giganotosaurus Gigas Useless?

bo0MXxXsplatter

Am I just stupid for thinking this or are Gigas one of the most useless yet over-the-top dinos in the game? I mean not only are the OP in the wild and fairly hard to tame (incredibly hard to knock out) but by the time you tame it they have stats compared to a decent war Rex! Plus having all that health doesn't even matter if they rage before half of it's health can even empty! Plus on top of that most of its stats are atrocious, speed is only good because of its stride, stamina is literally the worst, and it can't swim for jack. None of its stats can be upgraded much at all so a 150 giga perfect tame is basically as good as a level 1 giga that someone trapped, shot with arrows, and tamed with meat and a lot or narcoberries. On top of all that the Giga is going to get nerfed, (or already has on PC) and make it even more useless! The only point I see in it is the appearance of strength and the ability to destroy stone buildings.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bo0MXxXsplatter said:

Am I just stupid for thinking this or are Gigas one of the most useless yet over-the-top dinos in the game? I mean not only are the OP in the wild and fairly hard to tame (incredibly hard to knock out) but by the time you tame it they have stats compared to a decent war Rex! Plus having all that health doesn't even matter if they rage before half of it can even! Plus on top of that most of its stats are atrocious, speed is only good because if it's stride, stamina is literally the worst, and it cant swim for jack. None of its stats can be upgraded much at all so a 150 giga perfect tame is basically as good as a level 1 giga that someone trapped, shot with arrows, and tamed with meat and a lot or narcoberries. On top of all that the Giga is going to get nerfed, (or already has on PC) and make it even more useless! The only point I see in it is the appearance of strength and the ability to destroy stone buildings.

Exactly what their for.

On 6/22/2016 at 5:52 PM, JetSetz aka cryptonite89 said:

The Giga nerf is a good thing. Really, how can you guys compare a giga to a Rex/Spino... O.o I'm assuming you think it's by riding it and chomping at things which would make the giga strong. It is the incorrect way of USING it.

To play a Giga to its strength, you need to purposely make it enraged, gaining more out of it. In a PvP situation for example, you SHOULDN'T be riding it in combat, instead; it should be "unleashed".

Have the Giga on follow, then use the radial skills (by holding T) such as:

"Whistle Passive" so that it ignores everything and follows you, 

or "Attack my target" so it goes after who you fight.

Additionally, i've keybinded my "Attack THIS target" to Q, so that everytime I look at something and press Q, it'll try to kill that target specifically. (works with spyglass). I personally prefer this command as I can attack something else with the dino i'm riding while my giga (or any other of my dino in the area) will attack the specified target.

By doing this, the Giga will be sent off to the enemy's side to cause chaos and if the Giga enrages then it's even more devastating (on their side, and not harmful to you at all or your friendlies).

While the Giga is busy doing it's own thing, you can do other stuff to back it up or use it as a diversion.

Having an opposite gender together for the "Mating Buff" is also a good plus.

Using Beer and other consumables are great on it too since you won't be riding it.

The Giga is truly a devastating force in this case (when used correctly) against people who don't know what they're doing such as simply riding their Giga and chomping things manually.

I hope this clarifies a lot and maybe even taught a new thing or two about the Giga.

I adore my Gigas, and this nerf addresses such overpowering strength. But it's still strong due to its rage. I love it!

Keep up the great work Wild Card! And can't wait for the Titanosaur patch (and Tek tier soon)...

:D

Quoting myself from another post about the same matter.

11 hours ago, Tenebray said:

I'm just wondering why Gigas were the ultimate Dinosaurs with a huge amount of damage and extremely hard to tame and now they getting more and more "normal" carnivores but with the same efforts in breeding?

Balancing.

And they are not the newest thing on the Island anymore.

Eventually they just turn into another unused egg laying machine parked behind some wall.

I keep hearing this rex has higher dps then giga recently and I find this hard to believe.

Alas I am on xbox and our gigas havent been nerfed yet.So I cant get any numbers off that but using the training dummy I did take my 280 rex with 472 meelee damage and came up with 2,040 Dps.

If anyone on pc would be so kind as to test out there giga I would love to put this rumor to rest.

On ‎28‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 2:58 AM, JetSetz aka cryptonite89 said:

Quoting myself from another post about the same matter.

100% agree - this is how i will use my Giga. I think after the nerf, the Giga is in a great spot - Balance whise. It´s still on the Top of the Food Chain BUT you could consider bringing your Rex and maybe soon your Spino :) i think its a good Thing for diversity.

1 hour ago, Shayne1973 said:

I keep hearing this rex has higher dps then giga recently and I find this hard to believe.

Alas I am on xbox and our gigas havent been nerfed yet.So I cant get any numbers off that but using the training dummy I did take my 280 rex with 472 meelee damage and came up with 2,040 Dps.

If anyone on pc would be so kind as to test out there giga I would love to put this rumor to rest.

Assuming xbox matches PC then ignore the training dummy as it's completely wrong for every single animal, the only accurate numbers I've seen it produce are for hand held weapons/guns.

You're Rex has a base damage of 60 and attacks once per second, with 472% melee that's 283.2 dps.  I don't have the numbers for the giga though.

I suspect the numbers we see on the dummy may relate to the gathering bonus rather than flat damage, but I have no idea how to test that.

In the training dummy thread, they figured out it's using the cave damage multiplier or something (6x normal) so divide everything by 6 for pretty close to real dps.

