Community Crunch 53 and ARK Digest 35!

Jatheish

2 minutes ago, Hexadecimal said:

Here is a good tip for you stop living your life as though you are always owed validation for everything you do, it is earned. The reality of life is that not everyone is a winner and if you choose to continue on thinking that everyone is a winner, you might not want to step out into the real world where people are hired and fired based on performance. The thought that you should get a pat on the back for everything done is a sign you have a lot more issues than you are probably aware of. Not trying to be rude, but children want people to tell them "Good Job! You get a star!", and I would like to think that people are capable of handling failures and criticisms.

You know very well that is not what I meant nor have I said anything about needing validation or a pat on the back. I meant the devs aren't giving a clear idea as to what they are after and the winners of the comps seem chosen almost at random.

1 minute ago, This Little Monster said:

You know very well that is not what I meant nor have I said anything about needing validation or a pat on the back. I meant the devs aren't giving a clear idea as to what they are after and the winners of the comps seem chosen almost at random.

You said that people are getting mad about not being noticed for the work that they do, that is what validation is. Any contest that is based on an "art" type of criteria, as previously noted by another poster, is ultimately based on subjectivity and will be judge subjectively. If you want to be noticed for the work you put in then try again and hope for the best. It comes down to two choices, you can talk about it or you can be about it, and talking about it isn't getting you anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Hexadecimal said:

You said that people are getting mad about not being noticed for the work that they do, that is what validation is. Any contest that is based on an "art" type of criteria, as previously noted by another poster, is ultimately based on subjectivity and will be judge subjectively. If you want to be noticed for the work you put in then try again and hope for the best. It comes down to two choices, you can talk about it or you can be about it, and talking about it isn't getting you anywhere.

Ok, thanks! will do, going to start drawing up the dossier for  the maiasaura shortly. :P

Edited by This Little Monster
Smilies for everyone.

4 minutes ago, This Little Monster said:

Ok, thanks! will do, going to start drawing up the dossier for  the maiasaura shortly. :P

And that is the attitude you should take, good work is good work and if you can only pick 3 out of 40 it gets hard to choose. If I didn't win a contest I felt I should've won, I would take it in stride because I look like a bigger loser crying about it. I look forward to what you come up with and how it turns out overall, just be positive and move forward to get what you want, take your losses and use them as fuel for the next attempt.

Edit: The Maiasaura is a good choice too, I am quite fond of it.

Edited by Hexadecimal

• Wildcard Staff
10 hours ago, Wolf Angelus said:

Thanks. I keep a weekly watch on these contests, and so many times I do not agree with their choices at all (and I would consider myself a very tough critic that is extremely hard to impress).

I would accept that if the description outline clearly mentioned something about repeat winning, I thought about that point briefly but 2 of those 3 entries were by builders who won 1st/2nd last week already. I take my art based contests very serious with what I create (I used to win art contests all the way back to when I was young out of thousands of entries, not just 5-10 like here) so visually stunning designs is a major passion and I take a large amount of pride in what I produce in a manner that is visually stunning, teaches new ideas, shows off the capability of different mods (especially since there seems to be no real building focus, always just dino), and above all else - everything is always functional in terms of usability for living. I feel like they don't take their scoring serious or their builder customer base, just the dino aspect.

I looked over everything very closely and I just can't help but feel it is an insult against my work when compared to everything presented, it is rather hurtful. I stand strongly by for what I believe in and it just doesn't add up (there is 1 build I have done at some point I didn't agree should have been 1st, I won't say which). It is more about the status rather than the $100 difference. If we put the money aside completely, then what is the outcome? I won't mention any direct opinions of what I thought about the other builds, but the scores for creativity, functionality, fun, etc just wouldn't add up with proper judgement.

I shall be retiring from any further creations or supporting/promoting this game for the time being as this is hurtful and killed my passion. Clearly my design talent isn't as appreciated as I thought. I was actually disappointed the previous time I entered by the lack of any comment on the bioshock creation given the amount of time, detail and creativity behind it. It feels like there is no enthusiasm from the company behind these contests, just purely for promotion and marketing.

Please remember art is very subjective, what one person thinks/feels is not the same as another person.

I hate coffee. My best friend loves it. ;)

I love beavers, jen loves parasaurs (pro tip, if jen is judging, make sure you sneak a parasaur into the shot).

