ARK: Primal Survival Discussion

FlyinJapman4

8 hours ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

Argies...don't swim. They aren't ducks or Pelanagornis...If played by a player, then the mechanic where you fall off into the water wouldn't be factored in anymore...because you aren't riding them...

Right they dont, im saying they would flail around instead of just hitting the water as if hitting a solid wall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk of a progression system has me worried it'll become a thing. I for one hope not. I don't want to be forced to start as a dodo/jerboa, but by the same token I understand not wanting to have people hop right into Giga hell. If there is a progression system, I hope there's a pool of "starter" dinos that you can pick from, and "tiers" that you unlock from there so that there's a higher chance of there being a dino you don't mind playing in the mix. Being forced to play a dino you don't really like would just feel like a massive, unfun grind.

That aside, I really want to play as a Pachy, Kapro, Allo, or Theri.

• 1 month later...

Im personally hopping for some sort of unlocking system where you gain points on the weaker dinos before you can be a stronger one, i think maybe parasaur or phiomia might be a good starter one because honestly everything eats dodos. I hope that you're parents will raise you and feed you so you dont die until you can do things on your own as maybe a juvenile or adolescent 

I'm looking forward to this. I'm intrigued to find out how they make each dino appealing so that "Giga hell" doesn't come about. Any sort of progression system, whilst good in the short term, will by nature head that way though. Gaining access to the next tier will always be seen as promotion by most of the player base when it really shouldn't.

I play World of Tanks and the majority of players see the "goal" of the game as getting tier ten monster tanks asap when, in reality, there is no goal. Unlocking a new tier is supposed to provide you with an option rather than a promotion. Plus, any experienced player who enjoys playing in the lower tiers is looked at as a noob basher and stat padder. I just hope this doesn't descend into that mindset. I'm quietly confident it won't though. The current game could easily have gone that way but hasn't. Yes, we all want Giga's and Rexes but it isn't the aim of the game for most of us. There needs to be systems in place that means it's not obligatory to go bigger or start as big as possible.

I'm hoping there's a pack hierarchy system in place. Wouldn't it be awesome to start as the whipping boy of the Raptor pack and over time, through stat levelling or combat, take over as the alpha and have the pack under your control? 

Finally, I hope that there's no outward distinction between player controlled and NPC dino's other than behaviour. It'd be interesting trying to blend in with the rest of the herd/pack and choosing the right moment to either strike or run.

2 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

I plan on playing around as a few different ones. Definitely will play as a wolf, possibly also as an Allo and a Bronto. I have no desire to play as a Giga.

Id love to play as smaller ones, like compy, archa, dimorphodon etc.

Seeing the point of view from different sizes would be awesome

I wonder how we'll go about recruiting other wild dinos to our pack when playing as pack animals.

Also wondering if the no tame server experiment has something to do with primal survival... Maybe instead of taming dinos, you'll have to recruit player dinos to your tribe... or maybe you won't be able to do that at all... Or maybe there will be multiple server options... I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

If it's not out by July, I'm uninstalling this game. I'm reaching the limits of my patience with it. The only fun I have it trying out the new creatures that is added every update, but beyond that there is nothing to do anymore. Build a house, build a smithy so you can make all of the saddles, tame a Giga, Mosa, Quetz, and Bronto. Now what? I wish they were more open with its development since there is a good chunk of the community who is looking forward to this game mode.

• 2 months later...

It has been brought to my attention by another member of the community, who directed me to a link that; http://massivelyop.com/2017/06/06/developers-confirm-that-primal-survival-development-has-ceased-for-ark-survival-evolved/ ; had a link to this screenshot. In turn, I took a screenshot of it. Basically this is stating that Primal is SUSPENDED  from development. It MIGHT  be back on the smithy after the game launches. Speculation around town is that it won't be finished...thus killing my only reason for holding on this long. When the final nail is hammered in, I will uninstall my game to make room for something else.

PS News 18JUNE2017.PNG

37 minutes ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

It has been brought to my attention by another member of the community, who directed me to a link that; http://massivelyop.com/2017/06/06/developers-confirm-that-primal-survival-development-has-ceased-for-ark-survival-evolved/ ; had a link to this screenshot. In turn, I took a screenshot of it. Basically this is stating that Primal is SUSPENDED  from development. It MIGHT  be back on the smithy after the game launches. Speculation around town is that it won't be finished...thus killing my only reason for holding on this long. When the final nail is hammered in, I will uninstall my game to make room for something else.

PS News 18JUNE2017.PNG

:Jerbcry:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WildCard has done a great job with the game in general, but it's this one thing that has given them naughty points. Since the first late ETA, people have asked about Primal, and they said there would be and update to later that year. Then that point came around, and they said that it was delayed to early next year and there would be some information on the development a little later on. Later on comes around, and nothing was said about it. Then the ETA comes around, and nothing happens. They say nothing about it. We, the community, had to scour the internet and the many unofficial posting sites that WC uses to find out anything about this.

I'm waiting for them to be respectful to the portion of the community that greatly desires this game mode and announce whether or not it will be worked on or if it will be dropped. And yeah, a lot of people who wanted this game mode will probably leave for a period of time. Including myself. I played Rag for an hour, got bored, and uninstalled the game whole. Again. I don't plan on reinstalling it until we get closure on this matter. I want this game to succeed but when the developers are dishonest to a part of the community, it is hard to support it in full.

Archived