Do you cook your meat when raising babies?

sjskdjkfa

Did you do the math, or experiment? Or did you decide based on a gut feeling that one way was better than the other? After having one tribe mate convince me to leave it all as raw, and years later a different tribemate convinced me to cook it all first, now I do some ratio.. I am settling in on tossing about 1/3 raw and 2/3 cooked into the wing, but i forget all the reasons and maths and so for me its a bit of all worlds, there were reasons but it's also fly by seat o pants thingy.

Case anyone is like wha? : There has been an on going debate among those who raise baby dinosaurs about whether it is better to cook the meat. Cooked meat lasts longer and stacks have more items. Raw give better food values.

I'm pretty sure you should use raw. Cooked meat is only really useful for humans, since the weird food poisoning deal. Creatures don't actually benefit from cooked meat (don't think so anyway-maybe check the wiki).

Note: just checked the wiki. Raw meat provides 50 food, while cooked meat provides 20. So definitely use raw meat.

Edited by Griffin998

17 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Did you do the math, or experiment? Or did you decide based on a gut feeling that one way was better than the other? After having one tribe mate convince me to leave it all as raw, and years later a different tribemate convinced me to cook it all first, now I do some ratio.. I am settling in on tossing about 1/3 raw and 2/3 cooked into the wing, but i forget all the reasons and maths and so for me its a bit of all worlds, there were reasons but it's also fly by seat o pants thingy.

Case anyone is like wha? : There has been an on going debate among those who raise baby dinosaurs about whether it is better to cook the meat. Cooked meat lasts longer and stacks have more items. Raw give better food values.

Short answer:

The more often you log in the more that you should use raw meat. If your life/job/family require you to log in less often then you want to lean more heavily on cooked meat.

Longer answer:

It depends on how active you are while the babies are growing up and how many you like to raise at one time. The main reason people use cooked meat is that it allows them to be logged off for a longer period of time between feedings. But this logic only works if they leave enough food to keep all of the babies alive while they're logged off.

Raw meat - 50 food, 40 stack size, 40 min spoil time

* 2000 food per stack (at first, with less per stack as the stacks start to spoil)

* Trough with 60 slots = 120,000 food max possible, in reality much less than this because of spoilage

* No matter how many stacks you put in the trough, the trough will finish spoiling after 26.67 hours

Cooked meat - 20 food, 50 stack size, 80 min spoil time

* 1000 food per stack (at first, with less per stack as the stacks start to spoil)

* Trough with 60 slots = 60,000 food max possible, in reality much less than this because of spoilage

* No matter how many stacks you put in the trough, the trough will finish spoiling after 66.67 hours

Unless you want to spend time doing the calculations, just make sure you have enough troughs to keep your babies alive for the amount of time you usually need to stay logged off and then make sure you top the troughs off when you do log in.

Note #1: In the past I've seen an equation that calculates how much max food value a trough provides when you consider that stack each stack in the trough provides less food as the meat in the stack starts to spoil, but I couldn't find that equation in my old notes or spreadsheets. My "gut estimate" would be that you should assume a full trough provides about 50% of the ideal maximum. In other words a full trough of raw meat realistically provides about 60,000 food and a full trough of cooked meat realistically provides about 30,000 food. Again, that's a gut estimate because I can't find or remember the actual calculation.

Note #2: These times are the base times. If you are in the habit of using preserving salt in your troughs then you can make the food last longer. I would venture that, for most players, it's well worth keeping salt in your troughs.

Note #3: If you really care about this question you should do a couple of small experiments that would help you decide what's right for you. First, hatch a single baby, fill a trough, then check on the trough every couple of hours so you can figure out how much of the food value the baby actually gets to eat until the whole trough spoils. By doing this you don't need to spend time doing abstract math, you can simply observer the results of your test baby to decide what you need.

For example: If a full trough gets eaten by a single baby in 12 hours, well then you need 2 troughs per baby every day. Conversely, if the trough is only half-eaten by the time you get to 24 hours then you only need half-a-trough per baby per day. You get the idea.

