Material Costs: Which are done right and done wrong?

LilNastyGurl

So, as this is a pseudo-rpg style game, there is of course a crafting system that takes materials. Some items are easy to craft, some not so much. Some materials are easy to acquire, others are difficult.

In your opinion, which Material is the most fun to acquire? Which one is the least?

What craftables have the best material requirements, and which ones are outright stupid?

Personally I am a fan of the primitive items being able to be made cheaply such as the Torches and Campfires. The fabricated guns however, have a terrible performance to cost ratio, making them really undesirable to use over crossbows and longnecks.

The material I think is the most fun to collect is Thatch, considering how high the stacks can get and how plentiful it is, and my least favorite is a tie between Obsidian and Cementing Paste., mostly due to how much you need to make some things.

I'm mostly doing this thread so I can figure out which parts of the daily grind people like, tolerate, or hate.

While some of the crafting costs are high, i agree, considering how easily mats are obtained these days i dont see any real problem. Cement paste USED to be a bit of a pain, now beaver dams. Even before that though, a couple of hours farming brood and another couple farming stone would net 10's of thousands of paste.

Started fresh on a new official server for lol's, and 2.5 weeks in and i'm back in a 30x20x20 metal base with all the mod cons and breeding areas, behe gated and cannons/p-x's. All (pretty much) solo. Not trying to big-note myself; quite the opposite, i think with the ammt of farming dinos and easy materials added to the game in the last 6 months has made it ludicrously easy. Either way, it's still fun as hell.

TL;DR - I dont think there's anything particularly difficult/grindy in the game right now.

Fur armor makes no sense to me. From wiki:

320 ×Pelt.png Pelt

40 ×Hide.png Hide

18 ×Fiber.png Fiber

106 ×Metal.png Metal

That's almost 300 lbs of stuff sewn up with 18 threads, basically. Makes no sense. And I think that's too much pelt. Granted, getting it is less hazardous now thanks to Beavers, but I feel awful killing them. Regardless, that's a lot of pelt for a set of armor.

Reduce the scale/ magnitude of increase used by higher tier saddles. Why would an asendent tier platforms saddle need 37k metal ingot? It's not any bigger and only provides about 260% increase in protection. No extra benefits at all just take more damage. Total bs and to add insult to injury you can't even craft them because WC in their infinate wisdom has made all of their crafting stations cap out at 75 inventory slots. So instead of increasing the slot count for the smithy/ fabricator we have to wait till tek tier for a replicator/ whatever name for this new tier workbench. Stupid is the word that comes to mind when I think of this known issue.

20 minutes ago, n_scheffel said:

Worst material balance-wise is definitely CP. Dams drop entirely too much and need to be nerfed pretty hard. They should be dropping about as much CP as they do flowers, mushrooms, and pearls. To compensate I would increase the amount of CP gathered by frogs, and decrease the amount of mats required to make CP in a M/P.

My main issue with craftables is the weights of structures. There is simply no way a behemoth gate should weigh 4, while a thatch foundation weighs 6. A player should be required to use a large pack animal to move several large metal structures.

Totally agree - A shield for example that you carry weighs more than the Behemoth Gate or every other building piece !

Personally, I think all platforms on the backs of animals should be based on the weight the animal can carry, not limiting it to X number of items placable, of course most building structures weight will need to be increased so people don't go crazy on mobile base builds...  ;)

What doesn't make sense to me is the amount of extra resources needed to make superior blueprint gear... The amount of resources needed far exceeds your ability to carry it all, so how are you expected to carry the final product made?  Sure there will be some "left over" bits from assembly, but really? 

In all honesty there should be a small increase of resources (to simulate better quality material) required as well as a certain level of crafting skill to be able to make the better quality item.

2 minutes ago, Mendoza said:

Totally agree - A shield for example that you carry weighs more than the Behemoth Gate or every other building piece !

