ARK + Unreal5 = The ShenaniganingAgain

Pipinghot

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

No one asked for all of the other crappy stuff that WC has done and yet ARK is still here.

People have been predicting the death of ARK, right here, on these forums, since about 2 months after the game started in Early Access... and they've all been wrong.

* Released paid DLC while the game was still in Early Access (because they needed money to settle a lawsuit). People predicted that would kill ARK, and yet it "worked out really well" for WildCard.

* Went from Early Access to full release while still being packed full of bugs and failures. People predicted that would kill ARK, and yet it "worked out really well" for WildCard.

WC is, quite frankly, a crappy and greedy company, on par with the worst years of EA games and yet things have "worked out really well" for WildCard despite their many failings. This is a game that has made over a billion dollars (with a "B") just on Steam alone, and goodness only knows how much on other platforms. No matter how much WC abuses players people keep buying the game, no matter how bad their customer service is people keep buying the game, no matter how bad the official servers are people keep buying the game, no matter how many times they "change their mind" (lie) about things like this people keep buying the game. So, again, you can cherry pick examples of games that failed or that didn't listen to the community, but those examples ultimately don't mean anything.

Personally, I'd love to see them take a huge financial hit for lying about this. I'm not bothered by the idea that they would charge some reasonable amount of money for upgrading to Unreal5 but I am bothered that they lied about it, and by the fact that this is basically buying the entire game a second time (and bothered by my own prediction that ARK2 will not, in fact be free if people buy ASA, that will turn out to be yet another lie). But I'll be surprised if that happens.

WC's ownership & management has a long history of not caring about their players and still making money anyway, at this point there's no compelling reason to believe this time will be any different. Only time will tell.

While that's all true. This is next level bs.

Don't like that they released SE while in beta, fine, don't buy it. Don't reward bad behavior. Keep jammin the Island.

This is:

In 5 months, all servers are gone. If you still want to play the game you get to buy it all again and if you don't have a current gen console. FU, you get to buy one of those too (which stinks of the new deals with Microsoft).

The only option here is buy into this scam or leave the game entirely.

No comparison.

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

While that's all true. This is next level bs.

I agree, and personally I hope it hurts them financially, I'm just not confident that it will.

Considering the history of bs that WC has already committed I just don't think the comparison to how Star Wars Galaxy hurt themselves will hold up.

From what I have heard from the circles I talk to. Most of the big mega tribes are excited and are coming back for the graphics, engine, and balance overhaul. And by far mostly for the wipe. Most of the pvers I have talked to hate this to the n'th degree.  Pvpers on official tend to have very positive reactions to this.

not to duplicate statements.

1- The game was bought for multiplayer not for private server rental.  (the license for hosting is paid Wild Card makes money on it)

2- If the game is no longer supported by ARK 1 who will fix the bugs or BS?

3- and if there are still such errors without support what will happen to ARK hosting?  (withdrawal from renting Privat servers)

4- Some prefer PVP Some want PVE matter of preference.  But disabling ARK1 is already absurd description says "Cleaning" not deleting servers.

5-The product we have contains a critical bug that has been reported by players more than once.  Description of purchase Multiplayer game.  Now it will be one person with Bugs, I have the right to return the purchased game if it is frequently found in a critical error. And that's a more serious problem for a Wild Card.Because they will give up Cheese Rental. Either way, it can have a very negative effect.

Anyway, PS4 save files are not and probably won't be available.  As I wrote in the above mentioned post, link at the top.

A simple business model for maintaining ARK 1 introducing micropayments.  If I keep what msm has, I'll gladly buy this and that to support developers but will I continue to support Wild Card No Absolutely No (naturally if he doesn't change his mind about removing the ARK1 Servers.

• Thanks 1

Considering only Ark and Fromsoft games are worth paying I’ll have no problem paying the $50. 

Ark is the game I dreamed would exist as a child growing up in the 90s. Until there is a clone there’s no experience that is even close. I cannot imagine ever caring about a game like Rust where there are no tames.

• Thanks 2

On 4/7/2023 at 2:43 AM, Voidtoker said:

Considering only Ark and Fromsoft games are worth paying I’ll have no problem paying the $50. 

There are so many other amazing games out there that are well worth your time. Don't limit yourself-explore! Besides, ARK may be worth paying for, but with your experience with wildcard, do you think ASA and ARK 2 will be worth it? I'm no cynic, but it seems like Wildcard's greed is only going to get worse. Think on this for a moment.

Cheers, good luck, and have a great rest of your day!

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit split and surprisingly sympathetic to Wildcard. In the past, it felt like something odd was happening, but I thought it was just small company growing pains. I had no clue about the underlying drama until a couple months ago. I sure had lots of opinions on the game, lol...very passionate ones.

My lingering frustration as a single/pve player  does not really match the current situation. I suppose, after much learning and trial and error, that my main issues stem from general crappy performance on old gen consoles and the lack of save point control for console users. While seemingly impossible currently on Xbox, at least PS4 has something ...however cumbersome. I bought the game twice already...including the expansion packs...minus Gen for one of the systems. Now I pay $15 per month to play it on Xbox. I think I could ditch the "Ultimate" since I owe it and save $5 per month.. Anyhow, constant crashing led me to switch between systems. I also lost everything several times to poor updates and bad game crashes that wiped my character. 