I would just say keep competing and enjoy yourself, ark is a game, the idea is to have fun. :)

Good luck to you and your future entries should you compete again!

Stark

Congratulations to Monkeypuzzle, Nicksen, Valoule, and nakedzombo for their winning entries.  All were unique and extremely well done, each in their own way.

And that's really what it's all about isn't it?  As ARKS environment is so open ended it allows people to express themselves in completely different (and often hilarious) ways.

I imagine it can be pretty challenging to subjectively compare a giant carnivorous plant build (which had to be difficult) with a Redwood sky bridge/fortification, or a construction that impresses because of it's size and complexity compared to one designed to blend into it's environment.  Each having it's own individual focus, each appealing to a completely different aesthetic.  

Personally I'm not much of a builder, which I freely admit.  Once I put together the area that I actually need for my equipment my brain usually moves on to other matters, so my builds tend to be very small (yet hopefully contain a hint of cool factor).

But I do produce a fair amount of videos, and one factor remains the same between building and movie making.  Quite often the videos that I put the most work into, and that please me the most on a personal level, end up having the least positive response from those who view it.  Likewise some of the most popular videos on my channel are the ones I consider to be real stinkers.  xD

It's all subjective, and it's often difficult to predict what others will find most appealing.  What actually works best on all levels is not to even worry about that, instead focus on making what you feel you're good at.  If you're enjoying what you are creating, and feel good about it, it comes across to others through your creations.

Winning a prize is just icing on the cake.  What's really valuable is learning lessons from how people react to what you do, as criticism or even indifference is often the most helpful in pointing out where something could have been done even better... and ultimately your creations end up being even more satisfying on a personal level because of it. 

13 minutes ago, Nuke2099 said:

Won't those Monster Hunter dossiers cause copyright problems? I know they won't be added to the game and are fan made but they basically took what's Capcoms (art etc) and said here's a dossier.

Nuke, I don't think there is really an issue as nobody is making any money from them.  There is also some leeway in copyright law for using something in a very subjective or unique manner for illustrative purposes... but that can get very complicated.  In this case, I don't think  Capcom would really care enough to go to the trouble of making an issue out of it.

28 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Nuke, I don't think there is really an issue as nobody is making any money from them.  There is also some leeway in copyright law for using something in a very subjective or unique manner for illustrative purposes... but that can get very complicated.  In this case, I don't think  Capcom would really care enough to go to the trouble of making an issue out of it.

I was just wondering is all.

Thank you @Jat and @Stark for your replies and @Casanova for the supportive comment. Very much appreciated and really raised me out of the void I was feeling. The comment on having fans at the studio is really encouraging so I want to build for them :3 I would feel bad to dissapoint or stop providing enjoyment to them.

It is nice to actually see insight into the judging as it has never been shown before to the community, and I think if you revealed the judging more openly across your contests it would be appreciated by a lot of the community (just thinking about all the thoughts and comments of your recent mod contest). This is an important breakthrough I think for many. While there is no obligation, it goes an extremely far way in the customer service department! I hope you will consider this more often for your contests, just a few key bullet points :3
One of those comments I was what I expected.
Your factor about some of the weight going into creating without admin codes was interesting, granted a fair portion of what is presented would never occur without it, would be possible but take you more along a few thousand hours for some of the stuff.
I will reveal 1 large comment about my own creation, I don't think my Princess Peach Castle should ever have won. I was not happy with the result in the slightest beyond the hand painted portrait component. So a large portion of the surprise was by comparing my own creations of the ruins vs castle where I thought the ruins were well done and my castle was terrible to the point where I considered deleting it.

And a general comment to remember and for some of those with unpleasent comments:
Every person is unique and has different reasons for entering (some most likely just due to money, others for fun, some mixed) and someone like me the largest factor is status and recognition as mentioned in my previous post, although the money is very helpful being $80K into student debt, so it allows me to afford computer upgrades(which allowed me to get RAM specifically for ARK to be playable again and even do videos) or get some video games / otaku content since that is all I have in my list. Some people aren't sensitive, some like me are extremely sensitive like myself. Some of us live alone and have lost everyone and only have the virtual world to turn to, so it isn't unreasonable to expect people to look for acknowledgement, most get it face to face in real life(I personally have a large amount of comfort issues and despair when it comes to anything outside my virtual world). If take college and take some psychology courses, you will understand it. I myself took a 4 year business course and my analysis is that the community interaction and communications really need to be raised, on top of organization/planning (which is my strongest skill). If I was in a community oriented position, I would devote more time to feedback on such contests and answer the forums more actively because of how important such components are, it no longer is just about the game like it used to be, the business structure for the gaming industry has evolved drastically over the last 15 years.

