Pentaceratops imperialis; Gigantic Flexible Tank

PieTheMath

Suggestion

(Rough doodle by Me)

Pentaceratops, a massive ceratopsian with an even larger head. High health and high damage, this beast of a tame would allow its rider and anything behind it to go unscathed from the front, but remember to watch your rear as you would still be exposed to enemy attacks. Its heavily keratinized face allows P. imperialis to take little to no damage from attacks to its head, making it the perfect frontliner for a siege on a base or a boss fight. Along with this Pentaceratops could have a taunt like that of the magmasaur, drawing aggro so allies may finish off targets.

Ability 1: Stance change 
As the name implies, this would be a stance change. Think something like how Amarga can change its spikes. These stances would be shown via a change in color on markings on its frill.

1. Defensive Stance: Pentaceratops lowers its massive head, blocking incoming damage for the rider and any tames behind its massive frill. While in this stance its movement speed is greatly decreased, while its turning circle is reduced greatly, allowing it to keep its head to the enemy. Damage to the head in this stance would heal Pentaceratops for a fraction of what the damage value was, so keep that in mind when fighting these beasts. While in this stance its attacks would deal increased knockback and decreased damage, letting it create space for allies.
  2. Offensive Stance: Pentaceratops swings its head forward, its massive beak and horns ready to attack. In this stance Pentaceratops deals increased damage, but also takes increased damage, so use it sparingly. Movement speed in this stance is increased, with its turning circle being increased as well.
  3. Neutral Stance: No stat changes, base wild stance.

Ability 2: Back Kick/180* swipe
Since Pentaceratops woud be fairly vulnerable from behind, it only makes sense that it should have an answer to this. While in Defensive Stance, Pentaceratops would have a back kick. This attack would deal very little damage along with moderate knockback. While in Offensive Stance Pentaceratops gains a 180 degree swipe, this ability would have a significant cooldown as the drawback of offensive stance is the very wide turn radius, but would allow for Penta to get a pesky rex on its rear end if needed. This attack would deal heavy damage and perhaps apply a wound to the target.

Ability 3: Taunt
Pentaceratops lets out a loud roar, stamping its feet on the ground and shaking its massive frill in a threat display. This taunt would function like the magmasaur, drawing aggro to Penta so it or its allies can finish them off.

Other Proposals; AKA Stuff I thought of but am iffy on
Stomp: Would function like other stomps in the game, dealing high damage and some knockback.
Indimidating roar: Much like Yutyrannus, this roar would scare off animals the same size and smaller than Penta.
Platform Saddle: Maybe give it a platform saddle, I can live without this though.

Penta.png.a363432792f34143aa4be5798869de12.png

2 replies to this server topic

My idea is a pentaceratops, for reference they are from the the same family as the trike, and look similar to one. The main difference is they’re less stocky, and longer legs. So I’d suggest a trike with a less damage resistant head, is more mobile (I really dont like how slow trikes are.) I’m not going with some “here’s some random dude that eats gigas and one shots death worms” and am keeping these as basic functionalities instead of trying to market it. Here’s my ideas for unique abilities so that this creature vote doesn’t feel wasted on something basic. I’m not gonna rely on these because.. it’s very unlikely to stay. Maybe it can do something with its really tall frill, maybe it’s a catapult (actually that sounds good for a giraffe with big horns, make that a catapult). actually no I like this one better, the frill hides you in its shadow, insulating you from the heat and protects you from vultures and kapros, or it could do the ferox thing where it throws creatures while charging.

1203328684_Penta2.jpg.baea5fadb38cf4b7d72f630a26a12360.jpg

As a dino-fan Ceratops are one of my favorite dino class, and as an Ark fan I find the cera-tops in the game (looking at you Pachy) extremely boring and not useful. So, I would like to remedy that, and fill a hold that Ark has had for a very long time. I present to you the Pentaceratops! (thus forward called Pentas). Penta's are most known for their awesome giant frill that sets them apart from other Ceratops. So I thought it would be cool to design it around its distinctive frill, with utility and combat in mind. In my mind the Penta will fill the role of the apex herbiore for boss fights. I don't think it should be better than a Rex but it should be a viable contender. (also, for those that care won't hold a candle to a giga). But Ark deserves a truly apex herbivore that doesn't take forever to ride around the map. 

So, why should you vote for the Pentaceratops? 

• You want a Herbivore alternative for Boss Fights. 
  • You want a tame that can protect your base without having to reset it everytime a an attack happens. 
  • You love Ceratops and want to see one that's not only useable but good!
  • You want a strong mount that will help you survive in Arks most unforgiving climates. 
  • You love the imagery of a wall of Ceratops protecting your base. 