Personally, I think all platforms on the backs of animals should be based on the weight the animal can carry, not limiting it to X number of items placable, of course most building structures weight will need to be increased so people don't go crazy on mobile base builds...  ;)

What doesn't make sense to me is the amount of extra resources needed to make superior blueprint gear... The amount of resources needed far exceeds your ability to carry it all, so how are you expected to carry the final product made?  Sure there will be some "left over" bits from assembly, but really? 

In all honesty there should be a small increase of resources (to simulate better quality material) required as well as a certain level of crafting skill to be able to make the better quality item.

The problem you're having is you're trying to make sense of the nonsensical. Realisms must be sacrificed for gameplay in order to make FUN and COMPETITIVE games. Go a bit deeper and ask, how can i store hundreds of behe gates in a single vault? Or better yet, hundreds of vaults inside another vault.

Without realisms like this being sacrificed, it would be a painfully slow, not enjoyable game to play.

I do agree on the weight/platform saddles though. Sure, limit the height/width you can build (balance would become an issue for the dino at some point...), but weight should be the determining factor.

1 minute ago, T1mz0l said:

The problem you're having is you're trying to make sense of the nonsensical. Realisms must be sacrificed for gameplay in order to make FUN and COMPETITIVE games. Go a bit deeper and ask, how can i store hundreds of behe gates in a single vault? Or better yet, hundreds of vaults inside another vault.

Without realisms like this being sacrificed, it would be a painfully slow, not enjoyable game to play.

I do agree on the weight/platform saddles though. Sure, limit the height/width you can build (balance would become an issue for the dino at some point...), but weight should be the determining factor.

Yeah I totally get that a gate can't fit in a box... and fun should be a priority, but surely some things can change that are both fun and reasonable... most would agree it's not fun to farm ridiculous amounts of metal to make a saddle. Large heavy objects like the behemoth gate should weigh more though, for the sake of consistency! Yeah sure I don't mind shoving the damn thing in the tardis magic box/vault. I see no problem in the need to put a couple more points in my weight or use a dino to assist in moving and placing gates or other building structures. This is a survival game, some things should be heavier than others even if that's not "convenient" - I don't think it'll hurt the fun aspect at all, if anything it'll add to the immersion of the game overall which = fun.

Whats not fun is having to farm stupid amounts of metal just to make something that's better? Yes I understand we don't want everyone to have Master crafted gear or whatever which is why I suggested it should be skill based not so much material based...  I'd also get rid of the mind wipe, so we can't be smithies and saddle makers one day and muscle clad warriors and fast athletes the next day... Our decisions should be permanent whether they are good or bad, survival doesn't have undo buttons so why should we?

For the best crafting requirements, I have to give it up for the Hide armors. I feel it's fair, easy to carry, and flavorful. I like killing titanboas in caves and taking their hides to repair the set I'm wearing. Like feasting on the souls of my enemies!

The worst so far is bullets. Holy lord above, bullets. You need gunpowder and metal, that's fine. But when you turn that simple ammo, it takes...more metal? Simple bullet into shotgun shells, you need 3 simple bullets and then MORE metal to make a shell. Why not chitin, or keratin? The shells look like they arent metal. And for the tranq darts, you need metal and narcotics...why not just narcotics? Take the rifle ammo and dip them in the narcotic like the arrows.

For gathering, the most fun (for me) is berries. I LOVE gathering berries with a stego, because the explosion of plants never fails to amuse me. They're heavy, and pile quickly, but man it's good fun. 

The worst gathering? wood. It's abominably heavy, as heavy as stone! The beavers make it MUCH easier, but theyve received a ninja nerf to their gathering, which is warranted, but makes me worry they'll get a nerf to their carry capacity as well. Considering how much wood you need, and how easy it is to over encumber when getting it, it's a drag

Crystal was a pain to farm but the recent biome update grouped a lot of them together making this much less of a chore. Though higher quality engrams still take obscene amounts of materials think they should change the scaling bit. Still needs to be expensive for some but as it is right now most aren't worth making especially when it can be so easily lost to a bug. Even with the beaver nerf wood farming is still pretty easy not as tedious as some resources.

Archived