Thing about giga though is that as it gets mad it does more damage. After the change, it has 600 base damage with a large aoe radius and armor pierce/bleed effects. (Used to be the only creature to damage a curled up doed)  

Rex has a base damage of 60, so a hyped up all attack rex can match maybe a low level giga that hasn't been leveled yet, before rage... But any giga with more than 75% attack will do more damage... and even more if you can manage the rage.

I haven't had a chance to test the new speed reduction, but I was rather comfortable just walking around at normal speed on one, so a little lower speed probably won't effect me much.

Do I consider them useless now? Definitely not. Still the best meat gatherer and alpha killer on the island. Though I'd probably not be swimming one to herby island anymore (at least, not while riding it...following a flier would probably be fine still...) if that speed got slowed down as well. It used to make it there with about 1/3rd to 1/4th of it's stamina remaining, if nothing wanted to fight on the way. Even with the boost, I'm betting it could get close now and then...

Let me help clarify some things.

We have 19 Gigas tamed and breed ranging from 20% dmg to 210% dmg.

A low level Giga with no points in DMG will end up with 20%dmg and that is weak. A good Rex will do more dmg. Gigas like this are not fun to use after the most recent patch.

But a high level Giga will have significantly more dmg, so the Level of the Giga you are taming is extremely important. The higher the better because you will receive more melee dmg (the rest of the stats dont matter at all). And this will make a huge difference.

A high dmg giga (>200%) is easily more powerful than any rex you could imagine. This is also due to the fact that the Giga has a much much larger Aoe effect on Bite and causes the Target to bleed too.

If you have a good Giga (100%+) it totaly makes sense to use it for meat gathering and such. No Rex will be even close to a high level giga ...

I'm sorry sal but you are terribly misinformed.

I wouldn't mind challenging your best tamed rex against a low level Giga (20% dmg thing) on my side.

I would most certainly win still.

I remove the saddle from the Giga in combat (automatically kicks me off too). Use radial skills to send it towards you.

Then fire a rocket into it, which will enrage the Giga. Or simply let you rage it, whichever works. (But normally i'd be doing the first option).

Read up on a post i've made earlier in this thread if you haven't, hopefully it'll explain more about the Giga to you. RARELY should you ride the Giga in combat and manually  munch on stuff, but against a player that knows his stuff, it'll not end well.

If I notice a Giga player NOT on his Giga, and specially if it doesn't have a saddle on... I know it'll be a challenging "problem" for me.

1 minute ago, JetSetz aka cryptonite89 said:

I'm sorry sal but you are terribly misinformed.

I wouldn't mind challenging your best tamed rex against a low level Giga (20% dmg thing) on my side.

I remove the saddle from the Giga in combat (automatically kicks me off too). Use radial skills to send it towards you.

Then fire a rocket into it, which will enrage the Giga. Or simply let you rage it, whichever works. (But normally i'd be doing the first option).

Read up on a post i've made earlier in this thread if you haven't, hopefully it'll explain more about the Giga to you. RARELY should you ride the Giga in combat and manually  munch on stuff, but against a player that knows his stuff, it'll not end well.

If I notice a Giga player NOT on his Giga, and specially if it doesn't have a saddle on... I know it'll be a challenging "problem" for me.

Please re-read what i just wrote ....

I will quote myself for your convenience "A low level Giga with no points in DMG will end up with 20%dmg and that is weak. A good Rex will do more dmg." So in fact your just a terrible reader....

Also one rocket will not rage a giga .... sry to burst your bubble there especially not with non standard saddle, our best is at 87 armor, that will not even enrage on a 200% dmg acendant rocket launcher (but that will enrage a giga with std saddle, i tested it myself =).

One Giga is not much of a threat nowdays. Since the not-turrets-on-quetz nerf you cannot guard your giga riders. But sending it in by "whistling" will most likely just kill it vs. a skilled opponent. Battle Quetz are still overpowered, you now just need manpower to man those turrets. Gigas are basically expensive tanks nowdays since stone eating is useless, it just takes forever to eat what one singe rocket will do ....

Just now, sal said:

he was looking for information and the amount of misinformation in this thread is just too much to handle =).

And yes the amount of gigas i own and tamed might be interresting when it comes to Giga knowledge ....

But there was no need to state how many you had lol, I stick to around 3, a breeding pair and my original tame. I sell off when I catch bigger/better :)

you're right about the damage though

Just now, DeanSlater said:

But there was no need to state how many you had lol, I stick to around 3, a breeding pair and my original tame. I sell off when I catch bigger/better :)

you're right about the damage though

well i dont mean to show off i just like collecting gigas until we have all them colors ^^

But there is no logical reason to have 10+ =)

Quite ironic, that I need to explain and confirm it to you twice about the  "A low level Giga with no points in DMG will end up with 20%dmg and that is weak. A good Rex will do more dmg."

I'll write it in bold so you can perhaps "understand" instead of simply reading.

Oh and about the rocket enrage where you mentioned saddle. I told you I REMOVE the saddle.

PS: this video demonstrates a lvl224 Giga compared to your "low level" one, using a standard primitive launcher.

There is simply no saddle on. It will ALWAYS rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW_-YNPKtEI

Now if that didn't educate you, well maybe one day you'll encounter a real Giga user rather than someone who breeds dozens, claiming to be a "pro" giga player without understanding it.

Archived