RaephClark

Suggestion

Common Name: Acinonyx (or Giant Cheetah)

Species: Acinonyx pardinensis (or for a new kind of species: celeritadaemon (Speed demon))

Time: Early Pleistocene

Diet: Carnivore

Temperment: Evasive and Opportunistic

Wild
Also known as the Giant Cheetah, this cat is what you would imagine it would be, built for speed. Set as a contender for the fastest creature on the ARK, the Acinonyx can outrun anything, even the Gallimimus! What's more is that it can turn on a dime if it needs to thanks to its cleat-like feet, evading obstacles that may otherwise hinder its direct path. Though solitary, Acinonyx will occasionally team up with another individual to hunt down prey. And once it catches up, it'll trip its prey, temporarily stunning them until they finish it off.

Despite being the speed demon it is, the Acinonyx isn't the best fighter. In fact, like its modern counterpart, if another predator sees an opportunity to claim the kill, the Acinonyx will flee to avoid confrontation. And in its wake, the Acinonyx will leave a dust cloud that’ll temporarily blind others, so it gets a head start. I guess you could say it tells everyone to “eat my dust!” That doesn't mean it can't get to the kill first, especially in the desert heat. 

Domesticated
Acinonyx are quite difficult to tame because of their evasiveness and wariness of predators. Not only that, they have incredible stamina that prevents even the best tranquilizers from slowing it down. However, I have seen Survivors use carcasses of creatures to lure them out as they lie in wait for them to feast. If other predators are clear of the area, the Acinonyx will feel more comfortable going in for a bite. Being the fastest mammal in the desert, the Acinonyx makes for a great travel companion. And with its agility, you can even evade oncoming attacks if you time it right, almost as if it has a “cat sense”. I’ve also seen some tribes pair their Acinonyx with Dire Wolves. I’ve never seen a cat more comfortable around a canine before, but it seems like the Dire Wolves benefit from the relationship with an added speed boost.

What’s more incredible is that they can help you lock-on to your targets as you are mounted for easy shooting, and they can even trip your targets for an easy kill or tame, almost as if it’s a living bola. And with how fast they move, they can even stun larger creatures by slamming into them with their momentum. I’ve even seen seasoned Survivors equip their fast and furious friend with a unique Tek saddle that puts its speed to the max, allowing it to strafe and dodge in every direction imaginable, almost like it leaving an afterimage of itself.

Details

Being the fastest land mammal in modern day, and being found in plains, savanna and desert in the modern world, I think the Giant Cheetah would be a prime choice for Scorched Earth. Plus I think we need more cats in ARK, right? Though the Giant Cheetah was slower than modern cheetahs due to their proportional size, we can still imagine this wonderful creature as the fastest thing in the land. 

The Giant Cheetah can be used for scouting as well as being a fast and annoying distraction in PVP. Like cheetahs today, they could make a 90-degree turn to catch prey off guard and trip them so they can go in for the kill. I also had the fun idea that Survivors can leave behind a grenade, C4 or something (if timed right) once they hit that 90-degree turn. This may have a cooldown after turning several times. The Giant Cheetah could alternatively leave a dust cloud that can blind enemies for a quick getaway.

As mentioned before, the Giant Cheetah will be built for speed, not power. You could chip away at enemies with the bomb run or quick swipes, but it would be preferred that you keep your kitty as alive as possible. They can have a slow Stamina drop, though you may need to feed them often to keep their energy up or just sit and let them charge their Stamina much faster. Though the Giant Cheetah could also create momentum and slam into a large target and stun it as well as deal a good chunk of damage. And what’s more is that it can have a “cat sense” that’ll allow it to evade enemy attacks with ease (this may have a cooldown as well). You could also pick up items as you pass over them if you enable it for easy grabbing, especially if you’ve died recently and are in dangerous territory and you need to grab your dropped gear as quickly as possible.

The Giant Cheetah would be a passive tame. First you should clear the area of any threats, aggressive predators or herbivores, and then kill a creature and drag it out in the open. The bigger the better. Then throw on some Ghillie armor (and maybe Bug Repellant?) and just lie in wait until it comes closer and feasts. The more bites it can take the better. Repeat the process until you've tamed your own Giant Cheetah! 

And with it tamed a tamed Acinonyx could receive a pack bonus from nearby Dire Wolves, or better yet, have an imprinted bond with an individual Dire Wolf so it’ll have increased stats with them, making it crucial to breed the best Dire Wolf possible to pair with a recently tamed or bred Acinonyx. Just have a Dire Wolf in proximity with the Acinonyx and it’ll give the option to pair, or once one is born, it’ll pair with the closest Dire Wolf. And because the Acinonyx is faster and may go further than the wolves, its bond range will be larger than other pack bonuses, making it ideal for PVP situations.

