Community Crunch 356: ARK Roadmap Update, Rhyniognatha Concept, and More!

StudioWildcard

Your timing with sunsetting ASE servers really comes off as a scummy cash grab, ESPECIALLY with Snail Games in the picture. There HAS to be a better way to go about all this. I personally don't mind paying for remasters but you went about this all wrong. Wildcard's reputation would benefit immensely from leaving Snail Games and finding another publisher to back them. Also just want to say I'm pretty concerned about Snail Games being a Chinese publisher and suddenly Wildcard switches from Mod.IO to Overwolf who is known for installing spyware on people's systems. Just putting that out there. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but kinda hard not to be these days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreadMaverick said:

Hi, I want micro transactions for cosmetics in ark. They deserve it. They can use the micro transactions for the appearance of weapons/saddles/other items, etc. 

Over the years I've spend over $1000 on Fortnite. Studio Wildcard was too humble and caring in the past to charge for the dinosaurs and gameplay improvements/updates and map fixes they have poured into Survival Evolved.

I've only spent like less than $100 on Survival Evolved over the years. I wish they could use a time machine and go back and get an extra $400 from me and everyone else.

This game hasn't been perfect over the years, but they kept improving it. Also, it is a lot  easier to run now with the optimizations available.

The future looks bright for them.

I joined because some negative/misinformed comments were very hurtful for me (as a player who loves this company) to read.

Ascended is going to be great! They have changed the video game industry's survival genre forever. They have shown great dedication and love in fixing/updating the game and supporting the community.

As engineers and artists, they have learned so much along the way. I hope they can do the same thing again (they mentioned "new DLC"), but we know that this time everything will be dramatically improved.

negative comments are deserved for what has happened in the past week .... upgrades and fixing have been hit and miss - some bugs still last from the start of ark ....

misinformed comments please do elaborate

Yes i agree WC should have added some form of cash shop too assist with running costs - however in that same vein players would also demand decent servers too which atmo some are exceptionally poor looking at you gen2 also decent CS, basically the more money u pay into something the more the players / customers want out of it too, hence why subscriptions apply to many other games running on servers.

Arkas will be good ASLONG as it has everything that they said included, minimal bugs, fixes, and GOOD performance on the 'updated' servers - if not its all a bunch of advertising sales talk to keep the masses sweet.

With 5 months left some gameplay footage with the extra bells and whistles NEEDS to be released and im still not happy about the price.

Not Being Able To Bring Things From ASE to ASA.

Atop of them being very transparent with us that this won't work due to the new features and such? Letting people bring ASE things particuarly bred Dino's to ASA is a bad idea. Atop being a chance to bring the game into the futute ASA is a big chance for people who didn't want to get into official for numerous reasons or people new to the game to try. Sorry, but, letting people cross over with these max bred tames and such is harmful to that. If I or a friend entirely new to the game decided to try official on ASA I know we'd be PISSED about getting killed by someone's lvl 200 or something max stat bred tame. 

NOW

I am sooo hype about dinosuar babies, just PLEASE don't make us have to knock them out to tame them. I also can't wait for the mods or option to disable taming adult or some adult dino's, being able to tame wild babies would be an amazing experiance and a new gameplay style. 

I hope that pathfinding upgrade includes them properly ignoring you when you're behind your walls/in your base/etc. It'd be amazing and could be used to test some of the AI elements they talked about wanting for Ark 2 while giving ASA something else epic. 

Building logic improvements... PLEASE do something about terrian that doesn't respawn like grass clipping through foundations. 

Over-all a lot to be hype about, nothing is ever perfect but this is an improvement over before.

19 minutes ago, DreadMaverick said:

Hi, I want micro transactions for cosmetics in ark. They deserve it. They can use the micro transactions for the appearance of weapons/saddles/other items, etc. 

Over the years I've spend over $1000 on Fortnite. Studio Wildcard was too humble and caring in the past to charge for the dinosaurs and gameplay improvements/updates and map fixes they have poured into Survival Evolved.

I've only spent like less than $100 on Survival Evolved over the years. I wish they could use a time machine and go back and get an extra $400 from me and everyone else.

