RaephClark

Suggestion

Common Name: Acinonyx (or Giant Cheetah)

Species: Acinonyx pardinensis (or for a new kind of species: celeritadaemon (Speed demon))

Time: Early Pleistocene

Diet: Carnivore

Temperment: Evasive and Opportunistic

Wild
Also known as the Giant Cheetah, this cat is what you would imagine it would be, built for speed. Set as a contender for the fastest creature on the ARK, the Acinonyx can outrun anything, even the Gallimimus! What's more is that it can turn on a dime if it needs to thanks to its cleat-like feet, evading obstacles that may otherwise hinder its direct path. Though solitary, Acinonyx will occasionally team up with another individual to hunt down prey. And once it catches up, it'll trip its prey, temporarily stunning them until they finish it off.

Despite being the speed demon it is, the Acinonyx isn't the best fighter. In fact, like its modern counterpart, if another predator sees an opportunity to claim the kill, the Acinonyx will flee to avoid confrontation. And in its wake, the Acinonyx will leave a dust cloud that’ll temporarily blind others, so it gets a head start. I guess you could say it tells everyone to “eat my dust!” That doesn't mean it can't get to the kill first, especially in the desert heat. 

Domesticated
Acinonyx are quite difficult to tame because of their evasiveness and wariness of predators. Not only that, they have incredible stamina that prevents even the best tranquilizers from slowing it down. However, I have seen Survivors use carcasses of creatures to lure them out as they lie in wait for them to feast. If other predators are clear of the area, the Acinonyx will feel more comfortable going in for a bite. Being the fastest mammal in the desert, the Acinonyx makes for a great travel companion. And with its agility, you can even evade oncoming attacks if you time it right, almost as if it has a “cat sense”. I’ve also seen some tribes pair their Acinonyx with Dire Wolves. I’ve never seen a cat more comfortable around a canine before, but it seems like the Dire Wolves benefit from the relationship with an added speed boost.

What’s more incredible is that they can help you lock-on to your targets as you are mounted for easy shooting, and they can even trip your targets for an easy kill or tame, almost as if it’s a living bola. And with how fast they move, they can even stun larger creatures by slamming into them with their momentum. I’ve even seen seasoned Survivors equip their fast and furious friend with a unique Tek saddle that puts its speed to the max, allowing it to strafe and dodge in every direction imaginable, almost like it leaving an afterimage of itself.

Details

Being the fastest land mammal in modern day, and being found in plains, savanna and desert in the modern world, I think the Giant Cheetah would be a prime choice for Scorched Earth. Plus I think we need more cats in ARK, right? Though the Giant Cheetah was slower than modern cheetahs due to their proportional size, we can still imagine this wonderful creature as the fastest thing in the land. 

The Giant Cheetah can be used for scouting as well as being a fast and annoying distraction in PVP. Like cheetahs today, they could make a 90-degree turn to catch prey off guard and trip them so they can go in for the kill. I also had the fun idea that Survivors can leave behind a grenade, C4 or something (if timed right) once they hit that 90-degree turn. This may have a cooldown after turning several times. The Giant Cheetah could alternatively leave a dust cloud that can blind enemies for a quick getaway.

As mentioned before, the Giant Cheetah will be built for speed, not power. You could chip away at enemies with the bomb run or quick swipes, but it would be preferred that you keep your kitty as alive as possible. They can have a slow Stamina drop, though you may need to feed them often to keep their energy up or just sit and let them charge their Stamina much faster. Though the Giant Cheetah could also create momentum and slam into a large target and stun it as well as deal a good chunk of damage. And what’s more is that it can have a “cat sense” that’ll allow it to evade enemy attacks with ease (this may have a cooldown as well). You could also pick up items as you pass over them if you enable it for easy grabbing, especially if you’ve died recently and are in dangerous territory and you need to grab your dropped gear as quickly as possible.

