Scorched Earth is "New" to Me

Woody714

While I have seen gameplay online, I waited until I could complete The Island before actually playing on Scorched Earth. I have tried other DLC maps like Lost Island and Fjordur, but this is my first run on Scorched. So...the environmentals...is it all just arbitrary or is there rhyme and reason? I thought there was logic involved...different storms affect things different...but the canteens! So I notice whenever water is placed in the inventory instead of the hotbar, it "evaporates" I would guess. I have even had jars and canteens just break...ok. So, now I have water just disappearing as soon as I place a canteen on my hotbar. Is this logical or is it just more randomness designed "to enhance the player experience"?

23 minutes ago, Woody714 said:

While I have seen gameplay online, I waited until I could complete The Island before actually playing on Scorched Earth. I have tried other DLC maps like Lost Island and Fjordur, but this is my first run on Scorched. So...the environmentals...is it all just arbitrary or is there rhyme and reason? I thought there was logic involved...different storms affect things different...but the canteens! So I notice whenever water is placed in the inventory instead of the hotbar, it "evaporates" I would guess. I have even had jars and canteens just break...ok. So, now I have water just disappearing as soon as I place a canteen on my hotbar. Is this logical or is it just more randomness designed "to enhance the player experience"?

This page from the wiki should answer almost all of your questions about the unique environment of Scorched Earth. You're right about the canteens, water evaporates automatically from Water Jars and Canteens.

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Scorched_Earth

Scorched is probably the hardest environmental map there is (with aberration being hardest overall in my opinion). Everything is designed around extreme weather, water containers will empty as a result of heat.

You get 3 major weather conditions,

• Heatwaves will cause you to lose water faster and get heatstroke.
  • Electrical storms prevent the use of tek/cryos.
  • Sandstorms will reduce visibility and drain stamina

You also have to build from adobe/tek, stone and metal structures become ovens and will slowly kill you. You will need to build near a water source, either the central river or near a water well location. You can also get water from different dinos such as jugbugs or store water in a morellatop.

You can also tame and carry a jerboa, they will give you warning of what storm is coming;

• Lightning Storm: The Jerboa will make a low toned growl-like sound while lowering its ears and wagging its tail.
  • Sand Storm: The Jerboa will emit a high pitched chirping-like sound while it seems to bark at the sky.
  • Heat Wave: The Jerboa will make a medium-toned growl while digging and pawing at the ground.

Despite the map being rather unpopular, its quite enjoyable for a single biome.