UE5 Issues...is it even up to it?

Luizza

Took a look at other games that use UE5 to check out performance etc, and discovered - there aren't any.

There's a demo, a few trailers and apparently Fortnite uses some of the technology, but that's it.

Looking at dev forums UE5 is plagued by low fps, high resource cost and even ppl with super uber systems are struggling with it.

This worries me, sure it would be great if WC could pull this off but I'm doubtful a lot of us will even be able to play it and PVP could be a total car crash with the reports of lag spikes on the dev forums.

Closing down official servers prematurely could be a big mistake, better to take the more cautious approach of phased shut downs, just in case. And yes, I know most ppl don't play on official (including me these days), but new players, those giving cash right now for the game, will expect that.

Eggs, basket?

Just hoping this isn't all a massive mistake with the potential to take out the company entirely with no cash coming in.

5 hours ago, Luizza said:

Just hoping this isn't all a massive mistake with the potential to take out the company entirely with no cash coming in.

I feel like UE5 is going to be super duper laggy. Remember foliage interactions? Wild dinos are going to be interacting with bushes and stuff left, right, and center. That is going to be difficult to run. That and Lumen (UE 5's advanced illumination system) are probably going to be the bigger contributors to lag on ASA. Optimization...maybe. Everyone knows just how much ASE needs optimization. Given WC's history, I'm not terribly hopeful.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:41 PM, Luizza said:

Took a look at other games that use UE5 to check out performance etc, and discovered - there aren't any.

There's a demo, a few trailers and apparently Fortnite uses some of the technology, but that's it.

Looking at dev forums UE5 is plagued by low fps, high resource cost and even ppl with super uber systems are struggling with it.

This worries me, sure it would be great if WC could pull this off but I'm doubtful a lot of us will even be able to play it and PVP could be a total car crash with the reports of lag spikes on the dev forums.

Closing down official servers prematurely could be a big mistake, better to take the more cautious approach of phased shut downs, just in case. And yes, I know most ppl don't play on official (including me these days), but new players, those giving cash right now for the game, will expect that.

Eggs, basket?

This is true! And it seems that what is visible in Fortnite's attempt boils down to "not much - but it will get better in the future".
So Ark ASE will maybe get to run under UE5 by August - with a bulk import of UE4 assets into the UE5 engine. But without a solid relook at how those assets are implemented the actual impact on the end user is likely to be underwhelming.

I agree that given wildcards historically very poor adherence to any kind of release commitment that ASE will probably still be running (on official) after August ;)

15 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

I agree that given wildcards historically very poor adherence to any kind of release commitment that ASE will probably still be running (on official) after August ;)

Good point. For those sweating that the ASE servers will be shutdown before ASA is released. Stopping worrying. Most likely if they miss the ASA date, they will also miss the server shutdown date.

Although don't count on it. Take all the actions you need to take before then. They did say the servers are a distraction that would delay getting all the many pieces of ASA released that will occur for a year or two after the ASA initial release, so they will want them shutdown ASAP.

Patiently awaiting a gameplay trailer not a 'trailer' a real live in game footage - i run at epic and yes i still have grass turned off and some other bits turned down / off too, a steady 60ish fps is nice but that can vary - I play with a 3840-2160 res so kinda gimping myself but meh - it still looks beautiful dinos all textured and sleek trees, light etc - and this is on official pve in a decent sized base with 20ish dinos out (unless breeding then its much more) I REALLY want to see how this ue5 upgrade is going to improve this ... personally I dont think WC have the knowledge to make the most of it at all let alone get it out on time.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:21 AM, DirkInSA said:

This is true! And it seems that what is visible in Fortnite's attempt boils down to "not much - but it will get better in the future".
So Ark ASE will maybe get to run under UE5 by August - with a bulk import of UE4 assets into the UE5 engine. But without a solid relook at how those assets are implemented the actual impact on the end user is likely to be underwhelming.

In another post, I also put it similarly, the ASA deadline may be extended, and the ARK1 Servers will be shut down on schedule.  Why would they prolong the death of ARK1?  It's already dead despite the stakes and wheeling.  Where in this case it was possible to note a dozen or so people on the server and currently 1 max 4 players (usually either loyal to their bases that they will leave with them or new players who have no idea that the game goes to the OFF button). And it's sad because they probably feel closed in the bottle by this company because they bought a game that defacto turns off the PVE mode.

UE5 is still at it's infancy stages really but has immense potential. The benefits wildcard listed are purely theoretical aimed to impress. The key is always optimisation and let's be honest the track record of the devs in that department is...far from a shining example even with an engine that's been around for ages and have been very knowledgeable with. But, to be fair to them they did state it (alas in a sly way) that ASA will be a test bed for them to learn more about UE5. So, you should expect nothing less than a super rough ride and likely a push back of ASA's release for like 6 months or so. They might even stick on it 'early access' as a disclaimer of the....shall we say sub-optimal release.

On 4/18/2023 at 12:21 AM, DirkInSA said:

So Ark ASE will maybe get to run under UE5 by August - with a bulk import of UE4 assets into the UE5 engine.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good assessment, the release of ASA will be mostly an illusion. When they release it they'll say it's been "upgraded" to UE5 but really it will be running inside/under UE5 with the bulk of the game being unchanged yet. Then they'll convert to UE5 piece-by-piece with patches after the release date. It will become a true UE5 game eventually, but not when they release it.

Archived