Gigas even rarer?

DaddyMike72

I know that Carcharadontasaurus shares spawn points with the Giga, but on the Island playthrough that the fam and I are on, we have yet to see a single giga.  At first it was just a passing notice type of thing since we weren't actively looking for them.  Now that we are looking, we keep encountering Jawsasauruses and we have to kill them off hoping to get a giga to spawn, but nada.  Are they just super rare now or did their spawn break?  Or is it just more of me being cursed with bad RNG?

13 minutes ago, Hurebhsdyrgsg said:

I'm not being negative I'm being realistic. This games sucks ur life away. If u want to progress within 200 years on ark u have to play it for 23 hrs a day

Not on a private server it doesn't. You'll notice the OP referenced "the Island playthrough that the fam and I are on". They're playing on private or non-dedicated server. Once you run your own server and can choose your own settings it's like a whole different game, it no longer controls your life or your schedule.

Also, they're playing it together, as a family, so that's hardly having their life sucked away, that's doing stuff together as a family.

1 hour ago, DaddyMike72 said:

I know that Carcharadontasaurus shares spawn points with the Giga, but on the Island playthrough that the fam and I are on, we have yet to see a single giga.  At first it was just a passing notice type of thing since we weren't actively looking for them.  Now that we are looking, we keep encountering Jawsasauruses and we have to kill them off hoping to get a giga to spawn, but nada.  Are they just super rare now or did their spawn break?  Or is it just more of me being cursed with bad RNG?

That should just be a matter of bad luck, I haven't seen anything that would indicate this is happening as a general problem.

A couple of thoughts:

I know from previous conversations that you're pretty experienced with ARK, but it's still worth noting that on The Island there will never be more than 1 giga per spawn point, max of 4 on the map at any given time with 1 or 2 being more typical. As big as they are, it's still easy for them to roam pretty darned far from their spawn points and stay alive without the game despawning them.

* Have you considered adding one of the "dino finder" type mods, not to make it overly easy to find them but just to confirm they're alive on your map?

* Also, just on the off chance that this is behavior caused by some sort of bug I haven't heard of, maybe you want to try temporarily removing the carcha's with an entry in your game.ini file. This is the command that I use to prevent titanosaurs (an annoying waste of space) from spawning on our server, just replace that with the class name for the carcha and destroy all wild dinos to refresh your spawn points.

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Titanosaur_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="")

1 hour ago, DaddyMike72 said:

I got the other way around issue. Been nailing Giga's on my (private) server (also the Island map), and have YET to see the new monster dino .... It has no troubled me much because it would only be to say "OK saw it now", but still, no Carcha's to date.

1 hour ago, Hurebhsdyrgsg said:

I'm not being negative I'm being realistic. This games sucks ur life away. If u want to progress within 200 years on ark u have to play it for 23 hrs a day

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Not on a private server it doesn't. You'll notice the OP referenced "the Island playthrough that the fam and I are on". They're playing on private or non-dedicated server. Once you run your own server and can choose your own settings it's like a whole different game, it no longer controls your life or your schedule.

Also, they're playing it together, as a family, so that's hardly having their life sucked away, that's doing stuff together as a family.

Yeah, I run my own server with taming/breeding settings as such that a person who only plays 2-3 hours can get things done.  Being disabled, I have far more time than others, so I do most of the breeding and getting things ready for boss fights.  But the settings are pretty much set around the giga.  It should take about 90 minutes to raise a giga from egg with 8 imprints and it takes about 3-4 kibble to tame a giga in about 30 minutes.  Some might say that's still kind of long, but other dinos, by comparison, tame and breed MUCH faster.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

I know from previous conversations that you're pretty experienced with ARK, but it's still worth noting that on The Island there will never be more than 1 giga per spawn point, max of 4 on the map at any given time with 1 or 2 being more typical. As big as they are, it's still easy for them to roam pretty darned far from their spawn points and stay alive without the game despawning them.

* Have you considered adding one of the "dino finder" type mods, not to make it overly easy to find them but just to confirm they're alive on your map?

Yeah, we have S+ installed on the server.  Before the map reset, we had our transmitters set up and I could look for targeted dinos.  Usually there were 2 gigas and 2 carchs up on the scanner.  On this current playthrough, the transmitter is disabled until after we ascend for... thematic reasons.  I know most, if not all, of the spawn points and so up until recently, I would just look to see if one was about while passing by.  But now that I'm actively looking with metal gates on my argent, I'm hitting all the spots.  If I find carcharas, which obviously I have, I come back with a team of rexes and kill them.  I'm just finding it bonkers that when the transmitter would show 1-2 of each up at the same time, I'm now finding 3-4 carcharas (map-wide) just hanging out and chilling.

So it sounds like I'm just having bad luck (to go along with my lame statted rexes, tranqing every 125+ rex I see and only have 9.4k H and 334 M).  On the upside, I'm not really going to need gigas until Extinction, so I have plenty of time.  And once we all ascend Ragnarok is going to be available for better giga hunting.  I was just hoping that as the breeder of our group, I could get a head start on the gigas before we ascend.

If I remember correctly, gigas and titans share a spawn limit.  I forgot if it was 3 or 4 being the upper limit for how many total can be on the map at 1 time.  If you see the titans, take them out, they are cutting down your chances I believe.

@Pipinghot made a great suggestion on how to make the game replace the titans with carchs instead.

3 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

Yeah, we have S+ installed on the server.  Before the map reset, we had our transmitters set up and I could look for targeted dinos.  Usually there were 2 gigas and 2 carchs up on the scanner.  On this current playthrough, the transmitter is disabled until after we ascend for... thematic reasons.

I understand your reasons for disabling the transmitter, for game play reasons, but if I was in your shoes I would temporarily re-enable them (or install a different dino-finder mod just for your use as the server admin) for the purposes of answering your question.

I'm looking at the spawn map on ark.wiki.gg and it's pretty clear that giga are less common than they used to be. The carcha's and giga's share spawn points, there are 4 spawn points on the map, which means that you'll somewhere from 0-4  giga+carcha on the map at any given moment in time. It's well within probability & reason that you could be getting unlucky on your coin flips and getting more carcha's than giga's, but the only way to be certain is for you to use an admin option to analyze what's actually on your map. I mean, we could speculate with you a lot, but since you have the ability to get a definitive answer that seems like the way to go.

10 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

Giga spawns got halved, and due to them being extremely rare to begin with, yeah....Bad RNG for sure, but also bad design.

Archived