Oceans in ARK 2

Griffin998

We've heard not much about oceans in ARK 2. Is WC getting rid of them because they're a pain to make, or are they just being secretive? Even in the trailer, all I remember seeing is small-ish lakes and rivers. What if oceans aren't a part of ARK 2? No one would be complaining if the Island ocean was turned into a huge plains biome, but look at what WC did with the Genesis ocean biomes. They look amazing! Imagine that in UE 5 and with new design elements and creatures. I'd be more than a little disappointed if there were no oceans in ARK 2, but what's your take on the subject?

Good luck and happy ARKing! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think Ark 2 will be mostly land-based becouse no trailers or concepts showed any biome that even remotely resembles a beach. You know, the game's most iconic biome. Someone under a topic i posted said something along the lines of beach being too easy to survive in and build on, therefore Wildcard might want to drive attention away from it.

That being said, i'm not sure Ark 2 will be completely devoid of oceans and shorelines, maybe there could be a beach on one side of the island while the other sides might be surrounded by mountains. Maybe there could be a big lake smack-dab in the middle to replace oceans. Who knows?

Edited by Haumea

We have to remember that the game is going to be radically different from ark 1, with the whole 3rd person/souls like combat being implemented. Even if oceans are present would they even feel the same? Imagine if Subnautica was 3rd person...the immersion may not be broken, but it would definitely be a different vibe. Now try to implement souls like combat underwater...lol.

Personally, I think that oceans will be in the game. There was far too much emphasis on oceanic resources/tames in Ark 1 to completely abandon ocean gameplay. 

We've heard not much about oceans in ARK 2. Is WC getting rid of them because they're a pain to make, plains biome, but look at what WC did with the Genesis ocean biomes. They look amazing! Imagine that in UE 5 and with new design elements and creatures. I'd be more than a little disappointed if there were no oceans in ARK 2, but what's your take on the subject?

Good luck and happy ARKing! 

Hi Griffin998,

Personally, I think there will be an inclusion of oceans in the "standard" map for Ark 2. A majority of Ark Survival Evolve's (excluding parts of Genesis Part-1's oceans) current coastal and freshwater habitats are quite bleak or scare in the amount of fauna, flora and unique resources present, which would provide a solution to this previous problem.

Alongside features currently in the game, another aspect for why Ark 2 should have seas and oceans would be the community. Almost every top 10 requested list in the creature votes and submissions since 2021 have contained requests for aquatic, amphibious or marine fictional species of prehistoric organisms. The Lost Island creature vote had the Livyatan, Tanystropheus and some proposals for a semi-aquatic concavenator-like Carcharodontosaurus. The Scorched Earth vote in January originally used Gigantophis, which is a prehistoric marine python, and the Ragnarok Vote in June featured Nothosaurus and Enhydriodon. With the community's requests for animals based on aquatic organisms, it should be one of Wildcard's best interests to ensure that oceans are updated as well (alongside rivers and concepts of fishing). It would also play a critical role in introducing new creatures into the sequel that are updated versions of those originally from Ark, and those that are completely new. Freshwater habitats and oceans could be further implemented into the standard map(s) of Ark 2, and any possible expansion maps/DLC's with more unique geography and biodiversity, including proper estuaries, coral reefs and possibly Abyssopelagic zones.

Another hint that oceans could be included is the inclusion of Exellia in concept art. Exellia is an extinct genus of spadefish from the Paleogene that lived in the Tethys Ocean/Sea, a waterbody that originally existed in between the supercontinents of Laurasia and Gondwana, but eventually became the Neo-Tethys Sea in between Eurasia and India. This fictional species of Exellia should live in saltwater environments, in large shoals/schools, and could be a base prey-organism for sharks, sea-snakes and ichythosauria reptiles.

These are just some of my ideas and interpretations of oceans for Ark 2.

Thanks,

- MonstersHunters

Edited by MonstersHunters

On 6/27/2023 at 7:19 PM, vicenterojas said:

Yo creo que es muy probable que haya mar es muy difícil que no hayan dinosaurios marinos y yo creo que van a haber diferentes planetas

lo logico seria que lo hubiese mas siempre hay que tener en cuenta que si existen mapas como scorched earth, aberration y extincion que es un desierto sin fuentes de agua de este tipo no es imposible pensar que se pueda lleguar a descartar la idea o modificar, mas viendo que se esta implementando  este "nuevo" sistema de pesca podemos ver que algo asi es muy poco probable y que el mapa sea mas parecido a the island y los animales marinos serian en su mayoría  los ya de por sí existentes en el ARK, y este oceano tenga algo mas que le de "vida" como lo pueden ser los corales, o algunas especie de ruinas y darle un poco mas de protagonismo a este 

2 hours ago, Enzuka10 said:

lo logico seria que lo hubiera mas siempre hay que tener en cuenta que si existen mapas como scorched earth, aberration y extincion que es un desierto sin fuentes de agua de este tipo no es imposible pensar que se pueda lleguar a descartar la idea o modificar, mas viendo que se esta implementando este "nuevo" sistema de pesca podemos ver que algo asi es muy poco probable y que el mapa sea mas parecido a la isla y los animales marinos serian en su mayoria los ya de por si existentes en el ARK, y este oceano tenga algo mas que le de "vida" como lo pueden ser los corales, o algunas especies de ruinas y darle un poco mas de protagonismo a este 

Si es verdad que hay mapa sin mar ni río pero va a haber más de 1 mapa lo más probable es que algunos de los que salgan no tenga agua pero la mayoría yo creo que van a tener y yo creo y espero que salgan más dinosaurios marinos porque obviamente van a salir más dinos terrestre y aerios