Shantungosaurus, the Hadrosaur Carnivore counter!

Batzgaming

Suggestion

Today I bring you the Shantungosaurus, a Wyvern killing machine! The Shantun is one of, if not, the largest genus of Hadrosaurs! This massive apex herbivore specializes in taking down predators of all types, including fliers! Not only being incredibly tanky, but also a powerful attacker at that, the Shant is capable of fighting creatures like Rexes and Golems. Using a special headbutt that can destroy rocks and does extra damage to golems. Also, due to this massive size they take reduced damage to most projectiles besides things like rockets, wyvern breath, golem rocks, and turrets, making it so that you have almost no choice but to fight up close 

shantungosaurus_by_mariolanzas_deme9ri-fullview.jpg.b8440df8a06f4c9a30f07653304e19ea.jpg

These herbivores also come with a special ability to use incredibly fast and powerful sound wave to knock fliers like Wyverns out of the sky and stunning them! This ability is probably a big reason as to why these herbivores can survive in the desert so well, as they are found almost exclusively in the sand dunes. Taming them is easier said than done,  as you have to kill a carnivore in front of them(larger the carnivore the more the taming) to prove your worth to them and they will become your companion. Shants migrate a lot, following food sources, they also have nest sites, however, it isn't possible to steal the eggs from these nest due to the fact that the mothers sit on the nests until the eggs hatch, once the babies are large enough and strong enough, the herd leaves the nesting site. They are very fast for their size, being capable of keeping up with spinos in a sprint, however they can only keep this sprint up for a short time, as they have a stamina pool smaller than that of a giga, which can definitely work against them. And if all of this isn't enough, they are passive producers of fertilizer! You can find their abandoned nest sites scattered around the dunes, the nests often full of rare resources and loot of things they've picked up and put in them to help bind them together, making finding actual good loot on scorched earth a lot easier.

The shant however does have a glaring weakness, bleed, the shant is very weak to bleed, which makes thylas very effective against the giants. It does also have to consume more food than a Rex, making it hard to take care of if you don't keep up with it's diet.

Disclaimer: This is NOT meant to be a giga rival. It'd be more on the level of a Rex, I don't want it to be able to take down a giga

Thank you for reading this and feel free to say suggestions in the comments!

41 replies to this server topic

48 minutes ago, KrystalWulf said:

I like the idea a lot! I think it's a bit OP with being an apex herbivore and killing large carnivores, and should NOT be rex sized (maybe stego or allo size). I really appreciate you actually made it have a weakness. I also like the taming method, though I think the size requirements is a bit big. I think it would be better if it were more carno size and up, and the larger the carnivore the more taming it should get, but I don't think it'll be interested in fighting with you, just be impressed by you. 

It was around the size of a Rex in real life though I like the idea of the larger the carnivore the more taming

On 07/04/2023 at 21:31, Batzgaming said:

I think it would be better if he just:
-has A LOT of HP;
-was immune to effects (torpor, bleeding, burning...);
-ability to ruminate, or to continue eating even with full hunger it fills an extra bar that serves to give regeneration (giving him the title of Great Chewing Beast);
- depending on what he eats (in a certain amount) he gains a different bonus, example: Carrot>Speed / Lemon>Stamina / Honey>Regeneration...;
-roar that increases the "defense" of him and his companions;

-To tame him you need to reduce Shantungosaurus' HP by half and he will start the Fury animation and quickly you will need to give him vegetable cake, before ending the animation. This way you will avoid the rage and restore the Shant's HP. From then on, it will either be like taming the carcharodontosaurus, or it will randomly ask for different foods (it is advisable to take a Hyaenodon with Meatpack and pickling salt)

Ficha+Info | Wiki | Dino World BR~PT Amino 

There are legends that the dunes became the refuge of giants. Shantungosaurus, colossi, which you still need to look for. Formidable giants, slightly larger than the rex, found refuge in remote corners of the dunes. Meeting them does not bode well. They have a huge health reserve, herd behavior, and protect the territory. They are surprisingly smart for their size because they are able to catch up with the Allosaurus if they accelerate, but quickly get tired and stop chasing.

Аbilities and features:

1 Buff in the herd are able to scream,Increasing the protection of all allies within a radius of 40 meters.

2 Acceleration is a very long acceleration, but with full acceleration, the shanta is comparable to Allosaurus and even faster. It can brake like an andrewsarch, but there is a possibility of falling at high speeds, which is fraught with prolonged stunning.

3- The most interesting..... Saddles....

1-Start without any features. 

The 2-armored covers most of the animal's body with armor sheets. The saddle slows down. 

