you are chasing it) in the trees thing is a bit unnerving.

Been playing on the center for a while now, and only use my Qs when I have to, otherwise, I still use Argys for long trips, but use my bears all the time for local and medium range stuff. 

Early on, before I even got the birds(and even when I did), I used the raft and the bear, a lot.   Kinda of wish we disabled the bird saddles on the server; it really keeps things interesting and you have to just plan better. 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Yeah, the Giga hiding (or even disappearing when you are chasing it) in the trees thing is a bit unnerving.

Been playing on the center for a while now, and only use my Qs when I have to, otherwise, I still use Argys for long trips, but use my bears all the time for local and medium range stuff. 

Early on, before I even got the birds(and even when I did), I used the raft and the bear, a lot.   Kinda of wish we disabled the bird saddles on the server; it really keeps things interesting and you have to just plan better. 

That's still the scariest thing in the game. Knowing a giga is in the treeline. But where...

In Soviet Russia, you don't tame giga, giga tames you.

Aye, like you guys I too enjoy playing more "primitive" to make things a bit more dicey. I have flak armor stored away in boxes for when I need to tussle with those fiendish cave monsters, but otherwise hide armor for me. I use birds when I need to get around quick or schlep metal from one outpost to another, but the majority of my time is on the ground with a rex, beaver, doed, carno or bear. 

I think half the fun of the game is playing with downgraded tech because it makes you appreciate everything more. I could have carried the wolf to the cave and built a base around it, but where's the adventure in that? As sad as it is to lose our friends, the hurtful memories add to it a bit. I watch a lot of youtubers play this game and losing an animal is like "well that's X kibble wasted" or they just don't care. I'll never understand that. 

If only they'd add decorative plants so I could put shrubberies next to my graveyard, make it look nicer. I haven't made the wolf's gravestone yet, but at least we have the option to have a physical reminder of them!

58 minutes ago, FireStormRising said:

Thats because gigas are ninjas my friend hehe. Had a tribemate fly through thick forest only to find a giga biting and killing him

Funny I almost lost my rex last night. I was wiped by a tribe on an official and am working my way back up. I kibble tamed a 20 rex and he is still getting his butt whooped by nost brontos lol. 

Last night a 50 ish alpha showed up and I needed the prime. After an intense battle and my heart palpating due to the low health bar it finally died with my rex in the 100's lol. I got a few better things tho, a few apprentice hatchets adn picks and some journeymen stuff too. 

I wouldn't dare fight a alpha carno or rex who doesn't get knock back lol. 

7 minutes ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

Funny I almost lost my rex last night. I was wiped by a tribe on an official and am working my way back up. I kibble tamed a 20 rex and he is still getting his butt whooped by nost brontos lol. 

Last night a 50 ish alpha showed up and I needed the prime. After an intense battle and my heart palpating due to the low health bar it finally died with my rex in the 100's lol. I got a few better things tho, a few apprentice hatchets adn picks and some journeymen stuff too. 

I wouldn't dare fight a alpha carno or rex who doesn't get knock back lol. 

Worrying about Brontos kicking my animals butts, and having to dance around them when their tails were close to a farming node. 

Those were the days!

40 minutes ago, Airthrow said:

Worrying about Brontos kicking my animals butts, and having to dance around them when their tails were close to a farming node. 

Those were the days!

Yea I live in mid jungle on the center right next to the cove cave across from blue ob.

There is literally about 5 or more brontos behind my base at all times. it wasnt an issue when I had my high level rex but after we got everything killed by a giga dragging I needed a fast way to get at-least some meat. Im able to handle low level brontos but anything in the 100s and my rex needs a breather after the fight lol. 

Its kinda funny how life works. i thought I had it good with all my low level tames never using kibble. I had ammased a base I was proud of and a dino army which I was moving along with. After getting wiped it made me a better player and I tamed my first Max level Anky the other night. 

Level 150 perfect kibble tame whiich finished with 98 and ended up with 355 melee lol. 

Next up is a High Level Rex (saved up 99 pulmi eggs) and a low level quetz to get back to farming.

I came back bettter, smarter and soon I will be stronger :)

3 hours ago, FireStormRising said:

I just lost a 100% imprint dire bear the other night to an alpha rex :( 260 bear with insane stats ccouldn't take down a 100 alpha rex, go figure 

Once I realized I wasn't going to kill the sucker I ran away healed up, and it found me. Knocking me back every time I got up to sprint speed and my bear died a slow painful death(10k hp on the bear ..) 

Edit: official servers

What you could do (it worked for me);

I came out of a cave, with my 180+ wolf at....40%ish health and some 50% stamina? Something like that.

I needed to travel half of the Island back to my base so I started to sprint home.

"80+ alpha raptor after me."

ONLY agroed on me, left NPC nearby alone.

Wolf was still on passive.

Of course, his stamina ran out and I knew the wolf in it's current state would never win the fight.

He had some health left, so I jumped off, put the wolf on follow fast and started sprinting on foot, in the meantime the wolf regenerates stamina fast when noone is riding it so after some 5-10s I jumped back on and dashed home. Saved my wolf that day.

On 7/13/2016 at 10:59 PM, FireStormRising said:

If i was you , i would scream " It can camouflage !!"

Archived