I have come to accept that console performance is never going to be great, but what is not acceptable is losing everything because no one thinks to allow a proper save and recovery system. I can play with lousy graphics and maybe a touch of lag here and there...but losing everything several times really makes me question how I spend my "fun money".  I would hope that any newly revamped Ark would include something to make me feel secure about investing my fun time and fun money into Ark.

Since I have never had a "next gen" console, I have no clue how well they currently run the game. if it is seemless, I would indeed feel bad about having to buy the game all over again. Personally, I supported paying, I think I said upwards of $100 for a version of Ark...that actually worked well.  That is excessive, but the parts of this game that work and that I like, I really like.  I still have no clue why a single player can control absolutely every aspect of the game except for mutation rates...but what do I know? :-)

So it is obvious now that making an old gen friendly revamped Ark is not feasible considering what UE5 can do for the next gen consoles. For we old gen console owners who have been putting off the upgrades...for whatever reason, maybe the time is now and honestly... a UE5 remaster and hopefully a few dozen good fixes will be worth the money. And hopefully they are serious about "longevity" and this fix lasts at least 5 years.

8 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

There are so many other amazing games out there that are well worth your time. Don't limit yourself-explore! Besides, ARK may be worth paying for, but with your experience with wildcard, do you think ASA and ARK 2 will be worth it? I'm no cynic, but it seems like Wildcard's greed is only going to get worse. Think on this for a moment.

No, there are not. I have tried them, trust me.

I could play Ark for another 10 years. I could not find enjoyment in 10 minutes of Conan’s Exiles.

NOTHING like Ark exists. Rust? No interest. I want to capture animals and breed them.

Id pay $100 for a remaster, EASY. There’s legit nothing else I will spend money on other than new Fromsoft.

Monster Hunter? Laughably horrible. 

It’s a desert out there. I have bought and returned more than 20 games within 2 hours. I am very very picky and I think 99% of what is produced is utter trash.

32 minutes ago, Voidtoker said:

I could play Ark for another 10 years. I could not find enjoyment in 10 minutes of Conan’s Exiles.

NOTHING like Ark exists. Rust? No interest. I want to capture animals and breed them.

Id pay $100 for a remaster, EASY. There’s legit nothing else I will spend money on other than new Fromsoft.

Monster Hunter? Laughably horrible. 

It’s a desert out there. I have bought and returned more than 20 games within 2 hours. I am very very picky and I think 99% of what is produced is utter trash.

God of War Ragnarok, the RE4 remake, and Horizon FW are just a few new games I've bought over the last year or so that were 100% worth the money.

Hey... to each their own, but there are great games coming out all the time. Jedi Survivor looks pretty good and is possibly my next purchase.

Ark for another 10 years? I guess I just dont share the same enthusiasm for breeding as some do. Again, to each their own.

18 hours ago, Voidtoker said:

Well, in that case, you either haven't tried enough or you're a very specific person. Besides...there's always PixArk as the last resort. Anyways, if you're a fan of survival games, have you tried Subnautica? And if you're a fan of capturing and breeding animals, then you could always become a farmer. Or you could play Minecraft. There are options, I promise you.

23 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

God of War Ragnarok, the RE4 remake, and Horizon FW are just a few new games I've bought over the last year or so that were 100% worth the money.

Hey... to each their own, but there are great games coming out all the time. Jedi Survivor looks pretty good and is possibly my next purchase.

Ark for another 10 years? I guess I just dont share the same enthusiasm for breeding as some do. Again, to each their own.

God of War? Bruh, I play Fromsoft games, why I want some watered down, mediocre trash that is more or a movie than a game? 

Have never enjoyed Resident Evil. I’d throw money at Left for Dead 3 though.

I’ve watched Horizon and it looks cool but not my kind of game.

ARK has issues but this is the game I dreamt about as a kid 20 years ago. Other than a clone almost nothing could capture my interest in the same way. 

Theres nothing even remotely similar. 

5 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Well, in that case, you either haven't tried enough or you're a very specific person. Besides...there's always PixArk as the last resort. Anyways, if you're a fan of survival games, have you tried Subnautica? And if you're a fan of capturing and breeding animals, then you could always become a farmer. Or you could play Minecraft. There are options, I promise you.

I’m an incredibly specific person. Have yet to meet someone as picky as I am.

Why do I need suggestions? Ark is being supported. I haven’t even explored the water in Ark since release so I doubt Subnautica would interest me.

No need for Minecraft as building is not my appeal. Taming and breeding is 99.99999% of the appeal and no other game has a system that even comes close.

32 minutes ago, Voidtoker said:

God of War? Bruh, I play Fromsoft games, why I want some watered down, mediocre trash that is more or a movie than a game? 

Have never enjoyed Resident Evil. I’d throw money at Left for Dead 3 though.

I’ve watched Horizon and it looks cool but not my kind of game.

ARK has issues but this is the game I dreamt about as a kid 20 years ago. Other than a clone almost nothing could capture my interest in the same way. 

