How is there ping on a local server?

TimeBomb2003

I play Ark using ASM (Ark Server Manager). And what I don't understand is if I'm running the server on the same machine I'm playing on, there shouldn't be any ping, right?

I heard someone say that there will be ping if you join it normally, but not if you join it locally. Could someone tell me how to achieve this?

• Volunteer Moderator

Ping is just a sub application from the ICMP protocol. Ping sends an echo request to a network interface.

All (networked) programs on a computer open TCP/IP ports. Data is sent to and from these ports and the loopback interface. It's not something you see unless you do some digging with something like Wireshark. So even though you are 'local' the game is still opening and using these ports to communicate with the game client and the OS.

53 minutes ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

I play Ark using ASM (Ark Server Manager). And what I don't understand is if I'm running the server on the same machine I'm playing on, there shouldn't be any ping, right?

I heard someone say that there will be ping if you join it normally, but not if you join it locally. Could someone tell me how to achieve this?

To put it in less technical terms, the computer still has to "talk to itself".

You can see this by pinging 127.0.0.1 on any computer (also known as "the loopback address".)

image.png.c531c838fe63f3fc382411919bcaa73c.png

https://www.howtogeek.com/789017/what-is-the-127.0.0.1-ip-address-and-how-do-you-use-it/

Archived