Noobie Question

Hambone247

I'm relatively new to Ark. I was playing on The Island PvE beginner. Found an unoccupied area and started building. Being new, I thought it would be a good idea to build a simple water system to share. However, a neighbor showed up and told me I was to close to his area despite Ark letting me build there. The neighbor than proceeded to lay foundations all around me to block my access. He then began a series of attacks and harassment. Is this standard for beginner PvE? Are players allowed to monopolize whole areas? The dude looks fairly far advanced and IMHO shouldn't be bullying others on that level. What gives? 🤷

• Haha 1

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, Hambone247 said:

I'm relatively new to Ark. I was playing on The Island PvE beginner. Found an unoccupied area and started building. Being new, I thought it would be a good idea to build a simple water system to share. However, a neighbor showed up and told me I was to close to his area despite Ark letting me build there. The neighbor than proceeded to lay foundations all around me to block my access. He then began a series of attacks and harassment. Is this standard for beginner PvE? Are players allowed to monopolize whole areas? The dude looks fairly far advanced and IMHO shouldn't be bullying others on that level. What gives? 🤷

Nope. What he’s doing is against the rules on a PVE server. Simply report him via support ticket. 

10 hours ago, Hambone247 said:

Welcome to ARK.

You've encountered your first griefer on an official server. Way back in 2017 I'd been playing quite awhile on officials and thought I knew how to deal with griefers. I was trying to share and added some players to my tribe. They turned out to be griefers and ended up destroying 1/2 of what was a very large base before I was able to remove them from the tribe. Shortly after that, I never played on officials again. I'd played about 1000 hours up until that point. I've now played over 8000 hours of ARK and had plenty of fun with this game.

Most things in built in ARK can not be shared with non tribe members, but water pipes are one thing that can be shared, really about the only thing. Even then, not all players agree on that, so it is probably best to negotiate first before building. I've seen players use water pipes to grief other players, with pipes all over the place, so putting pipes through or near another players base might be considered a hostile action if not agreed to in advance.

Especially on the official servers. But official servers are only just one way to play ARK. You don't say if you are playing on console or PC, so I can't really give you any advice on where else you might could play.

If they have you surrounded on all sides by foundations, its a no brainer for the GMs to handle.

https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us

If I remember correctly, the support side might be a separate login credential you need to setup.  In the upper right hand corner of the page, you click on log in.  Once you are logged in, in the same corner of the page you click on submit a report.

From there fill in as much information about them and the situation as you can.  When you get to a field you don't know how to fill, or you don't have that exact information available (example: steamID of the offender) just put in " n/a ' .   You must have all fields with a red asterisk filled out with something for the report to process. 

Make sure to take some screenshots and include the links or the files themselves into the report.   I usually do a screenshot after hitting ESC, so that pulls up the information of the server to verify the pictures I take look connected and present on the server I claim to be reporting about.

This is why I always pillar/ladder around my base even if I'm not planning on a big base, getting out at least 5 pillars is one of my biggest priorities, but you might need more like a dozen to claim a reasonable chunk of land. And even more if you want to protect anything like metal nodes. If you're neighbor has claimed about that or even a little more, and you're trying to build like within a dozen foundations of where his main base is, like... it is you who is being rude. If your neighbor on the other hand already has a 50x50 foundation base like 100s of meters from your spot, and it really was open land there, but he greedily boxes you in after the fact, like... obv yea that is him griefing you. "is this common on official?" well situations in between those extremes are common, the best solution is usually to to hash it out in global. The more grievously offending party will likely want to cover their own ass and back down and remove pillars and save face with global and prevent GM action.

Just a couple things to mention, in case you missed them since you are new.  The first is that the official beginner servers wipe every couple of months; you can transfer stuff off the server to the main PVE ones, but do note that it is a one trip.  Something else to mention is that all the official servers are being closed in August; final server saves will be provided, so it will be possible to load those up as a private server or single player game. 

The official pve beginner servers are over crowded and it causes drama.  It will be constant fighting. 

Beginner servers were not really meant to be played for any length of time.  They are an attraction because they fill up quickly with new people who do not understand the dynamics of the game.  This has good and bad.  Good is other people who don't lord over you or give you free pets instead of teach you how to play.  Bad is overcrowding with bunch of grabby beach bobs.

Since it's official server it will be closing in the fall and maybe finding an unofficial would be best.  You can use the site Battlemetrics to search for unofficial servers with no mods.  Mods are tricky and can break the game if old plus add a lot of loading time.  Highly suggest moving to an unofficial server that has all the maps and no mods.

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 2:34 AM, SarahMonette said:

The official pve beginner servers are over crowded and it causes drama.  It will be constant fighting. 

Beginner servers were not really meant to be played for any length of time.  They are an attraction because they fill up quickly with new people who do not understand the dynamics of the game.  This has good and bad.  Good is other people who don't lord over you or give you free pets instead of teach you how to play.  Bad is overcrowding with bunch of grabby beach bobs.

Since it's official server it will be closing in the fall and maybe finding an unofficial would be best.  You can use the site Battlemetrics to search for unofficial servers with no mods.  Mods are tricky and can break the game if old plus add a lot of loading time.  Highly suggest moving to an unofficial server that has all the maps and no mods.

Good luck!

The official beginner servers are not crowded. The beginning areas are crowded because bobs love to plop down their thatch after taking a few steps. More than 90% of the map is unused because its not beachfront property.

• 2 weeks later...