Community Crunch 361: ASA Comparison, EVO Event, and More!

StudioWildcard

1 hour ago, ladyteruki said:

Say, have a Community Crunch about wild babies, for instance. That can include a preview of new baby/juvenile models if they exist and they're ready to be shown (and 3 months away from release I sure hope that there'd be a couple of them ready...!), but mostly tell us what the babies will do

Yeah tameable or just decorative. I mean I don't care if I have to raise rest of the way before use. We have monkeys and kairuku atm and good for meat only , poly too I spose if want to bash the 💩 out of them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ladyteruki said:

My only issue with the mortar and pestle or cooking pot is that we see stuff inside. Especially the mortar and pestle : in the absence of decorative items in Ark (a years old issue...), a lot of us use the mortar as bowls on tables, dinner placemats, and such.
Are they at least dynamic, in that it depends on whether there is something in their inventory ? Does it look green when there's spoiled meat or things like that ?
Builders always get shafted.

This sentiment kinda echoes what I was saying the other day. There actually could be a lot discussed even if we can't be shown gameplay just yet. Which is idiotic but FINE, have it your way.
Where I disagree is : I don't stand behind WildCard at all cost ; my being there on release day is not a given.

I think WildCard tends to forget we need to be convinced to buy this. Our money is not owed. After the reception the roadmap got ? We are not won. It's a lot of money for me (...assuming my current computer can run it, otherwise I can't switch to ASA, and of course we don't know yet about that part either), in fact it's a lot of money for lots of people, and we are not due to give it to WildCard. Waiting for the last minute to drop meaty previews assumes we're waiting for the release. That's misleading : we're waiting for a proof that this upgrade, which is more than a cosmetic refresh but is also about performance and gameplay, is worth the effort on our part.

Everything that has been shown to us so far, we already have it in ASE. And none of it cracks the Top10 of things everyone was asking to be improved. And sure, it might not look as good in ASE as it might in ASA, but it's paid for, and has provably given us hundreds and even thousands of hours of fun (each), as well as communities we are attached to. ASA ? No guarantees so far, none at all, for any of it.

If things can't be shown to us, and you don't want to get input from us, surely they can be explained (important Community Crunches are notoriously talkative anyway).
WildCard has already announced some gameplay additions, let's discuss them in more details. Say, have a Community Crunch about wild babies, for instance. That can include a preview of new baby/juvenile models if they exist and they're ready to be shown (and 3 months away from release I sure hope that there'd be a couple of them ready...!), but mostly tell us what the babies will do (are they gonna behave exactly like some mods, or have you had an original idea on top of it ?), why the change was decided (it's fun for sure, but, I mean, surely you can elaborate), how it works (if there's new UI options, for instance), the expected impact on the meta, etc.

Like, at least pretend that you're trying to make ASA appealing to us. Pretend your self-loathing "we hope you'll trust us again" message in a previous Crunch meant something. Pretend we're customers, many of us adults, who make decisions about what we buy or not. Pretend that you have noticed this community is VERY divided about this release. See how it goes ; I don't know, we haven't tried that yet.

The only reason I stated that I do stand behind Wildcard, is because we don’t know how much decision making is being and string pulling is being done by Snailgames.  Looking back over the years I’ve played this game, there have been a lot of instances where I have been beginning to question “was that a WC decision or a Snailgames decision?”  Which to me, that’s a good question to ask.  The more time goes on, the more stupid decisions and the more I reflect and ask myself, “is our anger aimed  in the right direction, or should it be aimed at the puppeteer?”.  Now I am in no means defending the stuff the WC has done as far as stupid decision making, and there has been a lot of it, but when you take something like the roadmap and how that epically ticked off the ENTIRE community in unison, then with the replacement of overwolf for mod.io to manage the modding side of things, then to charge full price with the the EXACT same offer just split up different?  To me all this stench of this whole ordeal is there’s snail trails AALLLLLL OVER THIS!  So I have to question is this Snailgames (who back in march was hemorrhaging money) or is it actually wildcard being stupid.  Maybe I’m just being naive, but I remember Ark BEFORE Snailgames got involved and it was much much much different experience all the way around, and about the time Snailgames bought it is bout the time a lot of things (meaning damn near everything) went to hell in a hand basket.