3-Combat. Covers the body with Steel Blades that add bleeding to all attacks, including takeoff.

Also, the shanta has additional. Slots for body kits on the saddle:

1- Cargo. Adds the ability to carry a huge amount of water, and increases wearable weight, but slows down. 

2- Tank body kit. Compatible only with armor saddle. Adds a tank turret with a 75 mm gun https://avatars.dzeninfra.ru/get-zen_doc/5211354/pub_62bfd598ff849b4aa1f90aec_62bfd5ed0925c93235f79219/scale_2400 to the shante's back. Fires RPG shells, damages all buildings except tek.

3 Body kit-artillery installation. The 170 mm gun https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/57/a2/fe57a22a091b132f8de021f237aaaba9.jpg is fixed to the left side of the shanta. It has a small horizontal hover angle. There is a built-in sight. When firing from a weapon, the Shantungosaurus falls into focus for 20 seconds, after this time you can continue to fire. Fires different shells: grenades - high-explosive, RPG shells - ordinary, in the inventory of shantas 2 more types of shells are created - armor-piercing (cause increased damage to the building, but smaller in creatures, and the second type of shell -Incendiary shell. Sets fire to everything within a radius of 1 meter.. Well, the simple abilities of shanta-blowing the head is extracted by a tree, a blow with a tail from the bottom up destroys stones and buildings to a metal level, and a blow with both front legs causing huge damage. 

Domestication: A Complex Process. Only the cubs are tamed, and then passively. Adults will protect them. There is a way to lure the cubs out of the herd. In a camouflage suit, gently throw honey, luring the cubs. When the Little Shant Remains One, it can be tamed. Favorite food - vegetable muffins, the second most effective food - wood juice vegetables - the last food option for shanta. Adults eat berries. Minimum player level for taming is 80, saddles and body kits unlocked from level 80 to level 90 https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantungosaurus 

I love this as ive suggested the shant pretty much each time a critter vote came up and it got close to the top 10 for the first vote but sadly was 6 away n didnt make it

But my recommendation is instead of killing to prove worth, like the amarga

The taming method should be narcotic tipped ballista bolts

And only the alpha should be tameable

But once you tame the alpha you also gain the trust of the remaining shantung in the herd and theyd also be yours

Size would be about a rex

1 hour ago, ExcSanguineWes said:

You might see more success with another large hadrosaur other than Shantung. A lot of people might not vote because of Garuga's Shantungosaurus, and because Shantung has no physical features other than big, physically speaking.

Recommendations for replacement:

Charonasaurus, a large Parasaur. Could give it a fear and courage roar like a herbivore Yutyrannus

Magnapaulia, a large Lambeosaur

Aquilarhinus, large with a nifty beak. Literally Eagle Nose, it could have a sharp beak that deals a debuff increasing damage taken to the foe.

I would change it but I feel I'm too far for that, you should definitely make a post on one of these though 😁

Btw I do like these suggestions no hate!

1 hour ago, loudplatipus said:

484636330_Barsbulgia(1).png.44450b4477613009c4b82f521b935f32.png

Im posting this art here because barsboldia and shont are so similar. Since shant is top ten i dont want it to go to waist so ill post it here.

I like this design and it's definitely more unique than the one I used

May I have permission to use this as the new piece of art for the shant?

1 minute ago, Batzgaming said:

I like this design and it's definitely more unique than the one I used

May I have permission to use this as the new piece of art for the shant?

i didnt make it, it was a peice of art from the barsboldia suggestion but barsboldia didnt make it to the top ten and i didnt want this peice of art to go to waist so i put it in here. i mean i guess you could. you would have to credit Garuga123 tho because he made the art.

some ideas

• its tall body would make its back a real safe haven for traveling across the desert. it would be a real TANK taking reduced damage due to its thick skin and bulkiness harbouring a substantial amount of health
  • due to its immense size, slightly larger than a rex, it could have a really wide range using its large tail (or with bigger arms) possibly even catching flying creatures off guard.
  • most projectiles deal a lot less damage and torpor, some unaffecting the dino, forcing you to go up close to attack.
  • it could carry a lot of weight making it a mobile large storage box, its saddle could also have extra storage
  • it would be slow considering its size and short legs although it could have a very short sprint or charge ability
  • it really shouldn't do crazy attack against dinos considering it is a herbivore, although a damage boost against flyers
  • it could have a damage multiplier against structures making it a base destroyer, useful in multiplayer and SOTF
  • it could have an attack that does a big spin, throwing small and medium sized creatures far
  • its tail could have a whip attack that stuns and grounds flying creatures from its loud sound

or

• super gatherer and farmer, that boost crop growth when close, it could help them grow in the scorching heat where they are prone to dry out (reduce base growth speed of crops)
  • its feces could be used as a special fertiliser further boosting crop growth
  • it could also eliminate some debuffs from tamed dinos and players around (eliminated debuffs to be discussed) 
  • or it could make the food intake of dinos and players around it much more efficient making food give more health and food
  • you could choose which berries to mainly harvest, giving more of that berry than others

A combination of these would make it a great home/farm keeper  or  a great travel buddy

On 4/8/2023 at 2:28 AM, ashgcy said:

Personally, as much as I love shantungosaurus, I can’t really vote for this suggestion.