This game hasn't been perfect over the years, but they kept improving it. Also, it is a lot  easier to run now with the optimizations available.

The future looks bright for them.

I joined because some negative/misinformed comments were very hurtful for me (as a player who loves this company) to read.

Ascended is going to be great! They have changed the video game industry's survival genre forever. They have shown great dedication and love in fixing/updating the game and supporting the community.

As engineers and artists, they have learned so much along the way. I hope they can do the same thing again (they mentioned "new DLC"), but we know that this time everything will be dramatically improved.

and there we get the next bot account. creates 1h ago just to suck for them in both community crunches. its realy crazy how much new accounts now pop up just to chill the living raptor out of these community crunches.

Edited by ActionNeeded
  • Thanks 3

Can you at least give PS4/PS5 players the option to extend and/or remove the tether on non-dedicated servers on the current version?  As someone who plays with a small group of people who don't want to mess with decay, starving, raiding, server rental fees, etc this has been the one thing preventing us from fully enjoying the game and buying dlcs.

Also, even if everyone in my group finds the money to upgrade to PS5, there's no way we would buy the remaster or sequel if that obnoxious tether is still there.

4 minutes ago, KittyUlna said:

If I or a friend entirely new to the game decided to try official on ASA I know we'd be PISSED about getting killed by someone's lvl 200 or something max stat bred tame. 

If you play pve that won't happen. If you play pvp this will happen on day 2, regardless.

Try starting on pve or beginner servers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sativa420 said:

new user- first post- I don't believe you at all. Most of us aren't hateful or ungrateful and where is the tons of free content?  ohhh you mean the reskinned repurposed dinos we've gotten over the years and a few skins?

Oh wait you mean the free maps? that other people made as mods and were able to become official? .. yeah they didn't make them they just appropriated them.

You do not speak for me, or many that I know. You sound like a poorly written form letter for a paid advertisement.

Have a great day 😁

I was paid by all of the great experiences I've had playing (and learning how to play) this game. I was paid by how great this game was. 

The Island was my favorite map, trying to survive day after day, in the start we built our base in the territory of a immensely aggressive (and then "unbeatable") Spinosaurus. In much time we element went on to explore the oceans (from the safety of a boat at first), much of our time was spent with coastal diving; we were terrified of the Megalodons.

In time we ventured to the arctic, first in short durations at the end of long expeditions. In time we tamed the arctic, and defeated each Titan. Many memorable experiences.

My brother was a baby when we started playing, the expressions of wonder on his face and his excitement in many terrifying circumstances revitalized me at a difficult point in my life.

He is almost grown now, we still love this game. I believe we'll always remember the experiences we've had playing this game. As an experienced gamer I protected him and taught him much about video games using Survival Evolved. At times I felt like I leart just as much as I was teaching.

Only Minecraft compares strongly to this game for me. Every other game is less personal, in my perception (not including MMO's, I loved City of Heroes/Villains).

My point is that for me this company is irreplaceable. They take risks, they did things no one else succeed at in gaming. They did more than appropriate, they put a lot of effort into those free maps.

I don't know why people aren't seeing that even now Wildcard is trying to look out for them. You can all keep your saves and play the old game, or play another game or do whatever.

Personally, I'm ready to move forward and see more about Survival Ascended. My 2 cents.

I'm sorry to say but at this point I just want you to show a minimum of respect towards the community and make the official server data available right now...just to have our bases as a keepsake and then delete ark from my console... .its just an agony to enter knowing that in three months it will all be eliminated...total disappointment i will never buy ascended or ark 2

While I appreciate their attempt at reconciliation, I don't buy it. I mean that literally. I've seen some underhanded fecal matter in my gaming life, but this takes the cake. I own Ark SE. Own it. They are upgrading it. Not new content. They aren't coming up with a new concepts or new stories. It's literally repainting the game we have with a few fixes that have needed to be made. Not only that, but you are threating us with closing down the game servers. So, they want us to pay full price for an upgrade. Wow, not even Microsoft does that. Wait, I think they did a time or two, but I digress. They are also still selling Ark SE on steam with no notice about the game being discontinued in 4 months. I want to like this new package, but it has been shady from the start. I guess I'll wait on something new to come along and play it. I understand there is some magic school simulator out. Might have to look at that.