The Giant Cheetah would be a passive tame. First you should clear the area of any threats, aggressive predators or herbivores, and then kill a creature and drag it out in the open. The bigger the better. Then throw on some Ghillie armor (and maybe Bug Repellant?) and just lie in wait until it comes closer and feasts. The more bites it can take the better. Repeat the process until you've tamed your own Giant Cheetah! 

And with it tamed a tamed Acinonyx could receive a pack bonus from nearby Dire Wolves, or better yet, have an imprinted bond with an individual Dire Wolf so it’ll have increased stats with them, making it crucial to breed the best Dire Wolf possible to pair with a recently tamed or bred Acinonyx. Just have a Dire Wolf in proximity with the Acinonyx and it’ll give the option to pair, or once one is born, it’ll pair with the closest Dire Wolf. And because the Acinonyx is faster and may go further than the wolves, its bond range will be larger than other pack bonuses, making it ideal for PVP situations.

A tamed Giant Cheetah could also be a great taming mount, giving its rider a lock-on mechanic for easy aiming as well as the ability to trip wild or domesticated Dinos as if it were a bola. And for endgame, a Tek saddle could be given to it that’ll not only make it go faster, but give it the capability to strafe and evade with ease in every direction, even make afterimages of itself to confuse enemies.

Since they'll be found on Scorched Earth, they should be out in the open desert or more open areas where there is plenty of room to run around. They'll go after any creatures that won't fight back, or at least won't hurt it as much. If it takes enough damage, it'll flee. As for design, let’s give it the "King Cheetah" look, a color variant of modern cheetah that features recessive melanistic genes! Also, the cubs look incredibly cute! They chirp like birds and are little balls of fluff!

And thank you to the following people who added more amazing suggestions!

pumpkin2k
LittleSpicyOreos (Tek saddle concept)
DrawolfKnight (art concept)
PaulStewart
AmanaTishala
ApocalypseGal
Furious33
KimaGaming
Crested Gecko

Sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acinonyx_pardinensis
https://dinopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_cheetah (photo)
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Giant_cheetah (photo)
Image concept curtesy of DrawolfKnight

If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to comment below! And what could be added to make it more compatible with Scorched Earth?

2100235751_giantcheeta.jpg.517a6d4dfac0e664f9469184aad2e41b.jpg

TekCheetahSaddleConcept.jpg.8594cf2dd33c125119baa9518739bb02.jpg

Edited by RaephClark
Needing to update! Plus new ideas!
  • Like 2

81 replies to this server topic

I just had another brilliant idea! What if the Giant Cheetah could get a pack bonus from Dire Wolves? Let me explain:

In the wild, female cheetahs are solitary unless they’re ready to breed with males, while the male cheetahs like to stick together. In captivity, however, cheetahs are quite anxious of their surroundings, so they are paired with domestic dogs to provide companionship for each other. They’ll be able to embrace their surroundings with confidence thanks to the dogs social cues, and rely on them as the protector and leader. The Cincinnati Zoo (in my hometown) is famous for their cheetah program, as shown with Kris and Remus below. 

So my thought is, maybe a tamed Acinonyx could receive a pack bonus from nearby Dire Wolves, or better yet, have an imprinted bond with an individual Dire Wolf so it’ll have increased stats with them, making it crucial to breed the best Dire Wolf possible to pair with a recently tamed or bred Acinonyx. Just have a Dire Wolf in close proximity with the Acinonyx and it’ll give the option to pair, or once one is born, it’ll pair with the closest Dire Wolf. And because the Acinonyx is faster and may go further than the wolves, its bond range will be larger than other pack bonuses, making it ideal for PVP situations. Thoughts everyone?

