Leveling Dinos

SunsetErosion

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the xp gained for killing babies to my dinos (no wyvern) -> PvE
Am I missing something or is it not directly possible?
I am trying to level up (a Megaloceros) because you can use a weapon while riding...
The idea was, killing it with SWORD then devide xp with my pet -> not working :/

The method of giving it to another tribe, then start a "war" just to let me kill his babies for my own benefit is my only idea of a possible method.

Right?

I guess war's the only way indeed. Far as I know, only dinos on PVE that can be leveled by killing friendlies and are NOT wyverns are magmasaurs and basilisks (same method as for wyverns) and shoulder pets (pick one up, kill stuff yourself, pet gets a share of EXP. That's how I level my sinos and used to level my dimorphos).

2 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

I guess war's the only way indeed. Far as I know, only dinos on PVE that can be leveled by killing friendlies and are NOT wyverns are magmasaurs and basilisks (same method as for wyverns) and shoulder pets (pick one up, kill stuff yourself, pet gets a share of EXP. That's how I level my sinos and used to level my dimorphos).

One more post :) -> 1k posts...

8 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the xp gained for killing babies to my dinos (no wyvern) -> PvE
Am I missing something or is it not directly possible?

I'm pretty sure you claim the baby, then unclaim it, then mount the megaloceros and have the megaloceros kill it while mounted.

Or, if you use tame groups, put the megaloceros into a tame group by itself, select that tame group, and whistle Attack My Target. Depending on the species you're using for XP you might want to weaken them before you have the megaloceros attack.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

I'm pretty sure you claim the baby, then unclaim it, then mount the megaloceros and have the megaloceros kill it while mounted.

Or, if you use tame groups, put the megaloceros into a tame group by itself, select that tame group, and whistle Attack My Target. Depending on the species you're using for XP you might want to weaken them before you have the megaloceros attack.

unfortunately in PVE official, you can't kill unclaimed babies.  even if you claim them first.  Whenever they are unclaimed, they are in a different tribe, the tribe of the unclaimed.

Now, what if..... what if you went onto gen2.  Set up a pen that holds a bunch of babies ready to kill, and trap a wild noglin inside.  Let the noglin take control of the tame you want to level up.  Would it gain xp from killing the babies under the noglin's control?  

12 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

Now, what if..... what if you went onto gen2.  Set up a pen that holds a bunch of babies ready to kill, and trap a wild noglin inside.  Let the noglin take control of the tame you want to level up.  Would it gain xp from killing the babies under the noglin's control?  

Nice idea, but, doesnt work... I think tamed creatures dont get any xp at all killing something while not mounted, right? Ok, thats also not true, they do get xp. Something about this was true in the past I think though? But Noglin controlled creatures cant damage unclaimed dinos PvE, and dont get xp for killing claimed babies :/

I believe you have to enable PVP to get it to work.  I run my servers in PVP mode just for this very purpose even though my fam and friends don't really PVP.  As a dino breeder, I don't want to have to hack at a tame one at a time with a sword every time I get a bad stat mix.  I would rather breed up 6 imprinted dimorphs, have them anchored to a parasaur and use them to kill off unclaimed babies.  I honestly don't remember if I got exp from hacking at tames with a sword when I had PVE enabled, but when I switched the server to PVP, I was blown away by how much XP I got from chomping a group of 9 baby rexes with a thyla.  It was something like 2 to 3 levels worth.  It is one of the reasons I cranked XP gain way down after a server reset and why I no longer ride my... baby killers... man that sounds so wrong...

I am going to rethink my life choices now.

... what kind of example am I setting for my k....

*sniffle*

(edit:  Wanted to add that the last time I was personally riding the mount (leveling Allos and Thyla) doing the killing, if the if the physical hit killed the baby, the mount would get the xp, but the corpse would drop through the world.  If the bleed effect got the kill, the mount didn't get xp, but the corpse would be there to harvest.  This was a relatively new development for me.)

a few weeks ago I made quite a few attempts to find something that worked, I also asked AllOfTheAllos from whom I read that he also keeps a slaughterhouse Baby fridge but he too confirmed that it only works with shoulder animals (exp shared) and Wyrm/Magmar/Basil (creatures that damage allies even in PVE). Honestly, I hadn't thought about trying Noglin but in the meantime I don't have access to Genesis, so the only feasible thing would seem to create another Account that remains in "war" with your main Account, have a fridge with Pin code with animals to level up ( or conversely, those for slaughter) and log in with the secondary character when needed.