Basic Info: 

Group - Dinosarus

Diet - Herbivore 

Termperament - Territorial 

Equipment - Saddle 

Size - The Penta should be just taller than an Allo, with the proportions of a Trike. 

1064865397_Penta3.jpg.c22c7b56b979b64a5272f663f28cf190.jpg

Dossier: 

Wild: 

Pentaceratops or Penta as it is known by survivors is very different from its real-world counterpart. The largest difference is well… its size! Standing more than twice as tall as its historical version I hypothesize that it needed to be larger to fend off its arch enemy the Rex. Apparently, the Penta hates Rexes so much that they will attack any rex they see on sight. A drastically different response to any other type of predator. The second major change for the Penta is its preference for extreme weather. While most commonly found wandering in the desert in herds I’ve heard that they can also be found in the brutal cold the Arks tend to have. I believe it uses its large frill to control its body temperature, either cooling or warming itself as it needs.

Dommesticated: 

A tamed Penta is a mighty defender. Survivors have been known to use a herd of Pentas as a defensive wall around their bases. With the Penta’s unique fighting style, a survivor can tell it to stand still and rebuff any foes that come. When so instructed the Penta’s assume a defensive stance, keeping their heads aimed at threats but not advancing. Any foe that attempts to attack will be struck by the Penta and pushed away. Additionally, the Penta’s have a normalizing affect on temperature for their riders. By altering the color of their frills Pentas can provide either Hyperthermic protection, or Hypothermic protection. Providing safety from the desert heat, or the arctic chill.

Behavior: 

The Penta travels the desert in herds of 3-4, and is inherently distrustful of other creatures. Issuing warning calls to any who get to close, and attacking if they persist. However due to their rivalry with Rexes Penta’s will accept you into their herd if they see you kill a Rex.

Stats: 

I’m not a numbers guy, and WC wouldn’t (thankfully) use my numbers anyway. But the idea is that the stats be comparable to a rex, with similar but lower melee, and similar but higher health. Keeping enough stamina and weight to be used as an everyday rider dino. That you go out and kill things, look for more tames, meat runs, etc. So whatever kind of stats gets us there. Again the idea is to have a herbivore option for boss fights. This is the Apex herbivore in the same way as the rex is an apex carnivore.

58572101_Penta1.webp.3a5d20dc4c3578762b23aab4c54b2404.webp

Taming: 

The Penta is a passive tame, a feat quite hard with their territorial nature. To successfully get close enough to tame them, they must witness you killing a rex. Once done, their temperament towards you changes to passive. (Note, only towards you. Any mount you have with you they will still be territorial towards) 

Once successfully gaining the trust of the herd, you will have to have to feed them exceptional kibble. But it is important to pay attention to their frills! A Penta that is too warm, too cold, or thirsty will not accept food. 

To solve this issue you will need to keep close watch on their frill. If it is red, it means the Penta is too warm and must be fed Calien Soup. If the frill is blue, it means the Penta is too cool and must be fed Fria Curry. And if the frill turns white it means that the Penta is thirsty, and can be fed water or for a taming boost it can be fed Cactus Broth. 

Utility: 

Abilities: 

Gore - (Left Click) The Penta gores a creature with its horns, a medium range attack with good aoe and Big knockback. 

Stomp - (Right Click) The penta rears up on its hind legs before stomping down with in a high aoe, high knockback attack. 

Change Insulation - (C) The penta changes its frill between Blue, Red, and White. Granting Hyper or Hypo thermic protection, or neither. 

Change Direction - (ctrl) By holding crouch, the Penta gets low and can swing his head around in a 180 degree arc in front of it. By releasing control the Penta keeps the orientation of its head and moves his body behind it. 

Herd Bonus - (passive) If the Penta is near two or more other Pentas, it receives a 5% defensive boost to its stats. 

Sentry Mode -  The Penta can be put into Sentry Mode. When in Sentry, the Penta does not advance towards hostile creatures. Remaining in spot and using its knockback to keep enemies away while dealing solid damage.

Roles: 

Boss Killer - With strong stats and it’s defensive herd bonus the Penta is a strong alternative to a Rex. 

Base Defense - Due to its unique sentry mode, the Penta is the only creature in ark capable of fighting like a player utilizing knockbacks and allowing enemies to come to you. This along with its herd bonus allows you to place walls of Penta’s to protect your base without worry that they will run all over the place, get lost and out of position. 

Tank - One of the best defensive mounts, its herd bonus and high health allow for it to be the Ark end game of defensive ability, while not being useless as a usable mount.

And that's my idea! I know we have a couple Ceratops already, but I for one would love to have just one more really solid one. Thanks for the vote!

Archived