Community Crunch 355: ARK Roadmap, EVO Event, and More!

StudioWildcard

I browsed a bit to get some info on UE5 and to my understanding the engine was created specifically to allow UE4 games to be ported over to UE5. In other words UE5 can effectively re-create the results of UE4 without all the bells and whistles of course.  Just like Fortnite UE5 runs on PS4/Xbox atm. To me it seems possible the upgrade could have been done on those systems keeping player progression etc. Couple that with shutting down the official servers on day 1 of ASA (when the last paid for DLC was 2yrs ago and normally most games keep these running for 5-8yrs after that point) it's undoubtedly a  way to force players into a brand new full price purchase and an anti-consumer tactic to simply re-package the game, re-title it as a new game to justify a full price in place of Ark2.

Lastly, as you're still selling ARK1, have you changed the description to reflect that service is being removed in a few months? Or people who are just buying it and trying it out will come to find out in 5 months that service disappears? Even though I'm not using public servers and will not be affected, I still think this move is a bad one and if you just sit back and not protest, it opens the door to more anti-consumer moves being made with impunity. 

At the very least, if you worry that Ark2 will not have anywhere near the success and appeal as Ark1, you could have done the Free basic upgrade and then turn it into a live service game running along side (releasing new paid for DLCs/skins etc) with potential crossover of assets etc since the engine will be the same without going down this greediest route. 

Anyways...it's just a game, so although I can't be upset about a game, the mentality I see does bug me though.

Edited by KingOfAshes
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

Because its illogical to assume that they would keep them up forever.

Maybe developers can give us some option for example:

1. create new official premium paid servers connected to free official cluster
  2. set up good affordable price for it - better than typical Nitrado, because of mass customers discount
  3. make premium paid server much more stable
  4. make special "exodus" engram - kind of transfer storage box with unlimited weight and storage space - that will help to carry stuff from free to paid servers in more convenient way that dumb transmitter transfers
  5. wipe out free servers whenever they want to

But it need some effort and to have good will.

25 minutes ago, KingOfAshes said:

I browsed a bit to get some info on UE5 and to my understanding the engine was created specifically to allow UE4 games to be ported over to UE5. In other words UE5 can effectively re-create the results of UE4 without all the bells and whistles of course.  Just like Fortnite UE5 runs on PS4/Xbox atm. To me it seems possible the upgrade could have been done on those systems keeping player progression etc. Couple that with shutting down the official servers on day 1 of ASA (when the last paid for DLC was 2yrs ago and normally most games keep these running for 5-8yrs after that point) it's undoubtedly a  way to force players into a brand new full price purchase and an anti-consumer tactic to simply re-package the game, re-title it as a new game to justify a full price in place of Ark2.

Lastly, as you're still selling ARK1, have you changed the description to reflect that service is being removed in a few months? Or people who are just buying it and trying it out will come to find out in 5 months that service disappears? Even though I'm not using public servers and will not be affected, I still think this move is a bad one and if you just sit back and not protest, it opens the door to more anti-consumer moves being made with impunity. 

At the very least, if you worry that Ark2 will not have anywhere near the success and appeal as Ark1, you could have done the Free basic upgrade and then turn it into a live service game running along side (releasing new paid for DLCs/skins etc) with potential crossover of assets etc since the engine will be the same without going down this greediest route. 

Anyways...it's just a game, so although I can't be upset about a game, the mentality I see does bug me though.

yes unreal engine project always allowed to be port-forwarded. Of course some versions passages (like 4.5 to 4.6) are less time and resource demanding than others (4.26/4.27 to 5.0). Code must be refactored and sometimes changed to handle some deep changes but not rewritten all from 0. Models have to be recooked as well (that was expected from begin, current PC ARK version uses 4.2 still 4.2 model file-format), same as effects.

26 minutes ago, slejo said:

Maybe developers can give us some option for example:

1. create new official premium paid servers connected to free official cluster
  2. set up good affordable price for it - better than typical Nitrado, because of mass customers discount
  3. make premium paid server much more stable
  4. make special "exodus" engram - kind of transfer storage box with unlimited weight and storage space - that will help to carry stuff from free to paid servers in more convenient way that dumb transmitter transfers
  5. wipe out free servers whenever they want to

But it need some effort and to have good will.

if they cared so much about server prices they would have done something already, like shut down all legacy, close very-very-low/really unpopulated servers, tweaking server settings to allow more people playing (eg: make those 70 slot really work for real). Nothing of this has being done since 2019 where some legacy (mostly pvp) have been shut down.

Edited by darkradeon

You guys are seriously screwing everyone and it's Insulting that you think a graphics engine change should equate to everyone buying the entire game again. Good luck with that. You are going to lose a butt load of the community and money. Not to mention that you are totally screwing the PS4 users who won't even be able to play official on Ark 1, but also won't be able to play Ark 2.

13 minutes ago, Hurox said:

you think a graphics engine change should equate to everyone buying the entire game again

You're right, I don't know exact percentage of people playing with Epic Settings. However, I know that many players deliberately turn off the bells and whistles to Low Details to have a faster and more visible game (the vast majority of PVP players do this).  It's just that for many players, the graphical change doesn't matter much.