It suffers from the same thing as a lot of other previous top tenners, it’s an <insert adjective> giga. It’s just too powerful without much thought of balance or niche.

For example, the idea behind abandoned nest sites, while interesting, is somewhat redundant. Scorched is one of the best and easiest maps to far, good loot drops on! Deep sea loot crates spawn all over the outer dunes. It almost seems like the Scorched Earth theming wasn't considered bar what the dino could counter to make it more appealing in terms of votes.

Big carnivores already have a counter in ARK, other larger carnivores, and while that isn’t the greatest in terms of representing different family groups in the game, a herbivore that can shoot wyverns out of the sky isn’t really the way to increase representation of an animal group, it just contributes to the problem of too many OP things

If you like the creature vote for it: wildcard aren’t going to make the creatures that are a carbon copy of the suggestion. Look at dinopithicus, it unfortunately is mot the TF2 heavy. Ok the bat is.. forgot what the bats fan dossier suggested it would do, and ryniognatha is (as far as we can tell as of now) FAR from the worlds mostest opest thing in da world. If you want a big hadrosaur That’s exclusive to scorched than vote for this thing, wildcard will give it their own flair to make it exciting without being stupid strong.

28 minutes ago, Batzgaming said:

I would change it but I feel I'm too far for that, you should definitely make a post on one of these though 😁

Btw I do like these suggestions no hate!

You're able to change if its to a close species, look at Sicarius. It's never too late if you want, especially since it will probably help a good bit. I know of at least 30 votes if you changed it

18 minutes ago, StrandedAndStoopid said:

If you like the creature vote for it: wildcard aren’t going to make the creatures that are a carbon copy of the suggestion. Look at dinopithicus, it unfortunately is mot the TF2 heavy. Ok the bat is.. forgot what the bats fan dossier suggested it would do, and ryniognatha is (as far as we can tell as of now) FAR from the worlds mostest opest thing in da world. If you want a big hadrosaur That’s exclusive to scorched than vote for this thing, wildcard will give it their own flair to make it exciting without being stupid strong.

I'm allowed to leave my feedback on the suggestion as well though! Shantungosaurus is not a uninteresting dinosaur, it's just got uninteresting features for my tastes. Mechanics aren't the end all be all, but more balanced, reasonable mechanics are obviously more likely to get in. WC also tends to preserve the general "vibe" of the submission too! So I feel having well thought out, reasonable mechanics is a really good indicator of a strong creature concept.

To use the same examples:
Dinopithecus did not recieve the ability to wield guns, however, it still retained poop and grenade throwing that was present in the suggestion. Also, it recieved the additional (arguably more powerful) ability to disable tek armour.

Sinomacrops is very much a living backpack that flies. No two ways about it.

Bat was actually pretty close to the fan suggestion! It retained the cloaking ability suggested in the thread, and also harvests blood packs. As a bonus, it has the all to wonderful Sanguine Elixir to help it

Carchar was very much an anti-giga, to the point where they're just a better giga in general now. It even harvests meat good too, just like in the suggestion! (I know that last bit is something every carnivore does, I just find it hilarious that was the main selling point of the dossier)

Rhynio is a case that could reflect the treatment to shantung if it were to get in. Rhynio was faaaaar too OP in the suggestion state, so WC had to balance it and downscale it dramatically to fit the meta of the game. I actually much prefer WC's design, it's really interesting that they turned the animal that we don't know much about into a mishmash of a bunch of different invertebrate groups.
-----
Back to shantung, the reason I left my feedback on the suggestion is that almost all of the niches suggested for it are already filled in the game. Wyvern problem? Use auto turrets! Golem problem? Transfer over a giga/carchar! Need to find good loot on scorched? That's easy as pie, the drops on scorched are some of the best in the game! In short, while mechanics aren't guaranteed, a lot of people vote for them, so it's important to me that people who make submissions try to bring something new to the table that isn't just "I am really strong". Other options are great and all, but that's just the thing, there's other options in the top 10 and first page of suggestions I prefer more

Archived