Wildcard, this is not the time to play games with your community.  This is the time to be upfront with us with transparency and honesty.  Playing games with us, the community, is only going to drive the death knell into your company that much faster.  If Snailgames is going down, LET THEM!!!  Don’t get dragged down with them because of their stupid decisions.

Also give us more in the crunches like the wild babies, what changes to the building mechanics, or fixes you have accomplished.  Stop being so vague and show us what you got!

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the majority of items tossed on the ground will still be boxes in ASA.

When looking back at a number of things like this which never ended up appearing, like the 2017 video 'ARK ON-GROUND MESHES FOR DROPPED ITEMS!! Ark Survival Evolved Dev Kit Sneak Peek' where Fresonis showed a number of items having their own models; it would be cool seeing if the idea resurfaces again in this recreation of the game.

It would be neat for PvP as well, seeing what items someone rapidly tossed on the ground without having to identify through a bunch of boxes on the floor.

Edited by Lise

7 hours ago, Huntdad5 said:

Where is the gameplay?
We'll be showcasing gameplay shortly before release.

Is this all you've done?
No, we've done much more, but we're just showing you a glimpse behind the curtain. You'll see more in the weeks ahead and when we launch!

Does this seem hypocritical to anyone, it seems like they are trying so hard to defend an empty statement. i dont want to be that guy, but who wants to buy a glitcher version of a game, only with better graphics? I do have to say i have been a litke over critical, but wc has earned that from me. The graphic changes though are beautiful, I love the new graphics, so keep up the good work wc, but don't forget to work on your sometimes very awful ui. 

They have game just on paper and on begining to do something...They realize to cant do ark 2 and how they going to earn money? Someone come o to just update ark 1 close all old server and sell to people again same game ...

4 hours ago, Voidtoker said:

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE. This is it. Conan’s Exiles to me feels nothing like Ark, nor does Rust. Until another game exists that allows me to capture, raise and battle animals THEY COULD CHARGE $200………

Both still early days but icarus and smalland both going down that route, 'spect there will be many more in the works. Winning pokemon type formula.

4 hours ago, acat said:

You dont know how much effort they are putting into it, that is just speculation on your part. Wildcard has not been able to fix a list of bugs in their game for years, they have continuously added unbalanced content showing how little they understand of game balancing (or how little they care), and they have completely, and i mean in the worst way possible, failed to combat cheating and exploiting on their official servers. There is absolutely no reason to believe all of that would suddenly be better in asa. I wish it would, but they gave me no reason to believe in it, and they continue to only show little assets that i really dont care about, instead of sharing convincing and detailed information regarding the big issues (cheating, balance, performance). 

Exactly I do not know how much effort WC makes, but I am very optimistic, especially since they put a lot of work even in "little things". I definitely don't expect it to be bug-free, but I love Ark even with its flaws.
Yes I am NOT a console gamer, maybe that's why. I haven't seen any massive game breaking bugs yet, otherwise I wouldn't play it either. 

But what WC does in the background, or not, that all other readers / players but also do not know and many already claim that ASA is a flop and hardly anyone will play it satisfied.

I can only start from me and my people. We are curious about ASA.

I can hardly wait for Fridays and always stay up extra late just to read the Crunch, which I never did before.

As for the con.
Scammers will NEVER give up, they will always find loopholes.
I hope for the sake of the official players that it gets better in ASA.

Game balancing.

Well WHO votes for the animals?
WHO would ever vote for a starting animal here?

Yes there are some players who would like to see starting pets or useful pets and not just evil and mean.

However, WC has always allowed us to adjust VERY much ourselves.
Even now, even with the hawk, I can determine for myself how long the pause is before it goes back for the bag.
They also change naturally what at the animals and the like.
Yes with officials this is not possible.
But compare most officials with private ones.

90% of the private servers are fast, you are within a few days / weeks almost maxlevel. and as you can also read here, who cares about the little animals, they are considered useless.
Almost all want to get only fast fast Rex, Giga and Co. There is the Noterun, or you stand next to a grinder to pump up the levels, or build numerous structure parts.

What the small animals can and what not, know most but not at all.
Yes that could have been better balanced.
But honestly. WHO would have played this?

I know what I'm talking about.
My server is very special in that respect (due to mods AND the numerous settings) and there are so far only two people who have played like that for a long time next to me.
Everyone else immediately turns on their heels and leaves.