-- while we're on the subject: in PVE, in addition to the XP there is also the problem that it doesn't allow you to collect resources from the corpses of the puppies you've killed, so I abandoned the idea of raising Penguins and Ovis (Poly & Mutton) but I didn't investigate this because Gacha and Croquettes have better effects for me.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:40 PM, DaddyMike72 said:

I believe you have to enable PVP to get it to work.  I run my servers in PVP mode just for this very purpose even though my fam and friends don't really PVP.

I play official PvE, nothing I can change about that...

As a dino breeder, I don't want to have to hack at a tame one at a time with a sword every time I get a bad stat mix.  I would rather breed up 6 imprinted dimorphs, have them anchored to a parasaur and use them to kill off unclaimed babies. 

I only pile up on Giga and Carcha babies to kill for xp. Other dinos I just dump somewhere where they starve or get eated by wildlife...

I honestly don't remember if I got exp from hacking at tames with a sword when I had PVE enabled, but when I switched the server to PVP, I was blown away by how much XP I got from chomping a group of 9 baby rexes with a thyla.

Yeah, you will get xp for hacking it to death with a sword. Or if you kill it while riding a dino that has a "special" attack, like the Wyvern.

It was something like 2 to 3 levels worth.  It is one of the reasons I cranked XP gain way down after a server reset and why I no longer ride my... baby killers... man that sounds so wrong...

Well, at first it might seem game-breaking, especially if you start killing high level Rexes, Gigas (lvl 300+) You will end up level 100 in no-time...
But Im way past that and trying to get levels above lvl 130/140, you gonna want to do the baby killing, because there is practically no other proper way to get the amounts of xp needed to level up on official after that level...

4 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

I hadn't thought about trying Noglin but in the meantime I don't have access to Genesis,

I tested it on SP, I dont think official will be any different, DOES NOT WORK unfortunally...

so the only feasible thing would seem to create another Account that remains in "war" with your main Account, have a fridge with Pin code with animals to level up ( or conversely, those for slaughter) and log in with the secondary character when needed.

Probably save to post, but watch what you are saying/doing... COC... Is this illegal?

while we're on the subject: in PVE, in addition to the XP there is also the problem that it doesn't allow you to collect resources from the corpses of the puppies you've killed,

Thats weird. I dont think this is true. I have been able to collect from and eat my (dead) baby creatures. The thing is, if its not claimed by you, dead or alive, you cant damage it, so you also cant damage it to collect: Damage = farming...

2 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

I tested it on SP, I dont think official will be any different, DOES NOT WORK unfortunally...

Probably save to post, but watch what you are saying/doing... COC... Is this illegal?

It would be a violation of the rules on Small Tribes.  Possibly not on a traditional PVP server, unless you were trying to evade tame limits.

Thank you for testing the idea, I'm sorry to hear the devs already thought of that.

The only other speedy way to give free xp to your tames is to ride on the selected tame and have someone else in tribe start up grinders.  THat' the only efficient way I know of to get passive xp on mounts that can't hurt other tribe tames.

5 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

The only other speedy way to give free xp to your tames is to ride on the selected tame and have someone else in tribe start up grinders.  THat' the only efficient way I know of to get passive xp on mounts that can't hurt other tribe tames.

yes, that's basically what I used to do at the beginning, especially when I didn't have the Tek Replicator, I'm with a friend who doesn't always play every day so I was trying to program the resources for the Cryocaps/Cryofridge or saddles and structures and create everything in the weekend with the x2 (but I'm usually alone) but at advanced levels it's easier to hunt for Alpha by exterminating everything in my path. that's why I too was interested in BabyKilling...

8 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

Thats weird. I dont think this is true. I have been able to collect from and eat my (dead) baby creatures. The thing is, if its not claimed by you, dead or alive, you cant damage it, so you also cant damage it to collect: Damage = farming...

I'll try again tonight, I noticed this thing when I tried to kill the Baby for the XP (not for the resources), while for the Poly I equipped myself with Gacha 160%

Archived