If your gonna play, don't play "The Center"

Lemings

I have played a great deal with friends on the map titled "The Center", and finally getting to a point where other players who enjoy griefing other players are fended off Ark is a bullpoop game. Spend 2+ hours using narcotics and taming a bird or dinosaur just for a duration later the dinosaur or bird just disappears. Gone. unreclaimable. Unrescuable, terminated. no message of anything having killed it until like a month later you might get a message "dino/bird was killed". And it would had died of hunger.

Now you get a lv300+ dino/bird. Set on aggressive. you have it in a walled area so it only kills in that area. NOPE. It will attack anything in range and as soon as there's no one in the area for the objects to be there. it's FREE. then it's just a matter of time you'll get back on the game and your log will show it died. And it will have died far away from where you left it.

If your going to play Ark, don't play on "the center" or wait until maybe a year or so later. Ark is awesome with at least a x4 taming time and i'd say x2 or x3 resource gathering with some enhanced stats like at least a buff to your weight stat. The game can be awesome. Even if you lose a dino/bird to the game itself because you can just go get another one.

Mind you, this is just problems with the game itself. imagine having to lose dino's and your stuff to other players. you could spend months on a server and not know if it has these problems because of other players (very depending on the situation of the server).

The same things happen on the other maps. Both instances you describe are most definitely as Kraken said, your tames are still out there. Put an APB out on chat, fly around. I know the game can glitch, I have lost a couple that way but until it says its dead, I keep looking. We keep one large dino on neutral in a pen, its done its job in protecting the others.

Like mentioned above its likely your bird attacked a ptera to the top of the map and is just sitting there.

Birds are best put in a cage and on passive so they dont fly away chasing people, as people will do this on purpose.

Also if you must put on aggressive and dont want them to move overload them with stone. They will still attack but not be able to move, can be good or bad.

When looking for lost dinos it is best to spam the " All follow me" hot key while flying around as it works like an aoe and doesnot have to be aimed at a particular dino to work.

I don't think he said he left a bird on aggressive, think he was just speaking in general of leaving something on aggressive in a yard and having the walls go into stasis letting it out if it sees a target...

That said... griefers + this map + flier carry is is a quick way to lose all your carry-able tames since they can just drop them over the falls and there's no death message at all. It just deletes things when they hit the void down there. Should have put a big lake of lava or something instead to kill things, maybe hid an island or two for crafty people to hide on as well :P  

first of all, let me clarify that i had spoken in general terms. i never said anything about having set an argent to aggressive and the most useful comment so far is DinoMinions mentioning to put a tracker on the dino/bird. None of you give attention to the situation and did any of you even read MY post at the very top? like seriously, i made no mention of any specific dino's/birds. and your all telling me about "what you set an argent on aggressive??"

i hope this clears things up, it would be kinda silly to have an argent on aggressive unless maybe inside a HUGE structure it wouldn't have anything to kill in anyway because of foundations blocking dino spawns, but if you had no one in the area, if could fly out. But consider all that work and nonsense to keep a bird on aggressive? i'm talking more specifically about dino's such as a rex, sarco, megaladon, pleasy, Dilo, and other such land/water dino's. Now reread my initial post i started this thread with and this time please use your brain, it's a muscle and it must be flexed from time to time.

17 minutes ago, Lemings said:

first of all, let me clarify that i had spoken in general terms. i never said anything about having set an argent to aggressive

No, but you said you had a "bird" set to aggressive.  " Now you get a lv300+ dino/BIRD.   Set on AGGRESSIVE. you have it in a walled area so it only kills in that area."   Pardon us for reaching a conclusion based on your own words.  You need to be more precise when you make a post and not say things that you didn't do.

He said a dino/bird, as in hypothetically.

I wouldn't put any dinos on aggressive, just my tip. All of ours are on passive. We have a lot of turrets and plants to protect them, so no dinos wander off.

"Well what happens if we're offline and someone raids me and my dinos are on passive?" 

Good thing you asked. Well if your offline, and a tribe is raiding you, you will be wiped regardless of dinos stance. Also remains the same if they make it into your dino pen. If you do not have one, please do not post until you do have one as I don't know what your doing with your ark life.

The Center is very glitchy. It doesn't seem all that stable just yet. I don't recall having this many issues on the Island (or perhaps I just never noticed it).

Ark constantly crashes/disconnects when flying around, I'm constantly falling through the ground, manta/shark spawns are absolutely ridiculous, pillars/foundations don't seem to work too well when trying to place them down/snap them together (constant "obstructed" or "lack of foundation support" issues), flyers end up missing after a crash or disconnect; it's a headache.

I was once flying around the floating island on a quetz and my game crashed when I flew underneath the island. I log back in to find myself in the water underneath the floating island, being attacked by a swarm of manta's. I respawn at my base and fly an argy back there to grab my quetz; it's gone. My tribe and I, all together, spent hours over multiple days looking for this bird. We checked the swamp area, we flew to the sky barrier up top, we flew beneath the floating island, everywhere. Two weeks later, the floating island gives birth to my quetzal and I find it partially lodged in the rock underneath.

The Center is an absolutely beautiful map but it's equally as broken.

1 hour ago, Irk said:

Ark constantly crashes/disconnects when flying around, I'm constantly falling through the ground, manta/shark spawns are absolutely ridiculous, pillars/foundations don't seem to work too well when trying to place them down/snap them together (constant "obstructed" or "lack of foundation support" issues), flyers end up missing after a crash or disconnect; it's a headache.

I haven't had any crashing problems at all on The Center, but the spawns? OMG. On my private server I had to reduce the dino count multiplier by a significant margin. Spawn weights don't really help in a massive overpopulation situation. The waters were just jammed with mantas, sharks, and don't even get me started on those salmon and piranha in the rivers. I started taking it down to 0.6 but that brought the land-based spawns down too much so now I'm at 0.75 and it seems manageable. 

Now that I think about it, I wonder if my lack of crashes is due to having 25% fewer dinos. I made the change pretty soon after playing The Center for the first time.

37 minutes ago, Mystalias said:

Hmm... I can't get DinoCountMultiplier to actually work, it seems to just keep climbing no matter what on all maps I've tried it on. I set it to 0.10 and still get 20-30k before I have to destroywilddinos again due to the memory use getting too high that the game starts relying too much on the swap file...

Strange. In gameusersettings.ini, placing 

DinoCountMultiplier=.6

under server settings gave me about 18k dinos, IIRC. (I'm certain you have it in the right place - that's more for the benefit of anyone who comes along later.) Running it at .75 keeps it in the low 20s. I'm on a hosted server, but that shouldn't make a difference when it comes to ini changes "sticking". 

I do have to log off for about 10-15 minutes after DestroyWildDinos to let the server do it's thing. It's a huge resource suck to repopulate, especially since the Center population seems quite a bit higher than the Island. Reducing the server framerate to 10 before running that command helps, too.

Stark in the other thread told me where to put it and what the map caps were, but watching the npc counts they just keep climbing past the numbers he suggested (25k island/40k center) it should stop at.  Looking at the file, it seems to have accepted it because it converts it to a long decimal (From 0.1 to 0.100000) like the other settings.  I wish we could just set a 'WildMaxDinos' with a specific number that it wouldn't exceed...

(I'm testing in single player, but it's using the same exact server that multiplayer uses, makes it much easier to isolate what is causing bugs this way)

Archived