SotF: Summer Cup & League, ARK @ E3, Biome Update, Digest 34, and Crunch 52!

Jatheish

• Administrator

large.summer_cup_logo.png

Hello Survivors!

Season One: Summer Cup Semi Finals!

We’re excited to tell you that the date for the Semi Final match for the Season One: Summer Cup will take place on:

Sunday, July the 3rd at 11AM EST

The winning teams from the Semi Final Match will be invited to be flown out to the ARK Survival of the Fittest Season One: Summer Cup in Shanghai, China at ChinaJoy 2016 and get the chance to compete for over $40,000!

This 4-Survivor Tribe match will differ to regular matches as the time of game length will be extended to two hours, not including sudden death. We will be posting an updated ring-of-death timer soon so players will be able to practice ahead of time for the upcoming match.

To read more details about the Summer Cup just check out: http://playark.com/summercup/

We’d also like to send a congratulations to the first set of teams that were able to successfully qualify for the match, wish them luck in competing and we look forward to seeing them battle it out for a place in the finals. These were the teams who had the collected highest points following May’s Survivor League Qualifier Rankings!  

And without further ado, the teams which have successfully qualified for the Semi Finals are:

Tribe: Barside Brawlers
Members: Fuzee, Bardave, The Tyrant, and Spur

Tribe: Kitty Cats
Members: MOLNMAN, HANNIBAL, Bertman, and Wilson Wilson

Tribe: BELIEBERS
Members: lunde, pbot, piespace, and Fmentz

Tribe: KappaPride
Members: Vinz, Deki, PedroSaltana, and Rezy

Tribe: Carnivore Drop
Members: D a r k r e l l, KireGame, 9e9e9, and adriancarballo

Tribe: Arma Poulet
Members: xutv, Blad, Warlock, and Oni

Tribe: The Rejects
Members: Flex, Bobster, Frumm, and TVA04

Tribe: YGD
Members: Bilbobagins, Wiener_Schnitzel, #JJ#, and Iratus.exe

Tribe: Silky Smooth
Members: Celine, Uhivra, Claus, Jigsaw

Tribe: PsychoSocial
Members: SonnyDreamX3, PSYCHOxnc, Hanseatenpower, and sgibba

Don’t worry for those of you who haven’t yet qualified, you still have another chance by playing through the 4v4 Survivor League ladder during June (visible in real-time here: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/survivor-league/ )! The scores were pretty close all together, and we’ll be hoping to invite another 10 teams to the match.

The invited teams will be set a special group invite and friends request on Steam from http://steamcommunity.com/id/SoTFLeague/ to get you setup for that match in July!

There have also been some concerns about teams wanting to make substitutions due to unforeseen circumstances during the qualification period. For those of you who would like to, please get in touch with Jat@studiowildcard.com and we’ll discuss the details further, as well as any other question you may have about the event.

Good luck to all Survivors out there and let’s see who gets crowned the Season One Summer Cup Champions of ARK: Survival of the Fittest!

large.SL-On-Smoke.png

June Survivors League Championship!

The ARK: Survival of the Fittest June Survivor League Championship matches will take place on 11 am EST to 2 pm EST on Saturday, July 2nd, with a bounty of more than $65,000 in prizes to the winners! 

The Survivors who have qualified for the event will be listed here on Friday the 1st of July: 

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/survivor-league/

On that day, invited contestants will receive a special invite to a steam group where you’ll be given all the details for the upcoming match, as well as the option to get in touch with an admin beforehand. 

Both the Summer Cup Semi Finals and Survivor League Championship match will be streamed on twitch.tv/survivetheark and shoutcasted by SotF expert, typeForced! We invite all ARK fans, and the newly curious, to come watch the epic battles and the chance to compete for thousands of dollars and an invite to the Summer Cup finals in China!

To those competing for a qualification spot: may fortune smile upon you, brave Survivors! And may the fittest survivor be victorious! 