IMG_9003.jpeg

I definitely had to draw this creature, I personally would like to see one more feline in Ark. I hope it stays in the 10 most voted.One idea could be a certain "cat sense" ability, that before receiving a first attack dodges it and turns towards its opponent. This would help both in PvE in cases of attacks by golems, wyverns or death worms and in PvP when detecting the attack of a player

giant cheeta.jpg

• Like 2

okay so its not that good, but here's an attempt I made at making a dossier for this creature! it was actually kind of nice to make! I threw this together between last night and this morning lol! sorry if I have any typos lol! but it should be okay. I also hope what I wrote was okay it took me a while to make and to keep it simple like other dossiers are.

I hope this cheetah makes it into the top10 again, and id really like to see my suggestion of being able to tell it to sit/lying down be a thing, it just would be a nice feature even just for it to nicely be idle after taming like the shadowmane. Or like how AmanaTishala had added onto my suggestion saying we could give them some ability to regain/recover faster. 

I thought they would drop claws kind of like the thylas do so I kind of put it there, if they did it could be used to maybe craft something new, or who knows maybe even there own saddle could use them in crafting or design? just a thought

artwork used in making this Credits to :

DrawolfKnight for the cheetah concept they made 
and for the hunter on the cheetah Art by Hillary D Wilson (which you linked above)

and of course Metatrox for the fan Dossier template

hopefully it looks alright? I had to reduce the quality to allow it to upload

MyattemptatCheetahDossier@0,75x.jpg

Edited by ApocalypseGal
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AmanaTishala said:

I kind of wondered if they might drop prime when killed since they're so lean..like hyenadon. But not sure how "prime" cheetah meat is lol! 

Keeping the saddle pretty light-weight makes sense. Can't think of anything SE-specific for materials currently that would be an add-in but it's a good idea. I'm sadly, though, looking at the numbers and fearing the spider has definitely got the cheetah beat! I think our beloved kitty ran out of steam at the end of the race :( . We might have to be ready to submit it next time and maybe can polish up some Ark-ish style art for it. 

Or maybe we can hope and wish hard enough that WildCard adds it in on their own lol!

I’ll have it immediately ready to post when the time comes! Got a list of awesome creatures to submit, including the Giant Bison, Allodesmus, among others.

59 minutes ago, Sovira said:

No worries, neither one of us stood a chance when someone is using outside sources in order to push their way to the top, since that's completely fair that influencers and those who use outside sources are a thing, I don't know if we ever stood a chance, I'm super grateful that we were so close! I think that says so much about what people do love on here, and another person had said there may have been the idea that WC is using this as a means to see what we like, and maybe it will be added in the future if it gets close enough? Fingers are crossed!!!! I hope to see this submission in the upcoming events, it has more than enough potential, so hang in there! ❤️ 

hopefully they do note down the creatures that keep popping back up and maybe add them at a later date, all we can do is hope and keep suggesting them ❤️ 

• Like 2

(just a suggestion ofc) would be cool if they could use there speed to create 1 massive blow dealing a done of damage maybe even the heavier the acinonyx and the faster it is the more damage the 1 blow does i feel like we need a fast tame as we only have a few so hope this wins 

Edited by pumpkin2k
  • Like 1

I would LOVE to see this added to Ark! The direwolf bond is a great idea, and I would love to see a big cat with a more 'glass canon' feeling, vs the sabertooth or thyla (I know, marsupial, but still). A cheetah already is a speedy glass canon in real life, why not add it's prehistoric relative and give us that in Ark?

Definitely has my vote!

• Like 1

So my ideas I posted on the Giant Cheetah last time (from my own thoughts to submit this creature but others keep beating me to it lol yay other cheetah fans!):

I believe the cheetah would be a "living bolas". Since cheetah trip irl to take down their prey, I see them as having a charge that, when successfully striking any animal that can be bolased normally, would trip them and "stun them" knocking them down for a short time. The player could whip around and then actually bolas the animal or try to build a trap around it for taming, or go in for the kill. In PVP this would also dismount the rider. The person riding the cheetah, too, would unlock a special ability similar to the thyla's "pounce" from out of the trees. If you trip an animal and then attack it with the cheetah, the cheetah would "latch" and EITHER deal torpor over time (suffocating and knocking an animal out?) or just minor damage ticks. It's not a powerful creature but this is how they hunt irl so would be cool to use in the game.