A tamed Giant Cheetah could also be a great taming mount, giving its rider a lock-on mechanic for easy aiming as well as the ability to trip wild or domesticated Dinos as if it were a bola. And for endgame, a Tek saddle could be given to it that’ll not only make it go faster, but give it the capability to strafe and evade with ease in every direction, even make afterimages of itself to confuse enemies.

Since they'll be found on Scorched Earth, they should be out in the open desert or more open areas where there is plenty of room to run around. They'll go after any creatures that won't fight back, or at least won't hurt it as much. If it takes enough damage, it'll flee. As for design, let’s give it the "King Cheetah" look, a color variant of modern cheetah that features recessive melanistic genes! Also, the cubs look incredibly cute! They chirp like birds and are little balls of fluff!

And thank you to the following people who added more amazing suggestions!

pumpkin2k
LittleSpicyOreos (Tek saddle concept)
DrawolfKnight (art concept)
PaulStewart
AmanaTishala
ApocalypseGal
Furious33
KimaGaming
Crested Gecko

Sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acinonyx_pardinensis
https://dinopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_cheetah (photo)
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Giant_cheetah (photo)
Image concept curtesy of DrawolfKnight

If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to comment below! And what could be added to make it more compatible with Scorched Earth?

2100235751_giantcheeta.jpg.517a6d4dfac0e664f9469184aad2e41b.jpg

TekCheetahSaddleConcept.jpg.8594cf2dd33c125119baa9518739bb02.jpg

Edited by RaephClark
Needing to update! Plus new ideas!
  • Like 2

81 replies to this server topic

The giant cheetah is supposed to be the fastest land animal in the dessert, the longer he runs the faster he gets. At his maximum speed he uses up more stamina than when he is just starting out. Thanks to its strong legs, the giant cheetah can jump high and get over many obstacles.

I had thought of an animal with the following values.

Health: 520

Stamina: 500-600

Oxygen: 180

Food: 1400

Weight: 300-350

Melee Damage 100%

Bite: 42

Paw/Claw attack: 50 (bleeding damage)

In addition, the cheetah should be able to latch on to larger opponents like the deinonychus and cause bleeding damage.

In the pack, the alpha animal gets stronger and does double damage, but this only applies to the leader of the pack.

You can use weapons from his back and i figured all other cats wouldn't be aggressive towards him.

For the taming method, i had thought about making a mixture of two others, first you have to eliminate the pack except for the alpha animal and then you have to bring him animal corpses like with the carcharodonto, only that he is completely tamed when he eats them, depending on how big the animal is what you bring him the mor taming progress he gets.

800px-Giant_cheetah.jpg

25 minutes ago, CrestedGecko said:

Would be cool if as well as its speed it had stealth abilities- maybe go into a stalk mode where enemies cannot detect you as easily. Cats are stealthy hunters.

Also any cat that is added to the game needs toe beans or murder mittens

Believe it or not, cheetahs actually can’t retract their claws! Their claws help give them traction against the ground as they run, like soccer (or football) cleats! They do have toe beans though, so I’m very much looking forward to that haha

On 4/11/2023 at 11:56 AM, RaephClark said:

Out of curiosity, think anyone could draw up a mock dossier with what I’ve written so far? Like with illustrations and everything? I don’t think there’s really a fan-made dossier for Acinonyx yet.

If I had time, and the super awesome skills to mimic the awesome dossier art, I'd try but I'm not that cool sadly ^^; .

3 hours ago, DrawolfKnight said:

I definitely had to draw this creature, I personally would like to see one more feline in Ark. I hope it stays in the 10 most voted.One idea could be a certain "cat sense" ability, that before receiving a first attack dodges it and turns towards its opponent. This would help both in PvE in cases of attacks by golems, wyverns or death worms and in PvP when detecting the attack of a player

giant cheeta.jpg

Ooooooohhhhh love the Ark Dossier style drawing! Gorgeous! And the subtle markings to it (but keeping the cheetah tear lines)! Reminds me a bit of the art I saw on the North American Cheetah's wiki page for the coat patterns. I LOVE it! And I LOVE the "cat sense" idea!!! Especially since poor real life cheetahs get bullied by EVERYTHING, they gotta be wary and ready to book it!

On 4/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, RaephClark said:

I wonder if they do implement the Acinonyx, that they’ll give custom animations between Dire Wolves and Acinonyx, like nuzzling each other or something. 

