Community Crunch 412: Server Transfers, Mods Spotlight, and More!

10 hours ago, Sausagedog85 said:

Unofficial servers never last.. people want longevity, they want to keep their items and not have overbearing power hungry admins breathing down their neck for dumb poop like building in areas they don't want people to build in.

While some unofficial servers/communities are great, most are terrible, and ALL unofficials are likely to go offline long before officials do, leaving you with nothing.

I played unofficial for the first couple of years of my Ark experience, Every single community shut down within a year or less, tried again recently and it happened twice more in less than 3 months.

Sorry to hear that. I've been playing on 2 servers the past years and they're still up.

On 6/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, ArminPlugin said:

*PUSH*

Wnats about Custom Cosmetic System

• Phase 2, launching April 1, will automatically download them in the background when encountered during gameplay. Note: Clients can disable usage of these globally or per-Mod-ID. Servers can disable globally or use a whitelist (we suggest servers use our official whitelist, which will be the default). The cosmetics allowed on official servers will be dynamically-white-listed on a daily basis by Overwolf and Studio Wildcard to avoid any exploity or issue-causing cosmetics.

Where is that?

Just like when they said that hanging rope bridges would be coming to A.S.E. after they first released the RedWoods biome? Hyping us up by saying we'd be able to make Star Wars Ewok villages? Here we are now in A.S.A., and where is that?

Their excuse at the time: "Turns out It's too difficult to code such a thing."

A modder at the time: "Oh really, well here just download my mod where I made it in like 2 seconds."

And just like when they went against their promise to add a desert biome to The Island map and instead made it a separate PAID DLC called Scorched Earth?

Their excuse at the time: "Realistically we can't make a map that's larger than The Island and have it work properly. We decided that there wasn't enough room on The Island to incorporate a desert biome, so we made it a separate map."

A modder at the time: "Oh really, well here just download my mod map called Ragnarök which not only has the promised desert biome included with all the others, but is also as a whole 4x the size of The Island map and it works plenty well enough."

Based on previous history I think we can see where this is going. WC: "Oh, sorry, but we found out that it's too difficult to code and properly integrate such a feature into our game."

A modder after hearing this response: "Oh really, well here just download the mod I made in 2 seconds which does the job you promised to do yourselves."

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This is very disappointing. 😢

You were doing so well there for a 4 time streak. For just a moment, it almost felt like things were going to get back to where they were before April 1st 2023. But I guess it never will. 😢

I do like the more personal style of this CC's writing, and I still very much like how there's actual opening up of information about stuff. But, the way in which this CC was written is also incredibly cringy.

(Making a mean joke about an old map that is extremely beloved by a niche group of the Ark community?)

(Making the effort to put in the statement that you still call Twitter Twitter as if that's something silly or odd?) I got news for you WC, the majority of the Earth's population still calls Twitter Twitter and will likely do so for at least the next couple decades. Many people agree that "X" is a silly name and that "Twitter" is not only way better but also makes way more sense as a name for a social messaging platform. 

Then on top of that you not only go back on your word again, but you blatantly lie to us about why instead of being straight with us and telling us the real reason behind your decisions. The Ark community has proven to you that we can handle bad news so long as you are honest with us about why it's happening. Every time a bad situation happens and you are honest as why, the community largely supports you and accepts it. Every time you blatantly lie to us, we get enraged and leave you. Why can't you understand this?

And then it goes on even further. What, you think it's a good idea to add insult to injury by saying that you'll allow us to vote on how long we want to delay something that you didn't hit the deadline on? Who in the history of video games would ever ask for such a thing? If you can't hit your deadline, then just do like you've done before and move the goalpost further away; inevitably failing to hit that deadline as well and moving it yet again. 

What then, will we get to vote on which maps or premium mods we want to see finished next first? You want us to vote on when the next map should come out, and when it doesn't then how long until the next failed delayed date should be? You want us to do your calendar scheduling job now to? Can't code so you have us do it for you with mods? Can't plan work schedules, even ones you know are going to fail, so you want us to do that now to? Okay, who do I have to get in contact with to take over the CEO's job for them as well? I'll do it for free!

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Hey, I play sp so always have to manage the official rates myself in the settings.

When is says "This weekend, the Official Network will be receiving bonus rates! It will be active until Monday, June 3rd."  does that mean the 2nd at 11:59pm is when it ends or does it run all through the day of the 3rd and then end on midnight?

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 9:13 PM, Sausagedog85 said:

Unofficial servers never last.. people want longevity, they want to keep their items and not have overbearing power hungry admins breathing down their neck for dumb poop like building in areas they don't want people to build in.

While some unofficial servers/communities are great, most are terrible, and ALL unofficials are likely to go offline long before officials do, leaving you with nothing.

I played unofficial for the first couple of years of my Ark experience, Every single community shut down within a year or less, tried again recently and it happened twice more in less than 3 months.

I couldn't have more different experience than you.   There are some stellar unofficials that put officials to shame.   Sure there are few rules you wouldn't see on official, but those rules help keep the game under control and less toxic.   A good admin team will help solve conflicts, deal with cheaters, and keep the community vibrant and healthy.  I've never seen official wildcard admins do anything useful during my thousands of ours playing official PVP.  The game was a toxic mess of cheaters.   Unofficial PVP clusters that are still running to this day long after ASE official PVP died.  Yes they do monthly wipes which is pretty much necessary in PVP which im glad to see finally exists in offical PVP ASA.  Tell me what is the point of non-wiping official servers where every alpha tribes cheats and dominates?

Now lets talk about PVE.  Official PVE has NEVER had a point.  Players spam the maps and the admins do absolutely nothing, all PVE official servers end up being a laggy wasteland of massive bases and spam and no actual active player base.  A good unofficial cluster, again there is atleast a couple great ones that have been around for many years with players who have kept their bases and tames this entire time, and still have active many daily players. The admin team will reign in the players a bit with reasonable limits on base size and rules about spamming areas etc.  Not to mention the benefit of organized events, a vibrant economy of trading and cooperation.  Officials just can't compare.

I've never met a single person that has experienced a good unofficial cluster and said official is better.  I'm sorry your experience with unofficial has been worse than official, but I just hope that anyone reading your comment will then read mine and realize, your experience does not speak for all of us.

Edited by Hixbot
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...