Closed. Ark: Survival Evolved Official Servers

ladymarina

1 hour ago, SarahMonette said:

Rather than loose our stuff could we not just be allowed to move all into one server per map?  Just keep one official server open per map.  Everyone is going to move to ASA anyway what could it hurt to let us have at least one official open on ASE?  

Yes That's what I'm talking about. Because all the money there gonna get from ASA should be able to. Agreed 1000&%. Or make it like I'm saying servers for ASE ON ASA cloud gaming can happen. I've seen it done fot other games. It's possible. Alo. No ones talking about how they are making the s pay full price for a game we already have. Instead of discounted. We should only be paying full price for ark 2.  What happens when Ark 2 comes out guys WC or SG are not telling us anything about it. Probably gonna make us pay full price to. Not fair to there loyal players.

Edited by ladymarina
  • Like 1

I guess I'm confused!  Are they saying our dinos, that we have been collecting for years are going bye bye?  Or are they saying we can keep them but only in single player?  I mean I've paid hundreds in this game for season passes, original game, and DLCs since 2012, 11 years, and they are going to shut down the servers without letting us upload our bases or dinos??

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, P0eT1K said:

I guess I'm confused!  Are they saying our dinos, that we have been collecting for years are going bye bye?  Or are they saying we can keep them but only in single player?  I mean I've paid hundreds in this game for season passes, original game, and DLCs since 2012, 11 years, and they are going to shut down the servers without letting us upload our bases or dinos??

They are going bye bye unless you purchase and run your own private server. 

Nobody knows quite yet if you can run your old stuff in single player on consoles. 

1 hour ago, P0eT1K said:

Yes, you can get a copy of your dinos, but I think only as an entire copy of the server. You can then use this I think for single player or a dedicated server. The current ARK should be playable for awhile. I don't recall how single players works, I think there is a version of it that runs on your PC that is similar to a dedicated server. I would hope it runs in that version.

Remember, no game lasts forever and you can't expect your dinos to last forever either. I mean they usually last longer than a pet hamster, but most of mine have not.

Edited by wildbill

• Volunteer Moderator
49 minutes ago, wildbill said:

but I think only as an entire copy of the server

It is. 

49 minutes ago, wildbill said:

You can then use this I think for single player

They are on PS4. The problem with consoles is there is no way to download and run the saved server currently in single player. So we’ll have to wait to see if they add that functionality, otherwise a rented server is the only way to go. 

2 hours ago, P0eT1K said:

I guess I'm confused!  Are they saying our dinos, that we have been collecting for years are going bye bye?  Or are they saying we can keep them but only in single player?

Keep but only in single player (assuming you're playing on a platform that will let you use a copy of the downloaded map to play on.

I mean I've paid hundreds in this game for season passes, original game, and DLCs

Hundreds?

ARK has never been a cheap game, but where in the world did you get "hundreds" from. Even if you paid full price for the original game and full price for every expansion when they were new, that's still not even close to hundreds. What have you been doing, buying dino's with real money?

since 2012, 11 years

Umm... no.

* Development began in October 2014

* Early access in mid 2015

So... at most almost 8 years (from 2015 to 2023). I mean, that's still a long time, but when you talk about "hundreds" of dollars and claim to play for 3 years longer than is even possible... it's not a good look.

and they are going to shut down the servers without letting us upload our bases or dinos??

The announcements specifically state that that they're going to make the servers available for download.

Of course, a lot of people have already stopped playing the game so many of the bases & dinos are going to disappear before they make the servers available to download. But if you keep logging in and prevent your stuff from decaying, it will become available for download when they're getting ready to shut down the ASE officials.

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

They are going bye bye unless you purchase and run your own private server. 

Nobody knows quite yet if you can run your old stuff in single player on consoles. 

I would not be surprised if on console that would just work except for console not having a nice proper way to edit game files..

Since xbox saves should be not so different from switch and switch offers far more ways to alter game files, that could be a test bench (switch and xbox should have a very similar if not the same format, not sure about playstation)

• Volunteer Moderator
53 minutes ago, darkradeon said:

Since xbox saves should be not so different from switch

That's a strange leap to make. We're talking about completely different operating systems on different hardware architectures. They are more than likely far more different than they are the same. 

