Crossplay is a baaaad idea for ASA

wallaby

how do you guys feel about it? 

firstly i worry that this is going to be congested as all hell on official servers to the point of complete failure and genuinely hope they reconsider

secondly as a console player im very concerned about PC players... in pvp its not even a question console will be fodder for pc the difference between kbm/controller alone will make sure of that, but even as a pve player this concerns me alot i worry that were going to constantly be under ddos attack,  server full? ddos it so i can get me and my friends in, see a guy near water? ddos and drown steal his stuff, dont like were that guys building? ddos him constantly until he quits the server, minor disagreement in server? u guessed it ddos

i know its a minority but cheats and malicious ddos'rs are frequent enough on pc that its exactly why i completely avoid pc gaming,

what do you PC'ers reckon? are these concerns for you guys or do the servers do a good job at hiding your i.p, and is the anti-cheat up to scratch?

• Like 2

For pc players the main problem would probably long wait times for updates due to the special console validation process. Unless the devs dont care and just push updates through and console players cant log in until the patch is available to them.

Other than that crossplay would probably be nice for pc players, as the co sole players are likely going to be an easy target for pvp.

For console players i really dont see an advantage in crossplay, at least for pvp. The cheating on ase official pvp is ridiculous, it is not the minority that cheats and exploits. It is every relevant tribe. You cant compete without it and the level it has gotten to is simply just ridiculous. Cheat software has become cheaper and more powerful over time. It is part of the massive black market for ark officials, a lot of real money trading is going on. It is not even hard to find those „market places“, but nothing gets done, similar with cheating and exploiting. Wildcard completely fails to enforce their rules. So yea, console players would get to enjoy that as well with crossplay. And i have very little believe that wildcard is going to be able to effectively counter cheating on the new game since they dont care to talk about their plans in that regard and since they failed so bad at it in ase. The people who make money with selling cheats are more than likely ready to pump out cheats and sell knowledge about exploits as soon as possible after launch. The networks to sell those things are already in place and working.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 7:11 AM, wallaby said:

how do you guys feel about it? 

I was thinking I had no opinion, but in writing this post, I realize crossplay if the only option, it will be a really bad change to ARK. So let's assume ASA is only crossplay, and ASE remains available and can only be played with no crossplay (since crossplay was only available on official servers with no mods).

I'll continue playing ASE in that case, only on unofficial server like I've been doing since 2017. I won't be playing on any ASA official servers. I will even continue playing ASE for some time after ASA is released. Would be nice to play ASA only after it comes out of beta and has most of the bugs ironed out, has more than a few maps, and has many mods supported it (like ASE does). At that time, I expect there will be quite a few unofficial server clusters to chose from. That is what I consider the optimal time switch from ASE to ASA. 

I will say this about crossplay (from experience with it in Warframe). It can not be implemented without adding new bugs and play issues. There will be different load times (although this has always existed with PC too, those with high and low end systems have a different game experience). It will also limit the mod selection a server can have.

I'm hoping there will be an option to turn off crossplay, but we will see. If not, you might see the life of ASA with mods on unofficial servers have a much longer life than WC would hope for. ASA could have a much wider selection of mods if crossplay could be turned off. If not, only mods that work both on PC and consoles can be used.

Consider that ASE with mods has a huge selection of mods and ways you can play ARK. From complete reworks to game play and unofficial maps you can play. ASA with only the approved mods on the new cross-platform modding system will be much more limited. For many players, ASA is won't be an improvement until several years of its development are complete.

The ultimate experience of ARK has always been on a PC with mods (so unofficial servers). I don't see how crossplay can ever be as good, even with improvements and UE5.

So really, I don't ever want to play ARK with crossplay.

I'm not sure I am sober enough to do this properly - but

Philosophy of "dedicated devices" 101: 

At a moment Apple corporation released a "personal" computer complete with an operating system to the public. 

And then IBM figured that there might be money in this ... So they paid a nascent MicroSoft a few bob (for DOS) and punted a IBM personal computer.

A little later down the line came some peeps that thought "Well - why does a consumer need to mess around with operating system and graphics card this and memory that". Lets make a "box" that has all of that stuff built in!

And waaaay down the line, one of the guys that done very well out of a (X)-box figured "Why would I spend on "special" PC stuff when I hold a good bit of the console market". Oooh and never mind that, I also hold a really significant bit of the personal computer market (with background online updates). So lets make "this" the standard - and crush the opposition!

I feel for Sony & playstation (albeit they are still clearly in the game).

And I feel more for guys looking for a free market "space" to publish their brilliant plan. If they are no able to cross compile stuff to fly on X-Box and etc - they are a bit out in the cold!

So in short answer to OP - its where the money is - so its gonna happen!

It is going to be a disaster. However, PC has been a disaster for a while and they don't seem to care. Now console players will see how bad the speedhack/aimbot/esp is. And that's before we even get to the normal inherent advantages of KBM/High end PC Performance/INI editing/Easily changing settings like view distance/ gamma/brightness/etc.

Honestly console "normies" having to deal with the cheaters is possibly the only way to get enough people mad at WC enough to do something about it, maybe *huffs copium*

As far as I understand the situation, it was Microsoft and Sony who wouldn't allow XBox and Playstation users to join in with each other and Steam and EPIC users.

If all ASA players will be allowed to join a common server (regardless of platform), then I would like WildCard to implement a server switch so unofficial server owners could allow or disallow XBox and PS players.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft and Sony allow mods on the consoles.

15 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

We know Microsoft will allow it. They allow it on many other games. I can't speak to PS. 

The Ark situation is puzzling...  Why have Microsoft not allowed Steam/EPIC Ark to crossplay with Win10/Xbox Ark?

It can't be mods because EPIC players can crossplay with non-modded Steam players.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

The Ark situation is puzzling...  Why have Microsoft not allowed Steam/EPIC Ark to crossplay with Win10/Xbox Ark?

It can't be mods because EPIC players can crossplay with non-modded Steam players.

Not sure. It may be because crossplay was never possible in the Xbox code and the Win10 version of the game is nothing more than a UWP port of the version that runs on the Xbox. It may have nothing to do with those limitations and was just a decision from WC. Could have been a limitation imposed by Microsoft. No telling really.

Edited by Joebl0w13

I agree. On Xbox, I've personally noticed that every time PC gets added to a console game all of the cheaters and hackers come with it.

I play an MMO called DCUO, and the same thing happened to PlayStation when they merged with PC. Destroyed the entire economy and the speed hackers break the game. Obviously I'm glad they haven't merged Xbox to that mess (yet), but I'm definitely scared and dreading that happening someday lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about all that on Ark. Just sounds like hackers and cheaters would be rampant, especially the trolls constantly crashing servers (possibly many even in protest of losing their ASE progress).

Then again, I play on console specifically because I prefer vanilla and unmodded stuff (too much to worry about). I also play PvE only, so I could only imagine the nightmare it's going to be on PvP.

That's if I even decide to get ASA to begin with, still dealing with ASE. But it doesn't sound fun. I hope there will still be separate servers. Time will tell anyway.

im on pc and sadly, this game is full of cheaters. we have meshers on our official small tribes server and aimbotters. we pressed alt + f4 again. game is unplayable in its current state. console users should be worried if crossplay will be available. dirty cheaters everywhere.  they should be perma banned/hardware banned! zero tollerance!

• Like 2