Note #4: It's also important to remember that food, eating and spoiling are only calculated when things are rezzed in. If you log off for 1 hour, then log back in and rez every thing in, the game will start by doing two calculations: 1) How much meat has spoiled from each stack during that time and 2) How much food does the baby need.

The game then spoils that much meat per stack, from every stack, all at the same time, and it drops the food value in the baby by that amount all at once.  If the baby does not instantly starve, the game then has the baby consume food from the trough. What this means is that you lose more meat to spoilage if you log in less often than you would loose if you log in more often.

If you stayed logged in the whole time, with your characters sitting in a chair, then the babies eat meat regularly, consistently, and you don't lose any extra meat to spoilage. But if you log off and log on, every time you log on and rez in your base, the game does the calculations and you lose a little extra meat to spoilage before the baby eats. And if you take a long time between logins you increase the chances of babies starving to death before they get to eat.

This is why many tribes make sure they keep someone logged in, sitting in a chair in the baby nursery, at all times, because this is the best way to reduce the amount of spoilage and to prevent babies from starving.

Edited by Pipinghot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

everytime i use cooked meat. combine with tek through is a best choice.

raw meat maybe give more food but babyfood and babyhp cap raising with  growing up. the more hp baby misses, the more eating . ,  raw meat give 5 hp  and have fast spoiltime. 40 per stack.
cooked meat have beter spoiltime and give 8hp ..
easy calculation for me cooked meat is better. 50 in stack lasts longer, gives more hp. and i have more time for  another work/fun.
if you raising baby on hi rate server with biger stacks, your choice is a raw meat.

Edited by tomlutom

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 6:08 PM, wizard03 said:

Honestly I think its too close to call myself. And I did try to raise 5 yuty babies overnight using cooked......full trough load of cooked meat and it was all empty next day, the only survivor, a single yuty who had a food mutation. x.x Official PvE legacy server.

Was the trough of cooked meat the only food trough you had? *ONE* yuty takes 8238 raw meat to go from baby to adult...cooked meat you'd double that amount. And you had 5?

Raw hamburger for the meat eaters gives the best but does not last.  If using an old trough or no mods you want to put in some cooked fish as well.  This give low amount of food benefit but lasts long in the trough. 

If you have the means to put in some kibble I think it will be the best backup?  But I've never tested this.  What not to do is jerky - no pet eats jerky just humans (strangely enough).

So I put in mostly raw hamburger, lot of raw fish, cooked hamburger, and cooked fish.  I use about 50 troughs (yeah nuts) cause I can fill them from the sea catches I make (normal official rates a large group of sarco on follow; shark and basil as well but sarco are the sea beasts).  I've done this both with Campfire or Industrial Grill (best investment useful upgrade).  Campfire is painful but played many restarts so sometimes no choice.

7 hours ago, margifish said:

Was the trough of cooked meat the only food trough you had? *ONE* yuty takes 8238 raw meat to go from baby to adult...cooked meat you'd double that amount. And you had 5?

yes, I cryo podded all other dino's up overnight just to make sure the only one's on the trough was the babies. and yeah, the only thing that was left was just some spoiled meat. So the 5 yuties did eat through the trough overnight

Lets just say I wasn't exactly well educated in the mannerisms of "online baby raising" and while I thought about cryo'ing them up, I wanted to try and speed things up since they needed an entire week to grow. So I tried to leave them out. I was also trying to get back on in like 8 hours, {I don't remember if it was that long or longer} but apparently it was too long. Also this was an official legacy server. Not sure if that makes a difference, but there you go

I play on official too...and yeah, yutys like rexes and gigas and the other big dinos are food vacuums; it takes a crap ton of meat to raise them. The 8,238 raw meat is from baby to adult, and that's just for *one*, let alone the other four you left out with it. Back before cryopods and maewings I'd have literally around ten troughs out, most filled with raw meat, maybe one full of cooked, and then another packed with basic (at that time dodo egg ) kibble just to be safe with valuable dinos like that. There are plenty of ark breeding calculators online where you can enter the type of dino and it'll tell you exactly how much food it needs to raise. It's a painful learning curve and most of us have had babies starve until we learned just how much they eat. :(