ARK: Primal Survival Discussion

FlyinJapman4

As far as I can see, no one has started a topic on ARK: Primal Survival conversion that is to come out in the (hopefully) near future. I would like to make this thread as a place to talk about the possibilities, wants and don't wants, etc.

I'll start with the question on the initial starting point when a Survival session is launched. At what age would a player start on when playing as a creature? I have raised two Raptors from hatchlings to adults, and with the way that is, starting out as a baby anything seems like it would be a difficult way to start. Would you be starting off as a defenseless baby who has low HP, no food and no way to hunt or defend yourself or would you be born into a AI family where the parents will feed you? (Via inventory access, like tamed creatures.) Would you be start as an Adolescent who can hunt and feed normally?  Would there be an option to spawn into the recently laid egg of a player's creature or that player's own egg?

I understand that this mode is still in the beta, but I'm just raising general questions.

Update: I have learned that November is the current ETA of this game mode.

Capture.PNG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

Would there be an option to spawn into the recently laid egg of a player's creature or that player's own egg?

That would be a BAD ASS surprise for someone LOL

you hatch and start talking to them... hahahaha...

wait... then they put a saddle on you and enslave you to do their bidding.... wait.... this might not be a good idea... I've seen how some people talk to their dinos....

I would expect them to turn the commo-rose whistling into a vocalization for each species. "Communicate and coordinate" was a tagline for the Raptors, right?

I think that egg part should be an option, but it'd have to be something you chose and not just where you randomly spawn since it was the most convenient point.

Frankly I'm just hoping that we get a good array of creatures to play on release. So far we've got spiders, ants, direwolves, direbears, raptors, argents, and gigas. Of those, I'm only really interested in Argents, and maybe raptors. I'd love to play as a Trike, Procop, or Pachy, and of course there's the neverending clamor for Dodo life.

Something curious, though, is how playing as a Giga will work with their whole going berserk thing. Will PC characters just reap all the buffs of it without any drawback (there was talk of "asymmetric game modes"), or will you actually lose control of your character for a bit and attack everything in sight?

Yes, the Giga, and now Titanosaur, will definitely be a game breaker for PVP servers. I assume the admin for the session will be allowed to block certain dinosaurs on their servers. Which would be both balancing and unfair in certain case. Perhaps player Gigas/Titanosaurs will have reduced stats compared to wild ones. Either way, it's something to think about and something the team will work out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

The most recent questions (that I posted twice in the Q & A, mind you) have been answered. Many thanks to the few who did up vote my post, and shame on those who view this post and read my questions, and did not.  I will be working on my next set of questions, using the same methods to bring attention to them.

prS.PNG

• 2 months later...

What would be a cool idea, is if as a dino if you were invited into a human tribe they could outfit your dino with gear, armor, weapons etc. For example if you were a giga they could give a giga lazer helmet, or as a bronto or titan they would outfit you with a platform saddle and build on you. Maybe youd even get a buff like with imprinting.

• 1 month later...

It's been said that both Humans and Dinos can be played on PS conversions.

Since no word on Primal has been said by the devs yet, I assume they are pulling a Scorched Earth, and trying to slip it in with the double-update. Then try to be all "surprise!" with it like with the DLC. The one thing that I fear is that it will drop for PC first, and then after a month or so of scrubbing out bugs, it will drop for Xbox. But I'm keeping GP's words to heart and expecting it to be dropped for both platforms.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

PC and Xbox both have Nov. 23rd update ETAs. If GamerPerfection is correct, expect Primal to release on that date.

Update 11/11/16 @ 2213: The date for Xbox changed.

PrS2.PNG

They said on the charity live stream that Primal Survival is still in development.

So I would not expect it in November, I would personally expect it early next year.

Archived