Unless you understand the person's past and background, calling names really isn't contributing anything. You are free to say whatever but it is not helpful to the specific matter. A large portion of postings and so on could be heavily improved by a much stronger community presence and communication in the. This will happen again down the road but with someone else no doubt. The communication on the latest biome patch since before June is a primary piece of evidence. This was something that doesn't bother me, but because everyone is different, others are bothered by it. As a customer, everyone is allowed to voice their thoughts if they can do it without using name calling. You have your comment but I don't doubt that there are fans who would miss my work. And I most likely gained some for pointing out a large factor that people have been seeking throughout the past year - finally having some comments about how a a judgement was made in a contest. Hopefully this type of feedback and appreciation for such feedback helps and avoids such incidents regardless of who enters, or what contest it is.

I do like building since I can listen to music during, but it definitely can feel like a chore when you see the amount of time put in (see my wolf-shock project) which I made specifically for others to enjoy rather than my own self. I was really excited to see the response the devs would have since it was something on a different scale never seen, so it was a bit heartbreaking to not have a single comment, and only a few posts on youtube when there are people who gets 10,000's of viewers and comments. If it says anything - I take the time to download all my screenshots even and edit them for size just to upload them for your company to have on your site (which takes 40-60 mins per 30 images due to the .39MB limit when the average image is .65MB), so I don't want to hear others comments about passion or devotion. Even further, I also try to support our the mod creators heavily by showing their wonderful work which many don't get enough recognition or support for.

Thank you very much Jat, I appreciate the time for a response and the comments by Stark and Casanova as well. It is very useful and supportive! I am rather curious who those fans are!

Anyways thank you again for your postings! I hope some of my comments here are helpful to you since I would like to see your business and game excel (with hopefully more love for the building component in terms of decor/structures/smoothed out functionality - pillars going through floors, items not snapping the reverse of how it is showing, more leniency to build into terrain and less collision check, etc). I have largely advertised and supported elsewhere and trying to help here and there or offer up ideas in the digest component. So the time taken for the comments meant a lot to me to  :3

• lilpanda pinned and featured this topic
On 6/10/2016 at 3:36 PM, Nayte said:

I would occasionally have this issue, when trying to join a friends dedicated server. Usually, after they re-booted the server (an Xbox One in this case), I would be able to join without any further issues.

You may want to try clearing the cache/hard booting your system, both the server and the console you play on (if you're using an Xbox).

Hope this helps

Doesn't seem to want to cooperate :'(

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:39 PM, Oreochema said:

Oh my goodness! Allosaurus and Pelagornis are among my most anticipated dinos! So glad they're upcoming!

Question, how exactly. I can only see the Pelagornis being a rideable pelican, and the allosaurus a weaker, very weaker giganotosaurus that huunts in packs. Enlighten me!please I only see the titanosaur s the amazing ultra dinosaur. only one dinosaur. make me more excited please!

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, Wolf Angelus said:

Thank you @Jat and @Stark for your replies and @Casanova for the supportive comment. Very much appreciated and really raised me out of the void I was feeling. The comment on having fans at the studio is really encouraging so I want to build for them :3 I would feel bad to dissapoint or stop providing enjoyment to them.

It is nice to actually see insight into the judging as it has never been shown before to the community, and I think if you revealed the judging more openly across your contests it would be appreciated by a lot of the community (just thinking about all the thoughts and comments of your recent mod contest). This is an important breakthrough I think for many. While there is no obligation, it goes an extremely far way in the customer service department! I hope you will consider this more often for your contests, just a few key bullet points :3
One of those comments I was what I expected.
Your factor about some of the weight going into creating without admin codes was interesting, granted a fair portion of what is presented would never occur without it, would be possible but take you more along a few thousand hours for some of the stuff.
I will reveal 1 large comment about my own creation, I don't think my Princess Peach Castle should ever have won. I was not happy with the result in the slightest beyond the hand painted portrait component. So a large portion of the surprise was by comparing my own creations of the ruins vs castle where I thought the ruins were well done and my castle was terrible to the point where I considered deleting it.