And then my secondary idea was that the cheetah would have a tek saddle unlockable that, when worn, would increase the trip to that of a chain bolas. It wouldn't be able to latch onto the larger animals but it could trip them. I imagine the tek saddle as having an oxygen mask over the muzzle and two small jet/rockets near the haunches, and plating along the tail that would fan out as it turned this and that basically creating a "falcon in a dive" look from above. I keep not having time to sketch it out though heh!

A cosmetic idea I'd offered too, previously, was that some could spawn rarely with "king cheetah" patterning instead of just the normal spot patterns, just for funs!

I like your taming strategy of offering up food since poor things always get their kills stolen from them before they ever get to finish them irl! The dire wolf idea is an interesting one...especially since dire wolves do seem more useful in Scorched Earth back when I'd played on the map since you're on the ground more than in the air compared to some maps!

My Scorched Earth specific idea that I'd thought of: "Eat My Dust"

What if when the cheetah does it's dash it were to kick up a dust trail behind it similar to the lymantria "spore cloud". Any player that would wander into it would be temporarily blinded (like the dilo spit or chalicotherium mud ball strikes) and perhaps slowed for a few seconds. And, if the AI of wild creatures is upgraded, this could perhaps blind them and make them wander aimlessly for a short time as well. It could be used in PVP to put up a visual barrier, or in PVP or PVE to high-tail it out of danger and hopefully lose something that's on your heels.

And then, IF it had the tek saddle, I think that things often shoot "lasers" out of those, so perhaps it could "electrify" the dust cloud to do a bit of damage and stun for a few seconds?

And ALL IMPORTANTLY, especially with you mentioning how they buddy up with puppers to make them feel safer in captivity: WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO PET OUR TAMED CHEETAHS!!!!!! ARK LET US PET MORE TAMES! ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

So my ideas I posted on the Giant Cheetah last time (from my own thoughts to submit this creature but others keep beating me to it lol yay other cheetah fans!):

I believe the cheetah would be a "living bolas". Since cheetah trip irl to take down their prey, I see them as having a charge that, when successfully striking any animal that can be bolased normally, would trip them and "stun them" knocking them down for a short time. The player could whip around and then actually bolas the animal or try to build a trap around it for taming, or go in for the kill. In PVP this would also dismount the rider. The person riding the cheetah, too, would unlock a special ability similar to the thyla's "pounce" from out of the trees. If you trip an animal and then attack it with the cheetah, the cheetah would "latch" and EITHER deal torpor over time (suffocating and knocking an animal out?) or just minor damage ticks. It's not a powerful creature but this is how they hunt irl so would be cool to use in the game.

And then my secondary idea was that the cheetah would have a tek saddle unlockable that, when worn, would increase the trip to that of a chain bolas. It wouldn't be able to latch onto the larger animals but it could trip them. I imagine the tek saddle as having an oxygen mask over the muzzle and two small jet/rockets near the haunches, and plating along the tail that would fan out as it turned this and that basically creating a "falcon in a dive" look from above. I keep not having time to sketch it out though heh!

A cosmetic idea I'd offered too, previously, was that some could spawn rarely with "king cheetah" patterning instead of just the normal spot patterns, just for funs!

I like your taming strategy of offering up food since poor things always get their kills stolen from them before they ever get to finish them irl! The dire wolf idea is an interesting one...especially since dire wolves do seem more useful in Scorched Earth back when I'd played on the map since you're on the ground more than in the air compared to some maps!