The case of the mysterious DLC, which would be created this year, is different. I'd gladly spend a few bucks on that. However, I think that such a general statement is intended to confuse our minds. Just another unclear promise we should not trust.

Edited by slejo

" The community’s support continues to be incredibly humbling and inspiring for the team, and that enthusiasm helps drive us toward creating the ultimate survival franchise."

If this isn't clear @StudioWildcard you just lost the community support indefinitely unless you find a way to change all what you announced. And just to be clear: ARK2 delay is the last of the issues.

Edited by darkradeon
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, slejo said:

You're right, I don't know exact percentage of people playing with Epic Settings. However, I know that many players deliberately turn off the bells and whistles to Low Details to have a faster and more visible game (the vast majority of PVP players do this).  It's just that for many players, the graphical change doesn't matter much.

The case of the mysterious DLC, which would be created this year, is different. I'd gladly spend a few bucks on that. However, I think that such a general statement is intended to confuse our minds. Just another unclear promise we should not trust.

I feel like the smart decision would have been to push back ark 2 and start monetizing ark on console and pc or just release more paid dlc AFTER the FREE ue5 update. Sell skins ffs.

Sorry WC and Snail Games you don't get to all of the sudden have it purely your way just for profit. I was okay with the delay from Q4 2022 until Q2 or Q3 of 2023. The delay, from what was somewhat hinted of Q2 or Q3 2023 until Q4 of 2024 is disappointing, but at the end of the day most of us can stomach that because we have sympathy for the devs and their well being AND we all want the best possible version of that game on release, within reason. However turning this layover into a cash grab and the structure of your incremental monetization is beyond greedy. You can blame it on the economy all you want but in this economy, most everyone of us is suffering not just you as part of the global 2%. 

TBH the delays have only allowed me more time to research Snail Games and from what I've learned about the owners this move is less about the economy and more about forcing players to into some pay to play system that the true owner of the brand has always wanted. The expansion of the brand into an animated series is cool to think about as a fan and even more enticing because you brought some big names on board, but your latest roadmap has revealed your true glass-transparent intentions. 

Personally, as a player of 6 years and someone who was stoked about UE5 Ark and Ark 2 I'm done with you and the brand. Making rash decisions is not in my nature, but understand the bigger picture and your true intentions are clear in my mind. Bait and switch. Take the whole thing and peddle it to someone more gullible. 

There's a reason why games like SWG in the past had so much momentum and then completely failed and those reasons are the same with what you did here. Not respecting your player base and staying true to your word will turn off dedicated fans which is a horrible idea because they can be your best advocates at the end of the day and best form of advertisement. I'll forget about this brand soon enough, but not until my personal word of mouth and keys is spread to every gamer I've been associated with over the past 6 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 godzin temu BADBUNNYBADD powiedział:

Drogi Zespole Rozwoju Arki,

Byłem głęboko rozczarowany niedawnym ogłoszeniem, że zamkniecie wszystkie oficjalne serwery Ark: Survival Evolved. Jako ktoś, kto zainwestował w grę ponad 1000 godzin, nie mogę udowodnić, jak druzgocąca jest ta wiadomość dla mnie i wielu innych graczy.

Rozumiem, że zarządzanie serwerem może być obsługiwane i płatne, ale ta decyzja wydaje się zdradą lojalnych graczy. Wielu z nas wykorzystujeo swoją rolę budując swoją bazę, oswajając dinozaury i eksplorując potężny świat Ark. Zmarnowanie całego tego środowiska i czasu jest naprawdę przygnębiające.

Jako ktoś, kto zarabia około 20 euro na godzinę, nie mogę stać się wrażeniu, że ta decyzja to ogromna strata czasu i pieniędzy. Zakładając, że przeciętny gracz zarabia około 15 euro na godzinę, łączne godziny spędzone w Arce wywozu około godziny euro. Zamknięcie wszystkich zapisów serwerów i wymazywanie całego postępu i inwestycji jest po prostu nie do zrobienia.

Wzywam do zastosowania tej decyzji i sposobu na utrzymanie danych serwerów dla waszej pomocy bazy graczy. Jeśli ta decyzja się utrzyma, obawiam się, że nieodwracalnie nadszarpnie zaufanie i lojalność wielu graczy Arki.

Gdybym zarabiał połowę tego, co ty teraz (mam może 1/4 tego, co ty teraz zarabiasz...)  

Event if i had 1 000 000 € in my account, I dont buy on principle anyway... 

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, KingOfAshes said:

I browsed a bit to get some info on UE5 and to my understanding the engine was created specifically to allow UE4 games to be ported over to UE5

It's also not that simple. More than half of Ark is custom C++ code. It's not just using the UE4 framework. So I direct simple port like you are suggesting isn't on the table. 

