What happens to bases after the servers are turned off ?

Nuro

So if there are any bases left standing on the map i playing after the servers are turned off, and if the saves work, 

Currently playing official pve,

What happens to the bases that are not mine ?

Would i need to turn on pvp and get busy raiding them ?

Will they take 14 days to decay ?

Will they be made accessable/unlocked ?

I realise this is mostly guess work atm as this has never happened before, at least for Ark.

Is this why people are deleting bases ?

Would just letting them decay not do the same thing ? (On pve)

It will essentially be the same as it now, you will join the saved ark and be have to force join your tribe to be able to access your stuff, then you will be able to continue how you left off. Other bases will just be empty bases and depending on your server settings they will either be there forever or decay over time, you can either enable pvp and 'raid' them, or do some admin to let yourself in.

11 hours ago, Nuro said:

So if there are any bases left standing on the map i playing after the servers are turned off, and if the saves work, Currently playing official pve, What happens to the bases that are not mine ? Would i need to turn on pvp and get busy raiding them ? Will they take 14 days to decay ? Will they be made accessable/unlocked ? I realise this is mostly guess work atm as this has never happened before, at least for Ark. Is this why people are deleting bases ?Would just letting them decay not do the same thing ? (On pve)

The way I am imagining it is that all servers will have one last save. During that last save, everything will be frozen in time and space until its available to be downloaded. Once you manage to save it and run it, either in single player or non dedi server, its literally like starting from that frozen point in time. If anyone is flying their argentavis, the argy will still be in mid air and the passenger will be floating. If someone was in the middle of breeding, their eggs timer would be counting down, generators running, everyone frozen in place {unless they get murdered by something}......Basically like wandering into a ghost world with everyone but you sleeping and frozen in place.

12 hours ago, wizard03 said:

The way I am imagining it is that all servers will have one last save. During that last save, everything will be frozen in time and space until its available to be downloaded. Once you manage to save it and run it, either in single player or non dedi server, its literally like starting from that frozen point in time. If anyone is flying their argentavis, the argy will still be in mid air and the passenger will be floating. If someone was in the middle of breeding, their eggs timer would be counting down, generators running, everyone frozen in place {unless they get murdered by something}......Basically like wandering into a ghost world with everyone but you sleeping and frozen in place.

If the servers were alive and bustling your idea of save would be real. But they are dead. And after the announcement of ASE not being upgraded it died even more. By May 1st would not believe any more than  half the bases built will still be standing, just visiting servers yesterday saw tons bases gone and TEK bases down to 15 days till gone, people gave up when WC said sorry we give up on you.. 

• Volunteer Moderator
On 4/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, Nuro said:

So if there are any bases left standing on the map i playing after the servers are turned off, and if the saves work, 

Currently playing official pve,

What happens to the bases that are not mine ?

Would i need to turn on pvp and get busy raiding them ?

Will they take 14 days to decay ?

Will they be made accessable/unlocked ?

If you download the save file of your official server and upload it to a private server that you own, or use it on single player, then you would be admin, therefore you can demolish/remove/wipe anything that is not yours.

The structures won't automatically become yours, and they would only eventually decay if your server has structure decay enabled.

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Even more fun you can roam the PvE maps, forgetting your server is set to PvP now and get wreaked by all the plant X and turrets by accident not thinking about it.

Not that I've done that.

When I was on official legacy, I had a heavy turrent inside next to the indy forge and it was set to attack anyone outside of tribe.....I could just imagine if someone did something similar XD

13 hours ago, GP said:

If you download the save file of your official server and upload it to a private server that you own, or use it on single player, then you would be admin, therefore you can demolish/remove/wipe anything that is not yours.

The structures won't automatically become yours, and they would only eventually decay if your server has structure decay enabled.

That is kinda important information why are you hiding it from us?  I have no idea how to do this.  Do you think you could please make a tutorial ?  

23 minutes ago, SarahMonette said:

That is kinda important information why are you hiding it from us?  I have no idea how to do this.  Do you think you could please make a tutorial ?  

Do a simple google search "ark admin commands" and you will have several web sites that will 'teach' how to admin your standalone server

35 minutes ago, SarahMonette said:

arkids.net , you can find any command you want there.

It would be just like how the GMs join tribes to fix in tribe issues today.  You can force yourself into any tribe you want on your instance of any gamesave that you want once they are downloadable.  You can install a mod to sort every single item they have in one view.  THen go check another base and do the same thing all over again.

On 4/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, Nuro said:

I realise this is mostly guess work atm as this has never happened before, at least for Ark.

It has happened before, lots of servers were converted to legacy and their saves were made publicly available, you can still download those saves now:-

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/server-backups/

You can download any map you want, still to this day, and have a look at all the bases. You can use server commands (they are all on the wiki) to forcejoin any tribe to make them yours, or you can alter the decay rate to speed it up or slow it down, or change the setting to pvp and go around and blow them all up - the save is yours to do what you want with. You can test out how it works with those saves if you want to.

And for your other question, why r ppl destroying bases? Yes, people could just let them decay, but they may be retrieving the resources it cost to build with an exo mek and transferring all their 'belongings' to one server ready for the move, I know a few people are aggregating everything they own onto one server so they just have one map to refresh until shut down and one map to download either into their single player world or to rent just one unofficial server.

I'm sure youtubers will make plenty of guides nearer the time, just keep refreshing your timers until shut down if you want a copy of all your stuff.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:50 PM, Luizza said:

It has happened before, lots of servers were converted to legacy and their saves were made publicly available, you can still download those saves now:-

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/server-backups/

You can download any map you want, still to this day, and have a look at all the bases. You can use server commands (they are all on the wiki) to forcejoin any tribe to make them yours, or you can alter the decay rate to speed it up or slow it down, or change the setting to pvp and go around and blow them all up - the save is yours to do what you want with. You can test out how it works with those saves if you want to.

And for your other question, why r ppl destroying bases? Yes, people could just let them decay, but they may be retrieving the resources it cost to build with an exo mek and transferring all their 'belongings' to one server ready for the move, I know a few people are aggregating everything they own onto one server so they just have one map to refresh until shut down and one map to download either into their single player world or to rent just one unofficial server.

I'm sure youtubers will make plenty of guides nearer the time, just keep refreshing your timers until shut down if you want a copy of all your stuff.

This is a good point. Never considered people would consoldiate.

Since my orginal post, ive come across several bases that have decayed and certian vaults and box left behind. Some ive taken advantage of. Some i just have not enough time to retrieve before the bags expire.

Some of these dedi boxes are massive and ive not enough storage space to hold them.

Archived