GT

• Like 1

Or maybe try the truth, I'm a community member who remained without an account for years because I prefered it and used discord if I reeally needed something until I left the official scene because the game had otherwise become unenjoyable for my friends. I was enraged as everyone else when this first all started, stopped playing for days, told my friends, etc, but then with thought and not digging my heels in I changed my mind. Saw the other side and a desire to move forward.  

Honestly poopty as all of this is I'm kinda grateful for it because if I didn't want to bring some postivity/etc I probably would have never made an account lol. 

SO , the SAME redone Ark will be $60 now and Ark 2 will be just as expensive  (not including maps ect ) So now THIS way ,they will be getting even more money then their first bad decision . If you all think wildcard will be treating you ( or the community/game ) any better than they've shown in the past , You are sadly mistaken , and have learned NOTHING from past experiences with them . And you deserve what they are going to hand to you !

Edited by XxxGodzxxX
nunya business

i realy dont get it how people even can think about that they get a fleshed out and bug free game when even wildcard themself tell them the have still not realy a clue how UE5 works. how should that work out to learn the engine in this short time, remake the game and also implent new stuff like they try to tell you. you will just get a new buggy "early access".

beside that noone with a bit brain wants something that bad as overwolf on their systems (just google them see how shady they are and look around at the reviews from people) they even lied again it that community crunch that you will get that at launch beside that there is even a statement from overwolf that it may be on console at end of the year

also noone seems to care that the bulletpoints what the say will be new changes is very different now then it was last week

Edited by ActionNeeded

18 minutes ago, DreadMaverick said:

I was paid by all of the great experiences I've had playing (and learning how to play) this game. I was paid by how great this game was. 

The Island was my favorite map, trying to survive day after day, in the start we built our base in the territory of a immensely aggressive (and then "unbeatable") Spinosaurus. In much time we element went on to explore the oceans (from the safety of a boat at first), much of our time was spent with coastal diving; we were terrified of the Megalodons.

In time we ventured to the arctic, first in short durations at the end of long expeditions. In time we tamed the arctic, and defeated each Titan. Many memorable experiences.

My brother was a baby when we started playing, the expressions of wonder on his face and his excitement in many terrifying circumstances revitalized me at a difficult point in my life.

He is almost grown now, we still love this game. I believe we'll always remember the experiences we've had playing this game. As an experienced gamer I protected him and taught him much about video games using Survival Evolved. At times I felt like I leart just as much as I was teaching.

Only Minecraft compares strongly to this game for me. Every other game is less personal, in my perception (not including MMO's, I loved City of Heroes/Villains).

My point is that for me this company is irreplaceable. They take risks, they did things no one else succeed at in gaming. They did more than appropriate, they put a lot of effort into those free maps.

I don't know why people aren't seeing that even now Wildcard is trying to look out for them. You can all keep your saves and play the old game, or play another game or do whatever.

Personally, I'm ready to move forward and see more about Survival Ascended. My 2 cents.

ok u seem to be misinformed .. those 'free' maps where designed by modders not working with WC and WC used them - also an upgrade to the game included a quite a few bits from a mod called S-plus and gave the creator nothing (afaik)

I am glad u had lots of enjoyment with your brother i have had similar with lots of friends and my own wife and son - and no there is afaik no game quite like this.

6 minutes ago, XxxGodzxxX said:

THIS line right here  -->    And yeah, we may miss our deadline on certain aspects, but they’ll come in over time as we continue to support this next generation of ARK.           Says all you need to know on how much they care about how they get their work done. 

and BOOM this gives them a swift excuse when half the stuff they have posted up does NOT make it in august release - if thats not delayed too....

8 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

negative comments are deserved for what has happened in the past week .... upgrades and fixing have been hit and miss - some bugs still last from the start of ark ....

misinformed comments please do elaborate

Yes i agree WC should have added some form of cash shop too assist with running costs - however in that same vein players would also demand decent servers too which atmo some are exceptionally poor looking at you gen2 also decent CS, basically the more money u pay into something the more the players / customers want out of it too, hence why subscriptions apply to many other games running on servers.