Greedy Weasels! Wildcard always tells you 1 thing then goes and does another!! Ark 2 imo probably wont be out till 2025 or worse will never come out, but that may be a good thing since it will NOT be "ARK". Dark souls like? Lmfao, i hated dark souls played 5 min then never returned!! 3rd person only? Lmfao ya no thx. Just gave all my stuff away in ARK survival evolved! You lost a loyal player that will NOT be scammed into paying for ARK a 2nd time! 

Well done Wildcard.  Ignore the haters.  This is a 10/10 move.  Remaster with new content and features?  YES PLEASE!  Of course it's going to cost money.  Myself and most of the community will be glad to pay for the product.  WOW players pay up to $180 a year just to play.  $50 + DLC costs is nothing.  Let's goooo!!!!

• Facepalm 8

4 minutes ago, Xanadoo said:

Well done Wildcard.  Ignore the haters.  This is a 10/10 move.  Remaster with new content and features?  YES PLEASE!  Of course it's going to cost money.  Myself and most of the community will be glad to pay for the product.  WOW players pay up to $180 a year just to play.  $50 + DLC costs is nothing.  Let's goooo!!!!

Most of the community? You should try reading the posts made by the community, hell even people who usually defend WC are calling out their crap with this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Xanadoo said:

obvious snail-bot is obvious

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

"Not affiliated with @survivetheark"

That's a fan page. Has nothing to do with the company.  Nothing about that is official. It's just some dude on Twitter.

My anger got the better of me there & I'll admit I missed that. Thank you for correcting that for me.

I do still stand by my not a joke statement though. We've had nothing but radio silence from them, if it was a april 1st joke they should've said something by now.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It's also not that simple. More than half of Ark is custom C++ code. It's not just using the UE4 framework. So I direct simple port like you are suggesting isn't on the table. 

Working so much on band-aid fixes/workarounds and avoiding updating the game engine to newest version UE4 in Early Access sent its regards at last. 

I haven't logged it to this website for a few years after Wildcard disappointed me severely in Early Access, I guess some things never change. 

What annoys me the most about this:
Wildcard: "We have to delay ARK 2 to Q4 2024, we don't have anything to show you yet."
Also Wildcard: "ARK remsatered will be released in just 4 months! Trust us, "we are engineers", Oh! Also rebuy all your DLCs you already paid for! :3 But it's more! You preorder game that does not exist yet!"

ARK 2 does not have playable build after 2 years of development, only concept art that don't mean anything in a long run (they can be changed or thrown away). So why should we trust that remaster wouldn't be as buggy mess as ATLAS was.
They think they can take us for granted again and again...

My friends who played ARK more than me are beyond disgusted by this announcement and swore they would not play ARK 2 nor the remaster.    

Edited by Lewiatan
  • Thanks 1

I just registered only to write this comment.
I played ark on PS4 and bought all DLCs. Then, since the only next gen console version came for xbox series X, I bought the game and all DLCs AGAIN on that platform. Then, since you announced the unreal engine 5 version was coming for free, I bought Ark and all DLCs AGAIN for my steam deck, because I wanted to support you guys and despite all the bugs never fixed, I enjoyed the game.
Now I am so disappointed ASA and all expansions are meant to be bought again I can't even find the words to express how sad this is. Totally disrespectful towards your comunity. I disinstalled Ark on every platform I had it on and I'm never going back to play it again, ever!
I feel like I have been scammed.
Goodbye forever from a useless ex fan of yours. But we all know you don't care at all.

18 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

I don't tackle all of your points because you're posting walls of text whereas I being the criminally lazy goon I am prefer quick and concise points focused on the things I pipe up on unless something really vexes me into dragging it out. I skim for the points of interest and generally disregard everything else unless explicitly necessary to address. Some people will quit and likely move to unofficial or simply drop the game but not all of them will. If even one person stays put then it's still a net positive, if the people that choose to quit miss the window for a refund then why should wildcard care? They have your money, they clearly don't care about proper server maintenance, consumer satisfaction, or bugs so why should they care about a low player count? The Timmy point doesn't show anything about my mentality, it's to highlight the issue that while some are getting up to speed with beginner basics the alphas will already be halfway through the metal era. The funny thing in all this is I don't even play official, I run my own unofficial server cluster. I just really dislike the idea of people losing their work and being told to double dip into their wallets to get the dubious privilege of doing it all again from zero. It's nothing like building up a base and having an alpha steamroll it since you can at least attempt to fight back and walk away knowing you tried, it's more akin to watching a meteor the size of New Mexico barreling at you and knowing you can do nothing. The thought of it disgusts me.

We actually agree on more than we both realise :) /\

Edited by ancojo

Hope Jeremy is not a liar and he really wanted UE 5 upgrade to be free but Snail Games forced Wildcard to make it as paid DLC instead. Snail Games cares only about money so maybe they forced Wildcard to choose - ARK upgrade as paid DLC and paid expansions or NFT poop in ARK 2. If so, Wildcard just chose lesser evil. But it's still sad that Wildcard broke promise of ARK upgrade to be free for all ARK: Survival Evolved owners. They should make promises only if they are 100% sure that they can keep their word. It wasn't their first time.

• Like 1