ARK @ E3!

large.575f00020a9a9_ARKPrimalRaptorPack.

If you missed our ARKtastic announcements during this week at E3 here’s a recap post including trailers and screenshots of all our announced new content! Check it out: 

Biome Update!

large.575f001e0d6d7_RedwoodLEAD.jpg.d3a3

As the biome update quickly approaches, here’s a reminder that anything located inside the zoned areas could be deleted by these new biome changes. Please remove any important resources, bases, and creatures from the area before the patch releases (ETA: June 22). Anything within the redwoods are will absolutely be deleted. If you are based in the expanded snow biome your belongings will likely survive if terrain changes have not taken place, but it is in your best interest to remove all valuables from these areas to avoid damage if you are concerned about it. A map of these areas and further details can be found in the post below:

ARK Digest Q&A!

Here is our question and answer session with Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, Co-Creative Director of ARK: Survival Evolved, and Co-Founder of Studio Wildcard: Jeremy "Drake" Stieglitz!y

Survivor, Mystalias asks, “Can the training dummy show torpor damage done?”

It’s a little tricky due to how Torpor is setup to act upon characters, but I’ll get around to making it work.

Survivor, Dinopants asks, “For those of us who enjoy cave spelunking with our birds on single player, can we get a way to enable the ForceAllowCaveFlyers=True setting in the ini file?”

Yep I’ll go ahead and get it switched to an INI option so that it’s easier to access -- note that you can for now launch your EXE for singleplayer with -ForceAllowCaveFlyers even if you’re not hosting a “dedicated” server ;)

Survivor, Dinopants asks, “Will the current tribe logs get updated to show more detailed information? Such as the tribe name of a dino that killed you?”

Yes, that, as well as enemy Structure destructions.

Survivor, Volk asks, “Any plans for more advanced underwater weapons beyond the crossbow such as harpoon etc?”

Does the Fishing Pole count? Har har but seriously, one of the next underwater ‘weapons’ starts with T and ends with O. Can you guess it?!

Survivor, God787 asks, “Any chance of getting some settings for the homing water mines, kind of like the turret settings?”

Yeah I’ll go ahead and add the full spectrum of turret settings to ‘em.

Survivor, Ruenan asks, “With the Titanosaur coming out the 22nd. Will its so called "mega poop" create double the fertilizer in the compost bin or a bunch in a dung beetle?”

Yes, Titanic Dino == Titanic Poop == Titanic Fertilizer. Darn, did I just insult James Cameron’s 1997 masterpiece? Didn’t mean to.

Survivor, TranqRex asks, “Are there more types of structure planned? I've seen some clay-style prototypes linked on Twitter but they were for Primitive+ I think. How about the main game in general? -- obviously excluding the new tree-based stuff for Redwoods!”

Yes there’s another pre-Tek structure tier coming up, with some unique capabilities!

Survivor, TranqRex asks, “Could we get an 'eat all' button on XB1 (maybe for PC too it'd be useful)? When my health is low and I need to munch a stack of berries, repeatedly tapping the right trigger is only wearing out that trigger and tiring my finger!”

Yep, I’ll code that simple feature up soon!

Survivor, Tomtoyer asks, “How will works the Purlovia burrow's system?? They will can make holes in the ground and go in?”

Pretty much, but only on soft grounds of course! Then they pop up and grab any enemy intruder that gets too close!

Survivor, Kenkillya asks, “Would you consider putting a cool down or limit on tribes changing their tribe name. On the server I'm playing on there are tribes that change their names several times a day.”

Sure, we’ll make a server option for that.

Survivor, Zanber asks, “Any chance we can get Dev Kit functionality to arrange primal data blueprints in groups, assign each item a point value within that group, and then impose a cap on how many points worth of structures/tames from each group a tribe may have placed/own.
I would really like to run a server that limits the amount of dinos tribes can get, with higher powered dinos costing more towards the cap. Or maybe a turret mod with multiple turret types, with stronger turrets costing more. Or limiting how many vaults & or storage boxes a tribe can have. I really think it would be great for people trying to create personalized server specific balance type mods.”