Even if they gave the cheetah the "bow" the dire wolf does when it levels up to make them look like dogs going "hi, wanna play?"

On 4/15/2023 at 12:45 AM, DrawolfKnight said:

I definitely had to draw this creature, I personally would like to see one more feline in Ark. I hope it stays in the 10 most voted.One idea could be a certain "cat sense" ability, that before receiving a first attack dodges it and turns towards its opponent. This would help both in PvE in cases of attacks by golems, wyverns or death worms and in PvP when detecting the attack of a player

giant cheeta.jpg

your drawing looks sooo good!
Something I think would be nice to see for them also would be a nice lying down position like the shadowmane currently have, or even the seated position in the drawing would be cool too. :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

And as for the spider currently sneaking ahead of our kitty friend here...maybe adding the "potential tek saddle" "stunning/blinding dust cloud/trail" "cat sense dodge" as tags? And maybe updating your main/original post at the bottom of it with just a list of "Potential other ideas:" and bullet point list other folks' suggestions throughout the thread? That way anyone skimming for just the main ability ideas can see it really fast and decide to vote for it(or not) if they see something they like? Maybe make it concise for a quick reference later, too, if devs need to see what all was thought up for the cat or if we end up needing to post it again for a different map or something? I'm sure if we had dossier art it would help, but maybe posting that gorgeous art DrawolfKnight posted on the main post and crediting them and you can put my tek saddle concept in there too so people can see those right away too on the main page?

I agree, I think the main post needs to be updated with more of the ideas posted here and the artwork. The more cool abilities people see that might possibly get put into the game, even if it doesn't get them all, the more people will see it and vote. And the art is great and attention grabbing as well.

2 minutes ago, ApocalypseGal said:

I agree too, looking at it and comparing it to the current top 10 I think the main post itself could do with a nice clean/freshen up and update overall, a dossier would be nice to see for it too! I really like this idea and really hope it can get back into the top 10, I can already imagine breeding these and having adorable little cubs all over the place! 🥰

It’s been a while since I’ve updated it 😅 I’ll work on updating it today. Hopefully I can add more images to the main post or at least pin the images so they show relevance.

19 hours ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

I noticed the spider jumped ahead too and was like "oh no, kitty hang in there!" lol. Been trying to think of any other ideas/suggestions but keep coming up with things I'm not exactly sure if they'd be of any actual USE in the game. Like how cheetahs (and leopards) will walk with the white tip of their tail curled up in the wild to signal "hey I'm not hunting, just walking" to let prey know they're just doing other stuff at the moment so don't start a big fuss. But I doubt that's much use for gameplay AI. IF we get wild babies, though, maybe cheetahs would normally flee if endangered but a mother with babies would actually attack back and try to lead you away from the cubs because I've seen documentaries where the moms will take on much more dangerous animals (like lions) and swat at them and try to make them chase her while the cubs hide or go a different direction. And IF we have wild babies that we have a potential to tame too, with ASA, then maybe your direwolf companionship could play into that too where like if you approach on a tamed cheetah or direwolf, the cubs wouldn't flee?

As for coat patterns I like the classic spotted and a potential for king cheetah marks and I REALLY love the somewhat "faded" look of that other poster's art. It is similar to the North American Cheetah wiki page art.

And as for the spider currently sneaking ahead of our kitty friend here...maybe adding the "potential tek saddle" "stunning/blinding dust cloud/trail" "cat sense dodge" as tags? And maybe updating your main/original post at the bottom of it with just a list of "Potential other ideas:" and bullet point list other folks' suggestions throughout the thread? That way anyone skimming for just the main ability ideas can see it really fast and decide to vote for it(or not) if they see something they like? Maybe make it concise for a quick reference later, too, if devs need to see what all was thought up for the cat or if we end up needing to post it again for a different map or something? I'm sure if we had dossier art it would help, but maybe posting that gorgeous art DrawolfKnight posted on the main post and crediting them and you can put my tek saddle concept in there too so people can see those right away too on the main page?

That may be a good idea to add these as tags. I know there's a nine tag limit, but I'll see if I can make it work. And I'll definitely credit everyone's ideas as best as I can! I think everyone who posted on here deserves all the credit! :D 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 11:09 PM, LittleSpicyOreos said:

Did a fast sketch of my idea of the Tek Saddle Concept for the cheetah while my toddler napped today!

