The game is a joke as an e-sport.

UXR51

The game as it is its a joke as an e-sport. Its more luck than skill to win games and that is a problem. It will never be an esport the way it is now. Any serious gamer will just walk away sooner or later.

1.- I have seen games won or lost because of world events that drop RPGs or trexs for example. Imagine a team winning the superbowl, worldcup or any major sport final because of a different random item drop to players?

2.- Taming is too easy and its just down to luck to get a good tame around the area you are walking. Taming is the only way to consistently win, no other strat needed. Need to tame a trex? easy, it just dances in circles around its prey while you tranq it down to win the game. It takes absolutely no skill to tame the biggest and best dino in the game. Guns and chitin stand no chance vs a spino or trex. 

3.- The devs were even too lazy to make the game mechanics interesting or add a decent AI to dinos that they just added random health drops (acid rain, mega heat mega cold) instead of making proper AI or making the game more challenging. They happen so frequently that it gets boring.

4.- And whats with the flys that always spawn when killing a dino? It was interesting at first but now it gets old. Kill a dino and prepare spear to kill flys. Yawn. So much skill needed to prevent death  /s

5- Its one game with 3 game modes with total different mechanics. FFA, 2 players and 4 players should have exactly the same gathering rate, time and mechanics. 

6- The end game. The most boring thing to watch in a game ever. It should be the most interesting part of the game but no. Most players just walk slowly with rex or spinos and wait for another to attack someone and watch. The last one to attack wins. 

7.- Bugs. So many I cant even list them them all: thousand arrows with no damage bug, dinos stuck in other dinos bug, party drop bug, walk slowly for no reason bug, etc.

1.  world events are awesome and make the matches more interesting and unpredictable.  relating them to Earth sports is missing the point and misunderstanding culture of SOTF competitions.   I mean it's like comparing Chess to Crazy Eights.  Crazy Eights is fun being random and unpredictable and it decisions/strategies still matter.   You ever seen gladiatorial fights? sometimes they throw in wild predators into the mix, or warriors on chariots with horses and bows to make the fights more interesting and unpredictable.    SOTF is like an unscripted WWE combined with hunger games, with last tribe standing objective in open world.

2.  well considering how SOTF is shorter term sessions compared to something like ARK SE,  naturally tames are made to be faster and easier, like gathering is.

3.  so you are against interesting mechanics like evolution events, but you want more "interesting" mechanics.

4.  that is annoying

5.  NUUUUU.   same time would be terrible.  1 hour as standard for FFA is too long for players that like FFA.  and 30 minutes  is too short for 4v4 fans (personally, I feel 4v4 ranked/tournaments should be 5 hours with 72 players, but 1 to 2 hours is alright as long as there are day/night cycles included, with of course evolution events.

6. they can improve this making the ring instant kill (to players, not dinos) after it reaches the center, and become small enough that the players are pressured to attack.  

7. well SOTF is still early access, and ARK SE has priority in adding content, finalizing content and having official launch holiday 2016 on all major platforms, 

so when SOTF gets it turn, it could get more polishing.

10 hours ago, UXR51 said:

The game as it is its a joke as an e-sport. Its more luck than skill to win games and that is a problem. It will never be an esport the way it is now. Any serious gamer will just walk away sooner or later.

1.- I have seen games won or lost because of world events that drop RPGs or trexs for example. Imagine a team winning the superbowl, worldcup or any major sport final because of a different random item drop to players?

2.- Taming is too easy and its just down to luck to get a good tame around the area you are walking. Taming is the only way to consistently win, no other strat needed. Need to tame a trex? easy, it just dances in circles around its prey while you tranq it down to win the game. It takes absolutely no skill to tame the biggest and best dino in the game. Guns and chitin stand no chance vs a spino or trex. 

3.- The devs were even too lazy to make the game mechanics interesting or add a decent AI to dinos that they just added random health drops (acid rain, mega heat mega cold) instead of making proper AI or making the game more challenging. They happen so frequently that it gets boring.

4.- And whats with the flys that always spawn when killing a dino? It was interesting at first but now it gets old. Kill a dino and prepare spear to kill flys. Yawn. So much skill needed to prevent death  /s

5- Its one game with 3 game modes with total different mechanics. FFA, 2 players and 4 players should have exactly the same gathering rate, time and mechanics. 

6- The end game. The most boring thing to watch in a game ever. It should be the most interesting part of the game but no. Most players just walk slowly with rex or spinos and wait for another to attack someone and watch. The last one to attack wins. 

7.- Bugs. So many I cant even list them them all: thousand arrows with no damage bug, dinos stuck in other dinos bug, party drop bug, walk slowly for no reason bug, etc.

1: it spices up the game. It would take for to long to get all these in game.

2: Have you done it before? So what if it's easy to tame, want to watch a long stream taming a Dino?

3: gets so boring? Then why do you play it? Atlest it's somthing, what's your suggestion to to make it better?

4: just because there's flys means it should not be an e-sport. Ok then. How would we make it better?

5: ok then. "It has less gathering rates it sucks at a e-sport game"

6: it's boring to you, then don't watch it ok? People still enjoy it...

7: Early access bud.

to be honest this is a rant about what makes you salty. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever.

You are wrong. Ofcourse if the game is bug free, fun to play, not completely random, easy to understand and has good marketing it helps. In the end it just comes down to whether or not people will rather watch this game over the other.

1 - You have to ask if it makes the game more fun to watch and in this case I think it does. It doesnt make the game unfair because everyone has the same chance to get the RPG. You cant win championship in poker without luck. It is still fun to watch and the game is still fair.

2 - "Guns and chitin stand no chance vs a spino or trex." I dont agree if its 1v1. But if there is bunch of people with big tames then yeah as a techer you are screwed because they will usually focus the people on foot first. You just have to start killing them before it comes to final fight. Snipe someone off the rex and you got yourself a free rex. If you are bad with guns, its probably bad idea to go tech strat.

3 - How many games did you make? I dont think you understand this.

4 - They dont spawn when you kill a dino. All bugs in a certain area of he corpse will attack you if you are close to the corpse. Yes, they are the most annoying thing when you play the game but for people watching it is not so big deal.

5 - I dont see a problem other than that there is not enough players for 3 game modes right now.

6 - For real? The platform fight is usually the most interesting thing.

7 - The game is in beta.

ARK SOTF is more than a minigame.   in some ways it's a greater purpose and greater sense of accomplishment, whereas in ARK SE people are continually fighting boredom because there's only so much challenge the wildlife gets before it becomes easy, and the pvp side of things is often lopsided and unbalanced, and everything inbetween is too peaceful and casual.

at least in ARK SOTF all start from scratch each time and have a fighting chance.  though what holds it back is the dome and timer rules, but it's understandable they want ARK SOTF to be more like an esport that doesn't take more than an hour for a match.   

though maybe in some ways SOTF can be organized in ARK SE too with tweaks to the rules, with the mutual objective of being the last tribe standing.  that could combine the strengths of ARK SE with the strengths of ARK SOTF.

• 3 months later...

I do agree with the bugs. I have gotten stuck on a tree coming down on a parachute before, spear down the tree and died for no reason. No, I was not in high spot where I would have fallen and die, and yes, I had full health. It's one of the most annoying bugs in this game.

But I don't agree with you about dinos win all the time. I would say I have a pretty decent elo and me and my friends won most of the 2 men games we played. We rarely ever tamed tho. We always go tech. If you know the strat and know what you can doing, you can easily win the game without taking a single dino. Dinos are strong, but if you know what you can doing, you can kill them easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived