Community Crunch 356: ARK Roadmap Update, Rhyniognatha Concept, and More!

StudioWildcard

WildCard - I still hope this is a joke with taking down all servers. Why you don't do servermigration like some years ago with legacy ones? You should have done since years. Tell the people witch server you will stay online and which you wanna delete - so everyone can decide to change server or stop playing. But don't delete all servers, this is not very nice at your community.

Why we should pay for almost the same game again? I don't need new things - let the game like it is now. And focus on ARK 2 so you could relaese it maybe earlier.

But sadly many will buy ARK ASCENDED - so your plan is working.

EDIT: Oh, what about OFFICIAL LEGACY SERVER???? Maybe you can keep them still alive? Hmmm... good Idea? Not so many servers and separated...

Edited by IceBabe

I wonder when Wildcard will realize it maaaay be a good idea to slap warnings ARK:SE will not have official multiplayer support on every store page they sell the game. At this moment they are deliberately mislead future customers who do not read the games' journals they're getting a full product.

Edited by Lewiatan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jasiku said:

Thankyou so much for choosing to sunset the ASE codebase.  It was full of bugs and long overdue and I was not going to continue to support that ($) going into ARK 2.  This is great news to me and I will be returning!

Jas

you don't get it: the same codebase will the codebase of ASA, just with different backend engine and a bit more stuff (mostly mods)

Edited by darkradeon
  • Like 2

Wildcard please! (HI again, by the way.)

This is my Wishlist for Ark 2/SurvivalAscended:

1. Will you increase the map size by atleast 4x? If you could  combine several maps (The Island, Scorched Earth, etc.) that would be fine to start with that, please.

2. It would be awesome if all large creatures get a grab move like Megalosarus, and large creatures wrestle eachother and get wrestling stats? T. Rex would dominate if you did this.

Wrestling would make the creatures vulnerable to being attacked by other creatures. 

Group grab attacks could be devastating, too.

I believe you're already working on something similar to this. Thanks.

3. I'd  love if you add Simbakubwa, powerful Phytosaurs, Cave Lions, Utahrapters, Thylacines, Tarbosauruses and more sea turtles. All in a future DLC, please.

That's my wishlist for now, and if I don't get any of them I'm still happy. This is one of the best videogames ever. Thanks.

Edit: I misspelled "Thylacines" before.

Edited by DreadMaverick
  • Facepalm 2

Wow, they did not just remove Ark 2 from the bundle, but increased the price too.

Just wondering: what will happen to ASA official servers when Ark 2 comes out? shutting down as well ig.

This is a huge kick in the butt, especially for those who have purchased the game and dlcs on more than 1 platform.

Edited by DonTorta

I just don't know how they keep dropping the ball like this. I'm they did much better on the communications on this one but that's only because of how bad the last one was.  Gamers aren't dumb.  This is the exact same deal just repackaged and recommunicated so it can be better received.  If you do the math it all breaks down the same,  same content only with Ark 2 and it's "potential" cost removed.  They will of course be back to sell Ark 2 and it will most likely be higher than $30 which will cost gamers more in the end. 

And as I've been saying since the original post; how does Wildcard or Snailgames get away with still selling Ark and it's DLC in stores with no mention that the official servers will be shutting down??   There is a reason WC is having to give away free copies to try and fight the negative reviews and press they are getting.  

• Like 1

I have one question.  When can I buy it?

I've been a gamer since Zork came out.  Ark is the game I've played the most.  People can go at me however they want, but I think a restart will be good and I'd love to see the changes you've made.  So I'm in.

Anyone who wants to gripe at me go ahead.  It's my money, I'll spend it how I want to.

We have been playing with my son for 5 years and also with friends. Now, when the son learned that all animals will die in time, he was upset to tears. Since he raised these animals and looked after them. It was HIS achievement and his pride. You think that you are hurting everyone. Leave a couple of servers and notify us to leave the animals.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nevis said:

We have been playing with my son for 5 years and also with friends. Now, when the son learned that all animals will die in time, he was upset to tears. Since he raised these animals and looked after them. It was HIS achievement and his pride. You think that you are hurting everyone. Leave a couple of servers and notify us to leave the animals.

Sorry , but you have to teach your Son the different between Video Games and Reality 

16 hours ago, CaveNoob said:

Try, Fjordur and Ragnarok at launch and just maybe...

These 2 maps at launch would make a massive difference. Rag is still my favourite map, imagine being stuck on the island (with brief trips to scorched for wyvern eggs) after years of being able to access Rag, doesn't bear thinking about really.

3 hours ago, Nevis said:

tell your son that on PC he should be able to get a server backup at the end of the shutdown (needs to continue to play to preserve base and creatures), not sure if this will ever happen on consoles (console system limitations)

On 4/8/2023 at 2:59 AM, darkradeon said:

Lmao, you don't get it: price is the last and minor issue. Getting paid for work is legit thing (if price is legit too!). The main issues are others.

Official shutdown

Total official shutdown is like forcing users to buy the game, despite ASE still selling good and getting new players activation daily.

FIX: Keep Official alive until it is played. Do a server review, do it seriously, say what server have to close for being un-played, allowing people to move giving a decent amount of time. Do this review every 6-9-12 months until really those servers are all unpopulated and you decide to shutdown ASE. And please note that a lot of official players quitted now for your previous disastrous community crunch.

Completely agree! I am one of the new players and you can imagine how it was for me when I bought all the add-ons (at the end of March) and found out that the servers were closing ... And I note that I did not buy one, because I play with friends, they too bought all the add-ons and here is such gratitude for the purchase ... I built so much, spent so much REAL time, many maps have not yet been studied, and here - "we are closing our servers, and you buy a new game" ... Yes, I just recently I bought this one, I haven’t had time to play it normally with my friends yet, why do I need another new one??! The offer with servers is simple and ingenious - indeed, in this way it will be possible to avoid negativity among those who play this version of the game and at the same time free up servers for the new version. A very simple solution, but apparently money and the desire to sell a copy of the game (there will be little new there) is more important than the community of players who make the company's income.

• Like 1

STRIKING: in the XBox Store

This week ARK:SE in DISCOUNTED OFFER !!!!!

ARK: ULTIMATE SURVIVOR EDITION

(includes: ARK1+SeasonPass+GenesisPass = Full Game) ---> 25€ [instead of 50€ = 50% discount]

Or purchased separately:

ARK:SE (base game only) ---> 5€ <--- !!!!!! :@ !!!!!!  [75% discount]

SEASON PASS (DLC: SE+ABB+EXT) ---> 10€ [60% discount]

GENESIS PASS (Gen1+Gen2) ---> 12€ [60% discount]

NB: no type of warning on closing the Servers.

Our reviews on the Store page are the only way to warn new interested in purchasing, mine received 6 thanks for being useful but is confined to the Store in my country.

Made an account just to post a few thoughts.

Nobody asked for a UE5 upgrade to ASE. That was a nice bonus when it was announced in Jan as a free upgrade. Now hearing that we have to pay for it, along with the official server network wipe is a bitter pill to swallow. What we absolutely don't want is a rushed, poorly implemented and unoptimized game, especially if we have to pay to continue playing on official servers and even more so if years of breeding have to be restarted from scratch. You talk about creating a game which can be played for years to come. Who is going to play it? You've stated that it's not backwards compatible, which means no assets can be ported from ASE to ASA, leaving what? The boosted and fibrecraft pvp servers which wipe regularly. Everyone else will continue playing on ASE or quit.

My advice:

Ditch ASA.

End development of ASA, it was a nice bonus when it was free. It's a drain on resources and likely to be a financial loss. Redeploy the ASA team to Ark 2 so that you have a chance of releasing it vaguely close the latest delayed release "date" but more importantly ALPHA TEST, DEBUG AND OPTIMIZE IT BEFORE BETA TESTING.

Monetization is clearly an issue, so introduce microtransactions? Custom skins etc? Snail/Wildcard have failed to adapt to changing financial models in the gaming industry. You are providing a games-as-service model but your financial model remains paid-DLC. Obviously this creates huge problems with cash-flow, especially when the development of the next title is delayed. You cannot solve this by trying to squeeze money out of the community by re-selling them products that they have already bought, it will not work. Look at the backlash that's been generated, look at the effect on Snail games' share price. 

Continue down this road and it will be the financial ruin of Wildcard.

Edited by CrazyCello
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 8:38 PM, Jasiku said:

Thankyou so much for choosing to sunset the ASE codebase.  It was full of bugs and long overdue and I was not going to continue to support that ($) going into ARK 2.  This is great news to me and I will be returning!

Jas

sunsetting ase 'codebase' ? hahahahaha so pray tell me Mr Jas what code do you think is asa going to be using for u to continue to play? and in less than 5 months get all them bugs removed, add all the features they have advertised AND release it ON TIME? 

or just another bot?

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Luizza said:

These 2 maps at launch would make a massive difference. Rag is still my favourite map, imagine being stuck on the island (with brief trips to scorched for wyvern eggs) after years of being able to access Rag, doesn't bear thinking about really.

no maewings /  cryofridges etc etc without SOME of the free DLC  which they are not releasing for a while due to wanting to sell and needing to upgrade the maps first ....

5 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

no maewings /  cryofridges etc etc without SOME of the free DLC  which they are not releasing for a while due to wanting to sell and needing to upgrade the maps first ....

I think they want to recreate the early days of releasing things often to create hype - problem is there's far less hype if uv already played the map before. I'm starting to think more and more I just can't be bothered to go through it all again. I would with all new maps perhaps...but the same again, bit tedious. The magic is lost.

Also starting to feel more solidarity with my old official friends tbh and may just boycott for the horrible way they have been treated. Not feeling very benevolent towards WC these days unfortunately.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2023 at 12:48 PM, GP said:

How wrong can you be. I'd hardly say everybody would be happy with pay-2-win mechanics.

Not everybudy, its true. But many people yes, and everybody accept this better,  becouze if you can buy "Instant tame potion" i just said anyithing, not meaning, to i cant tame a dino, without that potion. I played many pay to win game, and i solve everything for free, what other people with payed. Just slower.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1