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

That's a strange jump to make. We're talking about completely different operating systems on different hardware architectures. They are much more than likely far more different than they are the same. 

yes they are, but the game should use more or less (or just the same) assets and file format for saves. For sure we need to wait grove street games adding all DLCs and assets to see this. But I can tell switch data isn't so different from PCs to once unpacked (yes, different assets format, executable and shader binaries but not so much more as for game structure).

Both PC and switch have even the same junk engine config data, meaningless, about osx and ios since they didn't remove the relative plugins from the unreal engine config (also present on the devkit)

Edited by darkradeon

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, darkradeon said:

yes they are, but the game should use more or less (or just the same) assets and file format for saves. For sure we need to wait grove street games adding all DLCs and assets to see this. But I can tell switch data isn't so different from PCs to once unpacked (yes, different assets format, executable and shader binaries but not so much more as for game structure).

Oh I wasn't talking about game assets. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Oh I wasn't talking about game assets. 

yes, biggest problem is accessing the filesystem, sadly. That's the biggest problem also preventing mods to work easily on console (and that's why we have bloatware calling overwolf doing this passing all throught the meaningless junky sony and microsoft certification processes )

was thinking, I may try doing the opposite: loading a switch save into a pc build :v

Edited by darkradeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, darkradeon said:

yes, biggest problem is accessing the filesystem, sadly. That's the biggest problem also preventing mods to work easily on console (and that's why we have bloatware calling overwolf doing this passing all throught the meaningless junky sony and microsoft certification processes )

was thinking, I may try doing the opposite: loading a switch save into a pc build :v

Yeah - good plan - I have also thought to try and download a "console" save and boot it in a PC server. I think the biggest hiccup will be the way that character and tribe stuff is ID'd on the various platforms. On steam version that ID is the steam ID. On the other - I dunno, never had a copy of a console save to look at. But there is always hex edit, and failing all else, cheat codes to transfer ownership & etc ... So one could probably get a reasonable copy of the save running.

The map save with all its dino's and buildings is very likely cross compatible.

4 hours ago, P0eT1K said:

Yes hundreds and not on dinos, wasted money if you ask me, because I ran servers and many of them for years and it was an estimate not an exact figure of time.  Jeez you guys are harsh...I can only imagine the people who have thousands of dinos in cryo fridges that can no longer play with their tribe....man

Yes Sadly..

They are some people on here who are very unfriendly on here. If you speak your mind. Assuming what you mean etc......  I understand he you whole heartedly. I have spoken to, have been unofficial servers that had to close because they couldn't afford it 😔.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, P0eT1K said:

Yes hundreds and not on dinos, wasted money if you ask me, because I ran servers and many of them for years

Ahhh ok, my apologies. In the context of reading your post it didn't occur to me that you were talking about costs other than the game itself. That makes sense, thank you for explaining.

it was an estimate not an exact figure of time.  Jeez you guys are harsh...

It's not "harsh" to point out when something doesn't make sense or is just obviously wrong. If you say 11 years then it should mean 11 years, not "somewhere from 5-20 years".

"Multiple years" is an estimate. "At least 5 years" is an estimate. "11 years", which is longer than the game has actually existed is not an estimate, it's an exaggeration. When you exaggerate reality it makes people take you less seriously and question why you're exaggerating. That's not harsh, it's reasonable and fair.

I can only imagine the people who have thousands of dinos in cryo fridges that can no longer play with their tribe....man

Yeah, it must be pretty terrible for them, that's something we can all agree on.

Every time I played unofficial the person or group hosting the server eventually lost interest, moved to a new game or the server otherwise stopped updating at some point without the admin explaining or communicating.

So I put 1000's of hours into official and I do like to play with my tribe. Some have hung in from when Ark first released as EA,

Please just make the saves available so I don't need to reset condemned servers for months. I would rather set up my own server on spare computer.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:45 AM, Scheneighnay said:

The official servers have always been the worst the game has to offer in every aspect, no loss there.

No loss to you maybe, a massive loss to some. I see so much of this bs and always from people who never played official, and if they did it was for a couple of months, realized they were no good at it and ran off to boosted cheat city lol. Official is the only way to play ark, the true grind. Pfft amateurs

• Thanks 2

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Closed. Ark: Survival Evolved Official Servers
  • Joebl0w13 locked this topic