My Offical Server (PC) Alpha Mosa Farming Guide

skatulla

Hello, I don't want to make this too detailed, but since the wiki for this game absolute garbage I'll try and give you guys some tips based on my experience when it comes to finding and killing alpha mosas. 

note: this is based on my experience playing Official: The_Island 

Further note: I'm bad at words and stuff and not really smart.

Step 1: Acquire a crack dolphin.

Seriously, my dolphin was tamed at lv 44 and has over 320 MS. I can traverse the island in under 10 minutes. Which is invaluable for scouting mosas.

Step 2: Document GPS coords

On your crack dolphin swim around the map with your GPS out and write down the coords of every regular mosa you find. I personally use notes on my phone.

Step 3: GET TO DA MOSA

After you've compiled a list of all the mosa spawns on your map, get off your crack dolphin and get on your SPINO. Yes I said spino. Why? Well with our fancy coordinates written down you can fly your spino on the back of your quetzal (my quetz is 220% MS) to every location where you documented a mosasaurus. This will cut your travel time in half. Easily.

Step 4: kill the regular mosa

Simple enough. Alpha mosas share the same spawn timer as regular mosas. So you want to kill regular moses to force spawn the alphas. They have a % chance of spawning instead of a regular mosa when the server spawns refresh. If I kill all the mosas in the ocean and wait about 30 mins. You're almost guaranteed to get one to spawn. (last night I got 3 to spawn all in one refresh cycle.

Step 5: GET BACK TO DA CRACK

Get back on your crack baby dolphin after about 30 mins-1hr and scout the map again. If you killed every mosa on the map with your trust spino then an alpha mosa probably spawned during the respawn cycle. Just go back to looking for mosas and documenting their coords. You'll find one eventually.

Step 6: Kill the alpha mosa. DUH.

Holy poop they hurt, with with a few mate boosted plessies or a boss 100+ tame mosa you should be good. The more the merrier when dealing with Alphas. Their aggro is proximity based so if you can 'juggle' the aggro with friends you should never even come close to dying.

P.S. They drop 100 black pearls each. Just make sure you don't harvest the corpse without getting them from the inventory first. Some dinos will not auto-harvest (such as my Spino) but my friends Mosa does.

sounds way too complicated imho,

imho while the event is on, just straight up take a mosa out rightaway, this way you dont risk spotting alpha mosas that despawn by the time you get back,  one round around the Island yielded 4 alpha mosas for me yesterday,

Enduro stews and focal chillys work pretty good aswell, especially since  the healing inbetween mosa fights can take a while (remote using meat for 20 minutes anyone?) and Enduro speeds that up aswell.

If you can make a ton of Sea Mines and lead the mosa into them, it can kill them really quickly.

Takes about 25 to kill a console spawned one, can kill em in about 5 minutes.

You can also try to trick them into going up higher than they're programmed to, making them stuck, but they also have the tendency to shoot into space when you kill them this way.

2 hours ago, Dam Son said:

Can spinos kill alpha mosas? What if I have mate boosted ones

Yes, but it's risky. I solo'd a lv 12 with my lv 243 spino. Only had about 10% of my max hp left. Depending on your saddle armor and if you're imprinted/mate boosted, you can probably go up to level 40. Mate boosted plessies or a Mosa is by far the best way to go when killing these guys. Also, the Deep sea drops can give you some really high armor saddles for them.

• 7 months later...

With a 100 armor saddle an 80% imprinted level 400ish spino can kill any alpha mosa without any chance of death. I'm on pvp official, tribe mate does it all the time, and with significant levels in oxygen it's much faster than a mossa. Unfortunately since you can't breed Moses they are level capped fairly lowell and can't get the HUGE imprinting bonus, according to the wiki, which is not wrong on this, a 100% imprinted dino puts out over 2.5 times more damage before dying in a fight.

Archived