I love cheetahs and the bolas was the natural idea for me when I first thought of the creature as a submission idea way back at the first submission contest. We don't have any animal version of the tool in the game quite exactly and I'm not a PVP person, I love taming so it seemed super useful to me (in a way that could also help with PVP). The idea of using the cheetah to deal massive damage with one hit could work when paired with my Tek Saddle concept too because it's basically launching a rocket-powered, metal-plated kitty-bullet at things lol!

And your "lock on" idea for taming (or even just fighting) makes SOOOOO much sense and omg YES YES YES!

TekCheetahSaddleConcept.jpg

I can’t remember if anyone mentioned it or not before but I had the idea that the Tek Acinonyx saddle could spawn afterimages of itself, or even better yet, make hologram decoys that can confuse targets (almost like the Armor Ability from Halo Reach!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaephClark said:

You guys like the new edited Dossier? If I missed anything or it needs editing, let me know! Let's help our beloved Acinonyx win!!!

1) I wish more dinos could sit or lay too for chilling 'round the base! lol What I REALLY wish was that I could tell them "this spot is home" so they could wander and come back to a designated spot or, at the very least, after a base gets attacked they'd move back to their "home spot" so I didn't have to repark all the time! lol

2) I think the updated version is GREAT! If our beloved kitty DOESN'T make it back into the vote this time, I'm going to hope they let us submit ideas again and if so I think ALL of this should be saved for the cheetah for next time. Granted, the dust cloud thing might not be relevant on other maps but so many cool ideas, otherwise, in here to add a lot of flavor and not just "kitty go fast zoom zoom". I WANT our kitty in the game so bad now!

3) Oh man...I LOVE displacer beasts in DND and kept joking I want one for Ark and the Shadowmane are sorta similar, but cheetahs being able to make after images too? Heck yeah! I never thought of that for the saddle but that would be a killer ability!!!!! I love the idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApocalypseGal said:

okay so its not that good, but here's an attempt I made at making a dossier for this creature! it was actually kind of nice to make! I threw this together between last night and this morning lol! sorry if I have any typos lol! but it should be okay. I also hope what I wrote was okay it took me a while to make and to keep it simple like other dossiers are.

I hope this cheetah makes it into the top10 again, and id really like to see my suggestion of being able to tell it to sit/lying down be a thing, it just would be a nice feature even just for it to nicely be idle after taming like the shadowmane. Or like how AmanaTishala had added onto my suggestion saying we could give them some ability to regain/recover faster. 

I thought they would drop claws kind of like the thylas do so I kind of put it there, if they did it could be used to maybe craft something new, or who knows maybe even there own saddle could use them in crafting or design? just a thought

artwork used in making this Credits to :

DrawolfKnight for the cheetah concept they made 
and for the hunter on the cheetah Art by Hillary D Wilson (which you linked above)

and of course Metatrox for the fan Dossier template

hopefully it looks alright? I had to reduce the quality to allow it to upload

MyattemptatCheetahDossier@0,75x.jpg

It looks good so far! I don’t know about dropping claws though since their claws are more like canine feet than anything. Although….for the saddle crafting, we could have it require a light but sturdy material for crafting, like polymer or something that way it isn’t weighed down.  So maybe it’ll be made of Polymer, Hide, Fiber, and maybe another material from Scorched Earth? I’m also tempted to have a crack at the concept art for the Acinonyx to pair with the main concept. It’s been a while since I’ve drawn cats.

7 hours ago, ApocalypseGal said:

ahhh okay! it was just a thought, and kind of a spot filler for there as I really didn't know what else to add to it.
if you wanted another light material you could always opt toward silk also. you should! I would have but only I personally cant draw lol. if you want a go at making/messing with dossiers the template is available online.  could be nice if you do make some more art
edit I forgot to quote you in the reply, my bad

RaephClark

Oh, duh, silk! Lol yes that'd be the perfect "lightweight material!"

On 4/10/2023 at 1:09 PM, RaephClark said:

Believe it or not, cheetahs actually can’t retract their claws! Their claws help give them traction against the ground as they run, like soccer (or football) cleats! They do have toe beans though, so I’m very much looking forward to that haha

you sure they cant retract them? when I looked them up google had told me they could lol!

Well my friends, it has been a wild ride trying to get our feline friend the Acinonyx in the Top 10. I'm gonna save as much information from this thread so we can continue our wonderful journey to bring the Giant Cheetah to ARK. And if all else fails, we can always see if the amazing Garuga can create an Acinonyx mod for us that incorporates the wonderful movements this fast kitty can do. I'll also make posts on the Giant Bison, Allodesmus and more in the future, so definitely stay tuned for that! 

• Like 2