Even in PVE, people exploit bugs and opportunities wherever possible.
I have experienced a lot of bad in the Ark community.... But also a lot of good.

And the fact that WC has allowed me to customize the game so much is perfect for me, and that they support modding so well.

If both would not be given, I would probably not play Ark anymore.
That is this balancing I may change myself very very much, I have experienced something like this in NO game!

For me it is not about Rex and co. It could be completely different species for all I care.
I like the basic concept and all the possibilities in Ark.

Yes they are only giving out small things so far, but it's like the game here. Please best to know and experience everything right away. 
Wait is not in it, since one rather only grumbles and nags.
They will give out information, that is also confirmed, just not yet, because it is probably not yet ready to speak.

Edited by Dienstbier

2 hours ago, Coyal said:

Yeah tameable or just decorative. I mean I don't care if I have to raise rest of the way before use. We have monkeys and kairuku atm and good for meat only , poly too I spose if want to bash the 💩 out of them.

And if they're tameable... does it replace taming adults entirely or rather adds to it ? Once we have them, is it only to have them grow in our bases or do they bring unique (although temporary) benefits ? Why is it interesting to keep taming wild babies once you can breed your own with mutations ?
So many possibilities. So many questions.

And, see, the thing is, THOSE are exciting questions imho. This is stuff that gets people excited, and that helps players project themselves into owning ASA. You can start fantasizing about all the things you'll do, and all the ways it'll make the game feel fresh. You don't get that from a new tree or sleeping bag.

8 hours ago, Voidtoker said:

Until another game exists that allows me to capture, raise and battle animals THEY COULD CHARGE $200………

Lol, lmao even. No they couldn't. They and anyone foolish enough to spend that much for a single game with one dlc out would be reamed into the dirt so hard they'd be able to take selfies with the planet's molten core. 

• Haha 2

Rhygnio is still waited, we don't raptorin care about how better it look, we want proof about the game running better.

For the last time you are not in a position of flawless success where u can put mystery around your next product, u are in a position where u should answer our fear AT LEAST. But keep showing us useless poop for sure it will make us buy it.... 2 month and half btw time for some gameplay SHORTLY BEFORE RELEASE.

Can u advertise ppl about the official shutdown plz  ???? again newplayer everyday that are not aware of ur decisions......

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keiran70 said:

People are so demanding, do you guys not realise that the unreal 5 update is them fixing the game, you guys need to calm down a bit.

I think we what WC/SG said in the beginning should be. Free upgrade. They are trying to make a profit off us. Other games fave free upgrades. I can see a little price maybe 10 or 15 dollars. But 60 ?!!! Come on looking at YouTubers talk about how they are coming out with a new game makes it clear. They are forcing players to either have to play Unofficial (which I do not play) or purchase a game we already have. 

Interesting timing with the enforcement update. Is this your offhand way of addressing the conquest controversy, or are you genuinely giving us permission to tear into a certain tribe?

Either way, someone has to hold certain people in power accountable. I wonder if the gaming news sites have picked up on all this already

Edited by ArchLucifel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaskur said:

So... there´s a new Skyrim remaster, edition whatever every few years and nobody bats an eye. But if Ark get´s an update to a higher tier of engine, everyone loses their mind.

Not all!
I claim for me and some of my acquaintances there definitely an exception ud here in the Forum gabs yes also a few reasonable writers.
But yes a very large part rushes and nagging.

Completely incomprehensible, especially when you consider that ARK is still available for players who only have older hardware.
If UE5 would have been pulled on ASE, would have looked completely in the tube, because not even more single player would have been possible.

2 hours ago, Vaskur said:

So... there´s a new Skyrim remaster, edition whatever every few years and nobody bats an eye. But if Ark get´s an update to a higher tier of engine, everyone loses their mind.

Yeah - but Skyrim ain't an online game. With peeps that have spent several years building stuff together in that game. In servers that they don't control, which are now being closed down............

And I still run the original version of Skyrim ;) Never saw a need to "upgrade" 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Yeah - but Skyrim ain't an online game. With peeps that have spent several years building stuff together in that game. In servers that they don't control, which are now being closed down............

And I still run the original version of Skyrim ;) Never saw a need to "upgrade" 

Just download the savegame an play in singleplayer or on a private server. Problem solved

• Facepalm 2