Somes

Suggestion

Common Name: Roc (Gaff's Powerful Eagle)

Species: Dynatoaetus Gaffae

Group: Likely Accipitridae since researchers believe it to be comparable to Philippines or Harpy Eagles.

Pack/Herd/Swarm/Flock Behavior: Tiny family flocks of a few,like most eagles.

Time/Era: Late Pleistocene

Idle Temperament: Loyal, Territorial

Temperament On Hit: Reactive, Aggressive

Diet: Carnivore, insectivore, piscivore

Feces Size: Small x3

Tameable: Yes

Rideable: Yes

Saddle Level: 70

Creature Harvesting: Meat,Fish,Prime meat.Prime fish,Muttun,Hide,Pelt,Creature trophies

On Death Drops: Feathers,Meat,Prime Meat,Roc Talon

Real Facts: Fairly new to discovery, this eagle is said to be the new largest eagle discovered. Compared to the Philippines Eagle and Harpy Eagle in appearance, this large raptor is believed to have lived on large animals such as kangaroos and large flightless birds! Recently discovered in March 2023, it was likely at the top of avian predators for its time. Researchers say that it likely died off because of the prey it hunted died off or went extinct in its habitat. The talons of this creature are as long as 12 inches and would be perfect weapons to kill any megafauna of Australia during its era. Research is still ongoing but they are also saying it might be not only an eagle, statements were made that it could in fact also be relative to vultures! That could make this raptor a hybrid of nature.

Wild Info: Often seen circling over mountain tops or perched on rocky cliff sides. They like to nest in carved out or cave-like areas in high elevation locations. Tribes seek them out as an upgrade from Argentavis. Being that Roc are 2 times larger than Argents they possess a bit more power and fly a bit faster as well. This makes them much better war mounts than Argents. 

Taming: Taming the Roc is fairly straight forward but it can be a task. Because it has resistances to poisons and narcotics, you will need to use shocking darts to tame it. Once it gets hit with the first shocking dart it will attack. Once it is down it will not be entirely knocked out! It will be in a half tamed state and give you tasks to complete before a timer runs out. These tasks will be things like cuddles,feeding it random things,giving it trophies like wyvern talons and finally placing the saddle to complete the tame.

Breeding/Farming: Because these birds demand respect and loyalty, when hatching eggs the babies are wild and refuse to be claimed! This means that you must grow them up and tame them as you did the parents to use them! This means you may want to build a breeding aviary. Remember these birds also eat from troughs wild and includes the babies.

Tamed (Domesticated) Info: While being more powerful and faster than an Argent, Roc's also carry over utilities from not only the Argent cousins but the Vulture and Fjordhawk cousins too! The Roc's saddle while not a smithy, will still give the same weight reduction as an Argent gets. They will also eat and make spoiled meat faster like a vulture. The Roc has the same ability as the Fjordhawk and will recover your belongings after a timely demise. The difference though is that the Roc is much bigger and can carry most if not all of what you carry! The Roc has a special aerial dive that pounces (maybe latches on larger creatures) with its talons and ends with a ripping bites that has a chance to cause a small bleed. On the ground it can do the wing flap just like wyverns but it does not gather anything like the wyverns version. Otherwise the rest of its attacks work much like an Argent. It can also carry in its beak but because its bigger than an Argent it may be able to carry humans and medium sized creatures like a saber for example. These birds can carry a Mammoth but doing so will reduce the speed of flight and will render it not able to attack.

Other Notes: These enormous raptors are rivals to wyverns and are known to have resistances to fire,poison and ice breath weapons. Be warned that a lightning wyverns beam attack can be devastating to a Roc because they do not have resistances to electricity. Due to how smart these birds are, they are opportunistic and will eat from feed troughs while wild! Yep, they will steal your feed!

Also, with feathers as a drop it will rework arrows to require them! This should carry over to other bird creatures as well. Otherwise, use feathers to make a special head dress skin per gender.

Harpyeagle2.png

Edited by Somes

7 replies to this server topic

While I think that most people will overlook this creature because its similar to an Argent...I think that you are right that it fits the theme. However, as you mentioned in the Otter submission; it could technically be made by resizing the Fjordhawk and given the abilities. Which is an option if this does not make it to the top 10.

I think if it had an original look that people could get behind it might actually have a chance. People need the visual though.

Just now, H3XANDRA said:

While I think that most people will overlook this creature because its similar to an Argent...I think that you are right that it fits the theme. However, as you mentioned in the Otter submission; it could technically be made by resizing the Fjordhawk and given the abilities. Which is an option if this does not make it to the top 10.

I think if it had an original look that people could get behind it might actually have a chance. People need the visual though.

I actually did not think about that with the fjordhawk...you are kinda right about that. I wish I could draw up a cool fantasy style viking bird with some peacock style feathers. Feathers kinda like a mix between the painting I posted and a microraptor. 
I will hopefully be able to make mods when the time comes so if I have to I will make up some easy resized creature mods.

I find it odd that people are voting for creatures that do not fit Ragnarok well. The roc is well known in norse and viking mythology. I thought it may be a good fit but it seems people just want dinosaurs rather than birds and mammals that would match the theme.

Anyway, made some adjustments and fixed spelling errors in the main post.