Theres nothing even remotely similar. 

Ragnarok is mediocre watered down trash lol ok. Well I tried. Good day sir.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:55 AM, St1ckyBandit said:

Ragnarok is mediocre watered down trash lol ok. Well I tried. Good day sir.

The engine in God of War is so simple that I would need to have been paralyzed in a car wreck to find it interesting. Taming a max lvl Giga on official servers with raw meat would be more entertaining to me than that movie masquerading as a video game.

36 minutes ago, Voidtoker said:

The engine in God of War is so simple that I would need to have been paralyzed in a car wreck to find it interesting. Taming a max lvl Giga on official servers with raw meat would be more entertaining to me than that movie masquerading as a video game.

Whats the engine have to do with anything? The combat is engaging and really fun. The world was amazing and a blast to explore. Yeah it also has a cool movie-like story. Thats a bad thing ?

Edited by St1ckyBandit

9 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Whats the engine have to do with anything? The combat is engaging and really fun. The world was amazing and a blast to explore. Yeah it also has a cool movie-like story. Thats a bad thing ?

The combat is SIMPLE. A 7 year old child could beat and play the games. It makes DMC look loose it has an advanced engine and that engine is trash too.

For me, the engine is 99.9% of the pull. I get a game, swing the sword and based on how that animation feels I keep or uninstall the game. Story could not be any less important to me. Hell, I have no idea what the story of Ark is and I’ll never care to find out. Zero pull.

There's a reason that no matter what people say you cannot compare Ark to Rust, 7 Days to Die or Conan or many other games because it does one thing literally no game has done at all in any genre to this degree or even as fundamentally well as Ark does even in its bare bones of mechanics and such.

It let's you survive with dinosaurs you can tame.

For the person who plays Ark cause of the dinosaurs and the experience of taming and surviving and traveling and harvesting resources the way Ark does they will likely never or already don't like those other games and none of them have that much in common with Ark besides being a survival game.

There's a reason dinosaur survival game is not what makes this game what it is, it's what they do with the concept. Many other survival games with dinosaurs exist but they don't do this, to this scale, level, or form.

I'm going to give another example of an obscure dinosaur game genre type that many people won't guess even if they tried.

Did you try?

Did you think Dinosaur Park Management Simulator?

You'd be wrong.

It's Dinosaur Creation Sandbox.

This is something I have seen in virtually no game. Nothing like it. You can say you can mutate a dinosaur in Ark to get different stats or colors, or do relatively the same thing in Jurassic World but this is not what I'm talking about and that is about as deep in that definition as a puddle.

Have you ever thought of being able to make dinosaur species? Like Spore? How you could even use the basic building blocks of dinos given to you to mix and match and create something new?

One game has something like this that I'm sure no one has heard of.

Dino Island

It's an extremely old game that has literal polygon graphics that could put even Ark in 2015 on subzero graphics to shame in the bottom of technology. The dinosaurs look like geometric paper dinosaurs with a cartoon theme and most of the mechanics aren't even as developed and open as later games in the park management genre.

But the one thing it let's you do is create dinosaurs.

Yes. Actual dinosaurs. It has a lab screen where you can squish 2 dinos together and create a hybrid that can then be used to choose a few basic but extremely complex for its time options on its physical appearance and stats based on the dinosaurs used. It can even go in increments. Want a T Rex with a Brontosaurus head and neck? Make him but don't forget to feed him. Want Flourescent purple Raptors with feathers? You can also make that. Want to make the Ultimasaurus from Jurassic Ark? You can slap not just the Triceratops frill and horn but the Anky tail and even it's armor onto a Therapod or any other creature. This game is so old it doesn't even have a dedicated free form unlimited funds mode and you can do this in it.

That is what Ark in a nutshell is. A game of a genre that does something nothing else does and even comes close to. To the point that even if the dinosaurs are not historically accurate to our knowledge and it set the standard for the bottom of early access and bugginess it still holds strong to their fan base. If there was a higher quality version of Ark that hadn't suffered as much I'm sure it would literally be one of the biggest survival games in the world, which Ark still kinda is a little cause it's very important to lots of people and many people love it.

This is for the people who don't understand why some people don't want to move away from Ark, even if you dont consider the fact that thousands of hours are being thrown away for them if they dont download the world saves after and losing the servers functionality as community ecosystems they stayed and played this game because of what it is and not just because they spent all that time. Its why they spent it.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, HippoTheGreat said:

Some people are absolutely ridiculous, cant prove anything but making wild accusations not realize over 100+ games work with Overwolf

You have every right to like Overwolf, that doesn't change the basic fact that the vast majority of their installs were forced on players, in a truly free market they would barely exist.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:03 PM, Griffin998 said:

Perhaps for you there is, not for me. I am incredibly picky and have have asked for a refund from Microsoft over 20 times.

I legitimately load the game, swing the weapon and based on the feel of that animation I know whether or not I’ll enjoy the game. That new Wo Long game has animations worse than DS1, embarrassing. 

Fromsoft and Ark is it for me. I don’t need another game.

• Confused 1