Arkas will be good ASLONG as it has everything that they said included, minimal bugs, fixes, and GOOD performance on the 'updated' servers - if not its all a bunch of advertising sales talk to keep the masses sweet.

With 5 months left some gameplay footage with the extra bells and whistles NEEDS to be released and im still not happy about the price.

I have to say, much of what you say sounds very reasonable. But their fixes/updated helped a lot... Or they corrupted my save files and we had to start again, we cheated back to where we were in like an hour both times.

But the fixes/updates were still great. The effort was the most valuable thing to me. Even with a few glitches, the current version runs great.

To be more specific on some things I think people seem misinformed when they don't communicate that Wildcard offered them tons of DLC (SE, ABR, EXT, G1 and G2) like $100 worth + the remade/drastically redesigned and improved original game! All for $60!

All of this Instead of their original offer, which (+DLC) would have costed way more than $60. 

Plus, they said they'd preserve the defunct server's saves. We can all still play with the saves of the Official servers if we continued playing the old design of the game.

Former console players like me used to get ripped off paying $60 for like a 4 hour game. I know what you mean though. $60 is still significant.

But it's better to pay $60 for an "A movie" original Jurassic Park than paying tje same ammount for a "B movie" version (like Jurassic World, Planet, Universe, etcetera, whatever horrible new Jurassic Park movie they make). 

My point is, can anyone find a game like Survival Evolved which does the same thing and has the same value? 

Minecraft is great, but you can't do the same things. The experiences are different.

There is no other Survival Evolved. I think we might all become very happy with the $60 price for Survival Ascended over time. Thank you.

P.S. You seem great.

it's interesting that we got Unreal. It's unreal we have to pay $60.00 for a copy of the game I paid for already. It's unreal that my server will be wiped in August. It's unreal I didn't see this money grab long ago. It's unreal that fan boys/girls are posting in defense of this company. The whole thing is just Unreal. Have fun with that!

16 hours ago, Huntdad5 said:

Um, that is sort of impossible, given that they are using a totally different type of formatting for this game, UE5, NOT UE4. It wouldn't be fair to do it that way anyways, it is a completely different game, a remaster of the game, but still. I have almost 4k hours on official btw

Of course it's possible. The tames - and gear - are things completely on their own. Take the parasaur, for example.

Doesn't matter if the knew one is a different skin. Doesn't matter if if has 10x more polygons. It makes no difference if the whole body/collision mesh/AI is different. Because, at the end of the day, Your parasaur is just a code, that in the game's context means "this is a parasaur".

The same thing goes for its stats. We have the stat (say health) and a number for this stat. Even if the number were to be different (say ASA uses numbers 20x bigger than ASE), it wouldn't matter. Your conversion filter would look at the "400 health" status and multiply it by 20. Done.

"But there is a new stat, that doesn't exist on the ASE!"

Well, this stat will have a base value, and a level progression too. If this is the case, just look at the tame lvl and scale this stat as if it were a wild one. There, problem solved.

The bases are harder - because they interact with the ground and with their own snap points. I can't say if would be easy to port a base from ASE to ASA. But tames, character and gear? Easy peasy.

Why not be fully transparent, your lawyers told you bundling a non existent Ark 2 to get people to rebuy ark 1 only for Ark 2 to likely get scapped would likely open you up to law suits. I mean come on, GTA 6 had concept art before it was announced and screen shots a year later, all you have two years after announcing is concept art, you guy have done this shady bs so much your fan base is gone. 

21 hours ago, Allanballan said:

How is your math man. This deal is better overall as all the DLCs is included for the price. No remaster has ever been free. All other companies charge so why should Studio Wildcard not? I could not care less about the price tbh because I love this game and would pay 500$ if they had asked.

Witcher 1, 2, 3 - All free remasters/upgrades/director's editions just for starters - but until Cyberpunk 2077 happened, CD Projekt Red were renowned for not totally screwing over their customers. Wildcard have a history of it, so throw $500 at it if you must, just don't expect other people who don't like being fed total Bull$ to share your level of blind worship.