I intend to continue exposing a lot more power to dev kits, including overrides of structure allowance and tames, along with much more item control. So yup, this will be entirely possible very soon starting with the next DevKit update.

Survivor, Neizan asks, “About: Custom Tripwire Alarm Notifications, Is there any chance of a mobile application of survivetheark.com to receive notifications on my Android?”

We’ll maybe see if the DodoDex crew can help with that, so that we can stay focused on developing ARK itself ;)

Survivor, OnePotatoChip asks, “So we've got functional fire animation and damage in the game with the DodoRex and The Dragon. Does this mean we'll being seeing fire based weaponry in the future? I know it was talked about before, but you all seemed sort of iffy about it.”

Yep, you will be getting a badass flamethrower, and very versatile flame arrows.

Survivor, Kaprodonychus asks, “Once Tapejara latches onto a tree or wall, can it move around on it as well as gain stamina?  Or does it stay in its place?”

It locks in place, but you can fire your weaponry when it’s in this state (unlike the Megalania).

Survivor, HarbringersCat asks, “Since Tapejara can land on cliff faces and such, could it also land on the sides of large dinos like brontos?”

Nah, that would be too painful for the large dino!

Survivor, Marksman00048 asks, “Would you consider the dyng of backpacks to aid in reclaiming your gear? Or just style points =p - I understand it's supposed to be difficult but I am also color blind and this puts me in a bit of an irritating position.”

Dyeing your backpack and packages sounds like a fun idea. I’ll get around to making that happen in due time.

Survivor, Wolfpack22 asks, Since we're getting gas mask soon will you be adding chemical weapons like mustard or chlorine gas, I would love to see a gas that cause debuffs to players that don't have there mask on and that wild and tamed Dino's find offensive to smell and cause them to leave the area for a time it would be great for fending off gigas from you base or area.

Yep.

Survivor, BaconR8Colby asks, “Something that I would really love to see implemented in Ark is some kind of multi-world/map system for Local Hosting.  Similar to Minecraft.  When "The Center" was added this essentially gives 2 maps/world's to play on which is great.  But it would be nice to have several Island maps or several Center maps.  That way if I wanted to pursue a variety of game styles or building locations the option would be there without messing up my main map/world.  Thanks for hearing me out! “

Yeah we’ll ultimately be making that happen, essentially in the way you indicate.

Survivor, MeSDatGeek asks, “Will we get proper stairs, without having to rely on mods? This has been a pretty big topic for a lot of us. It is something that many of us feel should be added to a game such as this as a default building feature.”

Yep, that’ll be coming in July for the various building tiers.

Survivor, Tamaster asks, “Can we please, please, please get server logs for destroying structures? Make them optional if needed just please!”

Yeah, that’ll get added in v244.

Survivor, ChiOokami asks, “Will Ark ever receive colorblind support. It's hard to distinguish between the different drop colors. A simple name when looked at through a spyglass would be sufficient.”

We’ll make the floating texts colors change-able as we did in SotF, and sure we’ll go ahead make the spy-glass able to get info on whatever supply crate it’s looking at from a distance.

Survivor, Adamsmasher asks, “What about a scroll option to move a desired piece (i.e. fence foundations) to all the different snap points it can see?”

Sounds like a pretty darn good and straightforward idea, I’ll try to get that in soon!

Survivor, Direwolf asks, “Do you have a specific release date for Primal Survival Mode, or is it not yet set?”

Its primary developers, Instinct Games, are aiming for a November 2016 release! My personal favorite: playing as a dung beetle and needing to find poop to consume. Survival Evolved indeed ;)

Featured Fanart!