And a general comment to remember and for some of those with unpleasent comments:
Every person is unique and has different reasons for entering (some most likely just due to money, others for fun, some mixed) and someone like me the largest factor is status and recognition as mentioned in my previous post, although the money is very helpful being $80K into student debt, so it allows me to afford computer upgrades(which allowed me to get RAM specifically for ARK to be playable again and even do videos) or get some video games / otaku content since that is all I have in my list. Some people aren't sensitive, some like me are extremely sensitive like myself. Some of us live alone and have lost everyone and only have the virtual world to turn to, so it isn't unreasonable to expect people to look for acknowledgement, most get it face to face in real life(I personally have a large amount of comfort issues and despair when it comes to anything outside my virtual world). If take college and take some psychology courses, you will understand it. I myself took a 4 year business course and my analysis is that the community interaction and communications really need to be raised, on top of organization/planning (which is my strongest skill). If I was in a community oriented position, I would devote more time to feedback on such contests and answer the forums more actively because of how important such components are, it no longer is just about the game like it used to be, the business structure for the gaming industry has evolved drastically over the last 15 years.

Unless you understand the person's past and background, calling names really isn't contributing anything. You are free to say whatever but it is not helpful to the specific matter. A large portion of postings and so on could be heavily improved by a much stronger community presence and communication in the. This will happen again down the road but with someone else no doubt. The communication on the latest biome patch since before June is a primary piece of evidence. This was something that doesn't bother me, but because everyone is different, others are bothered by it. As a customer, everyone is allowed to voice their thoughts if they can do it without using name calling. You have your comment but I don't doubt that there are fans who would miss my work. And I most likely gained some for pointing out a large factor that people have been seeking throughout the past year - finally having some comments about how a a judgement was made in a contest. Hopefully this type of feedback and appreciation for such feedback helps and avoids such incidents regardless of who enters, or what contest it is.

I do like building since I can listen to music during, but it definitely can feel like a chore when you see the amount of time put in (see my wolf-shock project) which I made specifically for others to enjoy rather than my own self. I was really excited to see the response the devs would have since it was something on a different scale never seen, so it was a bit heartbreaking to not have a single comment, and only a few posts on youtube when there are people who gets 10,000's of viewers and comments. If it says anything - I take the time to download all my screenshots even and edit them for size just to upload them for your company to have on your site (which takes 40-60 mins per 30 images due to the .39MB limit when the average image is .65MB), so I don't want to hear others comments about passion or devotion. Even further, I also try to support our the mod creators heavily by showing their wonderful work which many don't get enough recognition or support for.

Thank you very much Jat, I appreciate the time for a response and the comments by Stark and Casanova as well. It is very useful and supportive! I am rather curious who those fans are!

Anyways thank you again for your postings! I hope some of my comments here are helpful to you since I would like to see your business and game excel (with hopefully more love for the building component in terms of decor/structures/smoothed out functionality - pillars going through floors, items not snapping the reverse of how it is showing, more leniency to build into terrain and less collision check, etc). I have largely advertised and supported elsewhere and trying to help here and there or offer up ideas in the digest component. So the time taken for the comments meant a lot to me to  :3

Wow I first saw you as an acknowledgement seeker, but now I just feel bad any even tried to put you down, I will personally be looking at your mods and even using them.(they do seem great and amazing after all!)

• lilpanda unpinned and unfeatured this topic
On 7/1/2016 at 9:32 PM, ManoWar said:

Question, how exactly. I can only see the Pelagornis being a rideable pelican, and the allosaurus a weaker, very weaker giganotosaurus that huunts in packs. Enlighten me!please I only see the titanosaur s the amazing ultra dinosaur. only one dinosaur. make me more excited please!

Well, I'm not sure I can, to be honest. xD I treat Ark like my own personal game of Pokemon and I collect all the dinos I really like. xD Ever since I was a kid, Allosaurus has been among my favorite dinos, and I love fliers, so Pelagornis is only another cherry on the cake for me. lol

The one I'm *really* stoked for, though, is Baryonyx. That one has also been a favorite of mine for a long time. Just confused as to why it will be so small compared to Spinosaurus.