On top of that, pretty much all of the official DLC is total garbage. Look at the map stats... no-one plays any of the official DLC maps because they added "features" that totally suck. Aberration was a half finished abomination that lags to high-heaven. Extinction was OK I suppose for an hour, and I never played Genesis because of the Aberration abomination DLC which made me swear to never pay for any ARK DLC again because it sucked so bad !

On the plus side, you now to get to pay for the same old buggy mess, BUT PRETTIER for another $60. Go you !

• Facepalm 1

Usually, I don't comment on community crunches. But this time, even I can't hold my tongue. 

In January, we were told that ASE upgrade to UE5 would be FREE. Then, last week in CC355, you drop this bombshell that you're going to make the UE5 version of ASE the equivalent of a whole new game done in UE5, AND that you're bundling it with Ark II. We have seen NOTHING of Ark II. Not gameplay, screenshots, nothing. For all we know, it doesn't even exist. But you tried to tell us we were essentially getting one of the two for free; either Ark II or ASA. For $50, PLUS we had to pay $20 each for the two DLC packs WE ALREADY BOUGHT. 

Of COURSE the Ark community is outraged! And you apparently got a bit of the message, although I think you've doubled down, at this point, and don't think we don't see it!

NOW.... Now you say that ASA will be a standalone for $60 and will include all DLC content, even though most of us have already bought this game AND all of the DLCs. And whats worse, NOW you're going to sell Ark II for the same price when it releases (IF it ever does). So you've made sure that the original $90 we would have paid according to your post last week, will now cost us up to $120 for ASA and Ark II. You're not smooth..... We see what you did here. This is a cash grab as much as the idea you had last week, only this one will cost us MORE if we also choose to buy Ark II (assuming its a real thing and you actually release it before 2025). 

Oh, but there is more. And I don't think you thought this through, or you did and you just don't care. Not sure which one and frankly I don't care.

You've 'partnered' with Overwolf, and are giving mod creators the option to charge for their mods. Do you even realize how many of us can't afford that? Do you even realize that for any Unofficial server for ASA (I'm assuming we will still be able to have unofficials with ASA) not only will the server owner have to buy whatever mod(s), but then anyone who wants to play on that server will also have to buy them, too. Do you think we are all made of money? I'm not saying that mod creators don't deserve some compensation for their hard work. But this is what Patreon is for. 

So what all this looks like is this, essentially: "Ok. so we're going to essentially make ASE obselete, give you an updated version that we're going to charge you full price for AGAIN while we bundle it with Ark II to make sure the game actually sells without any proof that this is a real game, AND you have to re-buy the DLC packs too. Oh, AND we're going to give mod creators the chance to charge for their mods, too."

"Oh, you don't like that? Ok. So then you can buy ASA for $60, all DLC included, and then if we actually have an Ark II and release it, you can pay full price for that too at $60. We'll make more money that way anyway, even though we know that charging you for ASA, the revamped version of ASE, is just a cash-grab. We will just patronize you with apologies while we do it, because you won't see what we're actually doing anyway."

Yeah....... Wildcard, we're none of us, that damn dumb. 

If you wanted to charge a nominal fee for ASA, say, $30, and you were showing us what we'd be getting, I'm sure the backlash from the ark community wouldn't be so fierce. Afterall, I can understand that there might be a whole lot more work in upgrading ASE into ASA.  But you MUST be joking if you think charging us full price twice for the same game is, in ANY way, okay. 

And you're doing all of this during a time when our economy is crap, inflation is sky-high, and people are struggling. Because you're being greedy, and you seem to think we just have all the money in the world to buy all this, and that we're too stupid to realize what you're doing. 

You've alienated so many of us with this crap. Soooo many have already quit Ark because they just can't afford what you're going to do, they are p***ed off you are taking all official servers down, and/or they simply know they can't afford to re-buy the game, new engine or no. 

Shame on you, Wildcard. This shame is all on YOU. 

You want to succeed as a company in the gaming industry? Start actually CARING about your player base. Afterall, WE are the reason you even HAVE a company, and any games at all on the market. So stop being so greedy. 

• Like 1