Artwork Raptor Skin by Levia Draconia

36F10FECADCE0123EF2D95172B638404073AA71C

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705537291

Godzillark Progress by pepezilla

13BA1F66E3BB98934ED803233A5E4D940A179A76

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701908020

Hungry Sarco Is Hungry by Decayist

484B51DCACF9BE967D339878852F5B193236594A

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702215783

Idea: Plant Species O by TheLegendaryArkaius

42EE4B75B6A463A007787113A4D9216DB53B6FA4

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702218134

Leviathan - Ark: Survival Evolved concept by hamsterbluebow7608CD425E9C2F7D3EA4A84C8CBDC29A332BB8D7

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=700846935

Harbour City II by Sharkking

F7DFCF7ABED8632259BE43B7769FF8881BDD7F51

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701602515

Fanmade Dossier: Bunyip by Shadlos

F6A6DD93E2264C38FE16C4BCA6D9EC287635E40A

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=703336917

Fanmade Dossier: Lopho by Scarecrow

AD37C8BBEB480954028328B5E209B6A9D2CA2B47

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702379229

Fanmade Dossier: Jersey Devil by Shadlos

1363F288A29B064998FA4140FD12F651F2ECB895

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702129353

Fanmade Dossier: Shunosaurus by robbie7

ZiLrJgD.png

Fanmade Dossier: Anomalocaris by KAMIKAZY

Ark forum.jpg

The Ranger Chronincles - Journey To The Center of the ARK by ranger1presents

Batman! ARK SoTF Highlight by typeForced

ecoInWonderland Mod by eco

DODOREX vs THE BOSSES by GamerPerfection

Community Contests!

ARKitect!

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitect for Community Crunch 52 is…

TRanger for their ARKCraft Carrier Ship!

Congratulations TRanger for this awesome and creative ship! We’d also like to give a special honourable mentions to:

Valoule for their Bioshock Infinite Themed Airship!

20160616230855_1.jpg

With a link to the full album here: http://imgur.com/a/Lwjef

And..

Monkeypuzzle for Western Towers!

Congratulations to all 3 of you for your impressive ARKitecture entries!

ARKVideo!

This new Contest will be open for all types of video be they funny, epic, scenic, stories, whatever inspires you. Just a general reminder that they should remain safe for work, think of the children! 

The ARKVideo winner for Community Crunch 52 is…

Nakedzombo for their ARK Cinematic

Hilarious! Hope Jimmy ends up alright ;)

And we’d also like to give a special honourable mention to:

RagingCyanide for their film

Awesome entries as usual guys! Thank you to all those who entered and congratulations to all our winners and if you’d like to take a look at what all the survivors submitted, you can do so here:

Workshop Spotlight!

large.576500664d03d_HomingPidgeon.jpg

Ced: "Welcome to another week of the mod spotlight!  This week I'm with PommieGamer, the creator of the Homing Pigeon!  Welcome!  So this mod seems like it took off.  I saw when it was released in late March and a few weeks later it was in the most popular mods.  Tell me a little about yourself.  Do you have a background in game design?"

Hi everyone, it's great to be here, thanks for the opportunity ComplexMinded. My name is PommieGamer, originally I'm from London, England, but I'm now living in the beautiful city of Sydney, Australia. I don't have a background in game design (that would be a dream job though!), I do however work as a software engineer by day, so like any developer I like tinkering around with new toys, figuring out how stuff works - which is how I guess I fell into modding.

To be honest with you I'm a little blown away by the success of Homing Pigeon, we now have over 105,000 subscribers to the mod, which is an insane number! -  especially when you consider this is my very first mod for ARK: Survival Evolved.

Ced: Well the success is much deserved.  I think you tapped into functionality that many people have been looking for in the main game.  For those who aren't aware of the mod, briefly explain what it is and what your goal for the mod is.