My Scorched Earth specific idea that I'd thought of: "Eat My Dust"

What if when the cheetah does it's dash it were to kick up a dust trail behind it similar to the lymantria "spore cloud". Any player that would wander into it would be temporarily blinded (like the dilo spit or chalicotherium mud ball strikes) and perhaps slowed for a few seconds. And, if the AI of wild creatures is upgraded, this could perhaps blind them and make them wander aimlessly for a short time as well. It could be used in PVP to put up a visual barrier, or in PVP or PVE to high-tail it out of danger and hopefully lose something that's on your heels.

And then, IF it had the tek saddle, I think that things often shoot "lasers" out of those, so perhaps it could "electrify" the dust cloud to do a bit of damage and stun for a few seconds?

And ALL IMPORTANTLY, especially with you mentioning how they buddy up with puppers to make them feel safer in captivity: WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO PET OUR TAMED CHEETAHS!!!!!! ARK LET US PET MORE TAMES! ;)

I love the ideas you have! The bola idea would be a smart play for Acinonyx. I would love to be able to pet our creatures as well (maybe they’ll do that in the remaster?) 

The dust cloud would be interesting. Like as a quick escape maneuver. 

I really hope the Acinonyx gets to climb the vote ladder. We definitely need our speed kitty to win!

• Thanks 1

I just had another brilliant idea! What if for taming purposes, the Acinonyx could “lock on” to a target while running, and as you’re running you’ll be free to tranq the creature without having to worry about moving controls? It could be easy to tame pesky fleeing creatures that are about to be KO’d or just skittish in general (idk about flyers though)

here's an idea, what if it could have some sort of charging lunge attack? kinda like how modern cheetahs take down gazelles (or other prey). The more speed it charges as it runs to lunge at a target could do more damage as well. Just a thought. idk if someone has alrdy suggested this

image.jpeg.8a59e707621199f415536ae8eeeb952e.jpeg

Edited by Furious33
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RaephClark said:

I love the ideas you have! The bola idea would be a smart play for Acinonyx. I would love to be able to pet our creatures as well (maybe they’ll do that in the remaster?) 

The dust cloud would be interesting. Like as a quick escape maneuver. 

I really hope the Acinonyx gets to climb the vote ladder. We definitely need our speed kitty to win!

Did a fast sketch of my idea of the Tek Saddle Concept for the cheetah while my toddler napped today!

I love cheetahs and the bolas was the natural idea for me when I first thought of the creature as a submission idea way back at the first submission contest. We don't have any animal version of the tool in the game quite exactly and I'm not a PVP person, I love taming so it seemed super useful to me (in a way that could also help with PVP). The idea of using the cheetah to deal massive damage with one hit could work when paired with my Tek Saddle concept too because it's basically launching a rocket-powered, metal-plated kitty-bullet at things lol!

And your "lock on" idea for taming (or even just fighting) makes SOOOOO much sense and omg YES YES YES!

TekCheetahSaddleConcept.jpg

• Like 1

With all the suggestions of "massive blow after charged up"...another thought paired to the tek saddle idea...especially with your "bomb drop maneuver" notion too...maybe it could have a "sonic boom" at top speed when a certain special move was executed that would have an AOE? A radial stun? Big damage? Radial speed boost to allies?

• Like 1

I think using the cheetahs speed and momentum to its advantage is the way to go. Braced on a sturdy saddle, riders can launch spears at high velocity from the back of a speeding cheetah for increased damage. Ok, spears seem pretty primitive, but they're cheap and easy to make, and giving thrown weapons a damage multiplier based on cheetahs speed plus the lock on ability would make something pretty dangerous. Plus you're in and out before they knew what hit em!

I'm thinking of a cheetah building up speed like the rhino or bear does currently, and as speed increases, the damage buffs start adding up, 1x, 2, 3x...
Adding points to movement speed enables this multiplier to go even higher
At a certain multiplier attacks would also stun from sheer impact of your weapon, allowing you to knock flyers to the ground or making them vulnerable for a bite or claw.
Possibly also apply to boomerangs for extra Scorched Earth flavor :)

• Like 1