Homing Pigeon at its core is an AI mod. Flyers equipped with the Homing Pigeon Leg Ring will automatically attempt to return to the closest Homing Pigeon Flag owned by the tribe, in the event that the rider dies. The motivation for the mod was to assist early-game players in retrival of their flyer (as they are so valuable at that stage of the game), and also because I have a habbit of accidentally pressing 'E' whist in mid-flight. Oops! ?

My plan for Homing Pigeon is to add additional functionality to enable players to manually send flyers to a tribe owned or allied Homing Pigeon Flag. This has great potential to open up new forms of trading and communication (especially on RP servers) between tribes. In addition I also plan to add support for a number of the other mods in the community which add custom flyers to the game.

large.655261420_preview_07-HomingPigeon-Screenshot-Argentavis.jpg

Ced: It sounds like you have a lot planned for the future of this mod!  I can tell you that I'll definitely have my eye out for it.  Its something that a lot of people wanted in the main game.  Who knows, maybe this will become an official mod!  I can definitely see the purpose for it.  So what helped you get started in the development kit?

Fingers crossed ? I would be thrilled if this became an official mod! While I have modded for other games in the past, I had never modded with the Unreal Engine, so I started by doing a ton of research on how the Blueprint Engine works and what sorts of things are exposed via that interface by the ARK dev kit. The forums were a great resource for getting started, so I had a number of threads bookmarked. In addition there are a ton of great video resources on YouTube, and we now have Discord chat which has been super helpful at getting quick info, or finding help to debug an issue. In terms of my own personal learning, the biggest hurdle for me was understanding how network replication functions in the Unreal Engine.

For anyone wishing to learn, this video playlist really helped me understand that subject:

Ced: "Thanks for that awesome resource!! I'm sure that will help get some people started.  So do you have any plans for any other mods or do you plan on investing most if your time into this one.  Any other cool ideas?"

I want to focus on finishing everything I have planned for Homing Pigeon before I move onto my next mod. But as a teaser, I do have an idea for another AI based mod which I think is going to be super useful and exciting, especially for ARK: Survival of the Fittest. But for now, my lips are sealed on exactly what that is ? .

Ced: "Ah I love the suspense.. Well I think that wraps it up for this community crunch!  Any parting words?"

Thank you to everyone for your continued support! ...and if you would allow me a shameless plug; checkout my ARK: Survival Evolved video series on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/PommieGamer .  Thanks again Complex!

That’s it for this week’s post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on Twitter at @survivetheark - Facebook at www.facebook.com/survivetheark and Reddit at www.reddit.com/r/playark!

All the best,

Wildcard Jat and the ARK: Survival Evolved Team!

View full article

57 minutes ago, Neizan said:

Survivor, Volk asks, “Any plans for more advanced underwater weapons beyond the crossbow such as harpoon etc?”

Does the Fishing Pole count? Har har but seriously, one of the next underwater ‘weapons’ starts with T and ends with O. Can you guess it?!

Torpedo??? O.o

Yes there’s another pre-Tek structure tier coming up, with some unique capabilities!

Yep, that’ll be coming in July for the various building tiers.

Torpedos? Submarines? Who knows?, it is only speculation :V

Edited by Neizan

I have an idea for the alpha dinos! The land carnivore alphas is red like the Red Obelisk (Dragon), the sea alphas should be blue like the Blue Obelisk (Megapithecus) and the land herbivore alphas (I have heard that is comming) should be green like the Green Obelisk (Broodmother). I just think that would look so cool :D 

• lilpanda pinned and featured this topic
2 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

LOL, no playstyle has been removed... it's been expanded.  You can still do whatever, but now you'll also have to deal with the repercussions.

Should spice things up a bit, eh?  :)

No it's been removed. Stealth is gone now. Going in guns blazing is now the only way to raid. Stealth was already not a great option and now it's impossible.

That's called removing a play style. When you can no longer do it.

• lilpanda unfeatured and unpinned this topic